Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #76
erinna
Mouseketeer

Welcome, Flowers Croon (and I love the name!)

This thread has been super useful to me. Since I started walking in August, I've lost 35 pounds, and I think I"m in the best cardio shape of my life.

Before this, when I wanted to live healthier, I'd go to the gym. But I hated every. minute. of. it. So I was pleased to discover, I find walking is actually pleasant (no news to people on this board, I'm sure!

I hope this thread continues too -- I find it very motivating.

E.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:12 PM   #77
ChimneysweepGeorge
Mouseketeer

I apologize for not posting sooner. Last week I was visiting WDW (go figure) and I've been playing catch-up since I returned.

Sorry to hear your news Dreamer. I know EXACTLY how that feels and yea, it's absolutely miserable to find out you won't make a destination race you'd been training for and looking forward to. You just can't let it end there. There is always another race, this is a journey you are on, not the express monorail to the destination.

FlowersCroon, that's the injury that happens so often we have an abbreviation for it: TMTS - Too Much, Too Soon. The real serious danger to a beginner runner is that the very last system in your body to adapt is the connective tissue. So you are going along with legs that aren't tired, a brain that knows it can do more, a heart and lungs that feel strong and great...and the same ole tendons and ligaments you started with. No one EVER wants to hear this but it's the truth: It takes between a year and 18 months before you start seeing any change in your connective tissues. A lot of people ignore this reality, keep pushing and manage to get away with it but most don't. This is why you see a lot of persistent tendinopathy, ITBS and plantar fasciitis in the running community. Most people started these injuries early in their career and never took the time off to properly heal them.

I always try to get new people focused more on their distance than their speed. Speed in any race that's longer than a mile is more a function of overall conditioning and specific neuromuscular training (teaching your legs to put one foot in front of the other very fast). Since the second is hard to do without risk, put the effort into the first. That's the underlying science of Galloway's plan, enabling people to go further than they could just running increases the overall fitness level and as odd as it sounds will result in more speed on race day.
ChimneysweepGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #78
manhattan
DIS Veteran

So today is my one month anniversary!!! I hoped that I would stay committed. I am so happy that I decided to do this. I missed walking (what former New Yorker doesn't) and reaching for that Disney medal is such a great carrot - LOL!! I use my office gym treadmill at lunchtime (bring DVDs from home and watch them) and during the weekend I walk with my daughter. I have lost three pounds, but haven't really changed my eating habits (hubby cooks so its hard to dictate what he should cook). I *think* that I might be able to run/walk the Princess 1/2 (okay, mostly walk), but will wait a little longer to see how my training goes. Now, just to find the money for my trip
Port Orleans French Quarter 10/96, 05/01, 07/05, 12/06 Riverside 04/07, 06/07, 11/07, 05/08, 07/13 All Star Music 10/99, 01/09 Wilderness Lodge 08/97, 05/00, 09/00, 09/01 Polynesian 10/99, 07/03 Coronado Springs 08/06, 08/07, 08/08 Fort Wilderness Cabins 08/08, 12/10 Gaylord Palms 12/08 All Star Music Family Suites 03/10, 05/11 All Star Movies 09/11 Pop Century 10/12
Offsite 1980, 1990, 2009

Planning Next Trip - Birthday or Halloween?
manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #79
ChimneysweepGeorge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattan View Post
So today is my one month anniversary!!
GREAT JOB!
Right there with you about the money though. My wife and I usually swing one trip a year, so it really does become a question of allowing our trip to be compromised by a higher crowd level and possibly tired legs OR find a way to squeeze out the cash for a second trip for the race.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #80
FlowersCroon
Permanecer sentados, por favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinna View Post
Welcome, Flowers Croon (and I love the name!)

This thread has been super useful to me. Since I started walking in August, I've lost 35 pounds, and I think I"m in the best cardio shape of my life.

Before this, when I wanted to live healthier, I'd go to the gym. But I hated every. minute. of. it. So I was pleased to discover, I find walking is actually pleasant (no news to people on this board, I'm sure!

I hope this thread continues too -- I find it very motivating.

E.
Wow - that is awesome!!! Congrats! You rock!!

I'm one of those anomalies that LOVES being at the gym and it's been hard learning to run because the treadmill (in my opinion) is terrible for training! So I actually had to find places to walk/run outside without being in danger and, this is the hardest, during my exercise hours (5am before work).

Keep up the good work!

Runner, writer, curator of fabulous things. Mom of an amazing teenage daughter. Friend to all.

I blog about life, parenting, Disneyland, love, music, travel & everything in between at www.FlowersCroon.com

www.twitter.com/iRunDisney
http://instagram.com/irundisney
FlowersCroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #81
FlowersCroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimneysweepGeorge View Post
FlowersCroon, that's the injury that happens so often we have an abbreviation for it: TMTS - Too Much, Too Soon. The real serious danger to a beginner runner is that the very last system in your body to adapt is the connective tissue. So you are going along with legs that aren't tired, a brain that knows it can do more, a heart and lungs that feel strong and great...and the same ole tendons and ligaments you started with. No one EVER wants to hear this but it's the truth: It takes between a year and 18 months before you start seeing any change in your connective tissues. A lot of people ignore this reality, keep pushing and manage to get away with it but most don't. This is why you see a lot of persistent tendinopathy, ITBS and plantar fasciitis in the running community. Most people started these injuries early in their career and never took the time off to properly heal them.

I always try to get new people focused more on their distance than their speed. Speed in any race that's longer than a mile is more a function of overall conditioning and specific neuromuscular training (teaching your legs to put one foot in front of the other very fast). Since the second is hard to do without risk, put the effort into the first. That's the underlying science of Galloway's plan, enabling people to go further than they could just running increases the overall fitness level and as odd as it sounds will result in more speed on race day.
Yes - that's what I am trying to avoid: TMTS syndrome. I was well on my way.

It's a pity the old tendons won't keep up with the rest of me!

It is interesting that that his method is also supposed to result in more speed, because of course now it doesn't seem like it. I know I'll be surprised come race day!

Runner, writer, curator of fabulous things. Mom of an amazing teenage daughter. Friend to all.

I blog about life, parenting, Disneyland, love, music, travel & everything in between at www.FlowersCroon.com

Old 11-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #82
ChimneysweepGeorge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowersCroon View Post
It is interesting that that his method is also supposed to result in more speed, because of course now it doesn't seem like it. I know I'll be surprised come race day!
Well...yes and no. The thing about running is that your base fitness matters most in endurance racing. So if you take a person who's longest run is 10 miles at a 10 minute/mile pace vs. someone who's long run is 15 but it takes them 12 minute/mile on average because they are walking and running...the "faster" runner is gonna get smoked because they can't sustain the effort. Once your fitness can sustain a consistent pace through the entire race, running is faster for most folks.

BUT

and this is a huge but; the Galloway method still has enormous value because it's not going to take as much out of the runner. I have a friend who's a Galloway coach. She is every bit as fit as I am (currently much more so due to our race schedules) but she finishes a half-marathon about 20 minutes behind me and ...so what? We both get the same medal, we both enjoy the same course, neither one of us was gonna win BUT the next day, guess who is up and doing their daily routine and who is shuffling along guzzling Gatorade and popping ibuprofen.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #83
FlowersCroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimneysweepGeorge View Post
I have a friend who's a Galloway coach. She is every bit as fit as I am (currently much more so due to our race schedules) but she finishes a half-marathon about 20 minutes behind me and ...so what? We both get the same medal, we both enjoy the same course, neither one of us was gonna win BUT the next day, guess who is up and doing their daily routine and who is shuffling along guzzling Gatorade and popping ibuprofen.
That's great! I want to finish on time, have fun and take tons of pics as this will be my first time at WDW. I really hope it works out that way. I am so nervous!

Old 11-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #84
Lotuslady
Earning My Ears

Yeah, a walker's thread!

Hi. I've been lurking over on another thread and then saw the post that there was a walker's thread. I'm a walker. This past May, my DH and me finally started walking - it was a challenge due to being overweight, a bad knee and during the summer had a stress fracture in my foot. But I've lost 38 lbs so far. And during the first weekend in October, we walked a 6 mile walk. Right after that I heard about the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon.

I had to sign up. Then had a couple of minor set-backs. But just this morning did a 6 1/2 mile walk - so it's not a fluke!

Had a question. Has anyone else had to adjust their gait to avoid pain or to walk better? It's seems if I tuck my hips under me more it helps. I'm having to adjust to this whole "being athletic" type and I have SO MUCH to learn.

Lotuslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #85
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotuslady View Post
Hi. I've been lurking over on another thread and then saw the post that there was a walker's thread. I'm a walker. This past May, my DH and me finally started walking - it was a challenge due to being overweight, a bad knee and during the summer had a stress fracture in my foot. But I've lost 38 lbs so far. And during the first weekend in October, we walked a 6 mile walk. Right after that I heard about the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon.

I had to sign up. Then had a couple of minor set-backs. But just this morning did a 6 1/2 mile walk - so it's not a fluke!

Had a question. Has anyone else had to adjust their gait to avoid pain or to walk better? It's seems if I tuck my hips under me more it helps. I'm having to adjust to this whole "being athletic" type and I have SO MUCH to learn.

Welcome to the sensible side Lotuslady and FlowersCroon, meaning walking is much easier on the body and still provides a tremendous workout.

I believe one big advantage to walking is that we can recognize a problem exists with our walking style easier than a runner since there is less impact when our feet strike the ground so we are more in tune with our body.

Adjusting your gait is critical to improving your speed and ability to walk greater distances. Just remember to work with your new style at slower speeds along with extra miles before picking up the pace. Distance comfort is a precursor to injury free speed increases.

Pretty sure CSGeorge can add more helpful advice.

Last edited by John VN; 11-12-2011 at 01:45 PM.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #86
Lotuslady
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the advice!
Lotuslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #87
ChimneysweepGeorge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotuslady View Post
Good thing this isn't about running...gait questions start holy wars. John is absolutely correct (as usual), gait is critical to staying injury free and seeing the speed you want to see. The athletic shoe industry has exploded due to runners and walkers relying on shoes to correct their mechanics. Some correction you can do with exercises to strengthen weak muscles, some can be done with mindful practice, some can be fixed with footwear/orthotics and some, we just have to live with.

Just a thought... Hip/Pelvis/Core control are all hallmarks of ChiWalking. It might be something to look into to further.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #88
casndan
Mouseketeer

Hi! Can i join you guys over here? I'm planning on doing the Princess 1/2 and at this point I'm run/walking and I suspect I'll still be doing intervals by the end of February. My sister will be at WDW for her college program, so I'm going to drive down and meet her and I'm VERY excited to take a trip without my 2yo son Not that I don't love him but my husband is in the Army so my son and I have spent a lot of 1-on-1 time in the last 2 years and since my husband is retiring the end of next month I think it's his turn I've been training for about 6 weeks so far and I've lost 15lbs and truly going to WDW is the best motivation I've ever had!
Old 11-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #89
erinna
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by casndan View Post
Hi! Can i join you guys over here?
Welcome Casndan!

The more the merrier, for sure. We all need all the support we can get.

(well, I do, anyway)

It's interesting to me how many of us are telling similar stories: we want to get healthier so we use a Disney event as a target for getting in shape and lose some extra poundage along the way.

WDW Radio had an episode after (I think) last year's marathon weekend in which the host talked about Run Disney starting as a way to attract the athletic to the park and now its attracting park-heads to athletics. I know that's the case for me!

Sooo...has anyone found any other good resources (beside our board gurus, that is!)? I've read Fitness Walking for Dummies which I found informative (although I've never been a fan of the titles) and the Walking website on About.com was really useful for getting started. I got the Galloways book on Walking for Women, but I have to say I found it disappointing. The typos were distracting and some of the advice seemed a bit odd (like don't do yoga!) and in places the book talks about running -- as if it's from Jeff's running book and the forgot to edit it.

I still think he's adorable. Just more of a runner than a walker, maybe.

My next purchase? Why Saludos Amigos / Three Cabelleros, of course, to get in the spirit of the event!

best, E.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #90
casndan
Mouseketeer

Doing the princess was actually my little sisters idea, I thought that she was absolutely crazy and no way could I even think of doing that sort of distance but the more I work the more I realize that it really is possible! It has been a bonding experience for my sister and I, I've lived cross country since she was 12 and now she's 19 so I guess we're making up for lost time. I have to admit that I'm pretty competitive and if we get out and run and I have her begging me (the "old" one at 29 ) it gives me motivation to keep going.

My mom and I are taking her down to Disney for her CP the weekend of the WDW Marathon and I'm very tempted to do the 5K just for fun

I had a bit of the TMTF syndrome myself and ended up with some tendonitis in my knees, I've been listening to my body though, if my knees hurt I do some strength work at home or take a leisurely walk.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: