Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #106
FlowersCroon
Permanecer sentados, por favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimneysweepGeorge View Post
Stretching is a hotly debated subject (one of the very few things John and I disagree about) among runners with studies flying fast, furious and often.
So I've noticed! The more I research this the more conflicting advice I find. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimneysweepGeorge View Post
So, bottom line, if you think it helps you...that's enough to reap a benefit. I have a pair of race socks, who am I to judge? If you are going to do it, just follow the common sense rules; never stretch a cold muscle and never, EVER move into pain...oh and most quad stretches aren't designed for runners and they put way, way, WAY too much stress on the patellar tendon, so pay particular attention doing those.

Great advice as usual!! Thank you!

So, bottom line, if you think it Sometimes. As the brusque but dizzyingly smart woman who taught me how to coach pointed out; "Never forget that Runners' World exists to make money for Rodale, Inc." In other words, dig a little on the author of the article. These days of the internet, it's fairly easy to get an idea of a person's training with a quick Google or email.[/quote]

So so true!!!!

Runner, writer, curator of fabulous things. Mom of an amazing teenage daughter. Friend to all.

I blog about life, parenting, Disneyland, love, music, travel & everything in between at www.FlowersCroon.com

www.twitter.com/iRunDisney
http://instagram.com/irundisney
FlowersCroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #107
erinna
Mouseketeer

Blerg!

I'm laid up with a cold/virus/whatever that seems to be making the rounds in my area -- I'm told it lasts TWO WEEKS. Glad I'm not doing a big Thanksgiving this year! But no walkies in the park for me for a bit -- right now, the walk to make tea seems considerable. Boo! So right now I can talk the talk on the Dis, but no walking the walk. Blargh!

E.

PS Flowers Croon -- your profile pic is fantastic.
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #108
ChimneysweepGeorge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinna View Post
Blerg!

I'm laid up with a cold/virus/whatever that seems to be making the rounds in my area -- I'm told it lasts TWO WEEKS. Glad I'm not doing a big Thanksgiving this year! But no walkies in the park for me for a bit -- right now, the walk to make tea seems considerable. Boo! So right now I can talk the talk on the Dis, but no walking the walk. Blargh!
Yikes! I hope you feel better soon. Rest up, get plenty of fluids and think happy thoughts. Who knows, you might get lucky; I escaped with the three day crud.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #109
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinna View Post
Blerg!

E.

PS Flowers Croon -- your profile pic is fantastic.
Green tea, chicken soup and keep the fluids flowing. Get well soon.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #110
nancytoby
Mom, runner, triathlete

For those not subscribed to the other thread, I just thought I'd mention that there are a few great posts in the last 24 hours there about race-day strategies for people who might be up against the 16 mpm cutoff at WDW:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....71856&page=267

Not to imply that walkers necessarily will be! There are lots of sub-12mpm walkers who leave me in the dust when I'm jogging along!

nancytoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #111
princess.april120
The journey from Pooh to a princess

Thanks for posting the link @ sweeping info. I know I can make 13.1mi, I just don't know if I can do it in 3:30. The comments by coach charles are especially reassuring...
princess.april120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #112
Lotuslady
Earning My Ears

Happy Thanksgiving, folks! Of course we need to walk off all the extra food tomorrow.

Just wanted to say I've been reading the ChiWalking book and discovered that apparently I've been doing just that, instinctively. Now I just need to hold the posture for longer while walking - you really have to stay aware of what you are doing the whole time - it's too easy to slip back into a bad posture.
Lotuslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #113
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotuslady View Post
Happy Thanksgiving, folks! Of course we need to walk off all the extra food tomorrow.

Just wanted to say I've been reading the ChiWalking book and discovered that apparently I've been doing just that, instinctively. Now I just need to hold the posture for longer while walking - you really have to stay aware of what you are doing the whole time - it's too easy to slip back into a bad posture.
Very good, grasshopper!

The exact same thing happened with me. Concentration is key and speed will follow. Welcome to the club.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #114
erinna
Mouseketeer

Hey all --

I'm still laid up with the unbeatable duo of bronchitis / sinus infection. I've been in bed 8 days now. Bah!

But I'm on medication that is fighting the virus back. So I hope to be walking again very soon!

Hope you all had a lovely tofurkey / turkey day! E.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #115
Lotuslady
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
Very good, grasshopper!
LOL - thanks!

I did an 8 mile walk on Saturday. Wow, if someone had told me a year ago that I would be walking that far in training for a 1/2 marathon, I would have thought that person was insane. And now - I'm even walking in the rain - did 2 miles with good speed this morning in the rain. REally tried to keep my posture this morning.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #116
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
LOL - thanks!

I did an 8 mile walk on Saturday. Wow, if someone had told me a year ago that I would be walking that far in training for a 1/2 marathon, I would have thought that person was insane. And now - I'm even walking in the rain - did 2 miles with good speed this morning in the rain. REally tried to keep my posture this morning.
Super excellent!

DW, DD and I had the Space Coast Half Marathon yesterday. I will mention the following only as an encouragement not as a guarantee that you or others will get this far or farther by only walking.

I completed the half by walking it in 2:11:12 and that included stopping to give DW a kiss as I passed her and DD going the opposite direction. Passed many joggers and runners knowing that the punishment they were giving their bodies was far greater than what I was getting.

Walking is a great way to compete. Walking is less stressful on the body. Walking is a great form of exercise. WALKING is a legitimate way to complete a half or full marathon and one should not feel ashamed when talking to people and telling them that they are a WALKER who competes in these events. So what if you are slower. Just remember that there are those who don't even make the effort and some joggers and runners who are unable to complete the event because they injure themselves trying to go fast.

Stay focused, positive and keep it fun. The finish line is just a strole away from the starting line.

Last edited by John VN; 11-28-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #117
FlowersCroon
Permanecer sentados, por favor.

Hi Everyone!

I hope you all had a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

I have been buried in work and was out of town for a parade my daughter was in - but I am happy to say I have been keeping up my training. Walk/Jogging is going well and I am starting to think I REALLY can do this!!!

E - I hope you get well soon!!!

Runner, writer, curator of fabulous things. Mom of an amazing teenage daughter. Friend to all.

I blog about life, parenting, Disneyland, love, music, travel & everything in between at www.FlowersCroon.com

www.twitter.com/iRunDisney
http://instagram.com/irundisney
FlowersCroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #118
erinna
Mouseketeer

I am FINALLY well enough to start walking tomorrow. YAY! Very curious to see what its like after being laid up since Nov 17th. (and yes, this IS one of the worst winter virus / infection things I've ever had.

It's funny -- before I went down for the count, I was thinking I should've registered for the half rather than the 5K. Now I am very, very glad I didn't -- I can't imagine getting from bed to half in a month!

A case of things working out for the best! E.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #119
Lotuslady
Earning My Ears

I had one of those frustrating workouts this morning. Thought I'd post anyway. MY DD was talking about her trail blogging and the support she was getting and I know we're here to support each other and thought other folks might be going through the same thing.

I'm still recovering from a sinus/bronchial infection. Up until this week, I've only missed 3 days walking since early May. I doubled that this week - missed 3 days - but with being sick and it rained one day - there was just no way.

So walking this morning seemed like such a struggle. I did an 8 miler just 2 weeks ago and did just fine. I did only 4 1/2 today instead of the original 6 that was planned, it seemed like everything hurt, couldn't hold my form, and just wanted to cry.

But, at least I did 4 1/2 miles and I reached the 40 lbs gone mark this week - so gotta hang on to the positive. Let's keep moving.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #120
John VN
DIS Cast Member
Old Paramus Boy

E, your 1/2 will come and you will rock.

Quote:
I had one of those frustrating workouts this morning. Thought I'd post anyway. MY DD was talking about her trail blogging and the support she was getting and I know we're here to support each other and thought other folks might be going through the same thing.

I'm still recovering from a sinus/bronchial infection. Up until this week, I've only missed 3 days walking since early May. I doubled that this week - missed 3 days - but with being sick and it rained one day - there was just no way.

So walking this morning seemed like such a struggle. I did an 8 miler just 2 weeks ago and did just fine. I did only 4 1/2 today instead of the original 6 that was planned, it seemed like everything hurt, couldn't hold my form, and just wanted to cry.

But, at least I did 4 1/2 miles and I reached the 40 lbs gone mark this week - so gotta hang on to the positive. Let's keep moving.
Take note, on the 40#s and believe me, you are not alone. Sometimes I have dead legs even when I had nothing bothering me. Generally I can feel it as soon as I take a few steps. This is when I pay close attention to my body. I slow down to see if they free-up. If they don't, I stop. I am not one of those, tuff it out cause things will get better, kind of person. I'd rather forget it for that day and not walk the chance of injuring myself.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: