Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Belle0101
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

What's that smell? Rotten cauliflower!

I was cleaning out our fridge and found a Tupperware container pushed to the back. I opened it and, gross, it was rotten cauliflower! Hindsight being 20/20, I should have just tossed the container

Instead I dumped the cauliflower into the disposal and put the Tupperware in the dishwasher. I've run the disposal with ice and baking soda in it and it still smells like death. I ran the dishwasher and now the entire dishwasher, and everything plastic in it, smells like death.

Any ideas? I've got a candle burning in the kitchen but it still smells in there.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
LuvsDragonflies
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry, but smells like death made me lol.

Maybe vinegar?

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. ~ Abraham Lincoln
"Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith"-- Robert G. Ingersoll
LuvsDragonflies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Uncle Remus
Raconteur
can't name 'em Jeb, George, and Barbara, these are GOOD dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle0101 View Post

I was cleaning out our fridge and found a Tupperware container pushed to the back. I opened it and, gross, it was rotten cauliflower! Hindsight being 20/20, I should have just tossed the container

Instead I dumped the cauliflower into the disposal and put the Tupperware in the dishwasher. I've run the disposal with ice and baking soda in it and it still smells like death. I ran the dishwasher and now the entire dishwasher, and everything plastic in it, smells like death.

Any ideas? I've got a candle burning in the kitchen but it still smells in there.
Fry some catfish, that'll mask any smell.

Uncle Remus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Tinkh
DIS Veteran

Baking soda and vinegar. Let it all bubble like crazy in there. I would throw the plastics out.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Get rid of the plastic containers. Cut up a lemon (or 5 ) and grind it through the disposal.

Empty the dishwasher, dump a bottle of vinegar in the bottom and run a cycle empty.

That should get rid of the smell.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #6
Belle0101
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

It's okay to laugh over the death smell.

This is how it went last night (DH was in the living room and I was in the kitchen):

DH: "What's that smell?"

Me: "What smell?"

DH: "It smells like something died. Is there a carcass in the backyard?"

Me: "A carcass? How would a carcass get into our backyard?"

DH: "I don't know. Maybe the dogs caught something."

Me: "I don't know. I'm not going out to check."

DH: "Ok, that's really bad. What died? It's in the house."

Me: (At this point I couldn't stand being in the kitchen so I went in the living room and had to fess up.) "It's rotten cauliflower."

It just got even more funny after that. DH was pulling his shirt up over his nose, I was gagging, the kids were complaining, the dogs were liking the smell ...

I appreciate the tips. No offense but I think I'll skip the catfish tip. I'd have to post how to get rid of catfish smell after that.

I'll be heading out to the store soon for vinegar and lemons and more baking soda.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:

This is how it went last night (DH was in the living room and I was in the kitchen):

Me: (At this point I couldn't stand being in the kitchen so I went in the living room and had to fess up.) "It's rotten cauliflower."

It just got even more funny after that. DH was pulling his shirt up over his nose, I was gagging, the kids were complaining, the dogs were liking the smell ...

I appreciate the tips. No offense but I think I'll skip the catfish tip. I'd have to post how to get rid of catfish smell after that.

I'll be heading out to the store soon for vinegar and lemons and more baking soda.

Why don't you serve cauliflower for dinner tonight? You need to replace it, just like I replace the cantaloupe that gets bad in the fruit drawer every couple of weeks or so.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:

"What smell, honey? I don't smell anything?"
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #9
acejka
DIS Veteran

at least it wasn't a rotten potato! i think rotten potatoes beat everything!
Old 09-30-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We wouldn't have gotten that far. As soon as I cracked that baby open, I'da be gaggin' all over the place.

I don't do smells well at all. I really, really try not to do science fair experemints in the fridge. And if I do, I make DH or one of the kids check out the outcome of food forgotten in the far reaches of the fridge.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
shortbun
Peacenik

I knew as soon as I saw the title that you had opened a container from the fridge. I Never store broccoli or cauliflower.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #12
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

When I've had a smelly problem (rotten potatoes ) with the DW and disposal I've run them both with bleach. Really seems to take care of the problem. The whole house reeks of bleach after but it's better than the rotten smell.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: