Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #3331
NEmel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kktraylor View Post
Well, we finally made the decision today to pull Ava out of school. She will be home bound for the time being. Hopefully we can get her illness under control where she can go back next year.

Kristy
That stinks, hopefully it will all work our for her
Old 02-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #3332
NEmel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakentysmom View Post
WE HAVE DATES!!! Well…kinda. Our MaW person emailed today and said it will be at the end of April! So we said the 21st and I'm pretty sure that's when it will be!!!
YAY!!! That was super quick!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #3333
Kktraylor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel's momma

Hugs We know how hard it is to be homebound. Hope she's able to return in the fall. Are you homeschooling, or tutoring through school?
We're tutoring through the school, but i think I'll find some type of homeschooling program to supplement. The home bound teacher is just going to keep her up to date with her regular class, so they won't be doing any of her gifted stuff. I need to make sure she's still being challenged.

Kristy
Old 02-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #3334
Kirlinale
Mouseketeer

Smile Dream Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel's momma View Post
Yay

Nicole. My daughter, and Melissa's (NEmel) son Carter both wished for a cruise. Which dates in June? We know another wish kid not on the DIS that will be going in June.

We are going on the June 16th sailing. Kira qualified for a wish years and years ago (she's 11 now) and we were waiting until just the right time to know when making her wish it would be both meaningful and something in her heart she would really want. She lives and breathes Disney (has since her long chemo days as a toddler and carried through all her many ICU and hosptial stays) , We lived in NC during the last 10 years so was able to take quick drives to Disney when we needed a magic boost.. but now with my older being teenagers in HS and Kira's needs - as well as having moved to the Chicago area we can't. Kira was gearing up for a Dr's appointment and saw a segment on the New Fantasy Ship - and said I wish I could be a princess on a boat.. We new then that this was time for her wish.. So it begins.. Since the only boat she had seen was the Fantasy she made her wish for that boat. After talking with MAW we know that our chapter only does the 4/5's and we had no clue about all the cruse stuff . Kira's true wish is to be a princes on a princess boat and that can be met easily on the dream. Our wish granters were wonderful and the process went really quickly once we secured our passports (took about two weeks). At first we were confused about the difference in all the ships - but MAW explained that 'Disney and Cruise' wishes have been packaged in order to provide the best and equal experience to everyone.. We think that is way cool of an explaination.. she said the magic is in what surprises and arrangements (enhancements) the wish granters work ... So we are looking forward to sitting back and enjoying that Magic at work.. So are so thrilled to have this opportunity for her - Our room is assigned, our dates and flights done, our excursions booked and our other arrangements are in the works.

She was born with an inoperable brain tumor on her brainstem along with an unrelated and equally frustrating cortical dysplasia on the other side of her brain which is in the process of being evaluated for surgical intevention. The Dysplasia has caused her to have intractible epilepsy. She's failed all med combos , almost placed twice in medical comas and has had many status seizure events (some seizures lasting weeks before stopping) - and has had 1000's upon 1000's of regular daily seizures - Thankfully, currently she is doing pretty well on her current meds and is enjoying life as much as she can.. We are adding days at the end of the cruise - two days at universal and two at disney , both just to see the new stuff as we have been to both places many times but looking forward to seeing harry potter and the new changes in fantasy land.. but most importantly getting to see her be a princess on a princess boat ...
Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #3335
Jakentysmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEmel View Post
Since we had a couple of snow days this week I was able to get a little planning done. I bought our tickets for a quick trip to Disney the night before we cruise. I also booked our shore excursions and completed our online checkin. We decided on the sea lion meet and auqa adventure at Atlantis in Nassau and renting bikes, tubes, and snorkel equipt at Castaway Cay. Our countdown is down to 42 days!!! With a lot of snow on the ground it can't come fast enough! Now off to do some more resting got a sinus inf that is kicking my buns!
YAY for plans!!!

Jake (wish kid) 10
Tyler 8

Jacob's PTR

Old 02-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #3336
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

Yay for getting your excursions, and other planning done Melissa Hope you feel better

Kirlinale- Sorry Kira has been through so much So glad she's going to be able to be a princess on a princess boat. Angel's not a "typical" teen, she still very much loves all things Disney. We're in IL also, and Angel's wish was the Fantasy too. What excursion did you pick? Our friend going in June is going the week before you are.

Kristy- Sorry they won't cover the gifted material also, hope you're able to keep her challenged

Pretrip Report: Angel's Make a Wish Cruise on the Dream /and extended days at WDW PTR :We have dates 4/13-25
Trip Report: Angel's Make a Wish DREAM Cruise & extended days at wdw: April 13-25, 2013

Previous trips: 2013 Apr. 18-25 2010 May 8-15 2009 Dec. 4-11 2008 Dec. 15-24 2008 Aug. 30-Sept 7
2007 Sept. 1-8 2006 Dec. 9-16 2006 Sept. 26-Oct.3 2005 Sept. 25-Oct.8 2004 Dec. 11-21 All at POP
CRUISE 2013 Apr. 14-18 Disney DREAM
Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #3337
Jakentysmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We're tutoring through the school, but i think I'll find some type of homeschooling program to supplement. The home bound teacher is just going to keep her up to date with her regular class, so they won't be doing any of her gifted stuff. I need to make sure she's still being challenged.

Kristy
Hopefully not having her gifted materials will not make it too easy for her and she can find some challenge in the work! I know a few people here who do the homebound school with the public schools here. Good luck...it will be great for her.

Jake (wish kid) 10
Tyler 8

Jacob's PTR

Old 02-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #3338
LittleEsmom
Mouseketeer

Finally did Emma's PTR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3069552
Hope I did it right

Emma's PTR..Better late than never./?t=3069552
Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #3339
Jakentysmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleEsmom View Post
Finally did Emma's PTR
Hope I did it right
You did it!! YAHOO!!!!

Jake (wish kid) 10
Tyler 8

Jacob's PTR

Old 02-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #3340
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Finally did Emma's PTR
Hope I did it right
Yay Now you need a link in your signature http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=470

Pretrip Report: Angel's Make a Wish Cruise on the Dream /and extended days at WDW PTR :We have dates 4/13-25
Trip Report: Angel's Make a Wish DREAM Cruise & extended days at wdw: April 13-25, 2013

Previous trips: 2013 Apr. 18-25 2010 May 8-15 2009 Dec. 4-11 2008 Dec. 15-24 2008 Aug. 30-Sept 7
2007 Sept. 1-8 2006 Dec. 9-16 2006 Sept. 26-Oct.3 2005 Sept. 25-Oct.8 2004 Dec. 11-21 All at POP
CRUISE 2013 Apr. 14-18 Disney DREAM
Old 02-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #3341
JWCJ
Mouseketeer

It's been a few days - this thread is really starting to move! Nothing new here, which is why I've been quiet. We've got our dates, all the ADRs and such that I can think of are made, so I think we're in a holding pattern until next month. Our wish grantor said that she usually creates a fun countdown thing for the kids for the last month, so we'll be hearing from her then. About the only thing for me to do is read on here and drool over pictures in the dining thread....

Ja's birthday is in a couple of weeks, and she's asked to have a Muppet birthday. I can't believe how big my girls are getting. We've been bad parents and have been torturing C by telling her that she's such a cute 5 year old that we decided that we would just keep her 5 forever.... My little geek keeps freaking out because she has to be 6 to go to Grade 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakentysmom View Post
WE HAVE DATES!!! Well…kinda. Our MaW person emailed today and said it will be at the end of April! So we said the 21st and I'm pretty sure that's when it will be!!!
I hope we'll get a chance to say hello on the 27th!!! Hurray hurray hurray for dates!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taimie View Post
We are new to this site, but I love it!!! We are getting so much great information for Alexa's upcoming trip at the end of April 23-29. We are looking at getting shirts made for all 6 of us, we figured 4 designs, then we can wash and re wear them. What are some great shirt ideas you all have come up with for your trips? Alexa is our wish child and she is 10, we also have a 12 yr old daughter and a 8 & 6 yr old sons.
I wish I could figure out how to start a thread, but have not had luck there yet. lol I am not the greatest on the computer. lol
You are all the best!!
Taimie
We'll be there from April 27 - May 4! Hi!

Quote:
Well, we finally made the decision today to pull Ava out of school. She will be home bound for the time being. Hopefully we can get her illness under control where she can go back next year.

Kristy
That must have been a very hard decision. I've found that it can be easier to introduce gifted/more challenging ideas at home, though, so hopefully this could be a blessing in disguise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M07 View Post
Maddie officially made her wish last night! She gave her "princess crowns" to her Wish Granters and they wore them the whole time. She also wore her Tinkerbell costume "so they'll know that I'm a fairy wish kid." It went really well! Her official wish was to "go to Disney World and be in a parade on Main Street and ride in a car or float." They told us that Disney can definitely happen, but that we would need to contact Disney World ourselves to see about the parade. I can't imagine calling Disney and saying "Hi! My 5 y/o daughter has a wish to be in a parade on Main Street. Can you make that happen?" Who would I even call?!? Her second wish was for a dollhouse "so I don't have to share it with anyone at school." She was crazy excited the whole time, running through the living room with uncontrolled energy. It was pretty great. Due to her heat intolerance and metabolic issues, we are hoping to go somewhere between the end of April and end of May.

Tonight, I will try to link my PTR and put some pictures up on it. Thanks for following our journey!
Aw, Maddie sounds like quite the princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom04 View Post
Hi,

Just wanted to post since we just arrived home on Saturday from our stay at GKTW. I'll share a few things that I wish I would have known before going.

1. The Mickey greet on Thursday morning was spectacular. It was as though we had him completely to ourselves and our own private photo shoot. The volunteers do a wonderful job of helping you pose for pics with Mickey. He stooped on the floor and played with my daughter that is unable to walk. And GKTW takes pics and gives the CD to you at the end of your stay. It is so worth it to try to make that.

2. Waffles every morning in the Gingerbread House. Best ever!

3. Sea World. WE ended up spending 10 hours there and could have used another day. It was probably our best day. Take the time to do the dolphin feeding. All 4 kids, age 13, 10, 8 and 3 loved it. (And mom and dad were pretty awestruck with those cute dolphins, too.)

4. GAC card at disney. It's kind of a shame. 12 years ago we took a wish trip with my older son. We felt like royalty. The CMs would see us coming and roll out the red carpet. This time, not so much. We almost always had to show them the card and I always felt we were being looked at suspiciously. (Apparently wish families were selling their GACs and there was lots of abuse, so I think Disney has to watch closer. Sad, but understandable.) Don't be afraid to show it, even at character meets, we were never denied.

5. Make time to spend at GKTW. All of my kids could have stayed there at least two full days. Amberville, the kiddie spa, carousel... they loved it all. As my very wise 13 year old told me, "Mom, we can always go back to disney, but we can never come back to GKTW."

6. Take the time to get to know the volunteers. They are beautiful souls.

I'd be happy to answer any questions. Having serious Disney/Wish trip planning withdrawals and love to talk about our awesome week.
Thanks for these tips and reminders. Glad you had a good time!!!

Ja's Make A Wish PTR

MAW TR!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #3342
LittleEsmom
Mouseketeer

Emma has been sick today. She woke up at 3:45 this morning running a fever. She hasn't moved from the couch all day Hate it when she feels bad.

On a lighter note....I went to a baby shower today and my nephew was there for his first and last one he said He wanted to leave after the finger foods He cracked me up! Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Emma's PTR..Better late than never./?t=3069552
Old 02-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #3343
Kktraylor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleEsmom
Emma has been sick today. She woke up at 3:45 this morning running a fever. She hasn't moved from the couch all day Hate it when she feels bad.

On a lighter note....I went to a baby shower today and my nephew was there for his first and last one he said He wanted to leave after the finger foods He cracked me up! Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
Sorry she's feeling so bad. It's so hard to see our babies sick. I don't think we'll ever get used to it.

Kristy
Old 02-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #3344
Kirlinale
Mouseketeer

excursion

Kirlinale- Sorry Kira has been through so much So glad she's going to be able to be a princess on a princess boat. Angel's not a "typical" teen, she still very much loves all things Disney. We're in IL also, and Angel's wish was the Fantasy too. What excursion did you pick? Our friend going in June is going the week before you are.
Kira only ever saw the Fantasy on TV - never even understood meaning of a cruise before (but does understand Disney- she is developmentally delayed but after seeing the Ship on TV and then we decided to do the wish process my kids researched it and what drew her to the Fantasy was the BBB and a few other things (Animated placemats etc..) .. It doesn't make a lick of difference to us - we are so thrilled just for the opportunity .. the only upside to the Fantasy was the longer time - this would benefit her since she has adjustment issues and it would allow her to fully enjoy her time - but I think we have a good plan in place - and a follow up few days doing the Parks (Universal and Disney) that she will manage ok on meds and the excitment .

My older kids really wanted the Atlantis Dolphin Swim but when we looked at what was best for ALL of us and Kira's needs especially we opted to not go to Atlantis and instead go to Blue Lagoon Dolphin experience. This required less stress and we booked the early morning (less hot) time. This allows us to come back to the ship Mid/late afternoon and get to enjoy some time doing things on it. I think that would work out best for her and my kids seem to think so too...

For Castaway - We booked the Catamaran Snorkle for my hubby and older kids (I'm going to enjoy some beach time with Kira) and the last time slot of the day we picked the Sting Ray for me and the older kids before we have to get back on the ship...

On Ship day I booked the Palo Brunch for a tiny bit of adult time as for everything else we are going to sit back and just let the magic happen how ever it plays out - She is over the top exicted and we are ever so grateful for anything MAW provides for her - With the economy the way it is and how hard we have been hit lately with her health issues we are feeling so blessed to see her have this gift in her life...

After we disembark we are heading to Universal Resort onsite hotel through Sunday (flying back Sunday night) - since we've done both Disney (numerous times) and Universal on past trips we are just going to hop back and forth for a few days just doing the things we love and seeing the new stuff with hopper passes to both - Everything has gotten so expensive we managed to figure out a good plan using discounts and with deal at Universal .. Disney had nothing for 5 people that would even come close to affordable - even with two rooms - plus my big kids are looking forward to the early entry to WWOHP and Kira an early morning breakfast wtih SpongeBob...
Old 02-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #3345
Jakentysmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Aw man! Sorry she is so sick. That is never good. Every single day I stress if Jacob is getting sick. It is such a big deal if he gets sick and I spend my life trying to avoid that!!

So funny about your nephew!! How old is he?

Ive been having an ok weekend so far. I went to a funeral for my sweet cousins little baby. But other than that its been ok. how was yours?

Jake (wish kid) 10
Tyler 8

Jacob's PTR

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: