Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #61
Oliquig
Mouseketeer
 
Oliquig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminyfan View Post
We had planned surprise trip for our son in november. We had it all planned out, he would come home from school that day get an enveloped that had certificates for
LAVA cakes at the Ireland booth for F&W. All was going great, he had no clue, but then the school decided to give him the legal excuse paper to bring home to us, even though it had a big note on it not to do it as the trip was a surprise.

Needless to say we were not too happy with the school and the procedures.

They called to apologize, but like I told them too late. I asked them if they would mind me going over to their house and tell each of their children all of their Christmas gifts were and allowed them to open them without them being there to see their face and experience their joy.

Only then did they realize how important this was to us.

Oh well, we still get to go and have fun. but, we all missed out on a great family moment.
Oh, that stinks.

I am planning a trip with my bff as a surprise for her daughter, for February 2012. It is so hard to keep it a secret, I ended up starting a PTR just to share everything. I have surprises for my bff too, so I can't share all with her. The plan is to do the big box of balloons on Christmas day. Noelle's b-day (my bff's daughter) is the day after Christmas, so it should be an exciting few days.
__________________
Oliquig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #62
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!
 
MouseEarsForAll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: I am in this world, but I am not of it.
Posts: 2,225

Bump! How did it get on the 4th page?...
__________________
To love is to obey. To obey is to live.

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #63
d1gitman
Mad About The Mouse!
 
d1gitman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lexington, MA
Posts: 4,413

our surprise trip this year will be under the tree...flying to WDW on 12/25 and returning 1/1. The kiddos will be out of their minds.
d1gitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #64
Oliquig
Mouseketeer
 
Oliquig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 265

Just an idea for those who are surprising the kiddos on Christmas Day with balloons, as I am, if you were worried about the balloons lasting until Christmad morning, as I am. Toys R Us has a helium tank for $20, which is cheaper than the party stores. I saw it there yesterday, so I'm going to pick it up this weekend. I figure I don't want to chance saggy balloons.
__________________
Oliquig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #65
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran
 
DisMomAmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 7,961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliquig View Post
Just an idea for those who are surprising the kiddos on Christmas Day with balloons, as I am, if you were worried about the balloons lasting until Christmad morning, as I am. Toys R Us has a helium tank for $20, which is cheaper than the party stores. I saw it there yesterday, so I'm going to pick it up this weekend. I figure I don't want to chance saggy balloons.
Great idea! We're just planning to buy mylar balloons because they last longer. I'll probably get four balloons so it will be cheaper than buying a tank, but if you want a lot of balloons, the tank could be cheaper than buying mylar balloons.

Only one more week to go until our surprise!
DisMomAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #66
budafam
DIS Veteran
 
budafam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,304

They have those tanks at Walmart as well. We just picked one up for MIL's surprise 50th birthday party tomorrow. It'll be a double whammy surprise... she thinks we hired Mickey & Minnie to be here for 3:00 so she's going to pull in the driveway (bringing our kids back from 2 days at her house) and when we open the garage door, it'll be all her friends & family... SURPRISE! lol...

Then at 3am when we wake up DS, he's going to find out what his big surprise is. I'll post back here once we return. Can't wait!!!
budafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #67
katt789
DIS Veteran
 
katt789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 5,590

I'm in the process of putting together & working out the kinks in a surprise trip for Sept 2012 for my mom. In 97, as a single, part time working mother, she somehow managed to take me to DL, and after I planned my first WDW trip, I realized how much went into it, and decided it would be best to surprise her with something in return.

We live about 3 hours apart, so I've asked her if for her birthday next year (which is right before we leave) she will come down to my city, spend a couple days there, and some time out in the mountains too. This way she has the time off, and is completely free for the week.

This is where things get sticky, as I might just wake her up at 4am saying we have to leave, cause "We're going to WDW" Or I might call her in advance so she has a couple of days to prep.

During the trip, there will be more surprises such as: AKL, Savannah view (she looooves all things Africa) and a dinner at CRT for her bday, hopefully with a firework view!
__________________
In Progress Trip Reports
May 2014 (24 hr day)//Villains Unleashed!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy




katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #68
Wendy13
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 28

I'm such a sap! I'm getting all teary eyed reading these.

We're surprising my 2-almost-3 year old for his birthday in January. The main reason I'm not telling him is b/c he has no concept of time or distance and he'll think we're going right this minute.

I don't plan on telling him until we're pulling in the parking lot! I might even wait to see if he figures it out. He's a smart little cookie.

We talk about Disney and who lives there. He'll say "that's Disney" when the commercials come on. Of course he watches the Disney Junior shows and some of the movies.

We're not doing any "big" presents for Christmas, but I'll have a few small things for him to open, like a Mickey shirt, and some other Disney odds n ends.

Reading everyone's plans already has me thinking ahead! I'd like to go back in 2 years for his 5th birthday and that will definitely be a surprise.
Wendy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #69
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!
 
MouseEarsForAll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: I am in this world, but I am not of it.
Posts: 2,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by budafam View Post
They have those tanks at Walmart as well. We just picked one up for MIL's surprise 50th birthday party tomorrow. It'll be a double whammy surprise... she thinks we hired Mickey & Minnie to be here for 3:00 so she's going to pull in the driveway (bringing our kids back from 2 days at her house) and when we open the garage door, it'll be all her friends & family... SURPRISE! lol...

Then at 3am when we wake up DS, he's going to find out what his big surprise is. I'll post back here once we return. Can't wait!!!
Have fun! Definitely post! Can't wait to hear how it turned out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
I'm in the process of putting together & working out the kinks in a surprise trip for Sept 2012 for my mom. In 97, as a single, part time working mother, she somehow managed to take me to DL, and after I planned my first WDW trip, I realized how much went into it, and decided it would be best to surprise her with something in return.

We live about 3 hours apart, so I've asked her if for her birthday next year (which is right before we leave) she will come down to my city, spend a couple days there, and some time out in the mountains too. This way she has the time off, and is completely free for the week.

This is where things get sticky, as I might just wake her up at 4am saying we have to leave, cause "We're going to WDW" Or I might call her in advance so she has a couple of days to prep.

During the trip, there will be more surprises such as: AKL, Savannah view (she looooves all things Africa) and a dinner at CRT for her bday, hopefully with a firework view!
No prep...Just wing it! It would drive me crazy to wait...Is that how your mom is?
__________________
To love is to obey. To obey is to live.

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #70
dprincessmom
Mouseketeer
 
dprincessmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 471

Surprise Balloons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliquig View Post
Just an idea for those who are surprising the kiddos on Christmas Day with balloons, as I am, if you were worried about the balloons lasting until Christmad morning, as I am. Toys R Us has a helium tank for $20, which is cheaper than the party stores. I saw it there yesterday, so I'm going to pick it up this weekend. I figure I don't want to chance saggy balloons.


If you have a Dollar Tree they have a great selection of mylar balloons that last weeks. If you don't want to mess with a tank (or the noise that will be emitted when the balloons are blown up) this might be the way to go. They have Disney characters and also stars of different colors.

Have fun - 49 days until our surprise trip - can't wait
__________________
Me DH DD (8) DS (miss him everyday)
dprincessmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #71
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran
 
DisMomAmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 7,961

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprincessmom View Post
If you have a Dollar Tree they have a great selection of mylar balloons that last weeks. If you don't want to mess with a tank (or the noise that will be emitted when the balloons are blown up) this might be the way to go. They have Disney characters and also stars of different colors.

Have fun - 49 days until our surprise trip - can't wait
Great idea! I didn't even think of the dollar store!
DisMomAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #72
Akwafunk
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 196

Some last minute planning means we'll be taking the boys and my mum to Universal and Disney just after New Year.

It's going to be a surprise Christmas present for them.

I think, after reading some threads, that I will add the box of balloons to the presentation. I've bought them themed lanyards for the parks, and will have these attached to balloon bundles with (photocopies of) the tickets in the holders. The 6 year old will probably be able to figure it out, although the 3 year old is pretty sharp too. They've been to Universal once, this will be the first Dis trip.

Because they're small, and because they have to wait 8 days to actually go on the trip, I am amassing a bunch of park-related items for them to unwrap each day, rather like an advent calendar. So far I have a couple of POTC and Star Wars pins for the Disney lanyards, Gryffendor scarves, POTC Disney Dollars, prefect badges, Quidditch Goggles etc and some really cool Potter T-shirts from Red Bubble. I also bought a pin lot off e-Bay for them to trade with while in the parks.

Both are in ferocious save-up-money mode for "Christmas" without realizing that they're saving up to be able to buy stuff at the parks! Also, but buying some merchandize beforehand we avoid them wanting to buy the $40+ scarves.


It's going to be fun.

Last edited by Akwafunk; 11-07-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Akwafunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #73
ollynholly
Mouseketeer
 
ollynholly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 81

My DH and I are working on a Christmas surprise for my mom, brother, sister, her fiance and son. Our trip won't be til next November though. But since we're 6 adults and 1 toddler, we have to give everyone a big heads up. That way everyone will be able to plan their vacations with their jobs.

Anyway, I was going to work on tie dye shirts to give as gifts. But would like some other ideas on how to surprise them. Thought about maybe doing a scavenger hunt or some other kind of fun. Any thoughts?!
__________________
DH DW DD
WDW: Nov 2010-POP * Nov 2012-POP * May 2014-CBR * Oct 2014-ASmo *
DCL: Oct 2011-Eastern Caribbean * Sept 2012-Canada/New England Coast
ollynholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #74
popej1
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 49

We are planning a surprise trip for our boys. We leave in 11 days! We are planning on picking them up from school at lunchtime and surprising them outside of the school, then leaving straight from there. We will have to spend the night somewhere along the way. We are staying at CBR in a pirate themed room and we are doing the Pirates & Pals cruise and The Pirates League. We have reservations at Chef Mickey's, Tusker House, and Hollywood & Vine for breakfast, Tony's for lunch, and Les Chefs de France and Crystal Palace for dinner.
popej1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:22 PM   #75
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!
 
MouseEarsForAll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: I am in this world, but I am not of it.
Posts: 2,225

All these surprise trips...wish someone would plan one for me...
__________________
To love is to obey. To obey is to live.

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
disney, disneyland, surprise, trip, wdw



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: