Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
lbklyn
DIS Veteran

Emerald Island Resort

We stayed at Windsor Hills in 2008 and the house was very nice with a lake view in the back. We never used the pool at the clubhouse because we were thrilled with the pool at the house. We are staying in a large home in Emerald Island in November and I am SO excited. I have heard good things about EI but have to wonder WHY it barely gets mentioned and Windsor Hills is always being discussed as such a great resort. I know WH's is newer but the thing that struck me when there was such a lack of trees and greenery. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED WH's but am wondering what makes it better than EI if anything? Is there any major differences I should be aware of?
lbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #2
sympatico
DIS Veteran

Why Windsor Hills gets mentioned more is as you said because it's newer, has a zero entry huge pool with waterslide, along with the mini movie theatre and other amenities that are especially good for those in the condos and townhouses. When we stay in a pool home, like you, we never use the clubhouse pool at all.
Emerald Island used to be the one to stay at before Windsor Hills. It has lots of landscaping and greenery and a great looking entry area. We like both subdivisions equally.
Lindfields: twice, Lake Davenport, Venice hotel,Oak Plantation, St. Pete's Beach Hilton, Wyndham Cypress Palms, Pink Shell Fort Myers Beach, Liki Tiki Village, Grand Reserve, Rotonda Lakes near Port Charlotte,Windsor Hills: 5 times, Indian Creek (twice), Emerald Island (4 times), Reunion Resort (twice) Sunset Lakes, Crestwynd Bay, Briarwood in Naples
sympatico is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
lbklyn
DIS Veteran

Thanks Wanda! I really am so excited! I picked the house and resort and hopeing everyone is going to be happy with it! My Son has a very sarcastic wit and when he entered first into the house in Windsor Hills he turns to all of us still outside and says with a very serious voice "I am sorry to say it is a DUMP!" My heart sank! But he was joking (Thank Goodness!) and everyone agreed it was Gorgeous! Hopeing for the same this time. I am probably going to start a new thread with this next question but you seem to know your stuff with vacation rentals so I will ask you first. We have a van from Fla Tours picking us up at airport with a free half hour stop at a grocery store. Would you know of the best place to stop? Looking for good selection, decent prices, beer and wine also! Has to be on the way to EI.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
sympatico
DIS Veteran

There's a SuperWalmart on 535 on the way from the airport and just down the road on the corner of 192 there's a Publix Supermarket. I don't know about the wine and beer at Walmart but I think Publix has. There are lots of Publix stores in the area and this would have the biggest variety. On the map there are a couple on the way from the airport #135 and #146
map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...5,0.11055&z=13
Will you have a rental car while at Emerald Island? I wouldn't stay at any subdivision without one.
Lindfields: twice, Lake Davenport, Venice hotel,Oak Plantation, St. Pete's Beach Hilton, Wyndham Cypress Palms, Pink Shell Fort Myers Beach, Liki Tiki Village, Grand Reserve, Rotonda Lakes near Port Charlotte,Windsor Hills: 5 times, Indian Creek (twice), Emerald Island (4 times), Reunion Resort (twice) Sunset Lakes, Crestwynd Bay, Briarwood in Naples

Last edited by sympatico; 09-25-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
lbklyn
DIS Veteran

No unfortunatly we will not have a car. We rented a 8 passenger SUV when in Windsor Hill's and it did make things alot easier, but since we had one driver who ended up sick most of the time we had to use car services alot anyway. We will be spending a few days just at the house so we will use the shuttles they have as much as possible but there are 2 days when my Mom will be coming with us and we will definitely need to call Mears or whichever one is affiliated with EI. I know it will be a hassle but we are ready for it (I think).
Old 09-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
sympatico
DIS Veteran

Emerald Island also has a Tiki Bar by the pool at the clubhouse. It has drinks and a few menu items available. There's also a few activities going on at the clubhouse so check in there and get a schedule. Hope you have a great time.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
CattailGal
Mouseketeer

Does WH have a tiki bar? Is EMerald Island much farther than WH from Disney?

KC
CattailGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
isla bonita
DIS Veteran

This is some info on the shuttle service.

Main Gate Transportation
Taxi Service
407-390-0000 ext.3
cost per person round trip to Disney $11.00, To Universal is $15.00PP
depart EIR 9:35, 11:55 to Disney
return EIR 5:00, 8:00, 10:15
depart EIR 8:25 10:50 to Universal
return EIR 5:15, 7:15
return EIR 5:00, 8:00, 10:15

Please ask about times they change every month.

I am pretty familiar with EIR if you have any specific questions.
"I'm just your average ordinary everyday super hero"
"If sense were commom more people would have it"
isla bonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
sympatico
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CattailGal View Post
Does WH have a tiki bar? Is EMerald Island much farther than WH from Disney?

KC
I think there's some type of bar in the sundry shop at the clubhouse at WH. It just opened this spring. Emerald Island's tiki bar is beside the community pool. It may take you an extra minute to get to Disney from EmIs.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #10
KayR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbklyn View Post
No unfortunatly we will not have a car. We rented a 8 passenger SUV when in Windsor Hill's and it did make things alot easier, but since we had one driver who ended up sick most of the time we had to use car services alot anyway. We will be spending a few days just at the house so we will use the shuttles they have as much as possible but there are 2 days when my Mom will be coming with us and we will definitely need to call Mears or whichever one is affiliated with EI. I know it will be a hassle but we are ready for it (I think).
I don't know how many of you there are, but you may be able to organize a private shuttle for your family group for less than paying for the individual shuttle tickets. Contact Maingate Transportation and ask. They should then also be able to pick you up at the home rather than at the clubhouse.

Also groceries, there are companies that will deliver groceries to you. GardenGrocer.com is one and WeGoShop.com is another.

HTH

--Kay

Previous Trips
September 2013: Windsor Palms Resort, 23rd July: Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean, 2nd Jan 2011: The Manor at Emerald Island, Disney Wonder Panama Canal Repositioning Cruise, Worldmark Anaheim / Sep 12th 2009 DCL Eastern with Tortola Sep 5th 2009 One week at Avalon at Windsor Palms, April 12th 2009 One week at Disneyland, California / Aug 28th 2008 5 nights at Disneyland, California / Jan 26th 2008 Windsor Palms Resort (Avalon) / Jan 19th 2008 DCL Eastern / Jan 16th 2008 Emerald Island Resort (The Manor) / Apr 4th 2007 One night at CBR then 2 weeks at Emerald Island Resort (The Manor) / Aug 16th 2006 Emerald Island Resort (The Manor)
KayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
lbklyn
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for the very much needed info. The shuttle times are actually better than I thought they would be. Yes on the days we are using a car service we would need to have a van and be picked up from the house. Going to call to see what their prices are. Can't wait and again thank you all so much!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
lbklyn
DIS Veteran

Oh also we are using Fla Tours (unless anyone has had a bad experience with them, please let me know!) to get round trip to EIR and back to airport with half hour free stop at grocery store for $160.00. There will be seven of us plus my Mom who has a transport chair. I figured with the amount of people and the chair and luggage that did not sound to bad for a round trip. We will go to a publix and are assigning isles in the store to everyone. Food, snacks, beer and wine! We are telling my sister she has to stay in the car because she takes half an hour just to get milk!