Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #61
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Just a little about experimenting with nutrition while training. It is a must do as is finding what works for a before event meal but go easy.

I decided to go for a walk after dinner last night and didn't do too bad but here is a warning. Do not and I mean DO NOT exercise after eating creamed spinach, brown rice, turkey with gravy, BBQ ribs, a couple of slices of whole wheat toast, glass of wine, glass of milk and some dark chocolate chips as a chaser.

It gives you energy but also slows one down.

Do well with your training everyone. Stay positive.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #62
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess.april120 View Post
Do any of you have any thoughts about runner's retreat? I am anticipating finishing at the end, so I guess I am not sure how much I would get to benefit from the post race perks...Would be interested in anyone's comments!
What is "runner's retreat"?

March 2009 AKL Studio - Christmas 2009 Pop Century
March 2010 AKV - Oct 2010 F & W AKV Savannah View
March 2011 AKV - Oct 2011 F & W SSR
Feb 2012 AKV For Princess 1/2 Marathon!
TinksApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #63
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
Just a little about experimenting with nutrition while training. It is a must do as is finding what works for a before event meal but go easy.

I decided to go for a walk after dinner last night and didn't do too bad but here is a warning. Do not and I mean DO NOT exercise after eating creamed spinach, brown rice, turkey with gravy, BBQ ribs, a couple of slices of whole wheat toast, glass of wine, glass of milk and some dark chocolate chips as a chaser.

It gives you energy but also slows one down.

Do well with your training everyone. Stay positive.
Dinner sounds yummy! Probably not conducive to a good walk, but yummy none the less!

Old 10-28-2011, 12:30 PM   #64
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

My Training Notes

Hi Everyone. I was reading some of the posts over on the "official" run forum and felt a bit discouraged because I'm so far from where those participants seem to be. Over here, I feel a lot better because we're Walkers.

Anyway, as a woman who has struggled with weight and goal setting for so long (more than half my life, warrented or not) I'm experiencing some self discovery as I prepare for the Princess 1/2. I have a blog where I'm putting my thoughts on my training and the event. Please feel free to read and/or comment on my blog. I hope it inspires your training too!

Old 10-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #65
Dreamer2012
Mouseketeer

couldn'tomment - why?

Hey Tink - I read your Blog and wanted to leave a comment but it would not let me because it kept asking me to select a profile and the drop box had nothing to choose from...and yes it was my first time reading and/or trying to comment on a blog. I am intrigued with the whole "Blogging" thing and have thought of doing it myself someday - who knows.... Can you tell me what I need to do to comment on yours? Thanks!
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #66
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2012 View Post
Hey Tink - I read your Blog and wanted to leave a comment but it would not let me because it kept asking me to select a profile and the drop box had nothing to choose from...and yes it was my first time reading and/or trying to comment on a blog. I am intrigued with the whole "Blogging" thing and have thought of doing it myself someday - who knows.... Can you tell me what I need to do to comment on yours? Thanks!
Blogging is really as easy as posting here. You just register, name your blog and away you go. If I can do it, anyone can.

You should be able to comment. If there was no drop down, I suspect it was a glitch in loading because I can see the drop down and anonymous is one of the choices. Weird.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #67
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

Some neat icons for you all

I found these online today. Thought I'd share

Hope everyone's training is going well!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #68
Dreamer2012
Mouseketeer

The Dream is over............

We have been hit very hard by a freak October snow storm here in New England (12 inches - heavy/wet snow- terrible damage everywhere) have been with out power for several days, and the prediction is for approx a week more.........I was fortunate enough to be offered the opportunity to purchase a generator (there are thousands who are waiting in lines and trying ANYTHING to get thier hands on one) to power our fridge/freezer and heat some hot water to take a shower once in a while so I had to make the difficult decision to spend the money I had saved for my Disney 1/2 marathon dream for the betterment of my family. I'm not sorry that I made the choice (there really was no choice - did what any mom would do...)Just sorry that the choice had to be made I know there is always 2013.... but today just could not stop crying and eating Halloween candy leftover from the Halloween that never was (our town and many area towns cancelled it because of unsafe conditions - dangling limbs and downed powerlines everywhere)........... I will still follow all of you and wish you all the best on your dream......... I guess looking on the bright side - I wont have to get up to go to the gym @ 5 am anymore...
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #69
erinna
Mouseketeer

I'm SO sorry Dreamer! Set your sights on 2013 -- we can walk together!!!!

Old 11-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #70
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Sorry to read about your troubles. Hope the power comes back sooner than they expect.

Just make sure you don't eat too much of that candy and do make sure to stay with some training routine.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:38 AM   #71
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

I'm so sorry for your situation Dreamer, but I'm glad you're all safe. I'm sure you have it in the right perspective, but who wouldn't be disappointed. You're entitled to your tears and saddness. Disappointment is a horrible feeling. Keep training! 2013 will come around faster than you think!

Old 11-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #72
erinna
Mouseketeer

There's a Princess 2013 thread on this board -- you should come over and hang out. Like The Man said, we've got to "Keep Moving Forward!"
Old 11-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #73
ludari
DIS Veteran

Walking a half marathon can be done. I'm a runner and I train to run but I'm not the fastest person around but that's besides the point. Prior to the 2011 Wine & Dine half in October I fell off my road bike and broke my clavicle in four places which required surgery. I had surgery on the Tuesday before the Saturday half so for health reasons I did not run but instead I walked the entire race in 3:16. It can be done and you can do it.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic WBTA Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014; Pixie Dust Challenge & 5K-May 2015
ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #74
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludari View Post
Walking a half marathon can be done. I'm a runner and I train to run but I'm not the fastest person around but that's besides the point. Prior to the 2011 Wine & Dine half in October I fell off my road bike and broke my clavicle in four places which required surgery. I had surgery on the Tuesday before the Saturday half so for health reasons I did not run but instead I walked the entire race in 3:16. It can be done and you can do it.
THANK YOU! That's good to know! I'm encouraged by how quickly I'm responding to the effort I am making. But in the back of my head I've been worried that I won't get where I need to be. Your post makes me feel better about it all!

Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #75
FlowersCroon
Permanecer sentados, por favor.

I have read every post on this thread and am so excited I found it!

First of all, Dreamer2012, I am so sorry for the situation you are in and sorry you had to cancel your trip. I was really planning to follow along with your progress as I also train for the Princess 1/2. Maybe something will happen and you can still make it? Either way, you should keep training! You're doing an amazing job!

There is a lot of support on here - especially from the 2 resident experts - hopefully we can keep it going!

I just decided to start running and am following the Galloway walk/run training program for this 1/2 marathon. I'm going to run the 5K at Disneyland in January just before this event so I can know what a race entails in general.

I started out foolishly...After my daily 45 minute cardio workout on the elliptical, I started running on the treadmill with absolutely zero knowledge. I just thought I had to teach myself how to run a 10minute mi ASAP. So so wrong. My shoes were 3 year old clearance rack walking shoes and on top of running at the gym - I was also following the Galloway program by running in my neighborhood.

2 1/2 weeks into this craziness I couldn't walk. The bottom of my right foot was killing me. I went to the Dr. fearing plantar fasciitis or tendonitis and luckily all I did was irritate the tendon. After a 2 week break - which was SO HARD to do - I started over.

I am so slow! At a 17mi pace I feel no pain, but as soon as I increase the pace the bottom of my foot tightens up again. I am trying my best to not push myself too hard, and I think in time I will be better conditioned, but as a person who loves to exercise (but has NEVER run before) the concept of taking it slow has been difficult to adjust to. I wish I could just hit the ground running - literally! LOL

Good luck to everyone! Hope to see this thread stay alive!

Runner, writer, curator of fabulous things. Mom of an amazing teenage daughter. Friend to all.

I blog about life, parenting, Disneyland, love, music, travel & everything in between at www.FlowersCroon.com

www.twitter.com/iRunDisney
http://instagram.com/irundisney
FlowersCroon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: