Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 12:24 AM   #1
civileng68
That May scare the poopy out of me...

Here now: My observations, MNSSHP, Gripes, Likes.

Let me first apologize to those of you who hate long posts, but this is written for those who really like all the details in one post.

We arrived over the weekend during the heavy rains, and are staying until Sunday. This post is directed to help those who are looking to come to MNSSHP, and
some things I've noticed in person vs. some of the things I have been reading here on the boards from previous experiences.

First off, Sunday we avoided parks due to the weather. So that night we went to the Contemporary Resort and watched Wishes from the 4th floor balcony. Great view. Great sound. Only disappointment is that they dont pipe in the music from the "Magic, Memories and You" show prior to Wishes. It was quite windy but they still did the show and it was nice from that view, as always.

Monday 10/10 we went to MNSSHP. Now, to start, we had heard nightmare stories about the monorail. Some say it runs during the party some say it doesnt. I was determined to find out for myself and find out why there seemed to be conflicting stories. When we arrived in the park we went to get a wheelchair for my father who was attending his first party. On a side note, my father is handicap, and simply cannot stand for any length of time, so we parked at the contemporary with hopes we could avoid any of the "madness" from the lack of monorail service (if that was the case) and forced use of buses/ferry. We checked in at the wheelchair area, and happened to see a very nice supervisor. I asked about the monorail and she sort of half smiled/half grimmaced. She then said "the monorail is closing tonight at 8pm". I told her "no need to worry, I already figured, I wanted to confirm". She stated that there had been alot of complaints. I told her my dad simply could not handle the waiting/standing so we parked at contemporary. She gave us the wheelchair for free due to our inconvenience, and told us we could take the MK wheelchair to the Contemporary (walking, me pushing my dad) after park closing. It really did release alot of worry but, if I were parking in the TTC parking lot, I will tell you, I would have some MAJOR concerns. .................................................. .............................................First of all here's some of the confusion. We left at 12:15am, and sure enough the monorails WERE RUNNING, BUT, not with people. they WERE NOT servicing the party-goers. They were running as if truly being serviced or monitored. It almost poured salt in the wound for many waiting for the ferry. The ferry service was simply overloaded. One ferry left and the line was not TOO FAR away from the exit gates of MK, and even worse, the next Ferry wasnt halfway across the lagoon yet. Clearly it "seemed" as though it would take all night for the attendees to get back to the TTC. Unfortunately I also have worse news for future goers in saying that THIS party was not even very crowded. I'd hate to see it during a crowded party.

As for the party itself. Here's my take. First off, WDW staff has done an amazing job at fixing the problem of non-party payers staying for the party. This used to be an issue from my personal experience. However, while eating at Cosmic Rays, we noticed a staff member come over to some of those who were eating without bands (7:05pm) and did ask them to leave, then took notes (not sure of what) about the conversation. We did see this in various locations and a great effort to keep non-payers out. It would have even been tough to try to "blend" in with the crowds.

The party itself was not overly crowded. Peter Pan 10 mins wait, most rides were walk-on after the fireworks. Its almost a party of two parties. Before the fireworks the party is pretty busy, lines are long, but after the fireworks it really thins out. However, I was surprised to see how many people "stick it out". We also were disappointed with the amount of candy given out, even late.

We heard horror stories of people saying character lines were very long. I really think it all depends on which night you choose. On Monday night most character lines were no longer than 15 people.

The park had lots of fog around POTC and HM. HM was actually pretty busy, but man, talk about some fog. The POTC area was fogged up like crazy! It was cool!

Overall we liked the party. The fireworks and parade are phenominal. Aside from that it just seems like an EMH to me. The candy really wasnt that impressive and overall it seemed cool but not something overly different from an EMH.

Epcot was nice today. Reasonable crowds. Beautiful night. Food and Wine festival is going on. Billy Ocean performed tonight to a nice crowd. I personally dont know much of Mr. Ocean but have heard most of his songs over the radio over the years and must say for a man who looks to be in his 60's, his voice sounds as it did the day he recorded his songs. I was very impressed with his performance.

F&W is cool. I personally like it and wish it was year around. I often find that WS doesnt have alot of quick, quality food options and F&W really provides that, albeit severely overpriced. If I had a knock on it, aside from the price of samples, its that many of the booths take up space along the fence of the WS Lagoon and limits viewing space for Illuminations.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly..............something I have to mention. I rarely see my parents. They live far away and while I go to WDW often due to living near it, my parents never go. My point is, I never really experience the wheelchair side of the aisle. I have now witnessed the stroller side as a parent. I used to complain all the time about wheelchair(ers) and stoller pushers. I must defend them here though. I see alot of posts against them and must say this......................

Some at WDW are the most rude and impatient people on earth. While I often see complaints about wheelchair users (and while much of it may be warranted), you wouldnt believe how many people have no respect for someone in a chair, and just cut in front of them, and then look back at them if you nip their heels. People tend to give those in wheelchairs no personal space or respect of space as those on their feet. My dad was constantly starting and stopping because he simply was given no respect by those on their feet and not allowed to move forward. At one point, I was pushing my stroller, a woman cut me off, I stopped, about hit her, and she looks back and laughs and says "another stroller pusher" as if to say I was the problem, when she absolutely walked right in front of my stroller.

Anyways, having a great time but had to defend the wheelchair(ers) and stroller pushers for a moment and had to clarify MNSSHP.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #2
Finally08
DIS Veteran

Here here on much of what you said....especially about wheelchairs and strollers. I am a stroller pusher for many trips and the people who will step over you (literally, like almost hit my dd with their heels as they hop over) or stop short then cause you to jam them is nuts.
But hey, that's just another flame war ready to ignite, right?

Anyway we were also at the party Monday and the crowds were GREAT compared to the previous Thursday & Friday. It really was an awesome night, and was a perfect way to end our trip since we just home a little while ago.

My only disagreement is the situation with handling regular day folks when the party starts. We were in Town Hall for the beginning of each party we attended (got in princess lines around 6 each night) and Monday was the WORST in CMs not knowing what was going on from one end to the next. They allowed so many regular day guests into the princess line up until almost 7 so that when the party started they all remained, and those of us waiting an hour (who had been at the front of the line) were then piled in behind them. And it was a good bit of people...I'd say 50 or so. We were second in line of party guests waiting for the 7pm arrival of the princesses and didn't exit until 7:45...and all those people who did not buy party tickets were in the same rooms as party goers meeting the special party characters. Frustrating.
Nov 2008 - With Twilight friends in DisneylandMay 2009 - The family returns to WDW! Contemporary
June 2009 - Girls dance trip / All Star MoviesFeb 14-21 2010 Wilderness Lodge Nov 18-27 2010 Pop Century - just me and my girlMay 18-31 2011 Pop Century - just me and my girl, aka "the queen of the kingdom"October 2011 - Family Halloween fun!!Nov. 26-30 '11 trip to visit Flynn!Dec 28- Jan 8 '12 NYE Madness
Sept 27-Oct 2 2012 - Enchanted MNSSHP
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #3
Niebz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally08 View Post
Here here on much of what you said....especially about wheelchairs and strollers. I am a stroller pusher for many trips and the people who will step over you (literally, like almost hit my dd with their heels as they hop over) or stop short then cause you to jam them is nuts.
But hey, that's just another flame war ready to ignite, right?

Anyway we were also at the party Monday and the crowds were GREAT compared to the previous Thursday & Friday. It really was an awesome night, and was a perfect way to end our trip since we just home a little while ago.

My only disagreement is the situation with handling regular day folks when the party starts. We were in Town Hall for the beginning of each party we attended (got in princess lines around 6 each night) and Monday was the WORST in CMs not knowing what was going on from one end to the next. They allowed so many regular day guests into the princess line up until almost 7 so that when the party started they all remained, and those of us waiting an hour (who had been at the front of the line) were then piled in behind them. And it was a good bit of people...I'd say 50 or so. We were second in line of party guests waiting for the 7pm arrival of the princesses and didn't exit until 7:45...and all those people who did not buy party tickets were in the same rooms as party goers meeting the special party characters. Frustrating.

We were first in line for the princes and princesses that Monday night (baby prince charming if you remember us) and it was crazy. We had one cast member tell us there were no princes among many others who didn't know what was going on. For anyone wanting to meet princes and princesses it might just be worth going later to avoid having to wait behind 50 or more people, most of whom didn't even have wristbands that were still able to meet the characters that were supposed to be party exclusive before us. It was the only disappointing part of the whole party though as the rest of our experience was amazing - fireworks, parade and atmosphere were all spectacular.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
TLinden16
Scotty and Ray at Jellyrolls RULE!!! *poke* *poke*
Operating under the influence of Colin Farrell's eyes

I'm going to move this to our trip report board.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
civileng68
That May scare the poopy out of me...

I agree with you guys, let me clarify, since we had the exact same situation with rides. Right around 7, we noticed the lines for nearly everything getting significantly longer, and very quickly. We soon realized that everyone NOT attending the party wanted their spot before the 7pm hour hit so they could stick around for that last hoorah. However, I'd say around 9pm, the lines to nearly everything were significantly diminished. By 10, lines were nearly non-existent.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Finally08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niebz View Post
We were first in line for the princes and princesses that Monday night (baby prince charming if you remember us) and it was crazy. We had one cast member tell us there were no princes among many others who didn't know what was going on. For anyone wanting to meet princes and princesses it might just be worth going later to avoid having to wait behind 50 or more people, most of whom didn't even have wristbands that were still able to meet the characters that were supposed to be party exclusive before us. It was the only disappointing part of the whole party though as the rest of our experience was amazing - fireworks, parade and atmosphere were all spectacular.
Hey again!! Please post some photos of your little ones, I just LOVED that costume you made for your baby boy!
I so wished we could have gone into the same room because I was looking forward to seeing Cinderella's reaction to him, but we all got separated. It was odd...the line was never moved that way at the other parties. I think they were on damage control.
Nov 2008 - With Twilight friends in DisneylandMay 2009 - The family returns to WDW! Contemporary
June 2009 - Girls dance trip / All Star MoviesFeb 14-21 2010 Wilderness Lodge Nov 18-27 2010 Pop Century - just me and my girlMay 18-31 2011 Pop Century - just me and my girl, aka "the queen of the kingdom"October 2011 - Family Halloween fun!!Nov. 26-30 '11 trip to visit Flynn!Dec 28- Jan 8 '12 NYE Madness
Sept 27-Oct 2 2012 - Enchanted MNSSHP

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: