Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #1936
GavandGraciesMommy
Mouseketeer

So speaking of the parties at GKTW... I know if have seen other postings about the parties being kind of slow for the older kids and really are best for those that tire early in the day or younger children. Is this correct? My daughter will be 5 and son will be 8 (cognitively around 16 months). So what are the must go to parties. I know we are going to the Christmas one and would like to make it to the Princess one but not sure we will be back in time. Any other must not miss?

Also has anyone did the Dine with Shamu? I think we are going to purchase tickets and wondered if anyone else had tried it and what they thought of the interaction level

Gavin's PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=45494569
gavandgraciesmommy.blogspot.com
Old 09-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #1937
nesser1981
DIS Veteran

Yeah, they are. My kids were 6 & 4 when we were there, so they loved them. The biggest thing I didn't like to be honest was, they start a little late for my taste, my kids are usually in bed by 7. And since they're on the Avenue of Angels, there isn't anywhere for the adults to really sit. Its a lot of standing.

That being said, we went to every party except for whatever happens on Wednesday nights & the Candyland game, that was on the day we left. But we never tried to be at the village for the parties, we were just always back early from the parks.

The kids favorite party and ours was The Princess & Pirates party, it was by the pool, so there are chairs, we could sit and watch the kids play and dance instead of hovering the entire time. They enjoyed Halloween, even though it rained, and Christmas was nice, we did the carriage ride, that was a big hit. The cookout by the pool was another fun one, I enjoyed that. I didn't really enjoy Mayor Clayton's Birthday party, it took too long to get started and it didn't seem like there was much going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavandGraciesMommy View Post
So speaking of the parties at GKTW... I know if have seen other postings about the parties being kind of slow for the older kids and really are best for those that tire early in the day or younger children. Is this correct? My daughter will be 5 and son will be 8 (cognitively around 16 months). So what are the must go to parties. I know we are going to the Christmas one and would like to make it to the Princess one but not sure we will be back in time. Any other must not miss?

Also has anyone did the Dine with Shamu? I think we are going to purchase tickets and wondered if anyone else had tried it and what they thought of the interaction level

Keira's MAW PTR

Keira's MAW TR

2001, Disney Sea 2002, Animal Kingdom 2002, MK 2010, GKTW MAW 2012

Last edited by nesser1981; 09-10-2012 at 10:31 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #1938
LittleEsmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
camidges
Yay!
We just found out on Friday that Ryan's wish for Disneyworld was approved by the dr. and the chapter's board! Now we are just waiting to hear if we got our dates - we asked to go around his birthday in January. So excited!~ Hopefully we will hear more and be able to start planning soon.
YAY We will be there for Emma's birthday in March. She flipped when I told her. What better way to let them know how really special they are.
The waiting is hard especially for someone SO impatient like me. Can't wait to get to know you and your family!

Emma's PTR..Better late than never./?t=3069552
Old 09-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #1939
twinmum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmomof4 View Post
Thank you for the suggestions, I've been looking over the maps of the parks and distances today. Jeff will go back to get them each night, we'd already figured on that, and we planned to arrive at each park together in the morning. I'm realizing we can't just pull up to the gate to pick them up at the end of the night. Where is the best site or thread to look for maps/buses/transportation between parks? And can we use that with the boys to go from say Epcot to Animal Kingdom given that we'll have two wheelchairs?
I got the PM, thanks so much! My reply will come as soon as I have enough posts!
Thank you,
Jennifer
and re: Maroo's reply:
As far as pulling up the parks...
MK - is a little hard - but they could walk to The Contemporary (about 5 min walk) and you could pick them up from there easily.
AK - pretty close up parking there with a HA tag -
DHS - very close parking with a HA tag
Epcot - I don't think I would attempt this one...It seems like it is really far away?? But maybe I don't remember right

For Epcot, you could have the girls finish up in World Showcase, then they could exit via the International Gateway and walk over to the Beach Club resort and he could pick up there? Although as I remember the HA parking isn't that far away. Better check the map again.

We have become annual WDW visitors since our son's Wish Trip in 2008, and our new favourite resorts are the Beach Club and Yacht Club. In fact, we were lucky enough to meet Maroo at Beaches and Crean (ice cream shop) on our trip a couple of years ago!

Happy planning!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #1940
Moodyzblu
DIS Veteran

My boys were 7 at the time of our Wish trip and their favorite party at GKTW was Christmas. They got sort of bored at the others that we attended (except for when they played "wands" with their friend and big brother !)

We never left the parks early to go to the parties .. we just happened to come back at the right times to attend them .. but they are great for younger kids or kids with greater restrictions as far as tiring easily or just needing a break.

Come check out ..
Jayden's Wish pre-trip report !
It Smells Like Elephant and Forbidden Journey's Wish Trip Report ... in progress
The Moodys Do Disneyland!
Youtube channel ... http://www.youtube.com/user/Moodyzblu
Old 09-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #1941
jmerchlinsky
Earning My Ears

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodyzblu View Post
My boys were 7 at the time of our Wish trip and their favorite party at GKTW was Christmas. They got sort of bored at the others that we attended (except for when they played "wands" with their friend and big brother !)

We never left the parks early to go to the parties .. we just happened to come back at the right times to attend them .. but they are great for younger kids or kids with greater restrictions as far as tiring easily or just needing a break.
Thank you for that info we will be there in just 3 weeks

Dad Of 4
Lexie 8 Abby 6 Cameron(Soon to be wish child)5 John (Wish Kid) 3 Married to the Wonderful and Charming Angelina

Cameron's Pre Trip Report

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post47358702
Old 09-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #1942
jmerchlinsky
Earning My Ears

Reality

Wow, this is really where reality starts in, we are getting our expense check and tickets and all that good stuff tonight. Our wish granter called and he will be coming tonight. I mean it is only 3 weeks away so we are anxious enough with that, but it will really set our nerves going with what is happening tonight.....But not matter what we are looking forward to John's wish and having a great and magical time at WDW

Dad Of 4
Lexie 8 Abby 6 Cameron(Soon to be wish child)5 John (Wish Kid) 3 Married to the Wonderful and Charming Angelina

Cameron's Pre Trip Report

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post47358702
Old 09-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #1943
aym4Him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerchlinsky View Post
Wow, this is really where reality starts in, we are getting our expense check and tickets and all that good stuff tonight. Our wish granter called and he will be coming tonight. I mean it is only 3 weeks away so we are anxious enough with that, but it will really set our nerves going with what is happening tonight.....But not matter what we are looking forward to John's wish and having a great and magical time at WDW
Yay!! I can't wait to hear about your trip since our wish kiddo is 3, too!

I tried to click on the link in your siggy and it didn't work. Brought up a ... in the address bar. Just wanted to let you know!

IT'S GOING TO BE MAGICAL!!!!

Ethan's Magical MAW PTR (November 11-17; extending to the 20th!, 2012)

Shh! It's surprise! "Darth Ethan's Return to the Kingdom 2013" Pop Century November 11-19th
Happy Wishiversary, Ethan!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #1944
GavandGraciesMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So excited for you! Have a wonderful time

Old 09-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #1945
GavandGraciesMommy
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the advice on the parties. I think the only we will actually try to make it back for is the Christmas one because I am sure the kids will be upset if we miss Santa We will just see if we get back in time for the others. Thanks again

Old 09-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #1946
aym4Him
DIS Veteran

It's my own doggone fault...

No reservations available for Chef Mickey's the week we will be at WDW.

We can still book something at Hollywood and Vine, but are there any other recommendations y'all might have for an almost 4 yr old boy? He may or may not dig the characters, but he's saying he wants to eat with Mickey and all his friends and Jake, Oso, Handy Manny, etc.

I wish I knew what characters would be visiting at GKTW. I mean, if we don't get a character meal, it's not the end of the world!!! He is going to have SOOOOOOOOOOO much fun!!! I've been snagging Disney shirts when they go on sale for him to wear while we're there!!

Do any of you know the actual prices of the character meals I mentioned? I keep seeing things like $$ or $$$ and then the only numeric answer I've seen is either $15.99-35.99 or $39-59.99. Just curious.

MVMCP. Do you think it will be crazy-crowded on a Friday? (Nov 16th)

Thank you!

Ethan's Magical MAW PTR (November 11-17; extending to the 20th!, 2012)

Shh! It's surprise! "Darth Ethan's Return to the Kingdom 2013" Pop Century November 11-19th
Happy Wishiversary, Ethan!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #1947
onceagain1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thank you for that info we will be there in just 3 weeks
Oh my goshhhhhhhh!!!! That's soooo exciting!!! And they came tonight to see you - yippee!!! So exciting!! I'm so happy for you!! Great excuse to use the dancing bananas!!

Can't wait to hear all about it!!

Chatterbox's Pre-Trip Report

December 14 - December 22, 2012
Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #1948
onceagain1
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the thoughts on the various parties. I'm thinking we'll be back to GKTW each evening for our tired little ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
Yeah, they are. My kids were 6 & 4 when we were there, so they loved them. The biggest thing I didn't like to be honest was, they start a little late for my taste, my kids are usually in bed by 7. And since they're on the Avenue of Angels, there isn't anywhere for the adults to really sit. Its a lot of standing.

That being said, we went to every party except for whatever happens on Wednesday nights & the Candyland game, that was on the day we left. But we never tried to be at the village for the parties, we were just always back early from the parks.

The kids favorite party and ours was The Princess & Pirates party, it was by the pool, so there are chairs, we could sit and watch the kids play and dance instead of hovering the entire time. They enjoyed Halloween, even though it rained, and Christmas was nice, we did the carriage ride, that was a big hit. The cookout by the pool was another fun one, I enjoyed that. I didn't really enjoy Mayor Clayton's Birthday party, it took too long to get started and it didn't seem like there was much going on.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #1949
DelanaAndKyra
Mouseketeer

With all of the reading of all of these posts I am getting more and more excited about the wish. I guess its a good thing Kyra cant read yet or we would both be going crazy! I am going to start giving little hints to her again as she really needs some cheering up right now. Just need to figure out how exactly I can do just this. I like the idea of little crafts, Maybe i can make some for each occasion with a disney theme?

Kyras MAW PTR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post45857749

Old 09-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #1950
onceagain1
Mouseketeer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aym4Him View Post
No reservations available for Chef Mickey's the week we will be at WDW.

We can still book something at Hollywood and Vine, but are there any other recommendations y'all might have for an almost 4 yr old boy? He may or may not dig the characters, but he's saying he wants to eat with Mickey and all his friends and Jake, Oso, Handy Manny, etc.

I wish I knew what characters would be visiting at GKTW. I mean, if we don't get a character meal, it's not the end of the world!!! He is going to have SOOOOOOOOOOO much fun!!! I've been snagging Disney shirts when they go on sale for him to wear while we're there!!

Do any of you know the actual prices of the character meals I mentioned? I keep seeing things like $$ or $$$ and then the only numeric answer I've seen is either $15.99-35.99 or $39-59.99. Just curious.

MVMCP. Do you think it will be crazy-crowded on a Friday? (Nov 16th)

Thank you!
Eeek!! Your trip is coming up too!! I can't wait to hear all about it. And if you do decide to go to MVMCP, please let me know what you think of it, including crowds/views. I'm not sure yet if we'll take it in. I think we will, I think we'll plan a day at GKTW or elsewhere for the morning, then head to Disney late afternoon or something...now wait...did I read that someone else said that if you buy tickets for this event, that you then have access to Disney at 4pm?...so in theory, that could be on a separate day than our 3 day pass? Ooh the thoughts that are swirling.

As for the prices that you're seeing for character dining, I saw that too, and I think it's per person. I actually started a reservation and picked a date that we were there and it was available, I couldn't believe it! I can't remember which restaurant it was for, but I was so surprised that a time slot was available that I closed it out - as I wasn't actually ready to pay, I hadn't yet really decided. And for that matter, I'm still not sure, as it would then be $60 per person, so actually $240 for us for a meal...doesn't seem quite right...

And in other news for us (instead of making yet another post - yet to figure out how to multiple reply), we received a care package from a Fairy Godmother, as I call her. A beautiful handmade scrapbook pre-set for Chatterbox's wish trip - so pretty. Chatterbox was so excited! I posted a few (oversized) pics on our PTR. She was bouncing with excitement!!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: