Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #2851
Lilfoot93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberGreenawalt View Post
Belated Christmas present for our family! I was literally in the middle of updating Savannah's PTR when Kid's Wish Network called to let us know that they would be granting Savannah's wish. The last time I posted was when we got the news that Make A Wish Foundation was denying Savannah a wish. I had resigned myself to doing our best to making a special trip for her to Disney on our own and so I had put together a Christmas morning surprise reveal of our trip. I was creating a post with photos when Kid's Network called. To see the surprise photos and read the news please visit our PTR here...

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2956109&page=8

Merry Christmas All!!!
I am so happy to hear that Savannah is getting her wish!!

To everyone going on their trips in the next week or so I hope you have a magical time and can't wait to hear all about it!!

Star Wars Weekend dates were FINALLY announced today!! It is time for us to be able to pick our dates now! I can't believe it is really happening... We have been waiting since last May and now we will soon have dates! We are SO excited! Especially with the past couple of months Kara having surgery and another in June and Trev's cardiologist appointment not going as we had hoped. He will be going in for a stress test and cardiac MRI late next month. Those tests will determine if he gets a new pulmonary valve and conduit this year or not. This wish trip could not have come at a better time!

Jackie

TR: Trev's Star Wars MAW trip

Trevor DS 9 (wish kiddo) Allie DD 6 Kara DD 6
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #2852
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

Yay Jackie!

Pretrip Report: Angel's Make a Wish Cruise on the Dream /and extended days at WDW PTR :We have dates 4/13-25
Trip Report: Angel's Make a Wish DREAM Cruise & extended days at wdw: April 13-25, 2013

Previous trips: 2013 Apr. 18-25 2010 May 8-15 2009 Dec. 4-11 2008 Dec. 15-24 2008 Aug. 30-Sept 7
2007 Sept. 1-8 2006 Dec. 9-16 2006 Sept. 26-Oct.3 2005 Sept. 25-Oct.8 2004 Dec. 11-21 All at POP
CRUISE 2013 Apr. 14-18 Disney DREAM
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #2853
Oneplustwins
Mouseketeer

My first official post...

Hi! First, thanks so much for this great place! I have been lurking for a bit and have learned so much already! My 7 year old son Jack was granted his MAW to Disney in Florida, we got the official word right before Christmas, and I am still in awe! We feel so blessed! Our son has severe CP and we were told when he was born he would never walk, run, or talk. He does all 3 now, although he still struggles. He was on apnea monitor the first part of his life and still needs therapy four days a week. I feel like this is such a celebration for how hard he has, and continues to work. We are looking at oing sometime in April as crowds are not great for him, but don't want to go when too humid due to his asthma. He also has autism, but is a super social guy! He is rigid about rules and routine, but loves people. He specifically loves Pooh and we are hoping to do a meal with Pooh.
I do have a few questions
1. I see some of you extended your trip. Do you just pay for your own hotel and renting the car those days? Does MAW still pay for return air fare?
2. Super excited about this trip, but reading everything I am already stressing how to do it all in a week. He fatigues easily and I don't want to push him, but I don't want to miss anything either in this awesome blessing. I am a planner by nature and already driving my hubby nuts! Lol!

Thanks so much or your help, so happy to be here!
Blessings,
Victoria
Old 12-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #2854
Lilfoot93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneplustwins View Post
Hi! First, thanks so much for this great place! I have been lurking for a bit and have learned so much already! My 7 year old son Jack was granted his MAW to Disney in Florida, we got the official word right before Christmas, and I am still in awe! We feel so blessed! Our son has severe CP and we were told when he was born he would never walk, run, or talk. He does all 3 now, although he still struggles. He was on apnea monitor the first part of his life and still needs therapy four days a week. I feel like this is such a celebration for how hard he has, and continues to work. We are looking at oing sometime in April as crowds are not great for him, but don't want to go when too humid due to his asthma. He also has autism, but is a super social guy! He is rigid about rules and routine, but loves people. He specifically loves Pooh and we are hoping to do a meal with Pooh.
1. I see some of you extended your trip. Do you just pay for your own hotel and renting the car those days? Does MAW still pay for return air fare?
2. Super excited about this trip, but reading everything I am already stressing how to do it all in a week. He fatigues easily and I don't want to push him, but I don't want to miss anything either in this awesome blessing. I am a planner by nature and already driving my hubby nuts! Lol!

Blessings,
Victoria
Glad to hear that Jack gets a wish and that he has proved his doctors wrong! My wish kid Trevor, is 7 also. We plan to go in the May/June time frame as my son wants to do Star Wars Weekend. As far as extending some chapters allow you to do that and some don't. So I would check with your chapter first... I had thoughts about extending and was hoping I could until I found out that our chapter is one that does not let you extend.

I can't wait to hear all about your planning and trip!

Jackie

Old 12-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #2855
NEmel
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Blessings,
Victoria
Welcome Victoria! So glad that Jack is doing so good and that he gets his wish!! My wish kiddo is also 7. Our trip will probably be in April as well, but Carter has picked a cruise. I am a big planner as well, so this has all been a little hard for me not having any control. Can't wait to hear more about Jack's wish!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #2856
NEmel
Mouseketeer

Jackie~

YEA!!!!!!! Finally you can start planning, how exciting let the fun begin!!!!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #2857
Cassondra
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Blessings,
Victoria
Welcome! I would check with your local chapter about extending. Like everyone else has said it does vary. Our trip is in about a week now and we are doing a cruise and they allowed us to extend so we are adding on days at disney world. We are responsible for all costs outside of the cruise. If there would have been a difference in air fare based on when we should have returned and when we will, due to the extra days, we would have been responsible for the difference in cost. I hope that helps. Good luck planning (I'm driving everyone nuts around here too )

Shawn-Brooklyn's MAW Disney Cruise Jan 2013 pre trip

Old 12-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #2858
Oneplustwins
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am glad I am not the only one having a hard time not trying to control every thing. . My husband just doesn't get it! Jack has asked to have some special interaction with the dolphins at Sea World and eat with Pooh. I worry how do you make time or everything and still enjoy the great stuff at GTKW? Or am I just over thinking this? Ha! Probably! Jack has a twin brother and we also have a daughter who is 11. They are very excited for too! Honestly I can still believe we are going! I saw in some of the posts that some have gone to LegoLand, Legos are both of my twins favorite thing to play with. Do you suggest this is a good place to go? We want to go to MK, Epcot, LegoLand, one day at the beach (important to jack, our kids have not seen the ocean), sea world and Animal Kingdom ( sorry still learning the abbreviations). So that is 6 things and we wanted at least one day to be at GTKW. Are any of those things partial day trips? See, I am getting stressed just thinking of this! Lol! Well thanks again for welcoming me and I look forward to getting to know everyone! So great to share this journey with you all!
Old 12-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #2859
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Here is a thread in this forum about Legoland

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Old 12-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #2860
sarsop524
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcome! I am glad I am not the only one having a hard time not trying to control every thing. . My husband just doesn't get it! Jack has asked to have some special interaction with the dolphins at Sea World and eat with Pooh. I worry how do you make time or everything and still enjoy the great stuff at GTKW? Or am I just over thinking this? Ha! Probably! Jack has a twin brother and we also have a daughter who is 11. They are very excited for too! Honestly I can still believe we are going! I saw in some of the posts that some have gone to LegoLand, Legos are both of my twins favorite thing to play with. Do you suggest this is a good place to go? We want to go to MK, Epcot, LegoLand, one day at the beach (important to jack, our kids have not seen the ocean), sea world and Animal Kingdom ( sorry still learning the abbreviations). So that is 6 things and we wanted at least one day to be at GTKW. Are any of those things partial day trips? See, I am getting stressed just thinking of this! Lol! Well thanks again for welcoming me and I look forward to getting to know everyone! So great to share this journey with you all!

My daughter just had her wish trip in November. With your wish button, your family gets food to feed the stingrays, dolphins, and sea lions at Sea World. One of the trainers came over to us and had a dolphin come up on the side where we were so my girls could pet it. SHe had the dolphin make funny noises and just let us talk to it and pet it for about ten minutes. It was awesome! Happy planning, you will love the trip!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....sarahs+maw+ptr

Old 12-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #2861
Nevada Jen
Mouseketeer

Welcome Victoria! My advice for you is to read the Legoland thread noted above. We have found Legoland to be extremely non disabled friendly and the rides generally not appropriate for anyone other than able bodied normal sized adults. Personally, I wouldn't waste a day of a Wish Trip on it. Congrats on the trip!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #2862
nuts4wdw
Have a disney day!!!

Been a while...

It has been a while since I posted we had a bad bout of holiday illness that plagued our whole house along with the Christmas craze! But things are good! I, too, am having a hard time not being able to plan. I am driving myself crazy with where to stay after our wish trip as we are allowed to extend. I would like to make ressies, but.... Anyway, all my boys are getting excited to go and make this a phenomenal trip for Prescott. I am also excited to see that Star Wars weekend coincides with the dates that we gave MAW (hoping we get our requested dates). I am going back and forth on whether we should do universal/IOA for one day or Legoland. We are huge Disney fans, so Universal has never peaked our interest. However, I don't care if I go to a park that has hokey fish, large singing toucans, or dancing pigs, as long as Prescott loves it that is all that matters. LOL So, exciting to see upcoming trips and happy posters. Hugs and prayers to all!

Prescott's Make a Wish pre-trip!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #2863
Lilfoot93
DIS Veteran

For those of you who have had extra people come with you were they able to stay at GKTW with you in your villa? We would love for my Dad to come with us. He has no problem paying for airfare, tickets and food himself. He has been with us through all of Trev's hospital stays and surgeries. Plus it would be nice to have an extra set of hands too

I am SO excited that we can now pick dates and actually start planning! I tried to start planning earlier but it just seemed so far away and with no SWW dates announced it was hard to plan. Now to figure out what days work without missing Trev's field trips and the girls preschool graduation. School isn't out until the middle of June so no matter when we go Trev will be missing school.

Jackie

Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #2864
angel's momma
DIS Veteran

Victoria. Sorry Jack, and your family, has been through so much. Glad he is getting his wish. The meals with Pooh at Crystal Palace are great, I hope it works out for you. Add me to the list of planners. Angel's wish is for a cruise though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts4wdw View Post
However, I don't care if I go to a park that has hokey fish, large singing toucans, or dancing pigs, as long as Prescott loves it that is all that matters.

Pretrip Report: Angel's Make a Wish Cruise on the Dream /and extended days at WDW PTR :We have dates 4/13-25
Trip Report: Angel's Make a Wish DREAM Cruise & extended days at wdw: April 13-25, 2013

Previous trips: 2013 Apr. 18-25 2010 May 8-15 2009 Dec. 4-11 2008 Dec. 15-24 2008 Aug. 30-Sept 7
2007 Sept. 1-8 2006 Dec. 9-16 2006 Sept. 26-Oct.3 2005 Sept. 25-Oct.8 2004 Dec. 11-21 All at POP
CRUISE 2013 Apr. 14-18 Disney DREAM

Last edited by angel's momma; 12-30-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #2865
Oneplustwins
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone! One other question, everything I have read in books and a lot hear say to get to the parks at opening. We are not an early morning family....and jack fatigues a lot just in general so worried about pushing him. I was thinking maybe when we go to MK get there early, but the others not? How late is breakfast served at GTWT?
Also we are looking at April to go, no official dates yet. We live in MN so be nice to go while still cold hear. Lol! But heard October is less busy. Is this true?
Lastly, sounds like we are better using wheelchairs there then bringing Jack's wheelchair from home?
I am sooooooooo excited! If you can't tell!
Nervous about His health and praying we are all healthy!
Thanks everyone!
Victoria
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: