Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #61
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'
 
melancholywings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: WA
Posts: 1,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
Exactly! and again we aren't talking toddlers but any child who can go to school for 6-8 hours and can care for them selves there can care for them selves on a plane for the same or less hours. It is the Moms who can't deal with it not the kids.
I disagree, not every child is built the same and it's wrong to assume that just because one 6 year old can handle sitting with strangers and away from their family all 6 year olds can. It's not one size fits all.

In the case of the OP where she picked her seats together and the airline is at fault for them no longer being together - the airline should move seats around to allow the children to sit with at least one adult. Airlines have to move seats around all the time - too many babies in the same row, children in the exit row, people in the exit row who don't want the responsibility. Regardless of what seat you pick the airline will do what they feel is best for the safety of all passengers.
__________________
Past Trips: DL '86, DL '91, DL '06, DW '07, DL '07, DW '09, DL '11
Next Trip: DW '13
----------------------------
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #62
my2minnies
Mouseketeer
 
my2minnies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Great post!!!!!I so hate the "Ha ha, you won't want to sit next to my crying/puking kid" comment. Grow up already! If you ask nicely, people may be willing to accomodate you. Plunk your kid down and start making comments about how bad a flyer they are, and you will most likely end up with your child being ignored.

OP--A few years back we became aware that Delts sometimes holds back the last row on the airplane. I had purchased an airline ticket, and then my sister and her family decided to fly, instead of drive, a few weeks later. We called, and Delta told us to check at the gate, that they left that back row unassigned so that they could shuffle people around. We all ended up seated together, towards the front of the plane.
I don't think anyone on here is saying they will plop their crying kid down if their seats are not honored. The op simply stated that she chose seats for her family through Expedia, but Delta did not honor them. Luckily she was able to fix the situation so her children who have never flown before could sit with her. Where is the entitlement in that? I have not read anywhere on here where people feel that people are required to move to accommodate a family. Don't move your seat when you see a family with young children struggling to figure out seating arrangements. There will always be some kind person who will.

If any airline messes up and separates family members they should move people to accommodate a family. Why are these other people without kids entitled to keep their seats? Remember, as many of you have stated, seating arrangements can change at any time.

What I cannot understand is why someone would want to sit away from their child? When I am on a family vacation, I want to be with my kids. I do believe a child of the age of 8 may be too nervous to sit without a parent especially when they have never flown before.
__________________
Mom to (13) (11)
(8) (8)
my2minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #63
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran
 
WantToGoNow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,196

My dd7 has flown twice before and would probably be fine if she was placed next to strangers. She's going to talk their ear off, but she will be fine. She also has a lot of nosebleeds from a platelet disorder and she almost always has a bleed on the plane (altitude change or something). She can take care of it herself pretty much unless it's one of the ones she terms a "gusher" and then it can get ugly.

My ds10 has never flown. And he's afraid of heights. And he has a lot of anxiety. This is a surprise trip so he won't even know about it until the morning of so he doesn't have time to prepare (or flip out). He would probably be in hysterics if he's not sitting with me or dd27.

We purchased seats on AirTran that are 2x2 (except one leg where we are 3x1 with me by myself and dd27, ds10 and dd7 together). Dh is sitting this one out.
WantToGoNow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #64
Aunt Bee
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by YO's Mom View Post
It's perfectly normal for moms to take 8 year old boys into the women's restroom with them because the child is too young to go to the men's room alone, but I'm being overprotective because I would prefer that my children sit with me (as opposed to strangers) on a 3 hour flight - and I'm sure those boys have gone to pee a lot more times than my daughters have flown!

I'm really sorry I bothered to post this. Silly me. I thought I might help some other family. I didn't realize how many people have nothing better to do than sit around judging others parenting decisions. You don’t know me, and you don’t know my children. You have no idea what they’ve been through. So how about y’all stick to raising your own kids (real or hypothetical) and I’ll raise mine.

BTW, if we get to the airport and learn that we aren’t sitting together, we’ll work it out, but I sure as heck wasn’t going to start out knowing we were going to be separated.
You know your children, and if you think they will be freaked out if they have to sit with strangers, the best hope is to get to airport early, early, recheck seat assignments, and hope for the best.

BUT, if it doesn't work out and you and your children cannot sit together, hopefully you will take comfort in knowing that thousands of unaccompanied minors fly on airplanes all the time and do quite well.

I used to fly frequently for work and can't tell you how many times I've seen 5 year olds do beautifully sitting in the middle row between 2 grownup strangers. I've been in a row with unaccompanied kids many times myself.

Flight attendants are very vigilant; if there's a problem with your child they can't handle, they will alert you quickly.

Hopefully, on the off off chance that you are assigned separate seats and if there isn't a kind stranger on board willling to switch seats with you, then just go with the flow. And the next time, avoid Expedia and book directly with the airline.

Good luck and Pixe Dust for a good trip.

Aunt Bee
Aunt Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #65
Leajess99
DIS Veteran
 
Leajess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,315

[QUOTE=WolverineQ;42795745]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnrynKewkel View Post
Fine. But the fact remains, I still shelled out my hard-earned cash for a particular seat for particular reasons. In the case of equipment change, I should get the seat - or something as close to it as possible - I paid for over someone who didn't. Money talks, bullsh!t walks.

Your facts are wrong. If you paid a premium it was for a seat in a certain section (1st class, economy, economy plus, etc), not a specific seat or seat location. I've never heard of someone moved from a premium section to the economy section, but you can expect to be moved around the section. As a matter of fact, the FA can move you around at their discretion once you're on the plane. But they wouldn't move you, because you'd be ignoring them.
I actually find this interesting as not too long ago we were told you had to sit in the seat you were assigned and could not changes seats due to the flight manifest. What happens should said plane crash and victims can't quickly be identified so they go off of the manifest and notify the families of those listed on the manifest of the deaths?? I guarantee there would be one heck of a lawsuit if the survivor's family was misinformed of his death because a flight attendant made him/her change seats.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #66
Leajess99
DIS Veteran
 
Leajess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,315

Quote:
Originally Posted by melancholywings View Post
I disagree, not every child is built the same and it's wrong to assume that just because one 6 year old can handle sitting with strangers and away from their family all 6 year olds can. It's not one size fits all.

In the case of the OP where she picked her seats together and the airline is at fault for them no longer being together - the airline should move seats around to allow the children to sit with at least one adult. Airlines have to move seats around all the time - too many babies in the same row, children in the exit row, people in the exit row who don't want the responsibility. Regardless of what seat you pick the airline will do what they feel is best for the safety of all passengers.
Please go reread because she did NOT book through the airline but booked through Expedia. Delta is NOT at fault here and the OP is the one who made the choice to NOT use the airline so it is on her.

Again, her children are old enough to sit away from her as far as the airlines are concerned. At their ages the airlines allow them to fly as unaccompanied minors and know that kids can sit away from their parents.

ETA - Expedia doesn't know what seats are already booked on the Delta flights therefore it is kind of hard for them to allow seat assignments. Booking through expedia is a "hope it all works out" thing. Delta is going to give seat preference to those who book with them as they know what is and is not available on any flight.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #67
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!
 
ClarabelleCowFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7,487

Read your contract of carriage with the airline (you agreed to it by purchasing a ticket). You don't buy a specific seat on an airplane. The airlines can and will move your seats (and flights for that matter) at will if it suits them. All they have to do is get you from point A to point B in a reasonable time frame.

And the previous poster hit the nail on the head - it is the sense of ENTITLEMENT that is pushing buttons on here. Good call on that one.
__________________
ClarabelleCowFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #68
sparklynails23
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,877

DH flies all the time and gives up his seat for families without hesitation. I don't get the attitude of, "I'll show them. How dare those parents ask for my seat." It's not a big deal. If you feel like being a jerk, someone else will be nice. No biggie. Flying sucks, no matter where you sit.
sparklynails23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:06 AM   #69
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 21,687

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklynails23 View Post
DH flies all the time and gives up his seat for families without hesitation. I don't get the attitude of, "I'll show them. How dare those parents ask for my seat." It's not a big deal. If you feel like being a jerk, someone else will be nice. No biggie. Flying sucks, no matter where you sit.
Look at it the other way: Why should someone who has paid up to $20 per person for seats be expected to seperate from their family in order to accomodate another family? Not moving doesn't make anyone a jerk. What is jerky is to not pay for seats and then expect someone else to move to accomodate you. I know that is NOT what happened to the OP, but if you travel enough before long you end up asked to move. And it is frustrating.
__________________
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #70
DISNEYFOS
DIS Veteran
 
DISNEYFOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 960

Its funny after being away from the boards for a year or so to come back and see this thread again. People are so worried about someone getting one up on them. Yes you are right..no one is entitled to have their seat assignments honored..nor are they entitled to have someone move so they can sit with their young child.

But we as a community should feel a slight obligation to help others if we are able just to make everyones life experience a little more pleasant. If someone is in distress and we are able to offer a something to help relieve that distress then isn't it just the "nice thing to do".

Just for the record, I would change my seat if it meant a scared child could sit with their mother..I also offer my seat on buses to just boarding mothers holding babies or elderly..or anyone that seems to be having more difficulty than I with the situation. It makes me feel nice. You should try it.

Can't we all just get along.

I'll probably log in in a year or so and have to post the same thing again.
__________________
(DD 10) (DD 6)
DISNEYFOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #71
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,334

[QUOTE=Leajess99;42799307]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineQ View Post

I actually find this interesting as not too long ago we were told you had to sit in the seat you were assigned and could not changes seats due to the flight manifest. What happens should said plane crash and victims can't quickly be identified so they go off of the manifest and notify the families of those listed on the manifest of the deaths?? I guarantee there would be one heck of a lawsuit if the survivor's family was misinformed of his death because a flight attendant made him/her change seats.
This doesn't make sense. The victims of a plane crash will be listed as being on the plane, regardless of what seat they are in. I don't think (assuming there are survivors) airlines simply look at "the passenger in seat 23A didn't survive, so that must be John Doe".
__________________
Oasis of the Seas W. Caribbean June 8-June 15, 2013
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #72
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,778

Nevermind. I have not had my coffee yet!

Last edited by robinb; 09-30-2011 at 08:08 AM.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #73
ccgirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 7,458

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2minnies View Post
I don't think anyone on here is saying they will plop their crying kid down if their seats are not honored. The op simply stated that she chose seats for her family through Expedia, but Delta did not honor them. Luckily she was able to fix the situation so her children who have never flown before could sit with her. Where is the entitlement in that? I have not read anywhere on here where people feel that people are required to move to accommodate a family. Don't move your seat when you see a family with young children struggling to figure out seating arrangements. There will always be some kind person who will.

If any airline messes up and separates family members they should move people to accommodate a family. Why are these other people without kids entitled to keep their seats? Remember, as many of you have stated, seating arrangements can change at any time.

What I cannot understand is why someone would want to sit away from their child? When I am on a family vacation, I want to be with my kids. I do believe a child of the age of 8 may be too nervous to sit without a parent especially when they have never flown before.
Just wanted to respond to the bolded. Sometimes, due to logistics families do get split up. I try to prepare my children for all possibilities while flying so they are not so surprised. I find preparation is key. As for sisting away from them, as I said, my 8 year old actually prefers it. She says it makes her feel like a "big girl". Again, this is just my own experience. I realize not all 8 year olds are as independent.

I cannot sit in the middle of a row due to issues. Therefore, if the seat you are giving up is a middle seat I cannot switch no matter what age the child is. Now, if you need to trade another aisle seat, I will gladly switch with you.

As another poster indicated, the OP did NOT book from the airline, she booked from Expedia. As she said, in small writing it stated the airline may not honor seat assignments. That is why I always book through the airline.

While, certainly, I think people can be more accommodating when airlines make mistakes it is the parents that book the flight knowing their seats are not together and don't care because they expect others to be displaced for their convenience that frustrate most. Or, they don't pay the fee for seat assignments because they want to save money. In that case, the priority was the $$ not sitting next to your child.
__________________
MEDH37DD7DS2
May 1 - May 8 2010 BWV Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2466128
Dec 2 - Dec 12 2010 ASMo and Marriott Harbour Lake
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #74
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,571

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2minnies View Post
I don't think anyone on here is saying they will plop their crying kid down if their seats are not honored. The op simply stated that she chose seats for her family through Expedia, but Delta did not honor them. Luckily she was able to fix the situation so her children who have never flown before could sit with her. Where is the entitlement in that? I have not read anywhere on here where people feel that people are required to move to accommodate a family. Don't move your seat when you see a family with young children struggling to figure out seating arrangements. There will always be some kind person who will.

If any airline messes up and separates family members they should move people to accommodate a family. Why are these other people without kids entitled to keep their seats? Remember, as many of you have stated, seating arrangements can change at any time.

What I cannot understand is why someone would want to sit away from their child? When I am on a family vacation, I want to be with my kids. I do believe a child of the age of 8 may be too nervous to sit without a parent especially when they have never flown before.
Being on a family vacation doesn't mean I need to spend every waking second with my kids. And sitting on a plane with them doesn't mean we are interacting with each other, either. My kids are capable of entertaining themselves and they've known from a very young age how to behave on a plane. My son at 8 (only last year) would have been fine seated away from us. Then again, they know when we're on a plane NOT to bother me unless there is a very good reason. I pull out my kindle, ipod and blanket, and go into my zone.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:40 AM   #75
lan3
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 143

[QUOTE=Leajess99;42799307]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolverineQ View Post

I actually find this interesting as not too long ago we were told you had to sit in the seat you were assigned and could not changes seats due to the flight manifest. What happens should said plane crash and victims can't quickly be identified so they go off of the manifest and notify the families of those listed on the manifest of the deaths?? I guarantee there would be one heck of a lawsuit if the survivor's family was misinformed of his death because a flight attendant made him/her change seats.
I never sit in my assigned seats. I get assigned seats for my family and we sit wherever amongst the seats we booked. Nobody made sure the right person was in each seat. I am sure they would use other methods of confirming survivors.
lan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.