Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
DisneyTiger
Life is what happens between trips to Disney World

*UPDATED 10/11* "Yes, someone stole our stroller"... and other magical moments.

Well hello everyone. And welcome to my trip report. My family and I are seasoned Disney travlers and I've written a few TR's. I haven't been on the DIS much lately so I am really looking forward to getting back in the groove and sharing our trip with y'all. So, if that didn't give it away (y'all) I am from South Louisiana. My name is Talissa and I am a SAHM. I have a wonderful husband, a daughter Aubrey who will be 6 on Friday and a son Brendan who is 4.5. This was their 5th trip to WDW and it was technically for DD's birthday. But who am I kidding, I am always looking for an excuse to go to WDW

We are DVC members and don't get to take advantage of the various promotions that Disney releases (ie: free dining) so when the promo came out this time, we said we were going to do it. We have had a rough year and we needed the escape from reality. Sadly, that did not happen. Reality stayed close by for the whole trip, but I'll get into that later. For me, this was very last minute planning (I think I booked 3 months out). We were going to drive for the first time which scared me. It's an 11 hour drive and with a 4 and 5 year old, I had no idea what to expect We ended up staying at All Star Movies which was a first for us.

This was also going to be a suprise trip for our kids. Since we are so lucky to have gone to WDW so many times, I was always kind of bummed out that I would never be able to surprise my kids with their first trip. But I thought about it and figured, why in the world not?!? So, the deal was that the kids knew we were going, they just had no idea when. We kept playing it off saying things like, "I don't know if we're going to be able to." They had no clue. The plan was to pick up DS from his preschool at noon and then drive over to DD's school and check her out early. We would then surprise them right there in the parking lot! That part, I couldn't wait for

So, here's the itinerary:
-9/21/11 - 9/26/11
-All Star Movies Resort - preferred room
-driving all the way on 9/21!

The cast...

Well, sadly we did not get one family pic taken on this whole trip so I'll have to share a pic with you from our trip in December...

Not too much has changed except that I've probably gained 15lbs

Ok, no onto the title of this TR. It's sad but true, someone did in fact steal one of our strollers. Bad part is, it was a rental, from Magic Strollers. You know, one of those really fancy jogging strollers? Yea, that kind. It was horrible and devastating but thankfully did not happen until day 2 of our trip. Since our trip was only 4 days, that makes it halfway through. Me smart. Anyway, I'll get to the gorey details eventually. Until then, I hope that you follow along and hear alll about our ups and downs of this sometimes not so magical vacation

Last edited by DisneyTiger; 10-12-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Where'sPiglet?
I'm going to try something different this month
Do I LOOK like I know what I'm doing

I'm here!

I'm sorry your trip was not a great one. I know you were trying to get away from it all. I am still interested in hearing about it.

1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013 ~*~ Disneyland

2010 Princess Half Marathon Trip Report
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
DisneyTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sPiglet? View Post
I'm here!

I'm sorry your trip was not a great one. I know you were trying to get away from it all. I am still interested in hearing about it.
Thanks! And really, I don't mean to sound like a total Debbie Downer because we really did have a nice time for the most part. The kids had a blast which is all that really matters
Old 09-27-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
my2disneyboys
DIS Veteran

You know I am here!!! I am so sorry this trip was not what you dreamed it would be. I have had a couple of less than magical trips, but I will always love Disney. I hope you and jason still feel the same!!!

2004-POP . 2007-POR . 2009-POFQ . 2010-POLY . 2011-POFQ . 2011-CBR . 2012-WL and DREAM CRUISE . 2013-BCV 10th Year Anniversary, Vow Renewal Trip! - January 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House - November 2014 -Thanksgiving and turning 40 at Beach Club Villas
Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
sstewart
Earning My Ears

I'm in! So sorry to hear about the stroller incident- Hope the rest of your trip was magical! Can't wait to hear about it!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
DisneyTiger

Ok, I'm going to try and squeeze and update in here before I go to sleep. Not only did I leave Disney with magical memories, I also brought home the flu, I think. I have no voice and feel like I've been run over by a truck! Must, sleep, soon...

Alrighty, so remember this was going to be a surprise for the kids. We woke up on Wednesday morning and got ready for school just like every other day. I had a room mother meeting to go to that morning for 8:30am. It was good because it distracted me. Everything was packed and ready to go so I didn't have much to do except load the car. Everyone at the meeting was looking at me like I was crazy when I walked in! They all knew we were leaving that day and couldn't believe I was there

After the meeting, I went straight to work. I bought some car window paint and wanted to decorate the car before we left. I was so excited about doing this. I knew the kids would love it! So, here's what it ended up looking like...

It took me a few tries but I finally got the Disney font down. I also made a sign with balloons to hang on the inside windowbut I didn't hang that up until we got the kids. I wanted them to come out to the car and open the door to see it!

After I got the car decorated, I headed off to the bank to get some quarters for the pressed penny machines. I totally forgot about doing this and am SO glad I remembered. My kids, especially DS, LOVE doing this! When I was on the road a few people honked at me, I kept looking in my rearview mirror to see what the deal was and then I realized they were honking because they Loved Mickey!!

So that was done and now all I had to do was wait. And wait, and wait, and wait for DH to get home from work. We had to leave my house at 11:45 to pick up DS from school and DH still had to come inside to change. He finally got home at 11:40 Talk about down to the wire!!! I was so anxious and ready to go.

Finally we hit the road and picked up DS. My sweet baby boy didn't even notice the writing on the windows. I had DH read him a new Thomas The Train book to distract him. Worked like a charm.

Finally, we ended up at DD's school and I parked the car out in front. I had DS come in with me to get her so DH could hang the balloon sign on the door. When I saw Aubrey walking down the hallway, she looked so confused! She had no clue why I was checking her out. While I was waiting for her to come, a bunch of the teachers came out to watch. It was their lunch break and they all knew what was going on. So, it was finally time to reveal the big secret! I felt like I was going to EXPLODE!!!

Now, I have a precious video of this that I am eventualy going to post but for some reason, PB is not cooperating tonight. I'll have to put it in a later update. For now, here are a few pics...

There's the sign I was talking about. I put it on her door so that when she opened it, she would see it!

Well, I thought I had more pics but DH was in charge of this. I was more concerned with the video so I let him have picture taking duties.

Anyway, it was great and you will see the video soon. We loaded the kids up and told all of the teachers goodbye and headed down to the church parish activity center. I wanted to take them in their and use the bathrooms to change and potty before we hit the road. We took a few more pics there...

I showed them our "Road Trip Bucket" that I had been loading up with goodies for a few weeks. I was so worried about keeping them occupied. Thank you dollar store!!!

We got in the car and drove past our house to tell my mom goodbye - we live around the corner from the school and my mom lives with us. She wanted to tell the kids goodbye since she couldn't say anything to them that morning. After a few kisses and honks, we were on our way!

One of the many surprises on this trip was some new DS games that I got the kids. After about an hour in the ride, they were getting a bit ancy so I pulled them out. Thomas the Train for Brendan and Hello Kitty for Aubrey...

And that's pretty much it for the big surprise. It was perfect. Couldn't have gone better. I have a few more videos that I want to share once I get them uploaded.

I hope y'all decide to read along. More to come tomorrow!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
DisneyTiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2disneyboys View Post
You know I am here!!! I am so sorry this trip was not what you dreamed it would be. I have had a couple of less than magical trips, but I will always love Disney. I hope you and jason still feel the same!!!
Yay! Thanks for reading along. We really did have a good time for the most part. It was just such a shocker. And yes, we still love Disney. Going back in 4 months!! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstewart View Post
I'm in! So sorry to hear about the stroller incident- Hope the rest of your trip was magical! Can't wait to hear about it!
Thanks for reading along!!! There are lots of magical moments. Just that one bad thing put a damper on the trip for a bit. But we still had a blast
Old 09-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
Staciajc
Earning My Ears

FEEL BETTER ASAP!

I can not wait to see the video!

I've tried to surprse my DS 5, but he's been so many times that th LAST time (over Labor Day) he just shrugged and said, "well, OK - as long as I get to ride Buzz Lightyear and shoot aliens..." Really? That's it?

But I got the last laugh - we didn't even go to MK...went to DHS and did TSM and Star Tours for the first time...NOW I am the BEST MOM EVER!

But seriously - take care of that flu-bug and write when you feel better! REST!!!!!

--Stacia

ME!
DS5

I LOVE BEING IN THE DVC!!
Old 09-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #9
newmommy_2010
Mouseketeer

Love how you surprised the kids. I'm jealous of your AWESOME Disney font on the windows too!!
Can't wait to read more & hope you feel better soon!
Discovery Toys Independent Consultant www.discoverytoyslink.com/ashleysdtoys2011

Old 09-27-2011, 11:40 PM   #10
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Subbing! Love hearing stories of kids being suprised with the trip. We have decided to suprise our kids with a Fall break trip next Oct. They know about our trip next Dec, but have NO idea about our "other trip". Luckily I still have lots of time to figure out the perfect way to tell them.

Cant wait to hear more about your trip
Old 09-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #11
kirrrby
We're all mad here....

Joining in! Sorry you guys had a rough trip. The surprise though seemed like a good part to it! Hope you feel better.
You see?
-Alice in Wonderland

Old 09-28-2011, 12:01 AM   #12
eeyoregon
I have DDD: Disney Destination DISorder

You're kids are adorable!!

Thanks for starting your report...I'm along for the ride. Take care, feel better and post when you can .

Gina
Old 09-28-2011, 07:26 AM   #13
dort
Mouseketeer

I'm along for the ride!!
Can't wait to read more. Hope you're feeling better
Old 09-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #14
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran

signing in...can't wait to follow along...and hope you start to feel better soon!
Connie
Old 09-28-2011, 08:06 AM   #15
Angie1027
Earning My Ears

Aww I hope you feel better!! Can't wait to hear the rest. I love the windows-I was thinking of doing something like that for our trip this Dec. Where can you buy the paint??

Take care!!

Angie

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: