Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
pittsburghmom
Mouseketeer

Question about Tamron Lenses

Yes, I am still agonizing about lens choice to go along with my (soon to be Canon 60D) camera. I am torn between several options: Canon f1.8 50mm, Canon EF-S 17-55 f.2.8 IS USM or the Tamron 17-50 f2.8....

I am seeing 2 versions of the Tamron lens on Amazon....one with VC (vibration control) and the one without. I understand the VC is the equivalent of IS, but the one without is currently much less expensive. Does anyone have either one of the mentioned Tamron lenses? How do you like them? Do you have the VC or non-VC version? do you wish you would have sprung for the pricier Canon lens? Thanks!!

Me DH DS (8) DS (4) DD (1)

DL 1998, DL 1999, DL 2010, WDW 2013 POP Century, WDW 2014 here we come!!
pittsburghmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
SkaGoat
Mouseketeer

I have the non-vc version on my Canon 7D. It's great, if I had the cash I'd probably get the Canon (it's focusing motor is sooo much better than the Tamron's), but the Tamron is worth a lot more than they charge for it.

I don't shoot in situations where the IS would benefit me a whole lot.
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

The consensus in reviews I've read is that the non-VC version of the Tamron is a little bit sharper. That's the only version I've used of this lens so I can't back that up with personal experience. The non-VC version is a solid lens. Although if I had the budget I'd go for the Canon 17-55 f/2.8. It may not have the L series branding but it's L series quality glass and worth the money for crop shooters if you can afford it. It's one of those lenses that you'll get and never be longing for more as far as a standard zoom on a crop camera goes. One more consideration, and I've not had my hands on this one, is the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. It's got a more limited focal range but f/1.8 in a zoom is very tempting and I've heard really great things about it.

Finally graduated. Woooo! To graduate school, and beyond!

Last edited by photo_chick; 06-21-2014 at 12:55 PM.
photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
pittsburghmom
Mouseketeer

Thank you for the input. Here is what I am seeing on Amazon. All the abbreviations are intimidating. The one that is 41% off right now is very attractive, but I'm unsure, besides the non-VC, what the differences are

Choice #1 : http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-17-50mm...on+17-50+canon

Choice #2: http://www.amazon.com/AF-17-50mm-2-8...on+17-50+canon

Choice #3: http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-17-50mm...on+17-50+canon

Me DH DS (8) DS (4) DD (1)

DL 1998, DL 1999, DL 2010, WDW 2013 POP Century, WDW 2014 here we come!!
pittsburghmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
The consensus in reviews I've read is that the non-VC version of the Tamron is a little bit sharper. That's the only version I've used of this lens so I can't back that up with personal experience. The non-VC version is a solid lens. Although if I had the budget I'd go for the Canon 17-55 f/2.8. It may not have the L series branding but it's L series quality glass and worth the money for crop shooters if you can afford it. It's one of those lenses that you'll get and never be longing for more as far as a standard zoom on a crop camera goes. One more consideration, and I've not had my hands on this one, is the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8. It's got a more limited focal range but f/1.8 in a zoom is very tempting and I've heard really great things about it.
I absolutely concur with all of this.

I toiled over which of these 3 lenses to get. I too heard that the Tamron non-VC version was sharper. Which was a problem since I have unsteady hands and really wanted stabilization.

One other thing I heard was that the AF on the Tamron lens was very loud. Once I listened to it on youtube, I knew it wasn't for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHxhJCY31FY

Ultimately I decided that I was tired of buying lenses only to decide months later that I wished I had waited and gotten what I really wanted. I got the Canon version 4 years ago and haven't looked back. I have never regretted the extra cost. It's on my camera 95% of the time, so definitely worth the investment. If you look trough any of the trip reports linked in my signature, the vast majority of those photos were taken with that Canon lens.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #6
firemanchip
Earning My Ears

I`ve been using the Tamron 17-50, 2.8( non VC ) for about a year now and I really like the results I get. I just upgraded to A 70D and also ordered the Sigma 18-35, 1.8. I got the camera already but the lens is on back-order. The plan is to replace the Tamron lens with the Sigma. I`m going to hold on to the Tamron just in case though.
firemanchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghmom View Post
Thank you for the input. Here is what I am seeing on Amazon. All the abbreviations are intimidating. The one that is 41% off right now is very attractive, but I'm unsure, besides the non-VC, what the differences are

Choice #1 : http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-17-50mm...on+17-50+canon

Choice #2: http://www.amazon.com/AF-17-50mm-2-8...on+17-50+canon

Choice #3: http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-17-50mm...on+17-50+canon
the first two are the non-vc version of the Tamron 17-50 which is good but if you need image stabilization look at the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS HSM - cost a little more but it gets great reviews. Or hold off until you learn more, the Tamron 17-50 used frequently sells for $200 - $250 on POTN.

Canon 60D
Tamron 17-50 2.8 non-vc
f2.8
ISO 2500

Last edited by bob100; 06-22-2014 at 01:31 PM.
bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #8
Luvscrappin
Mouseketeer

I agree...if you can swing it then go for the canon. I purchased this last year and I love it! It takes pictures that are as good as any glass lens I have rented. It's also on my camera 95% of the time.. You won't regret it!

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...9fkeexc7sx.png

Luvscrappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #9
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I bought the Tamron non-IS version for the DW to replace her kit lens. We shoot Pentax and therefore didn't need the IS. As far as I'm concerned its a winner. Here is a photo taken by my DGD using the lens on her Pentax K30 shooting through glass of an Ariel statuette.

Ariel G 0803 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

This lens is on her camera 90% of the time and is used for everything from shooting portraits to racecars. I have never heard any excessive focusing motor noise. Just my experience.

Last edited by Gianna'sPapa; 06-22-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:18 PM   #10
SkaGoat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
I have never heard any excessive focusing motor noise. Just may experience.
I'm pretty sure the Pentax version of this lens uses the motor built into the Pentax's body, Canon cameras don't have motors in the bodies, they rely on motors in the lens (it's generally faster), this lens is loud, but that really only matters if you plan on doing video.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaGoat View Post
I'm pretty sure the Pentax version of this lens uses the motor built into the Pentax's body, Canon cameras don't have motors in the bodies, they rely on motors in the lens (it's generally faster), this lens is loud, but that really only matters if you plan on doing video.
More than likely.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaGoat View Post
.......or have kids who scatter to the wind at the first sound coming from a camera.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: