Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #16
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Hi tinker bell! Thanks for your report. Viva Italia is probably our all time favorite ABD. It was our first, we were with wonderful people and we had a grand time! It was nice reliving the memory through your post. There were a number of folks getting queasy on the ride to and from the villa in Artimino as well, in fact one boy could not hold it and just threw up on the coach right before getting off. We also had an 86 y/o woman in our group and she kept up as well, never held us back! She looked really good though for someone almost 90.

Thanks again!

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #17
beachcat
Mouseketeer

Must -do in Venice

Thanks for the great report there Tink. A question for you. If you had an extra day in Venice, what would be # 1 on your list to do beyond the tour? I am a Hard Rock fan and am definitely hitting the Hard Rock for 1 hour but that is all because there are so many in the US. I am looking for something out of the ordinary. Murano island is on the list too. Thanks. Glad you had a great trip and I'll say hello to Marco and Courtney for you if you PM me your name. Patti and I are going on Oct.13.
beachcat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #18
tinkerbell10309
Earning My Ears

Hi Beachcat - my name is Renee - if by chance you happen to get Marco and Courtney just say hi from me. If you want you can tell them I am from the family group of 8. They did a wonderful job, hope you are just as pleased with them as we were.

If I had an extra day in Venice I would have gone over to Murano. Also, there were people on the exterior wrap around balcony (for use of better words) of St. Marks Cathedral I would have taken the time to see what that was all about and maybe have done that. I also would have gone over to the Bridge of Sighs and visited the Dogies Palace like my son did.

There are only so many hours in day - wish I had an extra free day in Venice.

Enjoy your trip - it was great.

Renee
tinkerbell10309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:04 PM   #19
tinkerbell10309
Earning My Ears

Beachcat - there is a Hard Rock down the street from the Hotel in Rome and there is also one near the hotel in Venice. I am not sure about Florence I didn't see one but I wasn't looking for one either.
tinkerbell10309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #20
beachcat
Mouseketeer

Guides

Thank you Tinkerbell. We are really looking forward to this trip. It is going to be a marathon. The good thing is that the Hard Rock is within walking distance in both Rome and Venice. Murano is a will do. St. Mark's at midnight is also. I will check out that balcony for sure.

This is my 2nd ABD. I will say hello to Courtney and Marco for you. My guides in London were amused when a future guest said hello for me. They definitely will remember a 8 guest party. Leaving on the 7th to London first. Can't wait.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #21
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Tink, Thanks for your great report. We have only traveled with ABD in the U.S. and know about that "magic". It really saves alot of time. We have cruised with Disney twice in the Med. and they(DCL) have the same pixie dust in their excursions. IT makes the whole time less stressful.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #22
beachcat
Mouseketeer

Rome

Hello Renee

Did you see La Botticella or Taverna Piscinula while in Rome? The former is supposed to be a good sports bar while the latter is a good pizza place I have on good authority. Patti has already found a jewelry store close to the hotel, but I am still looking for sights outside of the tour. Got any suggestions? Thanks

Richard
Old 10-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #23
Diskidatheart
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcat View Post
Hello Renee

Did you see La Botticella or Taverna Piscinula while in Rome? The former is supposed to be a good sports bar while the latter is a good pizza place I have on good authority.

Richard
Beachcat...I just wanted to let you know that La Botticella is more of a Pittsburgh Steelers bar than a sports bar. If you are looking for a place to watch sports, it may end up disappointing you a bit. If you are interested in finding it, it's very close to Piazza Navano and I could give you better directions as the guides probably won't know where it is. My wife and I searched a little while before we found it, but it is really simple to find once you know where it is.
Diskidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #24
beachcat
Mouseketeer

La Botticella

Hello Diskidatheart I printed a map out will instructions from all my Steelers friends to take pictures and buy Italian terrible towels if they have any. Did you go to Largo di Torres Argentina by chance? Patti wants to see all the refugee cats that hide there. Wondering if it is worth the effort.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #25
Diskidatheart
Mouseketeer

I did not go to Largo di Torres Argentina. To be honest, I'm not sure what that is. We took a couple of Penguins t-shirts with us and gave it to the owner so he gave us a free Italian Steelers t-shirt. I don't know if they have Italian terrible towels at La Boticella, but I was able to find one in Pittsburgh. The shirts are really cool and they are a great conversation piece since they are in both Italian and English.
Diskidatheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #26
beachcat
Mouseketeer

Facebook

La Botticella has a good facebook page which shows their towels. I am supposed to buy at least 3. Largo Torres di Argentina is a square with ruins that all the feral cats in the area have adopted. I don't know if it is worth visiting but I will find out. Time for some good pizza ina couple of weeks.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:54 PM   #27
jlou
Mouseketeer

Great trip report! Thanks for all the great tips!

Me , Hubby , DS (16 at time of our trip) , and DD (13 at time of our trip)
jlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #28
CoolDisGuy
Earning My Ears

First ABD Adventure!

Tink

Fabulous trip reports! Very detailed but still leaves a few hidden details - I love it!

There were two places on my wish list that are not part of the itinerary, the Tower of Pisa and Pompeii. After reading a lot of reviews, it seems the Tower of Pisa is not worth the time and effort and difficult to fit into the itinerary. However, Pompeii is a must and I was thinking I would just tack it onto the end of the trip. Travel back to Rome and spend two more days there using one day for a trip to Pompeii and then departing on the second day. Thoughts?

When did you find out who your guides would be (was it only on arrival)?

Sounds like you had a fabulous time! I am planning to go in May 2013. There is an adult only adventure that month.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #29
mapsd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDisGuy View Post
..There were two places on my wish list that are not part of the itinerary, the Tower of Pisa and Pompeii. After reading a lot of reviews, it seems the Tower of Pisa is not worth the time and effort and difficult to fit into the itinerary. However, Pompeii is a must and I was thinking I would just tack it onto the end of the trip. Travel back to Rome and spend two more days there using one day for a trip to Pompeii and then departing on the second day. Thoughts?....
We solvedthis by arriving a few days early and travelling down to Pompeii before our Viva Italia tour begins. Lodging in Sorrento is signficantly cheaper than Rome and you have a chance to see the Amalfi Coast/Capri along with Pompeii.

I think most do an open-jaw ticket: flying into Rome and out of Venice. Venice->Pompeii->Rome would be a llong train ride or require flying, so unless a round trip to Rome is significantly cheaper than the open-jaw option, back tracking for Pompeii would take signficant time/$$.

We're not planning on seeing Pisa, but it could be done during the "down-time" day in Tuscany.
mapsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: