Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #31
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy! View Post
320 feet for just one side is one big yard! A square acre is only 208.71 ft on all 4 sides.

Just remember, that if you ask them to pay for half, they get to make half the decisions.

They get to review your choice of contractor, choice of materials, choice of fence, etc. You will have to come to a compromise on everything.

If a neighbor came to me with a $4,000 bill for a fence they had already decided on, I would say no. I would let them put up their own fence and then put up mine for considerably less than $25.00 a foot.
It's actually around 60 foot of shared wall, once again $8000 for total fence. Yes, our yards are very large and this is just the back yard. We have large fronts. I have no issue with them helping to pick the contractor. We have gone with the best estimate and it is who did their fence. We have not gotten an estimate from who did our fence as I am not pleased with it. As for style of fence, they have their choice of modified good neighbor, or modified good neighbor cause thats what our subdivision says we can have. But they are certainly free to get other estimates. I woukd be thrilled if they can find someone to do it cheaper.
twinboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #32
gracie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted_to_WDW View Post
I'm not a kind and sweet DIS'er. Assuming I didn't need the fence, I'd tear down the one that's beyond repair, including the shared wall, and wait for them to replace it. They need one for their pool and why should you pay for it? Then, once they replace the fence, I'd put the rest of mine in. Like you said, they had free use of the fence for 6 years, now it's their turn to fund it.

If I needed the fence, I'd suck it up and pay for the whole thing without worrying about asking them for the money. You know they will be difficult, so why bother?
I would do this as well. You paid the first time around, let them pay this time.
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #33
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

I'd just tear my old one down and put the new one within the property line so they can't mooch of it. You have been nice enough letting them mooch off of yours for the last 6 years especially if their kid has been damaging it and you've been paying to fix it!

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV- October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!* UPCOMING: December 2015- BLT
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #34
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelA View Post
I'd just tear my old one down and put the new one within the property line so they can't mooch of it. You have been nice enough letting them mooch off of yours for the last 6 years especially if their kid has been damaging it and you've been paying to fix it!
Did I miss where OP said the kid had damaged her fence
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #35
poodlecamper
Earning My Ears

Have to tell my fence story. Moved in, neighbors on both sides and ballfield behind us had chain link---our house connected on each side with picket fence (already there when we moved in). Several years later, we moved one side back a few feet--lo and behold, we get a letter from neighbor's lawyer that we are on his property. Our lawyer responded "Prove it". So this idiot neighbor has the yard surveyed and HIS fence is 1 3/4 INCHES onto our yard!!! And the part that's over is under the ground, part of the cement. DH and I had a good laugh over it, and that was it. WELL.......a couple of weeks later here comes a fence company, and he has the entire side moved over about 3 feet. Now there's a 3 ft gap and my 2 little girls can get out of the yard. So when we were outside, I placed a garbage can in the gap (this was not visible from inside his house) but didn't leave it there. Another lawyer letter from him--"it's my property" We had to put up a fence with the 3 ft gap and so we wouldn't have to look at the grass that grew between (but couldn't be mowed) we put up a 6 ft stockade fence, with the "good" side towards us (in our area, the courteous thing is to face the good side to your neighbor) So he ended up with a mess on his side. So I guess I'm saying just put up the fence yourselves and forget about it. We finally moved.

Me DH DGD (16)
DGD(6) DGS (4)
poodlecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #36
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
Mississippi rain, heat, and hurricanes have destroyed the wood, despite it being pressure treated and stained. Their child also throws balls on it etc, kids stuff. The fence is currently on our property line. I am considering bringing it in to our property 6 inches if they will not pay for it and not allowing them to come off of it. BTW, we are not going to use the same company that put it up originally. I think the construction is pretty bad and it should have lasted another year or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
Did I miss where OP said the kid had damaged her fence
It was in a separate post.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV- October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!* UPCOMING: December 2015- BLT
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #37
lsyorke
DIS Veteran
Owner of squeeky bras

I just did new fencing in my backyard. My neighbor approached me trying to figure out who actually owned the old chain link that separates our yards. The old fence was mine, but I was very interesting in replacing it. We split the cost of the "common" section. (I love my neighbors, which makes it so nice! )

He did all the legwork getting estimates and I just approved and signed the check! Worked for me!
lsyorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #38
Tink888
Wishing I Was At World Showcase

I think the whole thing sounds petty. You originally chose to put the fence around your yard. You put it on the property line. You chose to put your fence up first. If the fence is in bad condition and you want a new fence, pay the money and put it up.

If you are worried about your neighbors mooching off of one side of your fence, put the new one a few feet in on your property and be done with it. They can pay to fence the now open side. You'll have spent money, they'll hav spent money and everyone will have their own fence eliminating the need for any future fence drama. And if they decide to leave an open gap, it's not your problem.

Sure you can ask them, but from the vibe you give off as to how you feel about them, it doesn't sound like it would go well no matter what they might agree to.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #39
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

Gosh I miss my old neighbor... my old neighbor came to me one day and said.. I'm getting a new fence for us between our house... I said what do you want for it? she said nothing smiled and walked away... she just wanted to warn me because of the dog and the fence would be down for a day or so...

The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. - 11
HelenePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #40
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

I was in a similar situation years ago. I needed a fence because I had dogs. I put up a six foot privacy fence. The neighbors behind me weren't happy about this. They wanted a picket fence.

I put my fence up on the property line. They put a picket fence about three feet inside their property. In the end, it did not work out well for them. Weeds grew up in the area between the two fences. It didn't bother me because I had the privacy fence. From their side, it looked horrible. It made them very angry and we were never on good terms from that point forward.

OP, if you decide to move your fence in on your property and your neighbor puts up their own fence, who will maintain the area in between? It should be your neighbors because it will be their land, but there is no guarantee that they will do so.

To me, it would not be worth the aggravation this could cause with your neighbors. I would tell your neighbors politely that the fence section needs replacing and how much just that section will cost. Ask them if they will go half with you on that part of the fence. If not, tell them that you will be taking the fence down. Wait to see what happens. In the end, you can always put up your fence, but don't bite your nose off to spite your face by moving it when it could create an eyesore just to spite your neighbors.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #41
sookie
DIS Veteran

It sounds like there aren't strong neighborly bonds, so I would probably just notify them that you are tearing down the fence. Make sure you have a property line survey done first. That would be simplest and you could do what you please.

If you really don't NEED the fence - I'd wait a while to put it back up.

If you need the fence- I would move it farther into your property line and I would not let them mooch earlier.

I guess in your tear down letter you could say that you might put in a fence in the future, as you had gotten an estimate. You could let them know it was from XX company whom they had used before, and they indicated that the cost of the shared fence would be 700 dollars. IF they would like to contribute you would be willing to keep it on the property line, but otherwise you are moving the fence into your property line to decrease your costs. Just be nice.

Helen that would be great! Off topic - I'm a tetris addict too.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #42
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Here all fences are to be 12 inches from the property line so that leaves 24 inches in between. This is supposed to make it easier to take care of the lawn in between and no neighbors mooching off your fence. If neighbors do put a fence on the property line in order to "share" a side then all parties involved have to sign a special document.

I would take down the old fence, put up a new fence that is at least 12 inches from the line and make sure that your neighbors don't try to add on to your fence.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #43
castmemberb4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted_to_WDW View Post
I'm not a kind and sweet DIS'er. Assuming I didn't need the fence, I'd tear down the one that's beyond repair, including the shared wall, and wait for them to replace it. They need one for their pool and why should you pay for it? Then, once they replace the fence, I'd put the rest of mine in. Like you said, they had free use of the fence for 6 years, now it's their turn to fund it.

If I needed the fence, I'd suck it up and pay for the whole thing without worrying about asking them for the money. You know they will be difficult, so why bother?
I agree.
They've been using/abusing your fence for 6 years.
It's their turn to pony up.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #44
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Update: well, I decided to go talk to my neighbor instead of stressing anymore over it. I also caught her in the yard which is rare. Figured it was now or never. Her initial reaction was that no, theynwouldn't pay. I said ok and told her I would just take it down and wouldn't put it back up. Thanked her for her time and told her would let her know what day we would take it down so she could lock her dogs up.

A few minutes later she knocked on our door and told her she had talked it over with her husband and that they would pay for half. So it has turned out ok. So for those that were helpful, thank you. I appreciate the support.
twinboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #45
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
Update: well, I decided to go talk to my neighbor instead of stressing anymore over it. I also caught her in the yard which is rare. Figured it was now or never. Her initial reaction was that no, theynwouldn't pay. I said ok and told her I would just take it down and wouldn't put it back up. Thanked her for her time and told her would let her know what day we would take it down so she could lock her dogs up.

A few minutes later she knocked on our door and told her she had talked it over with her husband and that they would pay for half. So it has turned out ok. So for those that were helpful, thank you. I appreciate the support.
You did the right thing. They really had no choice but to pay half. In a way you are being very nice. You could have just torn the fence down and waited. They would have had to put a new one up.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: