Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #256
wbh1964
Mouseketeer

Hey guys...got a couple questions. Other than knowing that we will be at Diseny the week of Christmas (no exact dates...just know her wish was granted and due to my hubbys work schedule we could only go 12/4-12/31 so I am hoping those will be the date but no confirmation yet...in other words don't know how many days we have been approved for or exactly what day we will leave and return home) and I know that her wish was granted to stay at Grand Floridian...but we have no details yet. Is that unusual? When does MAW give most people details. I have checked with our MAW coordinator several times and first she said it was in Disney's hand (Linds wished to do the behind the scenes tour) and last week she told me they were having an office change over at the regional office so she will try to stay in contact with them for us...but should I be concerned with lack of info?...or is that pretty normal? I have not idea of exact dates or how much $$$ we will need for out of pocket expenses...or anything about a rental car (we requested to drive) I have so many questions and to be honest am kind of starting to panic...any words of wisdom?
Matthew 6:33 "and He will give you all you need from day to day if you live for Him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern."

Lindsay's Make A Wish becomes an answer to her prayer!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #257
casper_jj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean's momma View Post
Well it's been awhile since I have been on here, between moving and getting Sean's schooling set up twice and getting a job it has been very hectic here. Tomorrow we are heading to Little Rock to Children's Hospital for a cardiology appointment and an ENT appointment for Sean. I'm nervous since I have no idea where I am going lol.

On the very good side WE HAVE DATES!!!!!! We will officially be in Disney World /GKTW from January 21-27th! : :

Now comes the planning part. I have to figure out how to pack for myself and sean. Oh and by the way as soon as we land in Little Rock I am sending Sean home with my parents and heading off to Chicago for 4 days so I am planning for 2 seperate climates in one bag. I think I have lost my mind! Lol.

I know we want to spend a whole day at Magic Kingdom. We want to do a character brunch/lunch and 50's primetime cafe. I think Sean would like to go to sea world since he is obssessed with dolphins. I'm a tiny bit overwhelmed trying to plan though lol, any ideas are much appreciated!

Also, Check out my PTR for more info on whats going on with us and Sean!
Hope everyone else is doing great and I'm so glad to be back!
Congratulations on getting dates! Part of Sydney's wish was seeing the dolphins so we couldn't miss SeaWorld. It was wonderful. We arrived at opening and went directly to the dolphin area. They let us in a separate entrance and had us wait. They gave every member of the family fish for the dolphin and let us start feeding them before everyone else was in. It was wonderful. We also received free fish for the sea lions and stingrays. DD had a blast. We also saw the dolphin show. We only stayed for 1/2 day and spent the other half at Universal. We had only planned one day for Universal but everyone enjoyed it so much that we decided to do another 1/2 day there the same day as our Seaworld day.
Princess Sydney's Magical Wish Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post38079645
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #258
casper_jj11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbh1964 View Post
Hey guys...got a couple questions. Other than knowing that we will be at Diseny the week of Christmas (no exact dates...just know her wish was granted and due to my hubbys work schedule we could only go 12/4-12/31 so I am hoping those will be the date but no confirmation yet...in other words don't know how many days we have been approved for or exactly what day we will leave and return home) and I know that her wish was granted to stay at Grand Floridian...but we have no details yet. Is that unusual? When does MAW give most people details. I have checked with our MAW coordinator several times and first she said it was in Disney's hand (Linds wished to do the behind the scenes tour) and last week she told me they were having an office change over at the regional office so she will try to stay in contact with them for us...but should I be concerned with lack of info?...or is that pretty normal? I have not idea of exact dates or how much $$$ we will need for out of pocket expenses...or anything about a rental car (we requested to drive) I have so many questions and to be honest am kind of starting to panic...any words of wisdom?
GF is going to be so beautiful for Christmas! We stayed there for Sydney's wish and it was absolutely magical. Disney upgraded us to MK view and we spent almost every evening watching the fireworks from our balcony with the kids in their jammies. It was so sweet. Oh, and if you hear music blaring at night, just look out your window (don't call the front desk to complain like I did ) Its the electrical parade going past the resorts in the lagoon!

As for MAW timing, I can't help much as Sydney's wish was through a different organization. For us, we received info and details when our wishgranter arrived just a few weeks before our trip. Now, that said, we extended Sydney's trip by a few days so I asked in advance for flight and rental car info so I could try and coordinate. They were more than willing to provide whatever information they already had. I was also really stressed out becasue they were going to gift Sydney an appointment at BBB but I really wanted to book it early enough that we could do breakfast after the BBB (part of Sydney's wish was to eat with the princesses). They told me to go ahead and book it since they couldnt' do it until much later in the planning process and in the end, they gave us a Disney gift card to pay for it instead of booking it directly themselves. It was very sweet of them.

If you're worried, I would contact them and just let them know your concerns. I'm sure they'll provide you with whatever information they have.
Princess Sydney's Magical Wish Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post38079645
Old 11-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #259
Owensheart
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbh1964 View Post
Every wish chapter is different, but we got our dates around the first of October. Our wish granters are no longer volunteers, so we didn't hear anything for the longest time. I contacted our local Make A Wish chapter and spoke with the wish manager (employee) to get information. If you are this close, you should at least know the dates?!

We won't know how much money we need for out of pocket expenses until the morning before we leave when the granters come by with all our info. We just saved up so we would be covered. So not knowing this is common.

Dates and transportation information should come soon, I would hope. Don't hesitate to contact your local MAW office for information.

I don't know if this is across the board, but our MAW trip is 7 days. We fly in on a Sunday and fly out on a Saturday. We were given the option to extend our trip out of pocket for up to 7 more days, which we elected to do. We also had the option of staying at GKTW or at a Disney Resort during our trip and chose GKTW. So I don't know if whree you lodge makes any difference on the length of your trip.

We had friends that stayed at the POLY recently and they had to visit GKTW first for orientation and to get their park tickets. They had the same deal... 3 WDW park hoppers, 2 Universal/IOA park tickets, and 1 seaworld day. Again.. not sure if that's across the board or if it's just certain MAW chapters.

I would contact them and ask for any info they can give you to help you plan.. at least in getting the time off work.

Owen's PTR!!

TRIP REPORT!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #260
newdrama12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owensheart View Post

We had friends that stayed at the POLY recently and they had to visit GKTW first for orientation and to get their park tickets. They had the same deal... 3 WDW park hoppers, 2 Universal/IOA park tickets, and 1 seaworld day. Again.. not sure if that's across the board or if it's just certain MAW chapters.

I would contact them and ask for any info they can give you to help you plan.. at least in getting the time off work.
Everyone whose wish trip is set up through GKTW get the same ticket deal. 3 day park hoppers at WDW, 2 day park hopper at Universal, and 1 day at seaworld. All families will need to attend orientation at GKTW even staying outside of the Village, since this is where the child's wish star and the pillow certificate is received. Even staying off site, families are still able to eat any meals at the Village if they chose to.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #261
lorasmom
DIS Veteran

Hi!

I've been a member of DisBoards for awhile. My 5 yr old was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in January, 2011, and was recently approved for a wish through MaW! We just met with our wish granters last week, but the only thing she asked for was "To be a Princess with Cinderella in the BIG castle in Florida. Because Cinderella is beautiful, and lonely."

We moved from Florida to SoCal about 3 years ago, and the wish granters were VERY excited to hear that we had not only been to WDW several times (and Gabby - #3 - has seen her baby/toddler self in home videos at WDW!), but our parents/their grandparents all live near Orlando, and haven't seen Gab in 2 years.

We're still waiting to hear back about Gabby's wish, but everyone's fingers are crossed hoping for WDW . In the meantime, I'm focusing my OCD'ness on reading up on prep work just in case.

I'm getting all teary eyed reading up on the other reports. I am loving that i found this forum!
DD#1, 12
DD#2, 10
Leukemia-fighting DD#3, 5
Gabby's MAW PTR!

Mom. Runner. Disney lover. Cancer hater.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #262
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorasmom View Post
Hi!

I've been a member of DisBoards for awhile. My 5 yr old was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia in January, 2011, and was recently approved for a wish through MaW! We just met with our wish granters last week, but the only thing she asked for was "To be a Princess with Cinderella in the BIG castle in Florida. Because Cinderella is beautiful, and lonely."
to the Wish Trippers thread!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about Gabby, but being granted a wish is awesome! There are so many people here that will be able to answer any questions you might have. Don't forget to check the first few posts, there are many questions that have already been answered!!!

How is Gabby doing now? Is she off treatment yet?
Old 11-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #263
starienite
Mouseketeer

Anyone have a recommendation on places off site to stay that offer a military discount? My brother and his wife are thinking of flying out when we go, but we can't add them to the wish because he is in a sub right now and it would be a big hassle, and we don't know whether or not they would be able to afford it. Any tips?

Devon's MAW PTR Departing February 16th!
The Most Awesome Trip Ever! This is Devon's MAW TR!
Old 11-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #264
lorasmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
to the Wish Trippers thread!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about Gabby, but being granted a wish is awesome! There are so many people here that will be able to answer any questions you might have. Don't forget to check the first few posts, there are many questions that have already been answered!!!

How is Gabby doing now? Is she off treatment yet?
Thanks!

She's doing really well - she's responded well to treatment, and will be in treatment until March 2013. She's pretty much my hero

I've been reading through the first few posts all morning.

One question - does MaW often extend the offer to let you stay on property, or do all wishers stay at GKTW?
DD#1, 12
DD#2, 10
Gabby's MAW PTR!

Old 11-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #265
Owensheart
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks!

She's doing really well - she's responded well to treatment, and will be in treatment until March 2013. She's pretty much my hero

I've been reading through the first few posts all morning.

One question - does MaW often extend the offer to let you stay on property, or do all wishers stay at GKTW?
Your daughter sounds like a fighter... I'm glad she's responding well to treatment thus far!!

Our local MAW office does grant wishes to stay on site or GKTW. We went back and forth on this because Owen is on a high liter flow of oxygen and we have to switch out tanks every 2 hours. We ultimately decided on staying at GKTW for the MAW week. I would call your local MAW office or wish granter and ask them.. but it has been done!

I also know that by staying on site, you can still visit GKTW and enjoy meals/activities there.

Welcome!

Owen's PTR!!

TRIP REPORT!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #266
Owensheart
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starienite View Post
Anyone have a recommendation on places off site to stay that offer a military discount? My brother and his wife are thinking of flying out when we go, but we can't add them to the wish because he is in a sub right now and it would be a big hassle, and we don't know whether or not they would be able to afford it. Any tips?
Disneyworld resorts have 40% off select hotels until September 2012 for Members of the Military!! I am not sure which hotels qualify, but it's somewhere to start!

Owen's PTR!!

TRIP REPORT!!!
Old 11-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #267
Loodlow
Mouseketeer

Hey guys, this is a little off topic but I know there are lots of knowledgable people here who might can help me. I have a friend who is interested in starting a program similar to make a wish, but aimed at giving wishes to caregivers. Have you guys ever heard of this?

TIA!
Old 11-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #268
lorasmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owensheart View Post

Your daughter sounds like a fighter... I'm glad she's responding well to treatment thus far!!

Our local MAW office does grant wishes to stay on site or GKTW. We went back and forth on this because Owen is on a high liter flow of oxygen and we have to switch out tanks every 2 hours. We ultimately decided on staying at GKTW for the MAW week. I would call your local MAW office or wish granter and ask them.. but it has been done!

I also know that by staying on site, you can still visit GKTW and enjoy meals/activities there.

Welcome!
I've been reading your PTR, love it!!! SO excited for you guys!

I'm (totally prematurely! ) leaning towards staying on site. It'd be easier for us to just head back to an on-site room if Gabby needs to rest or something.... she can tire out pretty quickly. By staying on site, are you then responsible for your own meals unless you hit up GKTW?

Thanks for all of the help here!
DD#1, 12
DD#2, 10
Gabby's MAW PTR!

Old 11-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #269
afez786
Earning My Ears

wish trip help

hi im new on here so plz guide me if iv posted in the wrong place

my little boy has been granted a wish and we are scheduled to go in 2 weeks time i have no clue what to expect and only just got to know about this board could anyone help to let us know what to expect thanks xx
Old 11-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #270
Owensheart
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I've been reading your PTR, love it!!! SO excited for you guys!

I'm (totally prematurely! ) leaning towards staying on site. It'd be easier for us to just head back to an on-site room if Gabby needs to rest or something.... she can tire out pretty quickly. By staying on site, are you then responsible for your own meals unless you hit up GKTW?

Thanks for all of the help here!
We went back and forth with staying on site. We then decided to just extend our trip and make shorter park days to keep Owen from getting exhausted. GKTW is a once in a lifetime place to stay, so we couldn't pass it up.

I would talk to your local MAW office for sure. Our friends that stayed at the Poly had the choice to eat at GKTW or purchase their food in the parks. It varies by chapter on how much your expense check will be as well. We won't get our until the morning before our trip, so we just budgeted and saved for the trip so that we have enough, even if we won't need it.

Owen's PTR!!

TRIP REPORT!!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: