Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #2806
Lilfoot93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurserynurse View Post
Hi! I'm Holly. I'm new to both this thread and the DISboards, so bear with me. I'm mom to Austin (5) & Evan (3), and wife to Dan. Austin was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia on 1/20/10 and is scheduled to finish treatment on 3/26/13. Woo hoo! He has been saying for some time now that he wants to "go to the castle and see the fireworks." Every time a Disney movie comes on and they show the castle in the beginning he says he wants to go there. When we were referred to Make-A-Wish and they found out what he wanted, we made the (hard) decision to wait until he went off-treatment to go. He has been pretty dependant on IVIg (antibodies) to stay healthy and not have constant fevers.

Thanks in advance! I have enjoyed just dipping my toes in this thread, and hope to learn a lot before our trip!

Holly
www.caringbridge.org/visit/austindaniel

Jackie

TR: Trev's Star Wars MAW trip

Trevor DS 7 (wish kiddo) Allie DD 4 Kara DD 4
Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #2807
NEmel
Mouseketeer

WeLCoMe Holly!! So sorry to hear about Austin (I have an Austyn too!) Glad his treatment will be done in a few months and that he was granter a MAW!

Our wish granter brought out our MAW shirts Sunday!! Our chapter has a whole rainbow of colors! Bryans is bright yellow with black printing, mine is bright orange with white, Austyn's is red with black and Carter's is bright teal blue with white. We should look very colorful and stand out! I will have to take a pic of them and post.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #2808
Nevada Jen
Mouseketeer

I am so excited to get our MAW t-shirts! We really have not had much communication from our Wish grantors. I hope they don't forget us! We got our "Welcome Package" in the mail from GKTW yesterday. It was really just a brochere. But it has our checkin date on it so I am assuming it is correct! 15 more days till we leave! I really need to get sewing if I am going to have even half of my t-shirts I planned finished!

DD fell asleep in the car on the way to school today. And I am somewhat freaked out over it. I am so incredibly worried something is going to happen to her before the trip. Which I guess is a step in the right direction because I haven't worried that this would be her last trip ever (yes, I cannot even type the "D" word) in at least 2 weeks. Of course, I am now. Hmmm. . . perhaps I should add "Get anxiety meds" to my to do list?
Old 12-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #2809
2012bella13
Mouseketeer

New Here

when we were at GKTW last yr, I also found out that a few people took an extra week, of course they did not stay at the village, but they took advantage of the free tickets. They went to places like Gatorland, Sea World, Bush Gardens, Legoland & saved the Disney & Universal tickets for the second week.

We are planning to go to Disney World & to visit the village when we go in Feb. I have talked to GKTW & they said that it would be okay, we just need to go to the office & get a visitors badge. I am planning on buying the GKTW Alumni t-shirts. I wore out our MAW t-shirts.

LAST YEARS TRIP REPORT

We arrived on a Sunday, /dh&dd fished at the pond & we stayed at the village, Monday morning we went to MK, big mistake, worse day to go, dd had a melt down, to hot 96 degrees, after 3hrs was back at the village, did not go back to the parks, Tuesday went to Gatorland, Wed. went to Hollywood Studio's, DD loved it, was not packed, Thursday went to Sea World, back in time for GKTW Christmas Parade & Santa, Friday went to Animal Kingdom. My daughter loved the the Meet & Greets, & parades. We spent most of our time at the village because of the heat, she loved the pool.

I am taking her back in Feb., I am planning a celebration of good health( she is in remission) & her 5th birthday.

To all of you that have not made that WISH TRIP yet, MAY YOU HAVE A SAFE TRIP & GOD BE WITH YOU! GKTW WILL TOUCH YOUR HEART IN SO MANY WAYS!
MAKE A WISH TRIP MAY 2011
Old 12-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #2810
lakinbum93
Earning My Ears

Finally have time to finish up the rest of our trip report....
So that Friday Nov 30, we did the Mauiva Air Tour and it was perfect! Kaston got to pilot the plane over Epcot, Universal, etc. and it was awesome! We then headed to Epcot. As I was saying in my earlier post, it was mine and my husbands fav park as it is geared towards adults, although our kids LOVED Mission Space! Saw the Candlelight Processional with Whoopie Goldburg. Loved all the foods and drinks and music and shopping (although we only bought a blanket). The Epcot fireworks were the very best of all parks, IMO.
Best ride at Epcot: Mission Space
Most magical: fireworks show
Tip: Save money on food by buying 1 thing from each country and sharing it. Although you may only get 1 or 2 bites, you'll be full and have had tried at least 1 thing you've never had before!
Sat Dec 1: Magic Kingdom
Breakfast at GKTW
It is amazing. The nostalgia is amazing (although the fam did not like the Tiki Hut too much!) It was SUPER packed as they were filming the Christmas Day parade and they did not have the regular scheduled parades that day (super bummed) except the electric light parade.
Highlight: Space Mountain and fireworks
Tip: Utilize the train. It's a huge place and the train makes stops around the park.

Sunday Dec 2: breakfast at GKTW, checked out, had ice cream one last time, went to House of Hope, so sad to leave We then headed to Sea World!
We got to feed the dolphins and they sat us front and center at the Shamu Christmas show. We were not just splashed, but soaked! It was the end of the night so it was OK. Also, don't forget the Polar Express. That was fun. Kaston finally got up enough nerve to try a roller coaster and we ended up riding both coasters twice because he loved it so much!
Highlight: Shamu Show
Tip: if you do not want to get wet, politely ask the greeter to sit you somewhere else but still close.

After Sea World we didn't have a plan so we just winged it the rest of the week (we extended). We decided to drive to Cocoa Beach that night and wake up to the sun rise over the Atlantic. My family had never seen the ocean so it was a magical time for them! We swam and relaxed and collected sea shells. Just what we needed.
Tip: Stay at the La Quinta by the Pier...it was awesome and only $100 night, ocean front, hot breakfast included, heated pool.
Tip: watch out for jellies!
Tues Dec 4: Went to Kennedy Space Center (we asked for tickets before we left). We only had about 3 hours so we didn't get to see everything. Was pretty great though.
Highlight: the bus tour
Tip: allow more than 3 hours!
The reason we only had 3 hours is we were to be back in Orlando by 2:00 to meet up with professional wakeboarder Shaun Murray AT HIS HOUSE!!! Shaun Murray is to wakeboarding like Shaun White is to snowboarding. And he invited us to his house and Kaston boarded with him behind his personal boat AT HIS HOUSE!! It was an amazing experience for him as well as us!
After about 3 hours hanging with Shaun and his family, we headed to Clearwater Beach! We stayed there Tues and Wed night and got to see the sun set on the Gulf! While on our way there, we discovered Clearwater Marine Aquarium, home of Winter the Dolphin and the place where they filmed the movie Dolphin Tale! What an awesome treat it was for us! Although we had to pay for tickets for once, it was well worth the drive and the money!
Highlight of Clearwater: the seafood! Frenchy's is the best!
Tip: They have awesome street performers and vendors every night by the pier. The Gulf is calmer than the Atlantic so the kids loved snorkeling for sea shells! WalGreens has great souveniers!
Thursday we drove back to Orlando, hit a couple of outlet stores (13 y.o. request) and checked in to Disney's All Star Music Resort. It was AMAZING!!! Nobody does it like Disney guys! This was the cheapest Disney hotel we could find and it was awesome! The kids swam a bit then we headed to Downtown Disney for dinner. It is an amazing place and I so wish we would have gotten there earlier in the day. We could have spent all day there.
Highlight: the World's Largest Disney Store (although it was complete madness!!)
Tip: If you have older kids that want to Disney Quest, give yourself plenty of time. We didn't understand what it really was and waited too long to check it out. Do your research.
Fri: checked out and headed home!

What an amazing trip we had...once in a lifetime!

Tips I've learned since being home...
it's OK if you didn't get to do everything-it gives you the opportunity to have an excuse to go back!
Photopass: UTILIZE IT!! Have a picture made by everyone you see with a camera, when you see them because they won't be there later! We got some great pics but passed a few photographers that we shouldn't have. It is complimentary and when you order your disk online it is free. You can either do the disk or just download. I downloaded and it would have been $169!!!!
If you see something you want to buy in the parks, buy it when you see it because you can't find most of it online! I was totally and super sad about this.
Take lots of pictures and write down what you did for the day at the end of he day so you can remember it. But don't get too caught up in it and end up missing the magical moments!

Go with he flow. That's part of the adventure (or at least for us planners) Do your homework and have some sort of plan to manage your time appropriately, but things will change, and you will be tired, so just go with it. We did this...I was the Commander and the Husband was the Navigator. I told him what was on the agenda and he made it happen to the best of his ability. He navigated the parks and maps and took care of food. We never made reservations and did just fine. We just didn't do any formal dining in the parks...we saved that for the ocean!
Once we got into the parks, he just took over. I told him what we were wanting to see and do and he led us. It was a great partnership! Although not everything was "checked off the list" some of it was beyond his control and I was OK with that. And don't forget, my kids are 10 and 13 so we were able to really pack it in. It was tiring but we just pushed forward and had time to relax at the beach! (and a few drinks here and there helped too! Epcot has great margaritas in Mexico!)

Sooooo excited for you all to go on your trips! Just wait for the most magical time of you and your families lives!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 AM   #2811
mspols
Earning My Ears

Thank you for posting your trip report..love it! I can not believe we leave in 16 days...WOW!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #2812
aym4Him
DIS Veteran

Hi y'all!! I know... I haven't been on in ages and I promise I'll be back. Life got really busy. I owe a TR & I'll do it after the holidays :-)

Just wanted to let you know that DAVID IS ON HIS WISH TRIP!!! They are at GKTW as we speak. He has a lil virus that sort of knocked him down when they got there but he has met Woody & Mickey and the pics I saw were adorable!!!

Pray he feels perky and happy for the rest of his trip & that his family has the time of their lives!!!

Now, I'm gonna get back to catching up on all y'all's posts while we wait on the ped ophthalmologist. (E's eyes didn't fare so well at his 4 yr well check. Really hoping its nothing but glasses aren't the end of the world).

Merry Christmas!!!!

Ethan's Magical MAW PTR (November 11-17; extending to the 20th!, 2012)

Shh! It's surprise! "Darth Ethan's Return to the Kingdom 2013" Pop Century November 11-19th
Happy Wishiversary, Ethan!
Old 12-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #2813
Lilfoot93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakinbum93 View Post
Finally have time to finish up the rest of our trip report....
So that Friday Nov 30, we did the Mauiva Air Tour and it was perfect! Kaston got to pilot the plane over Epcot, Universal, etc. and it was awesome! We then headed to Epcot. As I was saying in my earlier post, it was mine and my husbands fav park as it is geared towards adults, although our kids LOVED Mission Space! Saw the Candlelight Processional with Whoopie Goldburg. Loved all the foods and drinks and music and shopping (although we only bought a blanket). The Epcot fireworks were the very best of all parks, IMO.

What an amazing trip we had...once in a lifetime!

Tips I've learned since being home...
it's OK if you didn't get to do everything-it gives you the opportunity to have an excuse to go back!
Photopass: UTILIZE IT!! Have a picture made by everyone you see with a camera, when you see them because they won't be there later! We got some great pics but passed a few photographers that we shouldn't have. It is complimentary and when you order your disk online it is free. You can either do the disk or just download. I downloaded and it would have been $169!!!!
If you see something you want to buy in the parks, buy it when you see it because you can't find most of it online! I was totally and super sad about this.
Take lots of pictures and write down what you did for the day at the end of he day so you can remember it. But don't get too caught up in it and end up missing the magical moments!

Sooooo excited for you all to go on your trips! Just wait for the most magical time of you and your families lives!
Thanks for sharing your trip report! I can't wait until it is our turn to go! Now only if they would release SWW dates... We have been waiting since last May!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aym4Him View Post
Hi y'all!! I know... I haven't been on in ages and I promise I'll be back. Life got really busy. I owe a TR & I'll do it after the holidays :-)

Just wanted to let you know that DAVID IS ON HIS WISH TRIP!!! They are at GKTW as we speak. He has a lil virus that sort of knocked him down when they got there but he has met Woody & Mickey and the pics I saw were adorable!!!

Pray he feels perky and happy for the rest of his trip & that his family has the time of their lives!!!

Now, I'm gonna get back to catching up on all y'all's posts while we wait on the ped ophthalmologist. (E's eyes didn't fare so well at his 4 yr well check. Really hoping its nothing but glasses aren't the end of the world).

Merry Christmas!!!!
What amazing news!! Praying he is feeling good and gets to enjoy the magic of Disney!

Kara is healing well. It is amazing how resilient kids are! She loves showing off her surgery ear Good thing she is thinking this is great as she goes back in June for another surgery.

Trevor's cardiology appointment is tomorrow. Now to find some time to finish Christmas shopping and start wrapping! It is amazing how exhausted one gets from cuddling with their kiddo all day!

Jackie

TR: Trev's Star Wars MAW trip

Trevor DS 7 (wish kiddo) Allie DD 4 Kara DD 4
Old 12-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #2814
kalimom6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakinbum93 View Post
We got to feed the dolphins and they sat us front and center at the Shamu Christmas show. We were not just splashed, but soaked!!
We sat front and center and all we got were a few drops! The guy that got us the spot kept warning us that we were going to get soaked. He told us afterwards that he was very shocked that all we got were a few drops! We were lucky beings as we were braving it, sitting there with the little kids!
We LOVED Sea World, Cocoa Beach, and the Gulf (Siesta Beach). The kids tell everyone they have swam in the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico. They have never been able to actually swim in the Pacific as we go to the Washington or Oregon coasts where, when we've been, it's cold, windy, and rainy.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #2815
aym4Him
DIS Veteran

I jinxed it..

:-( David is in the ICU at Arnold Palmer with pneumonia.

They aren't sure if it's viral or bacterial but he's getting some IV antibiotics and they'll know tomorrow (b/c viral won't respond, obviously).

This absolutely stinks but his mom marveled at him smiling at the characters this week b/c he obviously wasn't feeling well. She could tell that was definitely his favorite part.

I'm not sure when they will be able to go back to TX. They had planned on today being an "easy" day at GKTW before they spent their last day at Magic Kingdom on Friday. *sigh*

Thanks for praying and thinking of them.

Amy

Shh! It's surprise! "Darth Ethan's Return to the Kingdom 2013" Pop Century November 11-19th
Old 12-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #2816
Cassondra
Mouseketeer

Quote:

They aren't sure if it's viral or bacterial but he's getting some IV antibiotics and they'll know tomorrow (b/c viral won't respond, obviously).

This absolutely stinks but his mom marveled at him smiling at the characters this week b/c he obviously wasn't feeling well. She could tell that was definitely his favorite part.

I'm not sure when they will be able to go back to TX. They had planned on today being an "easy" day at GKTW before they spent their last day at Magic Kingdom on Friday. *sigh*

Amy
Oh no! I'll keep him in my prayers for a quick recovery. I hope he was able to have some fun before this.

Shawn-Brooklyn's MAW Disney Cruise Jan 2013 pre trip

Old 12-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #2817
Cassondra
Mouseketeer

We had a blizzard here last night so no school for the kids. Big brother wants to go outside and make a snow man...but with the trip so close I really don't want Shawn-Brooklyn getting sick. Maybe I can talk him into making cookies instead

Shawn-Brooklyn's MAW Disney Cruise Jan 2013 pre trip

Old 12-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #2818
taliasmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aym4Him

Amy
How aweful, prayers being sent!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #2819
Nevada Jen
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Amy
I REALLY hope they got to have some fun first. I feel so bad for them. This is one of the things I worry about constantly for our Wish Trip. I hope it responds to antibiotics and they can get out and home soon. Is GKTW letting them continue to stay there or do they need to find another place to stay if he is not ready to leave by tomorrow?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #2820
aym4Him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassondra View Post
Oh no! I'll keep him in my prayers for a quick recovery. I hope he was able to have some fun before this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taliasmom View Post
How aweful, prayers being sent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Jen View Post
I REALLY hope they got to have some fun first. I feel so bad for them. This is one of the things I worry about constantly for our Wish Trip. I hope it responds to antibiotics and they can get out and home soon. Is GKTW letting them continue to stay there or do they need to find another place to stay if he is not ready to leave by tomorrow?
Thank y'all, so much!!

He wasn't quite himself on the flight there and didn't have a lot of smiles when they first arrived, but when he got to interact with the characters, he smiled a lot. He still wasn't quite himself but the fact that he was smiling let his family know he was having fun. As soon as the fever hit, they called his cardiologist and he suggested they go to the ER. Poor kiddo

I'm not sure what the plan is if he has to extend. I would *think* GKTW would allow them to stay, provided there isn't someone needing their villa. Then again, I'm not sure how far Arnold Palmer is from there.

I'll be sure to keep y'all posted. Thank you, SOOO much for keeping him in your prayers.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/babyhood

Take care,

Amy

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: