Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Fence etiquette update post #44

Ok everyone. WWYD? Six years ago we purchased our home. Our neighbors to the left also purchased at the same time, moved in the same day. We put a fence up first even though we were fully aware they were waiting us out. They had dogs and a small child and have a small pond to the left of their property. We felt like we had to have it so up it went. The day after ours was up they had the fence people over giving them an estimate and theirs went up the next week. Of course, they came off of our existing side. Fast forward to now, our fence needs to be replaced. It is beyond repair. They have now put in a pool and city and county laws require that they maintain a fenced yard. I woukd like to ask the neighbors to split the cost of that wall. DH just wants to put it up and not worry about them. We are not friendly in any way with them, they don't wave back, we have very rarely spoken. The wife stands on our property line when she waters grass and if even a smidge of water crosses the property line she moves the sprinkler. Me, I just water the entire piece between our houses. The total price for the fence is $8000 so not a small amount of money.

Part of me feels that if they won't split the cost of the wall to not put it up and wait them out. I want a fence but am not required to have it. I know that's ugly but it is a huge chunk of change and they have had one entire wall of their fence free to them for 6 years.

Last edited by twinboysmom; 10-01-2011 at 08:56 PM.
twinboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

If the original fence was yours then just replace it and don't worry about them. My neighbors are also not the friendliest of people. They had pitbulls in their yard and left them chained without a fence. We had to put up a fence. Since then, their little boy thinks it's cute to practice his batting against the fence WE put up and he's cracked it in spots. I just can't wait to move.
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
AlwaysMoving
DIS Veteran

The person who owns the fence will ensure the fence is well within their boundary, so if my neighbor wanted to replace a fence that was separating the property line, there is no way I would help purchase it. Reason being, if in the future the new people wanted to tear down the fence and not replace it, I would be out of my investment, since it is not on my property.
AlwaysMoving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboysmom View Post
We are not friendly in any way with them, they don't wave back, we have very rarely spoken.
Then good luck trying to get them to pay half. I'm sorry you're going through this. It's terrible to have unfriendly neighbors.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #5
YodaGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysMoving View Post
The person who owns the fence will ensure the fence is well within their boundary, so if my neighbor wanted to replace a fence that was separating the property line, there is no way I would help purchase it. Reason being, if in the future the new people wanted to tear down the fence and not replace it, I would be out of my investment, since it is not on my property.
This.

WDW
Nov '82 OP, Aug '86 FtW, May '87 OP, May '89 FtW, Jun '91 FtW, July '96 Poly, July '97 FtW, July '04 FtW, March '06 FtW, May '09 FtW, Oct '10 FtW, Mar '13 FtW

YodaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
Andrea
DIS Veteran
I couldnt decide which one to do first, come check here or the coupons
The Tag Fairy thinks Andrea rocks too!

We were in the same boat. We just went ahead and replaced it, we didn't even want to deal with them.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Either do not put one up, theyll have to do it...and they will prob wait and wait till forced too ....which unless someone reports it OR next summer comes when they actually have to worry about it
OR
put it up/pay and forget about it
OR
if you are gutsy, you can walk over, say that you will not be putting up a fence due to cost UNLESS (and since they are required by the local ordinance to have it) would they like to SPLIT the cost ( since you also benefit from it, like THEY did all these past years.)
Either way, ANY fence does NOT have to go ON the property line, you just have to be sure it is IN your line, and NO, depsite what some may think, the property does NOT go to the neighbor, as long as you place ANY marker stating its yours (you can check with your local govt office)
GOOD LUCK, sounds like youll need it!
Old 10-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaGirl View Post
This.
actually, if it is ON the line then yes, youd BOTH own it, especially if paying 1/2 for it. Keep it documented. Meanwhile, IF you do it ON your prop line, you can say you do NOT want anything attached to YOUR fence, theyd have to do additional posts (and fencing) themselves...but what a nightmare............
Old 10-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
addicted_to_WDW
He's a teenaged skate rat. I'm a 39 year old woman.
If you hear The Imperial March when you see me.. run for cover!

I'm not a kind and sweet DIS'er. Assuming I didn't need the fence, I'd tear down the one that's beyond repair, including the shared wall, and wait for them to replace it. They need one for their pool and why should you pay for it? Then, once they replace the fence, I'd put the rest of mine in. Like you said, they had free use of the fence for 6 years, now it's their turn to fund it.

If I needed the fence, I'd suck it up and pay for the whole thing without worrying about asking them for the money. You know they will be difficult, so why bother?
Old 10-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #10
rchristiansen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted_to_WDW View Post
I'm not a kind and sweet DIS'er. Assuming I didn't need the fence, I'd tear down the one that's beyond repair, including the shared wall, and wait for them to replace it. They need one for their pool and why should you pay for it? Then, once they replace the fence, I'd put the rest of mine in. Like you said, they had free use of the fence for 6 years, now it's their turn to fund it.

If I needed the fence, I'd suck it up and pay for the whole thing without worrying about asking them for the money. You know they will be difficult, so why bother?
Ohh that's an interesting point. Do you even want a fence? Maybe just take down the 3 sides of the bad fence and leave the one shared side up. They will have to eventually repair it themselves because it's "their" fence because YOUR yard doesn't have a fence anymore Sneaky.
rchristiansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #11
lizanne
DIS Veteran

I was in your neighbors situation. Neighbor put up the original fence, we got a pool, the original fence was on property line so we used that on the one side. Eventually the neighbor moved. We had planted shrubs in front of that fence and could really see only the top of the fence which looked fine.

One day we got a "friendly" letter from the township that we were in violation and need to replace the fence. Seems the current neighbor reported the condition of the fence because they could see it on their side. I'm sure they assumed we were the one's who originally put it up.

We replaced it. They were right, it needed to be replaced and we needed to have a fence on all sides around the pool. We really have no relationship with these people. They have lived there for years (move than 10) but when they moved in we just never connected.

I never held it against them and no words have ever been spoken between us. My DH wasn't thrillled about the way it was handled but I think it worked out for the best
lizanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
happygirl
DIS Veteran

I would just pay it myself.

I'm curioous how a fence goes so bad in 6 years you have to replace it
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:15 PM   #13
jaminmd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted_to_WDW View Post

After dealing with moronic neighbors, I am inclined to agree with you.
jaminmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

I'd say they breached etiquette when they used YOUR fence as one of their fence walls without asking first, probably saving themselves some money in the process. So I would not expect them to honor any normal etiquette. I have some questions:

1. is it 8000 to replace your whole fence, or just that one side? Assuming 4 sides they can chip in for the one side, or 1K

2. What kind of fence costs 8k?!!! Is it gold plated or decorated with diamonds? How big is the shared wall?

3. What causes a super expensive fence to go bad after only 6 years? How bad is it? Did a tree fall on it? Do you live in a snowy area?

4. Is it normal for people to just use part of your fence without asking? Isn't it on YOUR property line? Doesn't it have to be within your property meaning they are using your property for part of thei side of the fence?

My suggestion is this: ask them to split the cost of the shared wall only and show them an estimate. If they say no, wait it out and let it fall down. Then report them to the city for not having a fence for the pool. No love lost they sound like jerks anyway for having used yours without permission first. Or tear down YOUR whole fence. Including the shared wall since it was yours. Let them replace their one wall.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #15
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
I would just pay it myself.

I'm curioous how a fence goes so bad in 6 years you have to replace it
Mississippi rain, heat, and hurricanes have destroyed the wood, despite it being pressure treated and stained. Their child also throws balls on it etc, kids stuff. The fence is currently on our property line. I am considering bringing it in to our property 6 inches if they will not pay for it and not allowing them to come off of it. BTW, we are not going to use the same company that put it up originally. I think the construction is pretty bad and it should have lasted another year or two.
twinboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: