Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
DisneyLoverUSA
DIS Veteran

Question Educational letter for school excuse/taking the kids out of school

I have seen several threads on here where ppl were asking about or posting about needing to write a letter to the school to be able to take the kids out and the letter was explaining all the educational properties of a Disney vacation. Like what things in what subjects they can learn in each park. I have seen several threads like that but I can't find them. If anybody could link me or point me in the right direction to find those threads I would appreciate it. I don't even remember the thread titles so I don't know what to search for.

The guidance councilor at my kid's elementary school said if I draft up some type of letter/proposal like that for the school/teachers then the trip may very well be considered an EXCUSED absence because it is an educational trip. But I need some serious help with this.

I saw one letter drafted up that was long and informative and perfect. But at the time I saw it I didn't think to bookmark that thread because I didn't think I would need something like that. I need it now. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
DisneyLoverUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
ziggystardust
DIS Veteran

Not sure I'd be able to find it, if you couldn't. But I do know my high school took an annual trip to Disney and it was considered "educational". Epcot was the primary focus. And all the girls had an assignment within the countries, getting to know the cast members and learning about their countries of origins. Also in future world, I remember the land being a subject too.

Sorry I don't know the link to the original threads, but maybe this is something you could add in your letter.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
DebIreland
ಠvಠ

Honestly, those letters make me cringe and I bet they provide a good laugh for teachers over their morning coffee.

Grieving Angry Widow
DebIreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
DisneyBamaFan
Alabama - 2009 National Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebIreland View Post
Honestly, those letters make me cringe and I bet they provide a good laugh for teachers over their morning coffee.
Yeah, but if it avoids a conflict with an absurdly controlling school district, it is worth the effort. Let the teachers laugh. Who cares?
DisneyBamaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
npcougar
DIS Veteran

Why do you need to have it be an excused absence? It really shouldn't be anyway. Just take the unexcused and be honest.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Kellydelly
DIS Veteran

What happens if it is considered unexcused? I never had to worry about that, I just took my kids out and those days counted towards their absences, but there are no unexcused absences that I am aware of .
Kellydelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

They aren't that hard to write...

Dear Principal,

Please excuse Johnny as we are going on a family trip to Walt Disney World. Johnny will have lots of opportunity to further his education while on the trip. He'll learn about different countries (or is it country's?) customs, practice reading maps, and learn about keeping a budget and keeping track of money.

He'll also get lots of experience with various forms of transportation including planes, trains, and boats. He'll also have opportunities to work on his music appreciation, as well as the history of film.

If you have any questions or problems, please don't hesitate to contact me. My email is vacationparent@aol.com and my phone number is 867-5309.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
DisneyBamaFan
Alabama - 2009 National Champions

Here is a link with some solid starting points: http://magicalmousecapades.wordpress...-course-it-is/
DisneyBamaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
akhenaten
Lucky for husband, the neighbors can't hear
My fav ride was the kidddie whip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcougar View Post
Why do you need to have it be an excused absence? It really shouldn't be anyway. Just take the unexcused and be honest.

I never told the school that our trips were anything other than a family vacation...

MK daytrip 1980
MK/epcot 1983 offsite
FW camp 1986
CBR 1991Dixie landings 1996 CBR july 2004
POR Riverside July 2011
akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #10
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
They aren't that hard to write...

Dear Principal,

Please excuse Johnny as we are going on a family trip to Walt Disney World. Johnny will have lots of opportunity to further his education while on the trip. He'll learn about different countries (or is it country's?) customs, practice reading maps, and learn about keeping a budget and keeping track of money.

He'll also get lots of experience with various forms of transportation including planes, trains, and boats. He'll also have opportunities to work on his music appreciation, as well as the history of film.

If you have any questions or problems, please don't hesitate to contact me. My email is vacationparent@aol.com and my phone number is 867-5309.
Can we reach Jenny @ that same e-mail, too?
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
DisneyLoverUSA
DIS Veteran

guidance councilor

I was advised by the school's Guidance Councilor that we should do this to get the absences excused. The main reason being state law says you have to be in school so many days per year. In our state, once you have (10) unexcused absences you can be failed for attendance purposes and referred to youth court and possibly fined for truancy issues. The principal requests it and SHE Guidance Councilor) SAID will most likely consider the trip an educational trip, excuse the absences, and they won't count against the kids.

I'm not good at coming up with a proposal like that. I did find an old post that said mousesavers has an example form letter for the educational trip excuse letter but I can't find it yet. I am still looking for it.

I remember someone posted one on here that they were going to use and it was awesome. Very long and detailed and really made the trip sound so educational.

Now whether or not my kids LEARN anything on this trip matters NONE to me. I didn't plan this trip as furthering the kid's education. But if it is something the school needs from me, I am going to cooperate. I am taking the kids out for (7) school days. We will be there for 10 days. It's not like they are only missing 3 or 4 little days, they will miss a whole week plus two days of the next week. The fact that they would even CONSIDER excusing those absences thrills me.

We have never taken any of the kids out of school EVER for vacation before. This will be the first time.

I know it is very hotly debated on here as to whether or not you should even take your kid out for a trip, but we are. I don't care what others think is best for my kid. I just need some guidance on this letter thing. And I am hoping that someone who has had to do this will see this and post something to me.

Thanks guys!

And yeah, the teacher can laugh about my letter all she wants to, even laugh to my face, as long as I get these days excused, I will laugh with her.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
akhenaten
Lucky for husband, the neighbors can't hear
My fav ride was the kidddie whip!!

http://www.themouseforless.com/downloads/kids/SE.shtml

This link has a letter.... have a great trip!

MK daytrip 1980
MK/epcot 1983 offsite
FW camp 1986
CBR 1991Dixie landings 1996 CBR july 2004
POR Riverside July 2011
akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

OP, i believe this is what you're looking for, i learned of it on these boards.

http://www.themouseforless.com/downl...cuse/SE1.shtml

ETA: sorry, akhenaten beat me to it, lol.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #14
npcougar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLoverUSA View Post
I was advised by the school's Guidance Councilor that we should do this to get the absences excused. The main reason being state law says you have to be in school so many days per year. In our state, once you have (10) unexcused absences you can be failed for attendance purposes and referred to youth court and possibly fined for truancy issues. The principal requests it and SHE Guidance Councilor) SAID will most likely consider the trip an educational trip, excuse the absences, and they won't count against the kids.

I'm not good at coming up with a proposal like that. I did find an old post that said mousesavers has an example form letter for the educational trip excuse letter but I can't find it yet. I am still looking for it.

I remember someone posted one on here that they were going to use and it was awesome. Very long and detailed and really made the trip sound so educational.

Now whether or not my kids LEARN anything on this trip matters NONE to me. I didn't plan this trip as furthering the kid's education. But if it is something the school needs from me, I am going to cooperate. I am taking the kids out for (7) school days. We will be there for 10 days. It's not like they are only missing 3 or 4 little days, they will miss a whole week plus two days of the next week. The fact that they would even CONSIDER excusing those absences thrills me.

We have never taken any of the kids out of school EVER for vacation before. This will be the first time.

I know it is very hotly debated on here as to whether or not you should even take your kid out for a trip, but we are. I don't care what others think is best for my kid. I just need some guidance on this letter thing. And I am hoping that someone who has had to do this will see this and post something to me.

Thanks guys!

And yeah, the teacher can laugh about my letter all she wants to, even laugh to my face, as long as I get these days excused, I will laugh with her.

The school at I work at won't accept them anyway. It is up to the principal to decide. Good luck at your school.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #15
DisneyLoverUSA
DIS Veteran

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBamaFan View Post
Here is a link with some solid starting points: http://magicalmousecapades.wordpress...-course-it-is/
That blog post is a BIG HELP. Thank you for posting that. I can almost write my whole letter with the information in that blog post.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: