Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Jen12573
DIS Veteran

Park planning for Christmas...tips? (yikes!)

DH and I usually go to WDW in January. This year we went at the end of February-early March. We just found out that the older soccer team he coaches got in to the Disney College Showcase. So, we are heading down for the tournament - we're leaving on Christmas Day , returning on New Year's Eve. The rates for flights were better those two days vs. leaving on 12/26 and returning on 1/1. I can't believe we're going a second time in one year, but it's practically a free trip for us, we can't pass it up!

I thought I had my park plan all figured out, but I think utilizing the PM EMH is not a good idea during that week. We'll still go to the parks for AM EMH when we can (based on the soccer game schedule) heck like we've done for other tournaments there we'll stop in the park we're going to hit that day to ride a ride or two and get a couple FP, then head to the game, but will probably hop over to a non-PM EMH park after the games. I was looking on a free crowd calendar (sorry, I can't remember the website), and the new plan seems like it might work if we don't do PM EMH.

What tips can you give someone who has never been to WDW during the peakest of peak times during the year? Oh, and I should add that we don't have kids of our own, and we are definitely expecting crazy crowds. We'll get by. I did see one tip about going to watch Osborne Lights during F! because most of the crowds will be at F! during that time...

Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
kirrrby
We're all mad here....

MK during the WHOLE week will probably fill to capacity (there are different levels though) before noon. So utilize AM emh's at MK when you can. Epcot is the biggest park, head there in the afternoons it doesn't seem as crowded. Hopefully you have Park Hoppers. Osbourne Lights during Fantasmic is the best time to go. But it's still pretty crowded. If you want to rest, go around the resorts, they have different decor at each of them for Christmas. Fort Wilderness have the people who decorate their RV's too and put up christmas lights. Make ADR's now, especially if you want the big ticket ones like Le Cellier.

"Yo ho, yo ho a Navy life for me"

I've eaten at 183 out of 241 restaurants at Walt Disney World (76%)

kirrrby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
Jen12573
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your input! All ADRs are made. We got everything we wanted though not quite all the times we wanted but we'll keep checking. We are getting hoppers this trip, we don't usually but decided it would be worth it this time. We are so excited we just found out last night, so I was busy planning today! We are visiting resorts on 12/25 and 12/31. We will probably watch the 11:50pm pre-NYE fireworks from the GF or Poly with a happy beverage in hand. Yay!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

For us its resort location. We split with BCV and BLT. We can walk back and forth from MK to BLT in under 10 minutes-that can save a lot of time for sleepinging longer, back quickly for breaks (usually with FP's for later that night), and after Wishes its a piece of cake. Same with EPCOT to BCV-Holiday Illuminations every night that week-then a simple walk home.

But also just plan a slower pace and enjoy the shows and decor-park attractions are secondary for us.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
Jen12573
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post
For us its resort location. We split with BCV and BLT. We can walk back and forth from MK to BLT in under 10 minutes-that can save a lot of time for sleepinging longer, back quickly for breaks (usually with FP's for later that night), and after Wishes its a piece of cake. Same with EPCOT to BCV-Holiday Illuminations every night that week-then a simple walk home.

But also just plan a slower pace and enjoy the shows and decor-park attractions are secondary for us.
We will be at All Star Sports, it's the only on site property they offer for the tournament. But, since we were just in WDW for our annual trip in March, we are also thinking that the trip is more about the sights and well, the tournament, and less about running from ride to ride. Thank you!!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
haddybaby
Earning My Ears

Just a thought.. If u are planning on returning again in 2013, look into getting Annual Passes for Dec. Since you're planning on getting park hoppers, it would prob save you $ over buying seperate tix for each trip. Plus, you can take adv of the AP perks like merchandise/ food discounts, and big resort savings for your 2013 trip.

haddybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
luvgoing2disney
DIS Veteran

Your dates and resort are almost the same as our Christmas trip a few years back. Flew down on Christmas Day, stayed as Sports, left on the 2nd.

Just know that you can't do everything but by using EMH's you can get a LOT accomplished. That meant, some mornings, we were at the bus stop at 6:30, bt it was worth it.

Go to the different resorts and see the decorations. See the Candlelight Processional. Have a lot of patience, and enjoy that special time of the year.

1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, Disneyland 2005, 2006, October 2007, May 2008, Christmas 2009, Disneyland 2011, April 2012, May 2013, September 2013, Disneyland April 2014
luvgoing2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
kirrrby
We're all mad here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen12573 View Post
We will be at All Star Sports, it's the only on site property they offer for the tournament. But, since we were just in WDW for our annual trip in March, we are also thinking that the trip is more about the sights and well, the tournament, and less about running from ride to ride. Thank you!!

All Star Sports has a bar, just sayin'. Haha, but we love All Star Sports, we don't stay in Deluxes because we don't spend much time in the rooms.If you are trying to save money on food, I would check out the store at All stars, they have a few things there for convenience. But otherwise, if you have a car i HIGHLY suggest that you take sherberth rd to Irlo Bronson to Publix. Groceries are cheaper, and you can get a lot more. Otherwise, just take your time. Don't rush yourself. For EMH days I would arrive at the bus stop about 1hr 15 minutes before the park opens. Also, Epcot has Santas from around the world. They are very fun to listen to. They're at each country.

"Yo ho, yo ho a Navy life for me"

I've eaten at 183 out of 241 restaurants at Walt Disney World (76%)

kirrrby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: