Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #136
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess.april120 View Post
Thanks for posting the link @ sweeping info. I know I can make 13.1mi, I just don't know if I can do it in 3:30. The comments by coach charles are especially reassuring...

I know I can do 13.1 miles too. I know I can do 3:30 too. What I'm worried about, is can I do 13.1 IN 3:30?

I haven't read the link yet, but I will. I've been training hard and reading all the posts. Thanks for all the great inspiration fellow walking Princesses!

ChimneySweepGeorge, I am very grateful for all the great information you have shared. You have pointed me in the right direction several times!

When I first committed to the race, I was so afraid I would be the only walker. I'm so glad to know there are lots of us. I am on schedule for race day. I am able to sustain a comfortable 16m/m and pushing the distance every day! My daughter and I are walking together. A friend of ours is doing the race but registered at a much faster time so will likely be in a different corral.

I truly hope that I get to say hello and high 5 each and every one of you here on the board. In your own way, you have kept me going - even though I've been very quiet here.

Keep at it friends!

March 2009 AKL Studio - Christmas 2009 Pop Century
March 2010 AKV - Oct 2010 F & W AKV Savannah View
March 2011 AKV - Oct 2011 F & W SSR
Feb 2012 AKV For Princess 1/2 Marathon!
TinksApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #137
megny
Mouseketeer

Hello Princess Half Walkers! I love that you have a solo thread here! I'm a walker, fresh off the Chip N Dale race yesterday, now ready to focus on the princess. CAN NOT WAIT for this race! I read somewhere that someone said this race was the most fun of all the Disney races she'd done.

How frequently are you all walking each week? One thing I struggled with during the holiday season was making time for my training, and I walked into this weekend way undertrained... would like to step it up a bit for the Princess and perhaps improve on my W&D time (3:32). Just curious what everyone is doing...

Keep it up all!!
megny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #138
PrincessRhi
Mouseketeer

After running this past weekend, I will say that the volunteers and race staff do EVERYTHING they can to help you get to that finish line, even if you're off pace. If you go in with a bit of training so your legs are ready for the distance and length of time, you should be fine. I think the race organizers realize that people will want to do things like stop for photo ops with characters on the side of the road, so they allow for a bit of extra time. The Disney races are by far the most beginner friendly and fun distance events I've run. I mean really, who smiles during a half marathon? Just about everyone at a Disney event.

My big advice going into the race is not to worry about it-- don't outdo your own pace in fear of the sag wagon (which you won't see until later in the race, or hopefully never!). And definitely just go out and have the goal to finish and have fun.

Oh- quick tip I'm not sure has been mentioned yet... they measure the pace after the last runner has cleared the finish line, not the first. So you'll have a bit of a buffer built in depending upon where you start.

Last edited by PrincessRhi; 01-10-2012 at 12:21 PM.
PrincessRhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #139
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by megny View Post

Hello Princess Half Walkers! I love that you have a solo thread here! I'm a walker, fresh off the Chip N Dale race yesterday, now ready to focus on the princess. CAN NOT WAIT for this race! I read somewhere that someone said this race was the most fun of all the Disney races she'd done.

How frequently are you all walking each week? One thing I struggled with during the holiday season was making time for my training, and I walked into this weekend way undertrained... would like to step it up a bit for the Princess and perhaps improve on my W&D time (3:32). Just curious what everyone is doing...

Keep it up all!!
Hi Megny! Welcome! I doing daily walks on my elliptical trainer Mon to Friday, and doing an outdoor walk on Saturday. I started training a little late so my initial goal was just to start and finish under my own power.

I am now comfortably walking at at 16min/mile pace so I recently changed my training so that I am "running" Mon to Thurs on the elliptical. I take Friday off and then do a long brisk walk outdoors on Saturday. I'm aiming for a 7 mile walk this weekend coming up (provided the weather holds because I'm in Ontario Canada)

I'd like to finish quicker than my estimated time of 3:30 but I plan to enjoy as much of the event as I can.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #140
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessRhi View Post
After running this past weekend, I will say that the volunteers and race staff do EVERYTHING they can to help you get to that finish line, even if you're off pace. If you go in with a bit of training so your legs are ready for the distance and length of time, you should be fine. I think the race organizers realize that people will want to do things like stop for photo ops with characters on the side of the road, so they allow for a bit of extra time. The Disney races are by far the most beginner friendly and fun distance events I've run. I mean really, who smiles during a half marathon? Just about everyone at a Disney event.

My big advice going into the race is not to worry about it-- don't outdo your own pace in fear of the sag wagon (which you won't see until later in the race, or hopefully never!). And definitely just go out and have the goal to finish and have fun.

Oh- quick tip I'm not sure has been mentioned yet... they measure the pace after the last runner has cleared the finish line, not the first. So you'll have a bit of a buffer built in depending upon where you start.
Thanks PrincessRhi! All the blogs I've read and other material from Run Disney etc, it really seems beginner friendly. I'm relieved to hear that I can just go out, enjoy and finish under my own power to get my medal :D

Old 01-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #141
PrincessRhi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksApprentice View Post
Thanks PrincessRhi! All the blogs I've read and other material from Run Disney etc, it really seems beginner friendly. I'm relieved to hear that I can just go out, enjoy and finish under my own power to get my medal :D
No problem! I wish you all the best and perhaps we'll see each other out there!

This past weekend after thinking my phone fell in the porta potty at one of my many stops before mile 5, I wasted a bunch of time going back to the porta potty and looking for it only to find it in my bra strap (DOH!) and fell behind. The sweepers on bikes basically told me that I needed to keep the balloons in my view and never forced me off the course, despite the sag wagons being behind us. This was a complete contrast to my experience at a RnR event this past summer. The race started 45 min late, I stopped to use the porta potty a few miles in and was picked up coming out of the porta potty by the sag wagon without being given a chance to get back out there and catch up because "they needed to open the roads". Total disappointment. So glad Disney doesn't operate like that.

Lesson learned by these experiences: wear Depends
Old 01-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #142
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

Being a first timer, I'm SO glad Disney will give us every possibility to finish! I'm working so hard to meet the requirements and plan to do the very best I can. It takes a lot of pressure off knowing that it's not a hard and fast minimum!

I will be there with my daughter, in a sparkly black skirt and pink blingy crown. I'm making my daughter (16) a blue and white tutu (my little Country Belle) and attaching a big blue bow to her hat.

We're SO excited!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #143
PrincessRhi
Mouseketeer

Awesome! My friends and I are debating between getting costumes as Disney Princesses or ridiculously outlandish tutus in the brightest colors we can find.

It's kind of amazing-- before last weekend's events, I thought it would be my last distance run for at least a year so I could get back into running shape. Now a few days later we're registering for the Princess and eagerly awaiting the registration dates for the the DL 1/2, Tower of Terror 10 miler, and the Wine and Dine 1/2. I may need a self-help group for addiction to Disney running events!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #144
Dreamer2012
Mouseketeer

I'M Baaaccckkkk!!!

Hello old friends and hello new friends! I can not believe what a twist of fate has happened and I WILL MAKE THE PRINCESS 1/2 THIS YEAR ON MY BIRTHDAY!! If some of you remember from earlier posts when I started this thread I was very excited and training for this event (tried running/not for me - decided to walk it!) and then we had a freak October snowstorm which forced me to make a difficult decision which in turn made me unable to participate in the Princess 1/2 - well because of the support and well wishes and on the advice of some of you I continued to train and in a marvoulous unexpected twist of fate I WILL BE THERE THIS YEAR!! I am beyond excited and grateful to my friends and family for helping me to keep this dream alive! I walked my longest walk two weekends ago - doing 10 miles @ 15min per mile pace the entire time!! Granted I was a the treadmill - but I still made it! I was both excited and proud of myself!! I remember at one point we had all talked of possibly meeting up - did any of you continue on that path? If so can I re-join the party? If not is there any interest? I am sooo HAPPY to be back!! THIS WILL BE A GREAT BIRTHDAY!! Can't wait to hear from you!!
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #145
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer2012 View Post
Hello old friends and hello new friends! I can not believe what a twist of fate has happened and I WILL MAKE THE PRINCESS 1/2 THIS YEAR ON MY BIRTHDAY!! If some of you remember from earlier posts when I started this thread I was very excited and training for this event (tried running/not for me - decided to walk it!) and then we had a freak October snowstorm which forced me to make a difficult decision which in turn made me unable to participate in the Princess 1/2 - well because of the support and well wishes and on the advice of some of you I continued to train and in a marvoulous unexpected twist of fate I WILL BE THERE THIS YEAR!! I am beyond excited and grateful to my friends and family for helping me to keep this dream alive! I walked my longest walk two weekends ago - doing 10 miles @ 15min per mile pace the entire time!! Granted I was a the treadmill - but I still made it! I was both excited and proud of myself!! I remember at one point we had all talked of possibly meeting up - did any of you continue on that path? If so can I re-join the party? If not is there any interest? I am sooo HAPPY to be back!! THIS WILL BE A GREAT BIRTHDAY!! Can't wait to hear from you!!
Welcome back. I am so pleased to read of your good fortune and your fantastic walk. I wish you and all the other Princess Athletes a wonderful race.

BTW, I completed my 2nd Dopey by WALKING this past weekend and maybe next year I will see you at WDW's 2013 Marathon Weekend.

Last edited by John VN; 01-11-2012 at 08:17 PM.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #146
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!! Such great news! You were SO sad when things went sour! Aren't you glad you kept up with the training!!!! HURRAH!!!

I don't know that there's been any official talk about meeting up but I'm hoping to at least say hello to as many as possible! Especially the people on this thread who have been so helpful in keeping me on track!

Thanks for sharing your joy Dreamer! SO happy for your change in fate!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #147
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
BTW, I completed my 2nd Dopey by WALKING this past weekend and maybe next year I will see you at WDW's 2013 Marathon Weekend.
Wow! Good for you John! Congratulations! Walkers Rule :D

Old 01-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #148
suzysharp
Mouseketeer

I think its awesome that you have your own thread for walkers for the Princess half! I'm doing the Tinkerbell 1/2 in 2 weeks and am nervous/excited for it. I hope I will be able to complete it b4 being swept as I do a run/walk combo! I am doing my last long training tomorrow with a minimum of a 10 mile goal. It sounds like you have quite the team of awesome walkers, you make me wish I was doing the princess with you!!

91 - Disney Inn, 96 - Yacht Club, 98 - Boardwalk, 00(twice) - Wilderness Lodge, 04 - Wilderness Lodge, 05 - Saratoga Springs, 06 - Boardwalk Villas, Apr 08 - Animal Kingdom Villas, Nov 09 - Saratoga Springs, May 10 - Boardwalk Villas, Nov 10 - Boardwalk Villas, May 11 - Sequoia Lodge (DLP), Dec/Jan 11 - Boardwalk Villas, Jan 12 - Disneyland Hotel, Nov 12 - Boardwalk Villas, Feb 13 -Disney Wonder & Vero Beach, May/June 13 - ABD Barcelona & Disney Magic, Nov/Dec 13 - Saratoga Springs, Jan 14 - Boardwalk Villas, May 14 - Hotel NY (DLP), Jan 15 - Disney Magic, May 15 - Members Cruise to Alaska

2012 3 Caballeros' 5k - 1st race, 2012 Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon, 2012 Wine and Dine, 2012 C2C Competed!!!
2014 Minnie Mouse 10k
suzysharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #149
Dreamer2012
Mouseketeer

Only 44 days til the princess 1/2!!

As you can tell my level of excitement is just growing daily! I will be enjoying a fun weekend at an indoor water park this weekend with my family celebrating my youngest childs 14th birthday! I am looking forward to the incredible indoor/outdoor hot tub there! Dont worry I will be bringing my sneakers and taking advantage of thier gym to do my miles while I am there. I did not stop training when I didnt think I would make it - so I am not about to start now.... Next week is the longest scheduled walk of 12 miles....I must admit I am a bit nervous to see if I am able to keep the pace for that long? I have been reading on other threads about what everyone is wearing - has anyone over here given any thought to that? are you going all out Princess mode/ or just a touch or not dressing up at all? Are any of you signed up for the Pasta in the Park or the race package? Hope to hear from you soon!
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #150
TinksApprentice
Earning My Pixie Dust

Hope you enjoy the water park Dreamer. I had a 7 mile walk planned for tomorrow, but we got snow and a huge dip in temps. I guess I'll have to do it on the elliptical... but boredom sets in looooooong before exhaustion. However, like you, I'm very determined so I'll give it a good shot.

I'm wearing a sparkle skirt from sparkleskirts.com (I think they are vendors at the expo too) and a pink crown. My daughter is walking with me, she's wearing a blue and white tutu and a big blue bow.

Suzy, good luck on your event! I'm sure you'll finish without being swept. My other Princess buddy wants to do the DL 1/2 in Sept. I'm not sure I can commit to another long distance event... but when it's a Disney event it might be hard to say no to! Please let us know how the event goes and how you make out! Cheering for you from here in snowy Southern Ontario!

Penny

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: