Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #76
Belle599
DIS Veteran

This post is being sponsored by Amazing Husband and Bonus.

I am very, very, VERY excited to announce that I will have the opportunity to
take a quick 5 night trip to Orlando from Monday, December 12 to Saturday, December 17.

Yes in 6 days!!

Whoohoo!!

I have not yet fully decided, but I may do a non-parks trip. Am I crazy?

On my September 2011 trip, there are a lot of non-park things that I just didn't get time to do.

Now that the Xmas decorations are up in the resorts, I can easily spend half a day for at least 3 days visiting the resorts and chillaxing.

Add on top of that Boardwalk, DTD, Celebration, 5 shopping centers, checking out Church St./Lake Eola, fireworks from Poly beach and fireworks from Contemporary and I think my days will be full.

My AP expired in October and I did not do a renewal (I can make out better financially if I buy a 10 day PH/WP&More ticket at a 12% discount from my occupation and upgrade it to a new AP).

I MIGHT crack and get an AP........or maybe just the Xmas party one night?

We will see!!

I'm not sure if I will get another update in before I leave. If not, I will be back later on in December to finish the last couple days of this September 2011 TR off!

Anybody else going to be at WDW Dec 12-17?

Should I try renting a different boat from the dock this time?

:: Aug 2005 CSR :: Aug 2005 AsMu :: Sep 2006 CSR :: Sep 2007 AsMu :: Apr 2008 (Royal Pacific Universal) :: May 2009 Contemporary & Windsor Hills :: May 2010 Windsor Hills :: Oct 2010 offsite & Beach Club Villas :: Dec 2010/Jan 2011 Sheraton Safari & Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort :: May 2011 Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort :: Sep 2011 Old Key West & AsSp :: Dec 2011 Bluegreen The Fountains & Springhill Suites at Seaworld :: Feb 2012 Pop Century :: Jun 2012 Courtyard Marriott Village :: Sep 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village :: Dec 2012 AsMu :: Feb 2013 Encantada :: May 2013 Disneyland! :: June 2013 Hampton Inn South LBV :: Sep 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House & Saratoga Springs Resort :: Dec 2013 Pop Century & AsMu :: Feb 2014 Windsor Hills & AsSp :: Mar 2014 AsSp :: May 2014 Encantada :: Aug 2014 AsSp :: Sep 2014 Disneyland! :: ...and 2 times as a wee one ::
Old 12-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #77
OziJo
Mouseketeer

I missed this update!! You must be on your way by now. If you get a chance to go out to the Fort can you get a couple of piccies of the Christmas decos for me .

Have a great trip!

Wonderful time at Fort wilderness- A mini TR with Pictures

My Jan 2012 PTR. We Are Coming from the Land Down Under!

Jan 2012 WDW Fort Wilderness Cabins DH DD1/18 DD2/15 DD3/13 and Me
2009 Disneyland with DH & DD1,2 & 3; 2001 Disneyland DD1 with her DGma and dance troupe; 1992 Disneyland with DH & DD1 an unknown passenger after our European trip.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #78
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Hi friends!

I had an amazing quickie non-park Orlando December 12-17 trip and stayed at Bluegreen The Fountains and Springhill Suites Seaworld.

I did lots of shopping and resort touring. It was very relaxing.

After a wonderful Christmas, I am back to the daily ho-hums and will be completing this September TR.

On a side note, I saw Beauty and the Beast in 3D last night, including the Tangled Forever After short, which was great! : Anyone else see this?

And now back to our regular scheduled programming....

:: Aug 2005 CSR :: Aug 2005 AsMu :: Sep 2006 CSR :: Sep 2007 AsMu :: Apr 2008 (Royal Pacific Universal) :: May 2009 Contemporary & Windsor Hills :: May 2010 Windsor Hills :: Oct 2010 offsite & Beach Club Villas :: Dec 2010/Jan 2011 Sheraton Safari & Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort :: May 2011 Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort :: Sep 2011 Old Key West & AsSp :: Dec 2011 Bluegreen The Fountains & Springhill Suites at Seaworld :: Feb 2012 Pop Century :: Jun 2012 Courtyard Marriott Village :: Sep 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village :: Dec 2012 AsMu :: Feb 2013 Encantada :: May 2013 Disneyland! :: June 2013 Hampton Inn South LBV :: Sep 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House & Saratoga Springs Resort :: Dec 2013 Pop Century & AsMu :: Feb 2014 Windsor Hills & AsSp :: Mar 2014 AsSp :: May 2014 Encantada :: Aug 2014 AsSp :: Sep 2014 Disneyland! :: ...and 2 times as a wee one ::
Old 01-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #79
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Thursday, September 15, 2011 - continued!

I was spending the day in AK, and it was time to move on to Asia!

I was getting close to lunch time, so the first stop was the Egg Roll Cart aka Bradley Falls Kiosk.

I got the Summer Roll, which is relatively new.

I was very excited for this. It was good, but had far less vegetables and more noodles than I would prefer. The sauce was very spicy. For $2.12 it was good value and I would probably get it again.

Along my journey into Asia, I noticed a small pavillion on the left hand side which seemed to have kids activities (almost like a Kidcot station), and there was a guy playing this amazing percussion instrument.

As a percussionist, I pretty much ran over to him to interrogate him about this instrument.

The CM was from Jakarta, Indonesia and told me that this is a traditional Indonesian instrument called the Angklung and it is made out of bamboo. When I asked him how long he had been playing it, he said "Just for the 3 months since I've been working at Disney."

For those interested, here is a random video of some guy playing a Rhianna tune on the Angklung on TV:
Angklung TV performance of Rhianna's Umbrella

It is a pretty basic percussion instrument, so after a 30 second demo from the nice Indonesian man, he let me play it! It was so fun!

I played When you wish upon a star and then went into A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes.

The CM was really great and gave me a card with maps of Indonesia on it and wrote the name of the instrument on the back so that I would remember it.

Next time I am in the AK, I will be back to play this instrument!!

I finally made it to the Jungle Trek and here is who was out to greet me.

Komodo Dragon

Bats

The tigers were walking around more than usual

Well not all of them

I don't know why, but Banana Tree fascinate me! Whenever I see one I have to take a photo.

Tweet tweet

After the Jungle Trek, I hung out with these guys

Well they were hanging.....I was not

Sorry that was a bad joke!

Ahhhh Everest you are so pretty!

15 minute wait at 12:25, but I went on the single rider line.

Beside the single rider line, there is actually a separate line for front of the train. A mom was in the front of the train line with her 7-year old son and
asked me if I would ride with her son since she did not want to. Sure, why not! The little boy was so cute and was not scared at all. I really enjoyed riding with him but it was scary riding in the front!

After Everest, I considered seeing Nemo The Musical, but the next show wasn't for 1.5 hours and I didn't want to wait.

Instead, I watched The Tropicals. Here is my video of the tail end of The Girl from Ipanema.

The Tropicals @ Disney's Animal Kingdom

I chatted with the guys in the band after that tune and they are so sweet. I am sad that they are no longer performing at AK. I asked them if they took requests and they said that they do. I asked them to play some Yes and the bass player started riffing on Owner of a Lonely Heart lol while the others asked if I would come back tomorrow to hear some Yes. I guess they wanted to go home and learn a tune!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #80
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Thursday, September 15, 2011 - still continued!

I forgot to share a Tiger video with you from my Jungle Trek during my previous post. What huge paws!

Tiger @ Animal Kingdom

It was the end of The Tropicals' set, so onwards to Dinoland we go.

Here is a snap of the most horrible ride in all of WDW. At this time it was closed due to "refurbishment", which was the investigation of the second CM death. So sad. I really hope that WDW removes this "off the rack" ride.

Off to Dinosaur

I enjoy the queue of this ride and the theming

After riding Dinosaur, I passed by the HORRIBLE ride again. There was a CM stationed outside with hula hoops. I guess this is supposed to detract from the fact that it was closed despite the fact that the reopen date had already passed.....

Not much else in Dinoland for me today so I made the trek back to Africa, since it was past 11:30 and that means cupcake time at Kusafiri!

During my journey to Africa, I had to stop and visit these guys.

I saw Devine in her usual spot on the Africa path.

She is incredibly talented and gorgeous!

Opposite from Devine, a CM was leading a group of kids in a jam session - so cute!

Finally I arrived at Kusafiri Bakery, and got my prize! I had wanted the Elephant cupcake FOREVER, but during every trip it was sold out. I have settled for the zebra in the past, but finally I got my treasure!

I only managed to eat half of it, but not a bad value at $4.25. I was definitely missing DH when eating this cupcake!

Next stop, Dawa Bar so that I could ensure that I rounded out my healthy lunch.

The Tam Tams were performing - here is a video:

The Tam Tams performing outside of Tusker House/Dawa Bar

And here is the rest of my lunch.

I hung out in the Dawa Bar area to enjoy my Raspberry Pina Colada. There is so much to look at!

After hanging around for a bit and enjoying the scenery, I did some shopping. I purchased a large 16x20 Larry Dotson print of AKís Discovery River. It is gorgeous! This was my major souvenir purchase for this trip.
I also purchased my first Car Antenna ornament (what do you call these things?)

It was time to leave AK. I stopped by the Formosa Gardens Target to pick up a few things. We donít have Target in Canada at this time (we will in about 15 months!!!) and I love Target. So while most people donít make Target a stop on vacation, I usually do hehe.

I also drove around and explored some neighbourhoods which typically have vacation rentals. Research for future trips with the family. Wow there are a lot of apparent foreclosure homes in the Formosa Gardens area.
It was well past 4pm at this point, so I headed back to Old Key West for a break.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #81
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

So you say Devine is usually in the trail area? I've only gone to AK once, and we didn't see her, but I'm planning on it for EMH on Wednesday this week so I'll try and search her out. She takes lovely pictures.

Is that elephant on the cupcake edible? I've never seen that either! But it's HUGE!

Also, I think they just call those things "antenna toppers" - I always want to buy a couple, but there are a lot of thieves around here, and every time I've come home with one someone steals it within 2 or 3 days. Seems like such a waste to purchase them and then have them stolen immediately. But I wish I could have them. Maybe if I put super glue on the inside or something....

Going on my first solo trip tomorrow, weather permitting. I hope I see some of the things I've read about on your TR!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #82
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
So you say Devine is usually in the trail area? I've only gone to AK once, and we didn't see her, but I'm planning on it for EMH on Wednesday this week so I'll try and search her out. She takes lovely pictures.

Is that elephant on the cupcake edible? I've never seen that either! But it's HUGE!

Also, I think they just call those things "antenna toppers" - I always want to buy a couple, but there are a lot of thieves around here, and every time I've come home with one someone steals it within 2 or 3 days. Seems like such a waste to purchase them and then have them stolen immediately. But I wish I could have them. Maybe if I put super glue on the inside or something....

Going on my first solo trip tomorrow, weather permitting. I hope I see some of the things I've read about on your TR!
Hey there,

HAHA Thank you so much for the phrase "antenna toppers"! When I was writing the last installment, I was thinking "I know these have name, but I just can't think of it!" Now that you have written antenna toppers I have no idea how I could not think of that. Thank you!

That is too bad that people steal your antenna toppers. It has been 4 months and I am very lucky that mine is still on my car. I am crossing my fingers! One or two spots of sparkle have come off. When going through the car wash, I always forget about it, but luckily the nice carwash men always take it off for me and hand it to me.

Whenever I have seen Devine, it has been on the pathway from Africa to Asia. Enter Africa and walk in the direction towards the safari. Take a right at the path that goes to Asia, and she is usually just past the small drum area on the right. Hope that makes sense.
Are you doing morning or evening EMH at AK? I have always wanted to do evening EMH just to see how the park looks in the dark.

Yes, the Elephant is edible. It is almost like a chocolate lollypop on a stick with the cupcake around the stick. It is made out of some sugary substance with the consistency of white chocolate - however it does not taste nearly as good as white chocolate. I bit the ears off - because well ya just gotta bite the ears off! That was all I ate of the elephant though...

Hope you are enjoying your solo trip!!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #83
Belle599
DIS Veteran

September 15, 2011 - Finale

When I left off, I was back at Old Key West for some relaxation before the night's adventure.

I had leftover Pei Wei pad thai for dinner and did a bit of tidying in my room since I was moving from OKW to All Star Sports the next day.

I lay out in the sun by the pool and finished up a magazine.

This is why I LOVE OKW, because it is so serene and chill.

I put my feet and legs in the hot tub for a bit as well, since they were a bit tired from all the walking today.

After I was well-rested and ready for more adventure, I had to head over to the America pavillion at Epcot to exchange my Orange Bird Tshirt. I had purchased medium several days ago but upon further inspection, these were junior sizes so I needed to get a large.

Here is my shirt:

I parked at the Beach Club since I wanted to keep this exchange as quick as possible so I parked as close as possible.

I speed-walked over to the America Pavillion, grabbed the size large and I knew I would be back at my car in less than 15 minutes.

Nope.

Here is where everything went downhill.

It took over 20 minutes, 2 CMs and 3 Disney managers to do this exchange!!

Apparently, when I purchased the original size medium shirt the CM rang it in as tax exempt by accident. Because of this, they had quite a lot of trouble trying to exchange for the different size in the system. Ugh.

So much for my quick in and out of the park. It was already past 8pm and I was hungry, so I stopped at the Boulangerie Patissiere for a strawberry tart - $4.21.

It was a busy night at Epcot and I waited in a 10 minute line for this - but it was worth it!

The fountain in France is very pretty at night.

Then back through the Beach Club Villas and out to the car.

I`ve said it before, and I`ll say it again - the Beach Club smells sooooo good!!

Finally got to the car at 9pm. To Downtown Disney!

Ahhh Pleasure Island I miss you.

I was browsing in Curl by Sammy Duvall and found a really cute necklace there! Way better quality than the cheapo necklaces in most Disney gift shops. There are some cute items here!

Almost all of the PI-backstory plaques had been removed.

There are always tons of people watching these guys play.

I checked out the new Apricot Lane Boutique. It could be good, but in its current form it`s not. Overpriced, and worst of all, very cluttered merchandising. Everything is jam-packed on racks so its not easy to see what they have to offer.

When walking beside Cookes of Dublin, I saw the keyboardist from British Revolution walking by.

There was some work being done outside the Lego store.

My next stop was World of Disney, where I purchased my new niece a Winnie the Pooh plush.

I love walking around DTD at night, it always brings a smile to my face.

I detoured throught Ghiradelli`s, and for the FIRST TIME EVER there was no CM handing out chocolate samples! I`m sure they were just on break.

Walking through Team Mickey, I collected the final Orange Bird pin that I have been looking for!!

In Tren-D there was nothing new that caught my eye.

I walked through the rest of the Marketplace and the only other purchase I made was to buy another Florida Sunshine salt blend from the Spice & Tea Exchange (we were running low!)

I LOVE the Spice & Tea Exchange and let me tell you it is very very easy to spend a lot in there!

It was 11pm and time to walk back to Westside which is where I parked.

I passed an empty mannequins......

Only 2 days left in WDW!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #84
walkdmc

DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the great info and pics. I am subbing since I'll be taking my first semi-solo trip in June. (DH will be there but attending conferences during the days).

Your TR is getting me pumped to visit!!!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #85
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkdmc View Post
Thanks for all the great info and pics. I am subbing since I'll be taking my first semi-solo trip in June. (DH will be there but attending conferences during the days).

Your TR is getting me pumped to visit!!!

Semi-solo sounds great! You can do your thing during the day and then meet up for dinner, perfect!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #86
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Friday, September 16, 2011

This morning I woke up early (for me), got ready and packed my bags. I was transferring to All-Star Sports from OKW.

I finished packing just before 9am and threw my bags in the back of the SUV.

I was off to MK for my last full day. Tomorrow I will be flying home on a evening flight.

Every time I park in a Disney lot, I must take a photo of my row. I know if I don't I will never make it back to my car!

MK was decked out for Halloween.

Including some nice seasonal decor and costumes on the trolley.

Disney has such beautiful horses.

I had to watch the show.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day outside, and I intended to spend as much time as possible outside, basking in the Florida sun.

Haven't dined at the Crystal Palace for a long time. There is still always a line outside.

Into the jungle I go.

Actually, into Adventureland I go.

I peeked into the waiting area to meet Tink and the Fairies. The waiting area wasn't very themed.

Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse was under refurb with some ugly walls surrounding it.

I saw 3 imagineers outside the Treehouse and they were discussing how there are plenty of people who wanted to do work for them, but either the quality or the price wasn't right. Yes I was eavesdropping. How rude of me!

It was before 10am so this particular store beside the magic carpets was not open yet.

Today was nice and warm, so I started my daily WDW junk food diet with an iced coffee from Sunshine Tree Terrace - yum! $4.25 with tax, decent value.

Here is one of the first Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom kiosks.

One of my favourites is next - BTMR.

I've taken to snapping photos while riding this one. Here is a distant castle.

Haunted Mansion and the Tom Sawyer's Island bridge.

The peak

And here's Splash.

And the ever-changing menu of Golden Oak Outpost.

10 O'Clock!

To be continued....with lots o' photos....

Old 02-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #87
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Friday, September 16, 2011 - Part 2

Yo ho ho it was time to ride Pirates!

As an amateur photographer that has no idea what she is doing (at least I'm honest!) Pirates is always challening to photograph.

So I thought I would start easy, and get a handle on snapping the queue.

Ok now time to hop on my pirate ship!

There is Blackbeard

Over Summer 2011, Disney added some new effects to the first scene of Pirates. I had actually totally forgot about this prior to my trip, so was not looking for any new effects. However, when in the first room, I definitely noticed the new effects! There is tons of smoke from the gunfire, and way more cannon balls splashing in the water. I even got a teeny bit wet.

Not bad, but kind of dark. There was a bit of a traffic jam prior to departure, but it didn't last long.

After the ride, I watched a bit of the Captain Jack show (had already seen the full who on a previous trip).

As I often do, I grabbed a glass of ice water. This time it was from Pecos Bills. This was the only time on my trip that I was served in a Halloween cup! It was only September 16 hehe.

Now, on to see my refurbished Tiki Birds - very exciting!

The pre-show which occurs while in the queue.

Queue decor

And the pre-show begins.

Everything inside the Tiki Room looked so fresh and new. The birds looked so fluffy and their colours were so vivid!!

On to the Jungle Cruise where I used my FP.

I love the details in the queue.

Well this hippo was quite hungry

The PA system on the jungle cruise has been vastly improved over the past few years. It used to be more difficult to understand what the skipper was saying.

All I had consumed was that Iced Coffee, and while it was quite filling (I can tell that it was full of cream and was quite bad for me), now it was 11:30am and I was ready for some real food.

My default meal at MK, cannot go wrong with a Cinnamon Roll from Main Street Bakery! Oh I am craving one right now!!

An incredible value at $3.93 as this roll is huge.

Dream along with Mickey

See that door? That's my balcony to wave to my loyal subjects....errrrrr

This, IMHO, is the best clock in all of WDW. It was 11:45 am as you can see.

Ahhh, home sweet home.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #88
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Ooooohh, the cinnamon roll from the Main Street Bakery is amazing! I'm always amazed by the size of it.

Fun morning so far. Pirates always gives me problems photographing it too. Stupid low lighting!
Old 02-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #89
OziJo
Mouseketeer

Oooo Beautiful Magic Kingdom at Halloween!! And your DTD photos and descriptions almost make up for the fact that we didn't get there

Also BTMR wasn't operating when we were there so thanks for those photos too. Your Pirate photos are great. We got a few though we need more practice with our camera to get the right settings.

We had a delicious cinnamon roll in DHS. Don't know if it was the same as yours. Oh I miss the food at WDW...

Wonderful time at Fort wilderness- A mini TR with Pictures

My Jan 2012 PTR. We Are Coming from the Land Down Under!

Jan 2012 WDW Fort Wilderness Cabins DH DD1/18 DD2/15 DD3/13 and Me
2009 Disneyland with DH & DD1,2 & 3; 2001 Disneyland DD1 with her DGma and dance troupe; 1992 Disneyland with DH & DD1 an unknown passenger after our European trip.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #90
Belle599
DIS Veteran

Friday, September 16, 2011 - Part 3

I walked around the castle, onwards to Fantasyland.

Passing the wishing well.

That pesky crane in the Fantasyland construction greeted me.

Looking past the Speedway, onto what will become part of the new Dumbo.

Construction workers aplenty.

Now onto the good stuff!

Since I had a light brunch with the cinnamon roll (I'm still drooling thinking about it...mmmm....), it was safe to ride the Teacups!

5 minute wait just before noon, nice!

Next attraction - Prince Charming's Regal Carrousel.

View from my horse.

It was time to venture across the water......to Tom Sawyer's Island.

But first, a snap of the Haunted Mansion.

Let's board raft to take me to the island.

Made it to the island!

I think this is a mill.

Ok folks, here is one of my "secret" relaxation spots. Even on a CRAZY day at MK, you will find it relaxing here.

I think this spot on Tom Sawyer's Island has the most rocking chairs in one place in all of MK.

I am a huuuge fan of rocking away on my chair at MK and watching the clouds float by.

Or in my case on this day, watching the steamboat pass by.

This is the only location in all of MK that I am aware of that has more than 2 rocking chairs in one place.

When you arrive on the Island, turn right and take that path going towards the Haunted Mansion.

Enjoy!

After I was all rocked out, I started to explore the pathways.

A nice play area for kids at the top of the hill. If your kids need to burn off some energy, take them to the Island!

Lots of pretty streams and vegetation.

Crossing a bridge

Haunted Mansion queue

Choo choo!

The Liberty Belle passing by again.

On the BTMR side of the island, there are a couple of rocking chairs as well.

Here I am in the Fort.

There are also caves to explore. Is it just me, or does this look like two ghosty faces?

Couple more rocking chairs.

To be continued...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: