Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #31
starienite
Mouseketeer

I used a buxton organizer bag for small things like my camera and water bottles, but a backpack for jackets, sunscreen, extra water, etc.

Devon's MAW PTR Departing February 16th!
The Most Awesome Trip Ever! This is Devon's MAW TR!
Old 09-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #32
threelittlebakers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starienite View Post
My dad is coming along, but he has to pay his own airfare, tickets to the park, etc. They didn't mention that he had to pay for staying at GTKW. I am thinking that the fee GKTW charges is a flat rate and not per person.
I was wondering because my niece would love to go. Her mother died two years ago and her father isn't in the picture. She has post traumatic stress disorder from her mom passing away. She lives with my in laws but they are disable and they wouldnt be able to take her around the parks. She pretty much would have a horrible time with them if they took her. I feel so bad for her but i dont know if i can ask my wish cordinator if she could come. I wouldnt mind paying for her expenses in february but i am afraid to ask them. She would have to be able to stay with us at GKTW and be on the same air flight. Any advise from anyone. I just feel a horrible and i don't know what to do. I don't want to impose on MAW.

http://www.disboards.com/member.php?u=398687

Matt Sr. Alicia Emerald (5)use: Matthew Jr. (4)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #33
sgarrity
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by threelittlebakers View Post
I was wondering because my niece would love to go. Her mother died two years ago and her father isn't in the picture. She has post traumatic stress disorder from her mom passing away. She lives with my in laws but they are disable and they wouldnt be able to take her around the parks. She pretty much would have a horrible time with them if they took her. I feel so bad for her but i dont know if i can ask my wish cordinator if she could come. I wouldnt mind paying for her expenses in february but i am afraid to ask them. She would have to be able to stay with us at GKTW and be on the same air flight. Any advise from anyone. I just feel a horrible and i don't know what to do. I don't want to impose on MAW.
I have heard of others taking family with them. i would ask, what can it hurt?

Our Pretrip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post40707717

http://disbiggive.proboards.com/index.cgi
Old 09-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #34
sgarrity
Mouseketeer

Do any of you know if the schedule changes during Christmas break? Is there anything special that is done on Christmas day at GKTW.

Thanks
Savanna

Our Pretrip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post40707717

http://disbiggive.proboards.com/index.cgi
Old 10-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #35
brookerene
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
Do any of you know if the schedule changes during Christmas break? Is there anything special that is done on Christmas day at GKTW.

Thanks
Savanna
I know they placed easter eggs and baskets for easter.... but not much changed... I would bet they do something special....
Old 10-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #36
brookerene
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threelittlebakers View Post
From what I have read on other posts you would have to pay her way but they could arrange for her to stay at GKTW....
It couldn't hurt to ask... but I'm very sure you would have to pay her way.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #37
threelittlebakers
Mouseketeer

I am probably going to call on Monday to Delaware chapter office to see what i can do.

http://www.disboards.com/member.php?u=398687

Matt Sr. Alicia Emerald (5)use: Matthew Jr. (4)
Old 10-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #38
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2pixies View Post
If your child is celebrating a birthday while staying at GKTW, let them know at front desk. They will arrange that the morning of the kid's birthday, a helium balloon and little surprise package is waiting for them on the porch. Inside will be a colouring book, some crayons, a special card from Mayor Clayton and a special birthday button that they are to wear to breakfast (where they will receive a special breakfast and everyone will sing them 'Happy Birthday!') They will also receive a special note to bring to the Castle of Miracles where they will be able to pick out a special present from a giant gift box.

What a great way to celebrate! Makes them feel really special. Normally, they only do it if the child's actual birthday falls during the trip, but for some reason, our MAW rep made special arrangements that we were to celebrate Brooke's birthday on the trip. She turns four on Monday! Yeah!!
That sounds really cool!! I will be subscribing!!

Kaitlin: Lover of 5 Seconds of Summer, One Direction, Jonas, and Concerts
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6/14, 7/14 DLR: Too Many To Count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13
Old 10-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #39
mom2pixies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katieb4 View Post
Thats so cool! Do they only do this for the Wish kid?? Or for other kids?? My son, daughter (non wish kids) will celebrate bdays as well as my husband during our trip.

Lots of great tips! Thanks!
I'm not certain. I have a feeling it is for any kid who celebrates a birthday. They'll gladly sing happy birthday at breakfast for the parents, but I don't think dads get balloons!
Old 10-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #40
jdmmom
Earning My Ears

About how long does it take to drive from GKTW to the various theme parks?
Old 10-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #41
Owensheart
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmmom View Post
About how long does it take to drive from GKTW to the various theme parks?
I was wondering the same thing. I think I have read it's about 20 min to the Magic Kingdom, 25 min to Universal. I was curious how long it was to the actual gate! So from leaving GKTW... to the monorail or tram.. to the gate? I know Universal has a LONG walk (or so I read). Maybe some past trippers can chime in.

Owen's PTR!!

TRIP REPORT!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #42
Synovial
Mouseketeer

Preston just had his MRI on Monday and we found out what is wrong with his leg hurting so much. His physical therapist broke his leg in the radiated area. They are telling us that it takes twice as long to heal because of radiation, so we are looking at 8-12 months for his broken leg to heal and then another round of physical therapy (we have already had 6 months of physical therapy and have to start over again). He is on crutches now and will be getting a bone stimulator that he has to wear for 6-8 hours a day to speed up the healing of the bone. His doctors are still allowing him to go to Disney on the 28th of this month. He will just have to do it in a wheelchair. We have 25 days until departure!
Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #43
The Lurker
Earning My Ears

Lego Land

Legoland is getting ready to open just south of Orlando in Winter Haven about a 45 min (guessing) from GTHW on the grounds of the old Cypress Gardens. The Orlando Sentinel (www.orlandosentinel.com) has an excellent preview. I don't know if GKTW will be providing discounted or free tickets. You certainly can ask.

the lurker
Old 10-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #44
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Legoland is getting ready to open just south of Orlando in Winter Haven about a 45 min (guessing) from GTHW on the grounds of the old Cypress Gardens. The Orlando Sentinel (www.orlandosentinel.com) has an excellent preview. I don't know if GKTW will be providing discounted or free tickets. You certainly can ask.

the lurker
MapQuest says 40 miles from GKTW to Legoland and 51 minutes. Being local, and having been to Legoland last month, I would say that the 51 minutes is with no other traffic on the road and all traffic lights green when you come to them. I would say that 1¼ hours would be more likely.

Also, I earlier posted information here about some access at Legoland. After I go to the Annual Passholder's first Preview Day next Monday I will post a lot more information. And Sue has told me she will post a link to my thread in the sticky.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! Currently at Everything Pop Merchandise after nine years in Guest Services/Ticket Sales.

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Old 10-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #45
danut
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2pixies View Post
If your child is celebrating a birthday while staying at GKTW, let them know at front desk. They will arrange that the morning of the kid's birthday, a helium balloon and little surprise package is waiting for them on the porch. Inside will be a colouring book, some crayons, a special card from Mayor Clayton and a special birthday button that they are to wear to breakfast (where they will receive a special breakfast and everyone will sing them 'Happy Birthday!') They will also receive a special note to bring to the Castle of Miracles where they will be able to pick out a special present from a giant gift box.

What a great way to celebrate! Makes them feel really special. Normally, they only do it if the child's actual birthday falls during the trip, but for some reason, our MAW rep made special arrangements that we were to celebrate Brooke's birthday on the trip. She turns four on Monday! Yeah!!
That is incredible. Is it for non wish trip kids too? My dd turns 6 while we are there and she would love receiving some special attention!

TRIP DATES 10/9/11 to 10/15/11

Pre-trip Report Brendan's Big Boom MAW Trip to Disney

[
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: