Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 02:24 AM   #151
hunner
Earning My Ears

Question Help! Walking with friend!

Hi All! I have loved reading these boards as I prepare for the Princess. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories; they have helped calm my nerves and ease my guilt about not being a runner.

I have a dilemma, and I hope ya'll have some advice for me. I am walking this race with a very dear friend of mine. She has had some health troubles lately, so walking any long distance might be a challenge for her. However, she really wants to at least try the race and get to the Magic Kingdom. After that, she will be okay getting picked up by the sag wagon.

I want to walk with her as long as possible, but I also want to finish the race. If we get to the point where the sag wagon is about to pick us up, will they let me try to hustle up and run ahead of them, or will they pick me up too? I don't want to abandon her, but I also want to try to cross the finish line.

As an aside, my friend is very supportive of me finishing the race even if she gets picked up.

Thanks for any advice or insights you might have.
hunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #152
tink2007
DIS Veteran

Sorry but I have to whine

I went a week ago to have a small crack in my tooth fixed. The small crack has turned into a full blown abscess and now a bone infection. Of course all training has been put on hold which makes me feel soooo guilty.
No amount of antibiotics or pain killers seem to be working. My face is so swollen and painfull. Going back tomorrow to dentist to find out what method of treatment is next. What ever it is, it has got to hurry up and work. I have 13.1 to train for.
Thanks for letting me whine
2005 - Wilderness Lodge
2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
2009 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2010 - All Star Movies
2011 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2012 - All Star Sports
2013 - Coronado Springs Resort
2013 - Marriott's Harbour Lake
2013 - All Star Sports
2013 - Disney Cruise - Dream
2014 - Disney All Star Music
2014 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Art of Animation
2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2014 - Disney Cruise - Wonder
tink2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #153
tink2007
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=hunner;43740896]Hi All! I have loved reading these boards as I prepare for the Princess. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories; they have helped calm my nerves and ease my guilt about not being a runner.

I have a dilemma, and I hope ya'll have some advice for me. I am walking this race with a very dear friend of mine. She has had some health troubles lately, so walking any long distance might be a challenge for her. However, she really wants to at least try the race and get to the Magic Kingdom. After that, she will be okay getting picked up by the sag wagon.

I want to walk with her as long as possible, but I also want to finish the race. If we get to the point where the sag wagon is about to pick us up, will they let me try to hustle up and run ahead of them, or will they pick me up too? I don't want to abandon her, but I also want to try to cross the finish line.

As an aside, my friend is very supportive of me finishing the race even if she gets picked up

You are a great friend. I am in kinda the same situation with my best friend. I ran/walked the Princess last year. This will be my friends first half marathon. She has knee issues so she cant run but she is afraid she wont finish if we walk. She keeps telling me she will get swept and that she would feel bad for holding me back. She has come so far since we started training. She could not do 3 miles in under an hour and now she is doing 15 minute miles.
If she is not able to finish, I think she will be fine if I go on with out her. We can always try it again next year.
2005 - Wilderness Lodge
2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
2009 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2010 - All Star Movies
2011 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2012 - All Star Sports
2013 - Coronado Springs Resort
2013 - Marriott's Harbour Lake
2013 - All Star Sports
2013 - Disney Cruise - Dream
2014 - Disney All Star Music
2014 - Fort Wilderness
2014 - Art of Animation
2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge
2014 - Disney Cruise - Wonder
tink2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #154
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

tink2007, really sorry to read this. Best of luck to you and here's some to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunner View Post
Hi All! I have loved reading these boards as I prepare for the Princess. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories; they have helped calm my nerves and ease my guilt about not being a runner.

As an aside, my friend is very supportive of me finishing the race even if she gets picked up.

Thanks for any advice or insights you might have.
You will be alerted to possibly being swept. At that point you should leave and complete your half. To give your friend the greatest chance of making it to MK, get to the staging area as early as possible so you can get to the front of your corral when they release everybody to walk to the corrals.

Best of luck.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #155
AussiePossum
Disneyland 2009 & Disney Paris 2012

Hi Everyone..
I survived my first week of training for the upcoming ToT race in October (and long term 1/2 marathon next year).
I am hoping that someone who has walked/raced before can answer a question for me that I haven't been able to find in other threads.
Does everyone wear throw away clothes when it's a bit chilly?
How often do they have water stations or do you carry a bottle of water?
And what do you "carry" when you race?

I was thinking about a little camera in a bum bag for the characters along the way... I've also read some where that some have shot bars, gel's? (no idea if these are available here in Australia)
Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #156
hunner
Earning My Ears

Thanks for your replies!

Tink2007 and JohnVN, thank you for your replies! Nice to know I won't be the only one in a slower team, and I'll be sure to try to get us to the waiting point early for a better corral.
hunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #157
PrincessRhi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
tink2007, really sorry to read this. Best of luck to you and here's some to help.

You will be alerted to possibly being swept. At that point you should leave and complete your half. To give your friend the greatest chance of making it to MK, get to the staging area as early as possible so you can get to the front of your corral when they release everybody to walk to the corrals.

Best of luck.
I mean this with the most respect possible, but I don't think going to the front of the corral is good advice, especially if there are two racers.

Being at the front of your corral or placed in a faster corral than your actual anticipated finish will only give you anywhere from a 30 second to 10 minute head start, depending on how many corrals there are and where you are lined up compared to the sweeper. It's not nearly enough to make a difference if you're slower than pace and worried about falling behind, and a possible safety hazard if you're a rolling roadblock for faster people to go through.

The sweeper is the last person to step over the start line, and the pace cutoff is measured by them. As long as you stay in front of this person or keep them in your sight, you'll be fine. Like I've mentioned before, I literally was with the bike riders at the back for a while-- they don't kick you off if you think you can do it. Disney really tries to get everyone to finish.
PrincessRhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #158
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

Helpful Link

Hi Everyone

This post came up on my Facebook today. I found it very interesting reading especially right now! I'm sharing in case you didn't get the link.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/pdf/Motivation.pdf

March 2009 AKL Studio - Christmas 2009 Pop Century
March 2010 AKV - Oct 2010 F & W AKV Savannah View
March 2011 AKV - Oct 2011 F & W SSR
Feb 2012 AKV For Princess 1/2 Marathon!
TinksApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #159
PrincessRhi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussiePossum View Post
Hi Everyone..
I survived my first week of training for the upcoming ToT race in October (and long term 1/2 marathon next year).
I am hoping that someone who has walked/raced before can answer a question for me that I haven't been able to find in other threads.
Does everyone wear throw away clothes when it's a bit chilly?
How often do they have water stations or do you carry a bottle of water?
And what do you "carry" when you race?

I was thinking about a little camera in a bum bag for the characters along the way... I've also read some where that some have shot bars, gel's? (no idea if these are available here in Australia)
I gauge what I wear by a few things: what the temp is going to be at the start line, what the temp will be when I finish, how long I'm going to be standing around waiting, and how much I plan on sweating once I'm going. If it's going to be cold, I wear light layers on top and top it with a garbage bag-- those suckers insulate like anything!-- or I'll bring a mylar blanket from a previous event for when I'm just standing around. I tend to underdress, knowing I sweat like a hog once I get going. But you can always pick up something cheap from a consignment store that will be adequate. The clothes will be donated at the end of the day.

Usually there's water stations every mile or so, and there's water and electrolytes-- once the race course is published, you can tell where the water stops will be. During your training sessions, really gauge your hydration needs. If you think you'll need more than what the race provides, fuel belts work well, and you can usually fill them up at water stops if you run out.

When I race, I only carry my iPhone and two packs of Shot Bloks. The phone doubles as a camera, and if I feel that I am injured and need to get off course, it helps me notify people I'm with. I don't ever use headphones on bigger races since the crowd can be awesome, but if I needed music I could just turn it on and rudely subject others to my music.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #160
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessRhi View Post
I mean this with the most respect possible, but I don't think going to the front of the corral is good advice, especially if there are two racers.

Being at the front of your corral or placed in a faster corral than your actual anticipated finish will only give you anywhere from a 30 second to 10 minute head start, depending on how many corrals there are and where you are lined up compared to the sweeper. It's not nearly enough to make a difference if you're slower than pace and worried about falling behind, and a possible safety hazard if you're a rolling roadblock for faster people to go through.

The sweeper is the last person to step over the start line, and the pace cutoff is measured by them. As long as you stay in front of this person or keep them in your sight, you'll be fine. Like I've mentioned before, I literally was with the bike riders at the back for a while-- they don't kick you off if you think you can do it. Disney really tries to get everyone to finish.
If there are 2 racers with different corrals, the slower racer CAN NOT move up to the faster racer's corral.

If one wishes to arrive at the staging area earlier than others, getting to the front of your assigned corral is by all means allowable and there is no reason not to do so. Once over the starting mat simply move to the side of the road and maintain the desired pace.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #161
AliceSpark
Earning My Ears

Dreamer - I am so excited you are back. I would have never had the fortitude to keep training after my dream had died.

I completed my 11 miles on Saturday - although not in 16mm - I was at an 18mm with two 3 to 4 minute stops but I am going to keep training and hope I improve over the next 6 weeks. PrincessRhi thanks for the information about sweeping it makes me feel more secure. Although, I will be happy with making it through the Magic Kingdom and training - The training makes me feel mentally and physically tough and the dream was to run in Disney and to me the MK is Disney.
AliceSpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #162
PrincessRhi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
If there are 2 racers with different corrals, the slower racer CAN NOT move up to the faster racer's corral.

If one wishes to arrive at the staging area earlier than others, getting to the front of your assigned corral is by all means allowable and there is no reason not to do so. Once over the starting mat simply move to the side of the road and maintain the desired pace.
Sure you are allowed to get to the front of the corral and if you like it, go there, but my main point was that it really doesn't matter time-wise if you're in the front or the back. Disney spaces the wave starts approximately four minutes apart, and it maybe takes two to three for the corral to clear. Can you really argue that 2-3 minutes will make a difference overall? If the mental edge of being up front works to keep someone motivated, then that's reason enough. The perk I can see to starting up front is that there are fewer racers ahead of me (until they zoom past me).

My comment on corral placement was more that most people don't always estimate their finishing time correctly when they sign up 6-8 months in advance/before they've trained at distance so they're in a faster (or slower) corral to begin with-- or they know they'll finish in 3:00 but will sign up as 2:30 to give themselves a head start to avoid the sag wagon or to line up with a friend. I've had mornings where I'm in my corral feeling either off or on, so it's not always anticipated to be faster or slower... sometimes it just happens even when you have the numbers right. The key is knowing etiquette-- as you said, cross the start and move over.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #163
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

Don't forget AliceSpark, you'll have adreneline running and all the excitement of the day, and your fellow walkers with you to encourage you and keep you going. I'm counting on all that to keep me moving toward the finish line. I'm in Southern Ontario Canada and the temperatures have suddenly become very winter like (cold). Until a week or so ago I could walk outdoors. Now it's too cold and snowy/icy to risk getting hurt or sick. I'm training completely on our elliptical now and it's really hard to get past the boredom.

I am walking a 16mm when I do an actual walk but that's really pushing it. I can only hope to maintain that pace for 13.1 miles since I haven't been able to get out for longer walks because of the weather. So you won't be alone at the back of the pack if that's where you are

Old 01-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #164
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

My understanding is the bikes leave 16 minutes behind the very last person to cross the start line. I can't remember where I read that, but it was somewhere in the race material.

Also, the race material says a 16m/m minimum but if you look at the finish times for previous races, they are a lot slower than 16m/m paces. I was really worried about timing and getting swept off the course. But I've worked hard to get to the minimum speed requirement and after some encouraging posts here, I'm going to just go with the flow of the day, do my best, and enjoy the event. If it's not good enough, then I'll just have to try again another time.

The thing that really keeps me going is that Disney promotes this event as a Beginner to Veteran event. In their words "This race experience is fit for a princess earning her glass running slippers or a woman who runs her kingdom already."

We can do this ladies (and you few brave gentlemen)! We have what it takes: commitment, courage, determination, fantasy, perseverance, and strength.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #165
Dreamer2012
Mouseketeer

Thanks

Thanks AliceSpark! I am so very excited to be going again!! Like everyone else I too am afraid of not making it - or being swept up, but have decided to trust my training as I have been told earlier in this thread! This weekend we are scheduled for our 12 mile walk - that should be a pretty goon indicator of what our times will be and more importantly our stamina.... we will be on a treadmill this Sat am. - Crazy as it may sound I LIKE THE TREADMILL... I can watch tv or a movie on my cell phone and the machine keeps me walking at the right pace so to me it is perfect! I am worrying that with out the machine I will not keep the pace even though I can. Anyone else have this problem/worry? My other question for a veteran possibly is - after this sat long walk should we start to taper? How does that work? What would you suggest? I also want say how inspiring Tinksapprentice and PrincessRhi have been to read. Thanks ladies for perservereing and always having something interesting to say! Also I am having a difficult time finding a running skirt with capri length leggings - any suggestions where I might find one that is not sooo expensive? Thanks!
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: