Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #121
Lotuslady
Earning My Ears

Thanks, I needed that. And I needed this morning's walk - did a 5k, stayed in form, made good time, with only a couple of twinges in the knee.
Lotuslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #122
FlowersCroon
Permanecer sentados, por favor.

LotusLady and E - I hope you are doing well and sticking with your training

I have been so busy with work. 12+ hour days and then spent 5 days out of town at a sales meeting (those are about 15 hour days). Needless to say I didn't train for over a week. I'm behind by exactly one week on the Galloway Princess 1/2 program, but I am up to 7miles. I am trying to focus on these new strengths and milestones. I am also SERIOUSLY considering getting the flu shot for the first time in my life. Every February I am laid out for at least a week with a virus.

Has anyone taken the flu shot?

Runner, writer, curator of fabulous things. Mom of an amazing teenage daughter. Friend to all.

I blog about life, parenting, Disneyland, love, music, travel & everything in between at www.FlowersCroon.com

www.twitter.com/iRunDisney
http://instagram.com/irundisney
FlowersCroon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #123
Lotuslady
Earning My Ears

I've been walking the best I could while fighting a sinus/bronchial thing. Finally getting over it and planning a 6 mile walk tomorrow. I haven't done the flu shot in years, but it can help. Glad to see you posting -
Old 12-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #124
erinna
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the kind thoughts! I'm back on track, thank goodness!

I teach college, so I get the flu shot every year. The communal living and poor (or fun, depending on how you look at it) lifestyle choices of the undergraduates means campuses are little petri dishes of ick.

It makes me a little ill the night I get it, so I try to get it at the end of the day. Then I'm to bed early and my symptoms are gone the next day. It's cut way down on my winter illnesses.

Can't hardly wait!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #125
Lotuslady
Earning My Ears

Whoo Hoo! Walked 10 miles today. Kept pretty good form and made fairly good time (especially on the first 6) - those last few got a bit more challenging.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #126
erinna
Mouseketeer

GOOD for you, Lotuslady!

You know what? Since we started posting on this thread, I've lost 51lbs and I don't know how many sizes. Before all this, I was already pretty healthy according to my doctor. Now she's stunned at how fit I am -- and that it's largely due to walking.

And, in no small part, to the support and expertise I recieve here.

So Happy New Year's, all!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #127
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

All RIGHT!!!! LL and E. Way to go for both of you. I am so happy to read about your accomplishments.

Happy New Year
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #128
Dagny
Went to the original, and now knows what the REAL castle looks like

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinna View Post
GOOD for you, Lotuslady!

You know what? Since we started posting on this thread, I've lost 51lbs and I don't know how many sizes. Before all this, I was already pretty healthy according to my doctor. Now she's stunned at how fit I am -- and that it's largely due to walking.

And, in no small part, to the support and expertise I recieve here.

So Happy New Year's, all!
Congratulations! Very impressive!

WDW Half Marathon October 2011
WDW Marathon Relay January 2012
Tinker Bell Half Marathon January 2012
Princess Half Marathon February 2012
Dallas Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon March 2012
Expedition Everest May 2012
Wounded Warrior Half Marathon June 2012
Disneyland Half Marathon August 2012
TOT 10 Miler September 2012
Wine and Dine Half Marathon November 2012
WDW Half Marathon January 2013
WDW Marathon DNF January 2013
Dumbo Double Dare September 2013
Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon 2013
Glass Slipper Challenge February 2014
Dagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #129
AussiePossum
Disneyland 2009 & Disney Paris 2012

Hi Everyone..

I'm so pleased that I have stumbled over this thread and training tips. Just before Christmas RunDisney announced a new race to be held at WDW on the 29 October. Can’t believe the timing as I had already planned a trip to the world to experience “Halloween”. I’m from Australia and Halloween is pretty much non-existent over here. Let me just say that I’m NOT a sporty person by any stretch of the imagination… But a desire to be healthier (not to mention my backside needs to fit in the airplane seat ) is a major motivation to getting up from the couch and doing something and once I pay the race entrance fee, there is no backing out. So thank you for starting a walking thread.

Lotuslady.. I also have the thought of “omg, what have I committed to?” but in my version there are some other words added and mention of my mental state . After all, the race is in 10 months.

So CWGeorge, thank you for your advice about base conditioning… I’m working on that part first before I even consider speed. For me, my biggest issue is shin splints.

Erinna… A big congrats on the weight loss

So the first race that I am aiming for is the Tower of Terror 10 miler on the 29 October since we were going to be there on holidays. It’s not a ½ marathon but I’m not a fit (at the moment) person. Coming back in September 2013 for the ½ marathon in DL with my brother who is training for the goofy. He is the complete opposite to me… He’s a sport nut.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year… Looking forward to what this year brings

Last edited by AussiePossum; 01-02-2012 at 04:56 PM.
AussiePossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #130
princess.april120
The journey from Pooh to a princess

Just wanted to check in & wish everyone a Happy New Year!
princess.april120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #131
Luv2trav
DIS Veteran

Wow I am very inspired by all of you. I am a walker too. My husband is a runner. He is organizing a 5K for our local school district fundraiser in April. He wants me to participate. I could probably finish the 5K with a walk/run mix in between 40-45 minutes. I am not sure I could ever be a "runner" because I have about 40lbs to lose. My dream would be to do one of the Disney races but I'm too embarassed that I would finish last.. Reading all of your stories has made me believe I can do this if I want!!
2011-Nov/Dec SSR
2011 March/April-Beach Club Villas and AKV..
2010-March/April Pop/BWV/Poly
2009-June AKV Kidani
2008-June BCV
2007-Dec SSR Joined DVC-8/2007 AKV! May 2007 VB, SSR and VWL 2 bedroom May 2006 SSR 2 bedroom! October 2005 Contemporary February 2005 AKL Sav View May/June 2004 POFQ/POLY March 2003 Off Site
Luv2trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #132
Lotuslady
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2trav View Post
Wow I am very inspired by all of you. I am a walker too. My husband is a runner. He is organizing a 5K for our local school district fundraiser in April. He wants me to participate. I could probably finish the 5K with a walk/run mix in between 40-45 minutes. I am not sure I could ever be a "runner" because I have about 40lbs to lose. My dream would be to do one of the Disney races but I'm too embarassed that I would finish last.. Reading all of your stories has made me believe I can do this if I want!!
I still have at least 75 lbs to lose, and I know that I may still be too slow and get swept up by the sweepers.

BUT I AM GOING FOR IT ANYWAY!! My speed has improved and I believe that the adrenalin will be going strong that day which will make me even faster.

I am making a commitment to myself. This is for me and even if I get swept up I will have won with myself because I will have done what I could, no matter where I am physically.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #133
Luv2trav
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotuslady View Post
I still have at least 75 lbs to lose, and I know that I may still be too slow and get swept up by the sweepers.

BUT I AM GOING FOR IT ANYWAY!! My speed has improved and I believe that the adrenalin will be going strong that day which will make me even faster.

I am making a commitment to myself. This is for me and even if I get swept up I will have won with myself because I will have done what I could, no matter where I am physically.
I love it.. I figure there would HAVE to be someone like me doing it too...
2011-Nov/Dec SSR
2011 March/April-Beach Club Villas and AKV..
2010-March/April Pop/BWV/Poly
2009-June AKV Kidani
2008-June BCV
2007-Dec SSR Joined DVC-8/2007 AKV! May 2007 VB, SSR and VWL 2 bedroom May 2006 SSR 2 bedroom! October 2005 Contemporary February 2005 AKL Sav View May/June 2004 POFQ/POLY March 2003 Off Site
Luv2trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #134
AliceSpark
Earning My Ears

Way to go Lotus Lady - I too maybe swept but I am like you I am training for it and even if I do get swept no one can take that training away from me. Keep going and we will make it!! If not this year then maybe in 2013.
AliceSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #135
tink2007
DIS Veteran

Going to be a walking princess this year

So glad I came across this thread. I'm so happy to see there are so many walkers. I ran the Princess last year by myself. It was a huge accomplishment for me and I'm so glad I did it. This year, my friends want to do the race with me but they are not runners and want to walk it.
They are a little nervous about finishing in time but we'll be fine. I plan to have lots of fun and enjoy it this time.
2005 - Wilderness Lodge
2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
2009 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2010 - All Star Movies
2011 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2012 - All Star Sports
2013 - Coronado Springs Resort
2013 - Marriott's Harbour Lake
2013 - All Star Sports
2013 - Disney Cruise - Dream
2014 - Disney All Star Music
2014 - Fort Wilderness