Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
CattailGal
Mouseketeer

Walk in to Character Meal?

We have reservations at the Tusker House. Now my MIL and SIL will join us for several days of the trip. I can't add them - or book them on their own. My kids want to do this ONE character meal. Is it possible to get reservations the day of the meal? Any suggestions? I suppose I'll have to cancel it. No availability the rest of the trip, either...

KC
CattailGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Tusker House has become the "it" character breakfast. Our last 2 times dining here, they were seating quite a bit behind ADR time and they were taking no walkups.

Can't your MIL and SIL do something on their own that morning while you take your children to this breakfast? Certainly they will understand how important this is to your kiddos.

Whatever you do, do not cancel this ADR. There is a slight chance you could get them squeezed onto your seating at the podium but there's probably no way you would get your entire group seated as a walkup without an ADR.

We go with extended family quite often. We do not expect to eat all meals together. I'm the grandparent and if one (or all) of my children want to do a character meal with their children and there's no room for me, I would be fine with that. I'd be heartbroken if they canceled to accomodate me.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Since the ADR is important to your kids, I would keep it. Surely your MIL and SIL will understand that they won't be able to join you.

The chances of you being able to cancel and then get a walk up are basically zero.

Alesia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
Disney Crazy Debbie
DIS Veteran

I know that for me, I can't seem to stress enough to my family how important it is to plan ahead. But I am making the ADRs for everyone and while it is like everyone's first time of planning, staying on property and doing the DxDDP I have some experience so I have made list of planned days, restaurants, etc. and they never respond so they get what I plan. I know it's a while before we go but with everyone having children in school, scouts, etc. I wanted to get an approval for the dday of calling...2.2.12.

1975 - Holiday Inn, Orlando; 12/1975 (WDW), 2/1976 (WDW), 4/1976 (WDW) and 4/83 (DL) - day visits; 6/80 - Lake Buena Vista; 9/2000 Caribbean Beach Resort; 8/2004 POFQ; 8/2006 BCR and Disney Cruise; 6/2007 Disney Land Paris; 07/31/2012 Port Orleans French Quarters
Disney Crazy Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Don't give up Tusker House, especially if it is your only character meal. Delicious food, beautiful décor, great character interaction. We loved it and it will be the first reservation I try to make on my 180 day mark. You tried and that is all they can expect coming on late like this.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
CattailGal
Mouseketeer

I've probably checked at least 100 times in the past two weeks, trying to add my MIL and SIL. It just clearned - I was able to change the reservation for the whole party at Tusker House. I can't believe it!

KC
CattailGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CattailGal View Post
I've probably checked at least 100 times in the past two weeks, trying to add my MIL and SIL. It just clearned - I was able to change the reservation for the whole party at Tusker House. I can't believe it!

KC
Talk about the pixie dust! HOORAY!

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
stargazertechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
KrysiaG
Mouseketeer

Were were able to add my parents onto our existing reservation for Cinderella's Royal Table on 7/6/11. We had a reservation for 6, as that was all that was available. We were told by the reservation person on the phone to try to have my parent's added to our meal as a walk on. They allowed it. My parents were able to dine with us (for lunch) at CRT without the reservation.

It wouldn't hurt to ask once you are there checking in! It worked for us.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #9
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

Quote:

KC
That is great news. I hope you enjoy your experience there.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
PrincessMommy09
Earning My Ears

Quote:

KC
That's awesome!!! I've been trying to add a Tusker House breakfast ADR for about a month. I'm hoping we'll get some pixie dust and be able to get a reservation. Maybe I'll go check now
PrincessMommy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
TravelGrl
Mouseketeer

Quote:

KC

Yay! It pays to be persistent. Now your kids still get to have the experience they really wanted, and you aren't leaving anyone out.
TravelGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #12
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure how you are going about trying to add guests (online?) - but more than once, I've been able to call WDW dining and have an extra person (or two) added to our existing reservations. Only a few places were not able to do that. (mostly signature dining places) However.....if I know that a family member is MAYBE joining us for a trip to WDW - I include them in my initial reservations, THEN I call closer to my dates and have the reservations modified if that person decides they can't go. More than one CM has told me that it's WAY easier to drop a guest than to add one.

I try to respect WDW, but it's kind of crazy that you have to plan your dining months (180 days) in advance.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Do not cancel the ADR. I think you should be fine. If they show up with you at the podium, they should accept them and bring them too (as it is more money for Disney), it may be a 'tight table', but still.
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #14
Silver Queen
DIS Veteran

So happy it worked out for everyone! Have a great time!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:

KC
That's fantastic! Persistence pays! I took my DS3 there for breakfast in May and we had a blast. Have a great time!
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: