Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #3016
krystle
Earning My Ears

My special wish kid and trip report

We just found out that we get to go on February 17th. My son Jessie James, wish kid, has really really bad uncontrolled epilepsy and has a mass on his brain stem. He takes more depokate than my adult client and has been airlifted 3 times. We are waiting for the date that we have his surprise party; he don't know yet so it is really hard to keep it from him.
So anyway have any advise on how to plan when we are leaving in 3 weeks; and we are using a shuttle because we didn't have the money to get insurance so any advise on how to work that? And should we bring any money with us? Or anything that a 5, Jessie james; and my other son 2 should see? I really don't know how this thread works but could use any advise.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #3017
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

Hi Krystle Sorry that Jessie James, and your family, has been through so much. So happy that he is getting his wish. Our wish trip is a cruise, so I don't know enough about GKTW to help with your questions, but there are lots of helpful people on this thread.

Pretrip Report: Angel's Make a Wish Cruise on the Dream /and extended days at WDW PTR :We have dates 4/13-25
Trip Report: Angel's Make a Wish DREAM Cruise & extended days at wdw: April 13-25, 2013

Previous trips: 2013 Apr. 18-25 2010 May 8-15 2009 Dec. 4-11 2008 Dec. 15-24 2008 Aug. 30-Sept 7
2007 Sept. 1-8 2006 Dec. 9-16 2006 Sept. 26-Oct.3 2005 Sept. 25-Oct.8 2004 Dec. 11-21 All at POP
CRUISE 2013 Apr. 14-18 Disney DREAM
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #3018
newdrama12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneplustwins
We are extending our trip by two days. Anyone done this and if so where did you stay, etc,
My friends did. They stayed on Disney property at Coronado Springs.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #3019
kalimom6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystle View Post
We just found out that we get to go on February 17th. My son Jessie James, wish kid, has really really bad uncontrolled epilepsy and has a mass on his brain stem. He takes more depokate than my adult client and has been airlifted 3 times. We are waiting for the date that we have his surprise party; he don't know yet so it is really hard to keep it from him.
So anyway have any advise on how to plan when we are leaving in 3 weeks; and we are using a shuttle because we didn't have the money to get insurance so any advise on how to work that? And should we bring any money with us? Or anything that a 5, Jessie james; and my other son 2 should see? I really don't know how this thread works but could use any advise.
Has your wish foundation told you if they will be giving any spending money? Ours told us right away that the only thing out of our pocket will be my husband missing work, which he got paid vacation so it was fine. But I have read others on this thread say they weren't given any money. I have no idea who paid for our rental and insurance, our wish foundation or GKTW. The receipt said GKTW.
My suggestion is to call/email GKTW and ask them your questions. They are always happy to assist. If you stay at GKTW all day everyday you won't need extra money. But of course, you probably won't be, so you may need money for food/drinks in the parks.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #3020
krystle
Earning My Ears

make a wish trip

No they haven't said anything should I ask them? N I noticed that it says to do a pretrip report and something to we do that on here? N thanks everyone!
Old 01-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #3021
NEmel
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Welcome Krystle!! So sorry that your son Jessie James has been through so much, so glad is gets a wish! Can't wait to hear more about your planning. Instructions on making a PTR are on page 2 of this thread, has some great information!!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #3022
kalimom6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
No they haven't said anything should I ask them? N I noticed that it says to do a pretrip report and something to we do that on here? N thanks everyone!
Yes, do ask your wish foundation. I was told to ask whatever I needed whenever I had a question. It would take a few days, a week, sometimes, before we got an answer but we also had more time than you do.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #3023
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEmel View Post
Instructions on making a PTR are on page 2 of this thread, has some great information!!
Post 2, page 1

Pretrip Report: Angel's Make a Wish Cruise on the Dream /and extended days at WDW PTR :We have dates 4/13-25
Trip Report: Angel's Make a Wish DREAM Cruise & extended days at wdw: April 13-25, 2013

Previous trips: 2013 Apr. 18-25 2010 May 8-15 2009 Dec. 4-11 2008 Dec. 15-24 2008 Aug. 30-Sept 7
2007 Sept. 1-8 2006 Dec. 9-16 2006 Sept. 26-Oct.3 2005 Sept. 25-Oct.8 2004 Dec. 11-21 All at POP
Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #3024
NEmel
Mouseketeer

I just had to share a picture of my project for the cruise.

These are pillow cases for the characters to sign. On the first day we can drop these off at the desk and they will return them on the last day with all their signatures!!
I posted a couple other pics on Carter's PTR!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #3025
krystle
Earning My Ears

Jessie James make a wish trip the schedule

So, here is the schedule for the with trip. I'm really not for sure the must for my 5 year old and 2 years old. If anyone has any suggestions for the have to dos I would be very thankful.
Monday: Magical kingdom a whole day
Tuesday: Epcot
Wednesday: Animal Kingdom and Disney Hollywood studios
Thursday: Sea world we are going to use this day to take it easy and make sure Jessie James aint no overwhelmed dr is very worried about him having seizures with being overwhelmed and after we leave sea world we are going to explore the gtktw resort
Friday: universal studios
Saturday: universal studios
I'm really not sure what they would like to go but the wish coordinator said that we can't tell James yet until his surprise party which I think is the day before. James and his brother are so deserving of this just like so many kids on here. So, any on the must dos for a 2 year old would be welcome. Thanks everyone for all the advise; I hope yalls kids are doing ok and getting better.

Krystle (mom) 26; Jessie (dad) 30; Jessie James (wish kid) 5; Joshua special brother 2
Old 01-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #3026
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

Krystal - A lot of it depends on your boys, and what they enjoy. Do they like the characters, and want to meet them? Is dark a problem, because even some of the kid oriented rides are rather dark. Our first trip to wdw was when Angel was 7, so we don't have experience with what is best your younger kids, and we've never been to Universal or Sea World. Ride Dumbo of course, and Pooh. Do you know about the activities planned at GKTW? We're new to MAW, but I don't see how the wish granter can keep you from telling him until the party, unless you want it that way.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #3027
krystle
Earning My Ears

Hey we ain't suppose to tell him BC they usually have a reaveal party and make it more special for him. There are a ton of stuff to do at gtktw. There is horse back riding kids day out, party's, playground that is a candyland game and pools.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:50 AM   #3028
krystle
Earning My Ears

Have u checked out the website? If not go to gtktw.org/families n it will have everything u need or want to know. When are yall going.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #3029
kalimom6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So, here is the schedule for the with trip. I'm really not for sure the must for my 5 year old and 2 years old. If anyone has any suggestions for the have to dos I would be very thankful.
Monday: Magical kingdom a whole day
Tuesday: Epcot
Wednesday: Animal Kingdom and Disney Hollywood studios
Thursday: Sea world we are going to use this day to take it easy and make sure Jessie James aint no overwhelmed dr is very worried about him having seizures with being overwhelmed and after we leave sea world we are going to explore the gtktw resort
Friday: universal studios
Saturday: universal studios
When I first read this, I thought, wow, that is quite the schedule. But you know your family and if they can handle then do it. My advice is to go with the flow as you don't want an overwhelmed kid. My daughters wish was Sea World, we did that on Day 2, after that, she asked everyday if we were going home. She needs a schedule. The kids always asked when we were going back to GKTW. We could have stayed there all day everyday! I think Sea World was our best day
Edited to add: I do not know much about Epcot, but I hear that it's best for older children?? Maybe not but the 2 year old may not enjoy it if that is the case.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #3030
Ana~n~Joseph
I cried like a baby when my 12 month old son met Mickey for the first time

Hey guys! Holden made his wish yesterday!!!! Although we were pretty sure he was going to wish for Disney World/Mickey Mouse he said "Mickey Mouse Boat" when they asked. They didn't allow any input from the parents what-so-ever and they also didn't ask for a second or third choice just in case. They also didn't ask for specific dates, just the preferred month of travel. The volunteers made mention that Disney is currently sailing out of Galveston however the preferred month of travel is June or July (school summer break for the oldest two) and Disney won't be sailing out of Galveston during those months. We'll see how it goes. The family was told they need to get their passports asap as they won't reserve anything without passports in hand.

My BFF should be joining the DIS soon to start her PT report.

Thanks to everyone who has helped answering questions and such. I'm sure we will have many more to come.

Dec ‘95 – ASMusic; Dec ‘96 – ASMusic; Dec ‘97 – offsite; Dec ‘98 – ASMusic; Dec ‘99 ASMovies ; Aug ‘02 – ASMusic ; Jan ‘06 – CBR (Honeymoon); Sept ‘06 – Pop; Nov ‘06 – ASMusic; March ‘07 – POR; Sep ‘07 – Pop; Sept '07 - DLP; Feb ‘08 – Pop; Sept ‘08 – CSR; Jan ‘09 – Pop; Jan’ 09 – CR Club; March ‘10 – Boardwalk; Sept ‘10 – CSR; May ‘11 – CR; Sept '11 - AKL; Dec '11 - AKL Club; Dec '11 - Christmas Cruise - Disney Dream; September 2012 - AKL w/ BFF - November 2012 - Pop w/ DS + Mom & Disney Dream; April 2013 Disney Magic - Coming Up: October 2013 - AKL-Kidani - ToT 10 miler; Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge; Feb 2014 - Disney Dream & AKL/BWV; Aug 2014 - Disney Magic Med; Sept 2014 - BLT, AKL & Disney Dream w/ BFF; Jan 2015 - Pop Century; October 2015 - Wine & Dine Half; Nov 2015 - Disney Wonder;
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: