Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #211
twinmum
DIS Veteran

Going back for a visit to GKTW?

Hello! Our son had his wish granted in Nov 2008 and we have a wonderful Wish trip. For those of you planning, get ready for the experience of a lifetime.

We are heading out for a 4 night Disney cruise in March, and hoping to stay in Orlando for a couple of days either side. We'd like to visit GKTW after the cruise for an afternoon - my inlaws are also coming, so the boys will be thrilled to show their grandparents what we experienced. And it should make getting off Mickey's boat a little easier!

What's the process for returning for a visit? Do we call ahead? Do we bring identification from our son's Wish Trip? Do we need his star coordinates or can they look that up? Also, there is a special paver I'd like to say a prayer at - can they help me find it or should I approach the family of a special little guy who was taken too soon?

Finally, I was thinking it would be nice to make some kind of donation/contribution. We're from Canada and making a financial donation is a bit more complicated via cheque etc. I had 2 ideas: will they take a cash donation? Could we head to either the Walmart or somewhere else for some WDW souvenirs (or other items) and load up for a donation of items? How could I learn what items are most needed?

This visit will be all about rekindling some of the special memories, as it's beena bit of a tough year. I hope we'll visit again, this time to volunteer as the boys will be old enough.

Thanks, sorry this was long!
Alison
Old 11-02-2011, 09:08 AM   #212
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmum View Post
Hello! Our son had his wish granted in Nov 2008 and we have a wonderful Wish trip. For those of you planning, get ready for the experience of a lifetime.

We are heading out for a 4 night Disney cruise in March, and hoping to stay in Orlando for a couple of days either side. We'd like to visit GKTW after the cruise for an afternoon - my inlaws are also coming, so the boys will be thrilled to show their grandparents what we experienced. And it should make getting off Mickey's boat a little easier!

What's the process for returning for a visit? Do we call ahead? Do we bring identification from our son's Wish Trip? Do we need his star coordinates or can they look that up? Also, there is a special paver I'd like to say a prayer at - can they help me find it or should I approach the family of a special little guy who was taken too soon?

Finally, I was thinking it would be nice to make some kind of donation/contribution. We're from Canada and making a financial donation is a bit more complicated via cheque etc. I had 2 ideas: will they take a cash donation? Could we head to either the Walmart or somewhere else for some WDW souvenirs (or other items) and load up for a donation of items? How could I learn what items are most needed?

This visit will be all about rekindling some of the special memories, as it's beena bit of a tough year. I hope we'll visit again, this time to volunteer as the boys will be old enough.

Thanks, sorry this was long!
Alison
Alison, We were a return family...on Lisaís WISH TRIP! We extended our trip by four days and returned after we checked out. We also saw two returning families while we were at staying at GKTW. While we heard three different sets of ways to handle returning families (always depends on who you talk to, it seems) it was basically the same...we were given a meal voucher, ice cream voucher (didnít need it) and the run of the village to explore, play and enjoy! It was so much fun to be a returning guest and see new families come in (I know we all remember that wide eye look of wonder upon our first day)! We were able to help answer some questions (hung out at the Ice Cream Parlor and Katie's Kitchen some and shared a bit of knowledge and excitement from our trip for those who asked). Lisa had a huge bag of candy and happily went around asking parents if she could offer some to their children...(only one Mom said no, there was too much junky food at this place already with the ice cream, snow cones, cotton candy and cookies). We had a GREAT time as a return family and met two of the sweetest college students at the Train Station who I have already invited to come to Charlotte to visit. One of the girls actually attended the elementary school Christian attended for fifth grade and she was a year behind him, although she is older. As far as donations...I would get a money order vs cash when you go to Walmart...however, you could call or email and ask them if cash would be a problem. GKTW Website has a list of their wishes/needs at this link. I hope that helps. W just pulled up to the security station, identified ourselves as a past wish family and they let us in. No one was manning the gate that day and it was still not a problem, just go straight to the house of hearts and ENJOY! As for the paver, I would ask at the desk or again you could email. If it is a little wish tripper who recently passed, his paver is near the carousel...
If you have your passport with the star coordinates I would bring it. They played a little game with Lisa and the Star Fairy to find her star, it was so fun and Lisa loved it.
I hope you have an AMAZING TIME!!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #213
jdmmom
Earning My Ears

Got one day planned out for our trip! Very excited to have made the girls' BBB appointments!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #214
jdmmom
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know if Wish families get any sort of priority seating for Fantasmic at DHS? Some friends of ours suggested purchasing the dinner package for guaranteed section seating at the show, but we are really trying to save money.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #215
angcmom
Earning My Ears

Getting Closer!!!

[COLOR="Purple"]Our wish granter came today and brought our paperwork...it makes everything seem so much more real! We leave on Tuesday morning and couldn't be any more excited.

I updated our pre-trip report to include today's visit (which already had some pixie dust sprinkled in. I am continually in awe of how generous our MAW chapter has been.

I asked this on the Disney Restaurants thread, but wanted to post the question here as well. You have all been such a wealth of information...hoping you can help with this question too.

"We have accumulated quite a bit of Disney dollars over the past few years using our Disney Chase Visa card. We will definitely be using the rewards card in the park, but I am curious as to which restaurants outside of the four Disney parks will accept Disney rewards.

I'm thinking maybe restaurants located at Downtown Disney but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyone know for sure?"

Thanks!!

Pre-trip report! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post42896165
Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #216
newdrama12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmmom View Post
Just curious: How long are the character meals usually? We are looking at booking on at Akershus at EPCOT.
I would plan at least an hour for it.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:23 PM   #217
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

As Promised...

Pictures of Daniel...aka newdrama12.

I recognized him the first night we were at GKTW by his robe...

Goodnight all, enjoy dreaming of Disney...
Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 AM   #218
mom2pixies
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
Pictures of Daniel...aka newdrama12.

I recognized him the first night we were at GKTW by his robe...

Goodnight all, enjoy dreaming of Disney...
Aw, the Wizard! We enjoyed Daniel's company while we were in Disney. We chatted with him several times and he helped Brooke with her star and pillow! Good to see his face here! What a great volunteer.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #219
mom2pixies
DIS Veteran

Check out my trip report for some Super, Amazing INCREDIBLE news!!! And--one helluva photo. (Excuse the language, but dang! It's a good one!)
Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 PM   #220
starienite
Mouseketeer

Should I email my wish grantors for an update? My husband is getting concerned as we approach the requested months for our trip and wants to make sure he is able to request vacation in time.

Devon's MAW PTR Departing February 16th!
The Most Awesome Trip Ever! This is Devon's MAW TR!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #221
kimmg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starienite View Post
Should I email my wish grantors for an update? My husband is getting concerned as we approach the requested months for our trip and wants to make sure he is able to request vacation in time.
I would. My chapter has been wonderful answering any questions, even if it's just to check the status. It couldn't hurt!

Our Pre-trip report
WDW '96 '05 '07
DLR I lost track some where along the way but many, many trips since birth
Old 11-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #222
threelittlebakers
Mouseketeer

I am sorry i haven't been on. The whole family has been sick on and off for the past two weeks. Matthew and Emmy had a virus and i am just getting over strep. So we have been miserable. The only think that has been keeping us cheerful was Emmy just turned 5 on October 30 and Matthew will be 4 tomorrow.

http://www.disboards.com/member.php?u=398687

Matt Sr. Alicia Emerald (5)use: Matthew Jr. (4)
Old 11-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #223
threelittlebakers
Mouseketeer

Good news everyone. I work at Boston Market. We have started the donate a dollar to Give The Kids The World Village and you get a booklet of coupons to us at our restaurants. I am so proud of the store i work at. We are number one with the most donations. I inspire our guest to donate there money for a great cause. I tell them the story on how the village came to be. I am surprise that a lot of people are not aware of the village. So if there is a Boston Market near you please be kind and donate. We all know how they depend on donations to keep the place running.

http://www.disboards.com/member.php?u=398687

Matt Sr. Alicia Emerald (5)use: Matthew Jr. (4)
Old 11-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #224
newdrama12
DIS Veteran

GKTW entertainment schedule change

It has recently been announced by GKTW that there has been a change in the weekly entertainment schedule. Every Monday night, GKTW will be hosting a Halloween Party. It is a lot of fun and families can wear costumes if you want to. There will be trick or treat as well as tons of activities. Just thought that I would share. So, Monday night, no more double dare and Kids Night Out. But the Halloween party.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #225
jdmmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by starienite View Post
I've emailed ours several times over the course of all of this. We too were getting anxious about dates because of my husband's work. Our grantor we emailed was always quick to respond and did her best to find out information for us.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: