Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #91
Lotuslady
Earning My Ears

Thanks CSGeorge! Chiwalking sounds like the direction I was going in and will help.

So, do other 1st timers have "OMG, what have I committed myself to?" It's one of those mornings. Still got my walk in with good speed, but had thoughts of "Can I keep my speed up for that long?", etc. this morning.

I guess it's just one of those days.
Lotuslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #92
ChimneysweepGeorge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotuslady View Post
So, do other 1st timers have "OMG, what have I committed myself to?"
I can answer this, more people have that thought than don't. Even once you have a few under your belt, then you start biting off bigger distances or you start having time goals in mind and until you do it, there is always the question.

“I had as many doubts as anyone else. Standing on the starting line, we're all cowards.” ― Alberto Salazar
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #93
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Thanks CSGeorge! Chiwalking sounds like the direction I was going in and will help.

So, do other 1st timers have "OMG, what have I committed myself to?" It's one of those mornings. Still got my walk in with good speed, but had thoughts of "Can I keep my speed up for that long?", etc. this morning.

My success in walking can be attributed to reading and then employing the methods in the following books. http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?key...holtn%5Fb&rd=1

Becoming a Chi Walker or Runner is not for everyone but practicing it and then making modifications for myself I have brought my pace down. On Saturday I had my last pre Space Coast Half Marathon long walk that will be in 2 weeks. I walked 13.25 miles in 2:15:54 for a 10:15 average. It was a little slower than my best time but I think it was due to my 70 mile bicycle ride on Wednesday. Yesterday I was feeling good enough to go out and ride another 60 miles because Chi Walking really limits the abuse the body gets from regular walking or running.

If you can employ this method I am sure you will find your walking to be more enjoyable. Good luck and any questions just ask so we can help out.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:44 PM   #94
AliceSpark
Earning My Ears

I am so glad I found this thread. George you are reinforcing what I know but it is hard to accept. I do a Galloway method of running 30 seconds walking 45 seconds on short runs and 20/40 on my long runs. I have thought I would need to either push the pace on the longer runs (even though everyone says not to) or increase the length on the shorter runs.

I guess I will try to just trust in the process that if I stick with the training I will get faster and be able not to be swept.

Also, want to take a minute to say to Dreamer that I feel her pain to hang in there.
Martha
AliceSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:19 PM   #95
erinna
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
My success in walking can be attributed to reading and then employing the methods in the following books.
Thanks, John -- I'm ordering one now!
Old 11-14-2011, 05:22 PM   #96
ChimneysweepGeorge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Becoming a Chi Walker or Runner is not for everyone...
It is very cool though that the shoe industry is supporting it. Saucony is due to be rolling out their new shoes with less heel drop and the Brooks Pure line is made from the ground up for the midfoot walker/runner. It's a great time to be in motion.

My Galloway friend I mentioned upthread will be running the Space Coast as well. I envy you folks living in a temperate climate where race season isn't over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceSpark View Post
I am so glad I found this thread. George you are reinforcing what I know but it is hard to accept.
Glad to help. Honestly that's why I stayed neck deep in this thread. I'm seeing a lot of people who are doing the Galloway technique or walking and are having questions about the counter-intuitive nature of the thing. I figure a "traditional" running coach and runner like myself is a decent "second opinion" to reinforce that this stuff is science...and it works.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #97
Lotuslady
Earning My Ears

Definitely grateful for the answers by John and George. I'm ordering the ChiWalking book and will continue to frequent this board to learn more and share stories.

Keep walking, folks! (or running, if that's what you prefer)
Lotuslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #98
FlowersCroon
Permanecer sentados, por favor.

Quote:
Hi. I've been lurking over on another thread and then saw the post that there was a walker's thread. I'm a walker. This past May, my DH and me finally started walking - it was a challenge due to being overweight, a bad knee and during the summer had a stress fracture in my foot. But I've lost 38 lbs so far. And during the first weekend in October, we walked a 6 mile walk. Right after that I heard about the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon.

I had to sign up. Then had a couple of minor set-backs. But just this morning did a 6 1/2 mile walk - so it's not a fluke!
Hi LotusLady! So happy to have you on as a walker also! Congrats on the weight loss!!You're off to an impressive start.

Quote:
Welcome to the sensible side Lotuslady and FlowersCroon, meaning walking is much easier on the body and still provides a tremendous workout.
Thank you for the welcome! I agree - it's a great workout! I have to check out the link you posted to the books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casndan View Post
Hi! Can i join you guys over here? I'm planning on doing the Princess 1/2 and at this point I'm run/walking and I suspect I'll still be doing intervals by the end of February. My sister will be at WDW for her college program, so I'm going to drive down and meet her and I'm VERY excited to take a trip without my 2yo son Not that I don't love him but my husband is in the Army so my son and I have spent a lot of 1-on-1 time in the last 2 years and since my husband is retiring the end of next month I think it's his turn I've been training for about 6 weeks so far and I've lost 15lbs and truly going to WDW is the best motivation I've ever had!

YAY!! Welcome!! Wow you guys are all great motivation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinna View Post
Welcome Casndan!

The more the merrier, for sure. We all need all the support we can get.

(well, I do, anyway)

......I got the Galloways book on Walking for Women, but I have to say I found it disappointing. The typos were distracting and some of the advice seemed a bit odd (like don't do yoga!)
I need the support too. And I just started doing all my yoga stretches TWICE daily and I feel much much better. SO I don't see how that can be a draw back. Odd advice!

Quote:

That happened to me after my 5mi walk/run I Saturday. All in all - with warm up and cool down and a walk with my hunny - I did 7 miles total and spent the rest of the day on the couch. If I'm useless after 7 miles - what does that mean???

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceSpark View Post
I am so glad I found this thread. George you are reinforcing what I know but it is hard to accept. I do a Galloway method of running 30 seconds walking 45 seconds on short runs and 20/40 on my long runs. I have thought I would need to either push the pace on the longer runs (even though everyone says not to) or increase the length on the shorter runs.

I guess I will try to just trust in the process that if I stick with the training I will get faster and be able not to be swept.

Also, want to take a minute to say to Dreamer that I feel her pain to hang in there.
Martha
Welcome! And I hope to hear from Dreamer on here again.

Runner, writer, curator of fabulous things. Mom of an amazing teenage daughter. Friend to all.

I blog about life, parenting, Disneyland, love, music, travel & everything in between at www.FlowersCroon.com

www.twitter.com/iRunDisney
http://instagram.com/irundisney
FlowersCroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #99
ChimneysweepGeorge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowersCroon View Post
I need the support too. And I just started doing all my yoga stretches TWICE daily and I feel much much better. SO I don't see how that can be a draw back. Odd advice!
A long loose muscle is a muscle that is not rigidly supporting the joint it is working on and actually puts a person at more risk for injury. This is why there is now "yoga for runners" that doesn't use the more aggressive poses. In all honesty, flexibility is overrated in terms of running health and fitness. Anything past normal range of motion isn't a benefit.

The following is from Thomas Kurtz, a fairly well-published expert on stretching and you will see how this applies to yoga:

"While in some sports more than average flexibility in all or some of the major joints is needed just for the execution of their basic techniques, in some others the reverse is true: The greater than average the flexibility of some joints, the worse the performance. For example, running economy has been associated with decreased flexibility. Stiffness of the calf muscles and Achilles tendon enhances “elastic energy storage and return” during every running step, and the small range of motion of external rotation in the hip reduces the metabolic cost of the muscular activity needed for stabilizing the pelvis during long-distance running (Craib et al. 1996). So, for long-distance runners, the greater the dorsiflexion of the foot and external rotation in the hip joint, the worse the running economy."

Quote:
If I'm useless after 7 miles - what does that mean???
Sounds like it means you aren't sufficiently trained yet. It comes in time.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #100
erinna
Mouseketeer

Thanks, George -- we're really lucky to have your know-how around!
Old 11-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #101
ChimneysweepGeorge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinna View Post
Thanks, George -- we're really lucky to have your know-how around!
You're too kind. I'm delighted to share. I'm just sorry I missed it when you asked about it the first time.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #102
FlowersCroon
Permanecer sentados, por favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimneysweepGeorge View Post
A long loose muscle is a muscle that is not rigidly supporting the joint it is working on and actually puts a person at more risk for injury. This is why there is now "yoga for runners" that doesn't use the more aggressive poses. In all honesty, flexibility is overrated in terms of running health and fitness. Anything past normal range of motion isn't a benefit.

The following is from Thomas Kurtz, a fairly well-published expert on stretching and you will see how this applies to yoga:

"While in some sports more than average flexibility in all or some of the major joints is needed just for the execution of their basic techniques, in some others the reverse is true: The greater than average the flexibility of some joints, the worse the performance. For example, running economy has been associated with decreased flexibility. Stiffness of the calf muscles and Achilles tendon enhances “elastic energy storage and return” during every running step, and the small range of motion of external rotation in the hip reduces the metabolic cost of the muscular activity needed for stabilizing the pelvis during long-distance running (Craib et al. 1996). So, for long-distance runners, the greater the dorsiflexion of the foot and external rotation in the hip joint, the worse the running economy."
Interesting, although confusing, because it seems like every document or web article I've read stresses the importance of stretching in order prevent pain and injury. Stretching after a session is how I feel better and prevent soreness.

Runnersworld.com has lots of "yoga for runners" poses & articles as well info on stretching and flexibility for runners. Is that a reliable source?

Runner, writer, curator of fabulous things. Mom of an amazing teenage daughter. Friend to all.

I blog about life, parenting, Disneyland, love, music, travel & everything in between at www.FlowersCroon.com

www.twitter.com/iRunDisney
http://instagram.com/irundisney
FlowersCroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #103
ChimneysweepGeorge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowersCroon View Post
Interesting, although confusing, because it seems like every document or web article I've read stresses the importance of stretching in order prevent pain and injury. Stretching after a session is how I feel better and prevent soreness.
Stretching is a hotly debated subject (one of the very few things John and I disagree about) among runners with studies flying fast, furious and often. There is no clear cut answer to this so it boils down to picking what source to believe. I have cast my lot with Doctor Tim Noakes. His thinking on flexibility training is that it is similar to strength training; it's valuable but something done separate from the runs.

It's more interesting to me that as a sport we still hang on to stretching with both hands even though no evidence supports it. Even Noakes' own book "Lore of Running" first points out that "the cold light of scientific investigation has not been kind to these traditional dogmas." ...and then he goes on for the next seven pages describing a stretching program.

So, bottom line, if you think it helps you...that's enough to reap a benefit. I have a pair of race socks, who am I to judge? If you are going to do it, just follow the common sense rules; never stretch a cold muscle and never, EVER move into pain...oh and most quad stretches aren't designed for runners and they put way, way, WAY too much stress on the patellar tendon, so pay particular attention doing those.

Quote:
Runnersworld.com has lots of "yoga for runners" poses & articles as well info on stretching and flexibility for runners. Is that a reliable source?
Sometimes. As the brusque but dizzyingly smart woman who taught me how to coach pointed out; "Never forget that Runners' World exists to make money for Rodale, Inc." In other words, dig a little on the author of the article. These days of the internet, it's fairly easy to get an idea of a person's training with a quick Google or email.

Honestly, and here is the ultimate bottom line...if something sounds stupid and risky or just like the gains you will get are too good to be true. It IS stupid/risky/too good to be true. You aren't going to destroy yourself stretching, not stretching, yoga, running "junk miles," running too much speedwork, not barefoot training, not running for V02Max...or whatever the latest training thing is. Simply put, ours is a very, Very, VERY simple sport. Put on your shoes and put one foot in front of the other very fast. Do this and you will improve. The minor differences in training that people love to squabble over are minor. For those of us who were not born Ethiopian, the differences in performance and injury resistance were largely decided by how well we chose our parents, not by who's training method we use.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #104
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimneysweepGeorge View Post
Stretching is a hotly debated subject (one of the very few things John and I disagree about) among runners with studies flying fast, furious and often..........
So funny, , your overpowering FORCE is moving me towards your side so it's only a partial disagreement.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #105
ChimneysweepGeorge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So funny, , your overpowering FORCE is moving me towards your side so it's only a partial disagreement.
Honestly, that's why I do love people who have a different view than I do. When I have opinions on a subject, I'm fairly direct with them. Darn few people want to engage in a discussion then. Discussion makes me reexamine those opinions. It's like long slow distance for the brain.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: