Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #1861
Lilfoot93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmomof4 View Post
Hi,
I am new here. I am the wife of a soldier, mom of four incredible kids, dd age 14 (some hearing impairment and learning difficulties), ds age 10, ds's age 8 and 8, yes we are blessed with twins! All three boys have mitochondrial disease, eosinophilic esophagitis and high functioning autism (along with a myriad of other medical issues, including increasing cardiac issues, but all are likely related to the mitochondrial disease, as we are realizing more and more now). We just returned from Ethan and Aidan's Wish Trip this summer, which was an amazing two weeks in California. Their wishes were to go behind the scenes at Lego Land (Ethan), and Learn to Surf (Aidan), AND both wished to see family and cousins. We had moved away from our home and family in California seven years ago, to pursue better medical care for the boys, and because my husband joined the Army. We had no doctors in CA who had ever seen children like ours eight years ago, and have been blessed with amazing care out here, and thus have not been "home" more than once since. We had an amazing two weeks in California! LegoLand was fun, but the behind the scenes with the Master Builders made Ethan's day! As did the exclusive Darth Maul mini fig all the kids were given by the Master Builder. Aidan, and all of us, loved learning to surf! He was on his feet right away and LOVED the whole morning...he tired and was too exhuasted and cold to go on within two hours, so we didn't finish the morning out, but what an amazing morning! We also had an amazing week driving north to spend a week with family! We spent four days with my husband's family, and had cousins camp with eight other cousins besides our four! Then we drove farther north and spent three days in a cabin with my family, three sisters, two husbands, one boyfriend, ten children under ten, with a cousins camp party, day at the lake and a wonderful cabin experience! It was truly the trip of a lifetime and the boys, and we all, made memories for a lifetime! Make A Wish truly blessed us beyond belief!

Then we had enough money set aside, to use our military discount to do three days at Disneyland as well. I grew up going to Disneyland, as has our daughter, but this was our first time back in eight years, now with three boys with special and medical needs. It was hot, tiring, confusing with no plan, and while there were bits of magic, it was frustrating, until we gave up and simply enjoyed being there and the reality of literally only doing 3-4 things per day and then leaving. By the end Colin, our third son - who's wish is to do Jedi Training and go to Give Kids the World, was hysterical and said to cancel his wish. Thus why I'm on these boards, trying to do everything we can to make sure his trip is a success for him, and all the rest of us! Our trip to Orlando is the end of this month, and this time, the daughter gets to bring a friend, so the two teen girls can head off on their own to enjoy roller coasters, while we do what the boys can handle. We learned a hard lesson regarding wheelchairs for the boys, and have asked Make A Wish to rent them ahead of time for us, or else we will, we don't want to spend an hour each day renting and returning them...We need one regular size for Ethan and then one large size one for the twins to share...since there are only two of us to push them. And thankfully after reading through all these boards, it appears that the parking is very far from the actual entrances, so we definitely need the wheelchairs ahead of time.

I've been busy reading these boards for the last four days. Thank you so much to everyone before me who's posted so many tips and answers! I've saved several pages of tips along the way! I've also spent two days with Colin, just watching all the videos on the park websites, and on youtube, of all the parks and rides, so Colin knows what to expect and can make decisions of what he'd like to do. One of the hardest things about DL was that the boys didn't know what to expect for rides, and one boy would like one ride/show, but it would terrify the other two, and so we are working to figure out what each child wants.

I am slightly frustrated with the flights MAW chose for us, it has us arriving to GKTW at 530pm on the first day, and leaving for the airport at 715am on the seventh day. That leaves us only five days for the parks. Colin has decided on a day at Discovery Cove (we'll use this for our "rest" day, hopefully in the middle of our trip), one day or half day at Islands of Adventure to see Harry Potter world and the Marvel characters. He really wants to do Ifly, Swiming with the dolphins, the Disney Parks, and Harry Potter. His actual wish is Jedi Training, but now after a weekend of watching videos, he's actually excited about the rest as well. We have no illusions of spending the entire day in any of the parks. The teen girls we'll let go off on their own. We'll use our tickets to get them FP's for the rides they'd like to do before we leave a park, unless we can leave the GKTW GAC pass with them? We'll take the three boys to each park they want to do, and then leave when they are tired. We have a couple things per park that are must's and then whatever they are up to after that. Discovery Cove will be the day we all spend together, and evenings at GKTW. Colin's decided he wants to be sure we are back in time for the Santa night at the Big Splash Bash. Our days for the parks are Thursday, Sept 27 to Monday Oct 1.

Trip Plan:
Sept 26 Day 1 - arrive, enjoy GKTW, orientation
Sept 27 Day 2 - IOA for Harry Potter/Marvel Characters and then Aquatica in afternoon if the kids don't want to stay at IOA?
Sept 28 Day 3 - Disney MK?
Sept 29 Day 4 - Discovery Cove (for a day of downtime, possibly Ifly in pm?)
Sept 30 Day 5 - Disney HS?
Oct 1 Day 6 - Disney AK for the safari, Lion King show, and get FP's for girls then Epcot in afternoon with boys
Oct 2 Day 7 - fly home early

Somewhere in there we'd like to catch Wishes or Illuminations if possible. I'm calling Make A Wish on Tuesday, to see if we can possibly get the itinerary sooner, as our volunteers can't give it to us until three days before we leave due to their schedule, and I know I'll need to book Discovery Cove and make a couple reservations before then. I know that MAW is setting up Jedi Training, and something special (hopefully meeting Darth Vader) for Colin one day, and they are possibly also treating us to MNSSHP one night as well, which would move some of my days around. Oh and to add to all of this, this will be our last week together as a family for quite awhile, as my husband will deploy not long after we return. So we want to relax and enjoy this week together. If we don't get to do everything we have planned, oh well, we just want Colin to have a blast and spend time together!

I'm sorry if I've combined my intro and PTR in the same post, but I'm realizing we have not much time left till this trip and we have a lot to accomplish before we leave, not only for this trip but also in preparation for my husband leaving. Any advice, especially about which days for which parks, would be incredibly appreciated! OH and our boys are not able to eat food by mouth at all! They have only two safe foods, a certain brand of potato chips and apples...I know we can find apples at Disney, what about IOA? Or Discovery Cove? Any thoughts or help would be appreciated!
Thank you,
Jennifer
I am so glad your son gets his wish! My son Trevor is a Star Wars fan also and his wish revolves around Jedi training also I too, have been blessed with twins. They are almost 4. I hope your son has a magical trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanori View Post
We are going on a make a wish trip, my son Orion has a complex congeital heart defect. DD -Hannah. i am so excited. I can't wait to see there faces.

I am a fellow heart mom too. I am so glad Orion gets his wish! Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

Jackie

TR: Trev's Star Wars MAW trip

Trevor DS 7 (wish kiddo) Allie DD 4 Kara DD 4
Old 09-03-2012, 04:25 AM   #1862
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmomof4 View Post
. . . By the end Colin, our third son - who's wish is to do Jedi Training and go to Give Kids the World, was hysterical and said to cancel his wish. . . . The teen girls we'll let go off on their own. We'll use our tickets to get them FP's for the rides they'd like to do before we leave a park, unless we can leave the GKTW GAC pass with them? We'll take the three boys to each park they want to do, and then leave when they are tired. We have a couple things per park that are must's and then whatever they are up to after that. Discovery Cove will be the day we all spend together, and evenings at GKTW. Colin's decided he wants to be sure we are back in time for the Santa night at the Big Splash Bash. Our days for the parks are Thursday, Sept 27 to Monday Oct 1.

Trip Plan:
Sept 26 Day 1 - arrive, enjoy GKTW, orientation
Sept 27 Day 2 - IOA for Harry Potter/Marvel Characters and then Aquatica in afternoon if the kids don't want to stay at IOA?
Sept 28 Day 3 - Disney MK?
Sept 29 Day 4 - Discovery Cove (for a day of downtime, possibly Ifly in pm?)
Sept 30 Day 5 - Disney HS?
Oct 1 Day 6 - Disney AK for the safari, Lion King show, and get FP's for girls then Epcot in afternoon with boys
Oct 2 Day 7 - fly home early

Somewhere in there we'd like to catch Wishes or Illuminations if possible. I'm calling Make A Wish on Tuesday, to see if we can possibly get the itinerary sooner, as our volunteers can't give it to us until three days before we leave due to their schedule, and I know I'll need to book Discovery Cove and make a couple reservations before then. I know that MAW is setting up Jedi Training, and something special (hopefully meeting Darth Vader) for Colin one day, and they are possibly also treating us to MNSSHP one night as well, which would move some of my days around. Oh and to add to all of this, this will be our last week together as a family for quite awhile, as my husband will deploy not long after we return. So we want to relax and enjoy this week together. If we don't get to do everything we have planned, oh well, we just want Colin to have a blast and spend time together!

. . .
Welcome to the Wish thread!

Here's the old lady's initial thoughts on reading your post.

1. When planning your itinerary, think about why Colin wanted his wish canceled - was he exhausted? OVerwhelmed? (I'm looking at your itinerary and thinking THAT's A LOT to cram into 5 days. I'm not seeing any relaxation time in there at all - and if you add a Halloween party, even less.)
2. If you split up, the girls going one plark and the rest of you another, have you thought how you're going to get the girls back to GKTW?
3. If you have a handicap parking tag at home, you should take it. Accessible parking is the front rows in the parking lots and much easier.
4. Before you plan two parks in one day, make sure the passes you receive are park hoppers instead of one day one park. I can't remember, and I would hate for you to be disappointed that you couldn't "hop".

Good Luck and Happy planning!
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #1863
jmerchlinsky
Earning My Ears

Question for every one

Hey everyone, we finally finished our itineraries and we are just 4 weeks before we leave for our trip Oct 1-7 at GKTW. The Family is so excited, we have a question though, has anyone been to aquatica, and if so how is it, we are going to do Universal/IOA in one day, the kids aren't big enough for most rides, so we are doing Sea World/ Aquatica on our extra day. We just wanted to get an idea of how it was.

Thanks

Dad Of 4
Lexie 8 Abby 6 Cameron(Soon to be wish child)5 John (Wish Kid) 3 Married to the Wonderful and Charming Angelina

Cameron's Pre Trip Report

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post47358702
Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #1864
yeti5353
Mouseketeer

I finally did a PTR and I linked it to my signature but could not get my dying computer to work with the system to add ptr to the link.

we are a bit different than most familie, going before the worst of the illness.

Wishes, Stitch, dolphins and other mischief. A wish trip in the works
Old 09-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #1865
Momtokcc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti5353 View Post
My kids are furious that my first stop on arrival is walmart! And Miss Wish thinks it matters where her souvies come from. the budget police has news for her! Stuff from walmart will be just as good or maybe even better!
LOL - I am with you on this one!!

Wish Trip October 20-26th!!!

Jenn

DH
DD(17)
DS(10) Wish kid
DS(7)
Old 09-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #1866
jjmomof4
MAW Trip Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
1. When planning your itinerary, think about why Colin wanted his wish canceled - was he exhausted? OVerwhelmed? (I'm looking at your itinerary and thinking THAT's A LOT to cram into 5 days. I'm not seeing any relaxation time in there at all - and if you add a Halloween party, even less.)
2. If you split up, the girls going one plark and the rest of you another, have you thought how you're going to get the girls back to GKTW?
3. If you have a handicap parking tag at home, you should take it. Accessible parking is the front rows in the parking lots and much easier.
4. Before you plan two parks in one day, make sure the passes you receive are park hoppers instead of one day one park. I can't remember, and I would hate for you to be disappointed that you couldn't "hop".

Good Luck and Happy planning!
Thank you for the welcome! I didn't plan nothing days, because we likely will leave each park by about 1 or 2pm and go back to rest and relax (and take a two hour nap) at GKTW. If they aren't up to it the next day, then we just won't go, and will stay at GKTW and enjoy the pool and sleeping in.

I think what overwhelmed him the most at Disneyland this summer was that it was a surprise portion of the trip and he doesn't do well with "surprises" at all. He also didn't know what to expect on any ride, and wouldn't go on anything if he didn't know exactly what would happen first, and then if he tried something and got scared he was done for the day! And we adults had expectations built in from our memories as kids, by day two we'd thrown all expectations out and just enjoyed what few things they liked and it went much better after that. So he and I have been patiently watching every single video that Disney, IOA and Discovery Cove have, and tons of videos on youtube...so far that's helped a ton with planning. We thought he'd love the GM Test Track and after watching videos he's adamant about not going on that. He was adamant about not seeing dolphins until we started watching videos, and now he's very excited. He was excited about certain things at Harry Potter and now is adament that he doesn't want to do most of it. He's only interested in a couple of things per park, and of course doing his Jedi Training, so we don't have a lot of pressure to "get things done".

Yes our passes are supposed to be park hoppers, so we can do two parks in a day, and really there's not much he wants to do at Epcot or AK, so we could do both of those in one morning then relax at GKTW the rest of the day.

Picking the girls up is a very good point, I'm starting to try and map everything out, and didn't even realize how long it takes to get from one park to the other, so I'm working on the logistics of that now. We do have a handicapped placard, have for years now, so we'll bring that with us.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!
Jennifer
Old 09-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #1867
Momtokcc
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelanaAndKyra View Post
Kyra got home from the hospital today and now we can really focus on the excitement and count down of the wish trip in may!! Moving forward from here on out
So glad Kyra is home! Have fun counting down!!!

Wish Trip October 20-26th!!!

Jenn

DH
DD(17)
DS(10) Wish kid
DS(7)
Old 09-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #1868
yeti5353
Mouseketeer

Picking the girls up is a very good point, I'm starting to try and map everything out, and didn't even realize how long it takes to get from one park to the other, so I'm working on the logistics of that now. We do have a handicapped placard, have for years now, so we'll bring that with us.

look at having the girls take a bus to down town disney or a resort for pick up rather than at the epcot gate. they can use the disney transportation I think.....

Old 09-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #1869
yeti5353
Mouseketeer

is there a way to retitle a wish trip report? if so I cant figure it out.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #1870
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Quote:
is there a way to retitle a wish trip report? if so I cant figure it out.
Click on the first post in your thread then click on advanced settings and at the top of the page you will see the Title and be able to change it .
Old 09-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #1871
yeti5353
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
Click on the first post in your thread then click on advanced settings and at the top of the page you will see the Title and be able to change it .

I dont see advanced and nothing happens when I click on my post.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #1872
hanori
Earning My Ears

Thanks Jackie, just read Trevor's story. Wow! Can't wait to read more.

D
Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #1873
yeti5353
Mouseketeer

Just added lunch at the crystal palace in MK for our MK day. Hope its good and also a nice break. 2:05 lunch

Not sure what we are going to do about Molly's severe leg pains in the park. I really dont want them to spoil the holiday but really have no way to prevent them and not alot to treat them. at this point she is flat out refusing a wheel chair.....

Old 09-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #1874
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Quote:
I dont see advanced and nothing happens when I click on my post.
Click on the EDIT button first, then click on Go Advanced, Then Title....(It will be below the box that says Reason for editing).
Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #1875
blessedmom4

Quote:
Just added lunch at the crystal palace in MK for our MK day. Hope its good and also a nice break. 2:05 lunch

Not sure what we are going to do about Molly's severe leg pains in the park. I really dont want them to spoil the holiday but really have no way to prevent them and not alot to treat them. at this point she is flat out refusing a wheel chair.....
I would try to find out WHY she doesn't want the W/C and go from there. Maybe if she understands it will shorten her park days if she is in pain she will be more inclined to use one...
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: