Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Skip2MyLou
Mouseketeer

Haircuts

How attached to your hair are you? Do you think it makes you who you are?

I know someone that gets their haircut once a year, and cries every time. They grew up being told women should have long hair. This person's hair was shoulder blade length & is now just past her shoulders. She got a haircut several days ago & is still pouting about it being "short". She says she told the stylist to trim & put layers in. It looks to me like that is what they did but this person is still complaining that it is too short.

Honestly, you can't even tell unless she mentions it. I didn't notice at first and I see her at least every other day.

FWIW, I have grown up having my hair all different lengths. I hate it on my neck in the summer so if it is long, it is usually in a pony tail anyways. I recently got it cut into a short, stylish cut, and love it.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Interesting question.

I have had a drastic cut a time or two and it did make me feel weird until I got used to it. I grew it out and didn't do it again until I forgot. How crazy is that? I didn't complain about it. Just didn't feel like me. A shoulder blade to shoulder cut wouldn't be that drastic to me. But everyone's different.

I don't know, but from just observation (and myself in mind too) I think people tend to stick to one hairstyle. Growing up, I had super long hair. But since becoming an adult I have had some variation of a bob (long, shorter, in between) most of the time. I have branched out on a few occasions. But I like it. It works for me.

Most of the people I know have had the same style or close to it over the years. I don't know why that is, probably for the same reasons I stick to my style. Don't fix what isn't broken. Or what doesn't seem to be broken whatever the case may be.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip2MyLou
I'm pretty attached. Yes, in part.

I think most people are - women and men. I know lots of men who are very sensitive about their hair loss.

One of the hardest parts about going through chemotherapy isn't just the side effects of feeling sick, it's about the loss of hair. When faced with that, it's really scary. I'd say it was pretty traumatic for me.

Michael Landon, the actor from Bonanza and Little House on the Prairie, had a hair obsession. The story about your friend crying when her hair was cut reminded me of him and his hair.

Quote:
In 1955, when he was 19, his straight blonde hair was turning darker and extremely wavy, with a sprinkling of gray. It would get progressively grayer as the years went by. These same changes occurred with Evelyn's straight blonde hair a few years before, but she would lighten it with lemon juice and lay out in the sun. Eugene resembled his Jewish father's facial appearance, with no resemblance to his mother. His older sister looked more like her then he did.

Having moved to Los Angeles in February 1955, he enrolled at USC. His fellow teamates were jealous of him and that long hair. One day on the field, they pinned him down and cut it off. This would mark the end of his stay at USC. He honestly believed growing his hair longer would physically make him stronger, after he saw the 1949 film "Samson and Delilah", with Victor Mature and Hedy Lamarr. Although he really didn't grow his hair out very long until some thirteen years later, it apparently had some kind of strengthening on his physical condition for a little guy.

http://ponderosascenery.homestead.co...tbios/joe.html

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013

Last edited by Pea-n-Me; 01-22-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

Growing up, I had hair down to about my butt from the time I was 5 to about 16. I was a bit of a class clown, and when I grew tired of it and had been thinking of cutting it, I decided to ask some of my fellow students in homeroom how much they'd pay me to chop it off. I got up to about $20, made two pigtails, and then snipped one completely off at my shoulder. I'll never forget the expressions on their faces. I put the pigtail in an envelope for donating and walked around with just the one long one the rest of the day until I got home and my mom was able to finish the job and tidy it up.

I didn't realize how truly terrible hair THAT long looks until after I cut it, and now when I see someone with hair that length I kind of shudder. It's not only difficult to take care of, it kind of lends a sort of 'feral girl from the woods' kind of look. Not something most teenagers really want to embody.

I have zero attachment to my hair when I get it cut now. But, I think that one BIG cut kind of ruined me, and I don't really like 'trims' now, I like BIG cuts and major changes. I'll get several trims a year, but I'll mostly grow it out so that once every two years or so I can get 5-6 inches chopped off at once.
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Shyvioletisme
So I have a doppleganger running around out there with a kid

My hair has been all different lengths and basically every color under the sun. I love changing my hair and am not attached to any one length. Hair can always be re-dyed and grow out, so even if I do something to it that I don't love it isn't the end of the world.

WDW: last trip:
Oct/Nov 2005 CBR for Honeymoon
FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67045761@N00/
Shyvioletisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
NEVERENOUGHWDW
Still Missing 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Dance like nobody is watching!
If there was an Olympic event I'm sure I would leave with the "gold" poop medal

Location: Doesn't matter, my mind & body are usually in 2 different places...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip2MyLou View Post

I know someone that gets their haircut once a year, and cries every time. They grew up being told women should have long hair. This person's hair was shoulder blade length & is now just past her shoulders. She got a haircut several days ago & is still pouting about it being "short". She says she told the stylist to trim & put layers in. It looks to me like that is what they did but this person is still complaining that it is too short.

Honestly, you can't even tell unless she mentions it. I didn't notice at first and I see her at least every other day.

FWIW, I have grown up having my hair all different lengths. I hate it on my neck in the summer so if it is long, it is usually in a pony tail anyways. I recently got it cut into a short, stylish cut, and love it.
Not that attached!
Just had a severe cut and color and loving it!

Pea-n-Me - When you don't have the choice to have hair cut/altered that is not the same as illness. I took this as a very lighthearted thread.

What people think of you is none of your business.

Last edited by NEVERENOUGHWDW; 01-22-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added
NEVERENOUGHWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I never thought I was until I lost it in chemo. With everything I have gone through, the only time I have sobbed was when I saw myself bald the first time.

Since my hair has grown back, I take much more care with it than I did before.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

My hair has varied in length, but I've never had it above my shoulders. I like long hair and can't see myself ever getting it cut short. Right now, it's about mid-back length. It's layered in front and I keep it styled, though. I don't like long hair that just hangs there, at least not at my age.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Not emotional about my hair at all. Sometimes I get sick of the style and just shave it all off. My hair grows quick and I have a full head of hair (although salt & pepper on the sides that does drive me crazy).
Old 01-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

I love to get my hair cut. I have an appointment on Saturday and it can't come soon enough!

Getting my hair cut does't bother me. I have had it everywhere from the middle of my back to a short pixie cut. I tend to go back to a basic bob though. I think most of us start to realize what looks best on us, what we can style well, etc. and stick with it.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
Skip2MyLou
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVERENOUGHWDW

Not that attached!
Just had a severe cut and color and loving it!

Pea-n-Me - When you don't have the choice to have hair cut/altered that is not the same as illness. I took this as a very lighthearted thread.
Yes, thank you. I didn't mean to offend those who have lost hair do to illness, genetics, age, or losing hair in general.

I do understand that there is a big difference in losing your hair vs getting it cut.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Confused.

The question was, how attached are you to your hair? Myself and another poster related our experiences in losing it. No need to feel badly about it or that someone was offended. It's just a discussion.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
apirateslifeforme
The Next Mrs. Simon LeBon
On a serious note, I have to agree with the pantyhose and buttfloss
Rare. Bloody rare. Still mooing

I don't think I'm too attached to my hair. I can't do much with it - it's fine and stick straight on top, the rest is thick and curly, and it won't grow beyond shoulder length (I tried...it stayed there for 18 months until I gave up). I sometimes wonder if anything would change if I shaved it off and started over.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #14
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I've gone from fairly long (mid-back) to fairly short twice in my life. It was weird for a couple of days (I kept scraping my back with my hairbrush), but I can't say I found it "traumatic".

Now I keep my hair short...I cut it about every 6 weeks or so. The only trauma is that I swear my hairdresser has someone run by throwing gray hair on my smock because all that gray CAN'T POSSIBLY be coming off my head.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I am very attached to my hair and I am so miserable (when I think about it, not every single second) that it is thinning as I get older. I even have a thinning/bald spot that I try to hide. *

I've always had long hair. It was pretty when I was in my 20's. I know why I like it long. When I was in the sixth grade, I got a Doroty Hamill cut. I HATED IT THAT SHORT!!! I went from really long hair to that. Ugh. I looked so stupid and my face isn't shaped for short hair.

Now, I try to do the best I can to just look normal.

*I've gone to the doctor about my thinning hair and my doctor swears she doesn't see it. I had her run tests for things and nothing came up.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: