Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
kaytieedid
Mouseketeer

Best route from Airport to WBC

We're renting a car at the Orlando airport and driving to Wyndham Bonnet Creek. I wanted to know the good and bad of the two routes I've seen posted: 417 to 536 or 528 to I-4. Does anyone have recommendations? Thanks!!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Straitlover
DIS Veteran

When I stayed next door at the Hilton back in May, the Mears shuttle guy too the 417 down to Osceola Parkway (don't know the road number), go on Osceola past the Gaylord Palms, right on victory Way, past Pop Century resort, then right on E. Buena Vista to Chelonia parkway where both WBC and HBC are. We had to stop at the Gaylord Palms to drop off people; I don't know if an earlier exit than Osceola Parkway is quicker or not. I do know it was way quicker than going all the way to I-4 and heading south.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Detailor
DIS Veteran

I agree with taking SR 417 as it's about 5 miles shorter and traffic moves along a bit quicker than on SR 528, though the tolls are a little higher (I think it's $1.75 from the airport to I-4 using SR 528 and $2.50 on SR 417 from the airport to exit 6).

Here's how I'd go..
Take the South Exit from the airport to the access road to SR 417 south toward Disney.
Go about 10 or 11 miles to Exit 6 (International Drive) - there are two $1.25 toll booths along that route.
At the end of the exit ramp go straight onto SR 536/World Center Drive.
Continue about 2 1/2 to 3 miles to the exit ramp to Epcot Resort Area (this will be the second right turn opportunity after you pass under the big Walt Disney World arch).
At the end of the ramp you'll be on Buena Vista Drive.
Immediately get over into the left lane and turn left at the traffic light onto Chelonia Parkway.
Then just follow the road to Wyndham Bonnet Creek.

Dick Taylor
1961 New Years - The Disneyland Hotel, 1977 February - someplace on I-Drive that doesn't exist anymore, 1997 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 1998 February - Cypress Pointe, 1999 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2000 February - Vacation Villas at Fantasy World, 2001 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2002 March - Hilton Grand VacationClub at Sea World, 2003 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 2004 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2005 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2005 June - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2006 February - Pool House in Davenport, 2006 June - Tampa Doubletree, 2007 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2007 July - Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort, 2008 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2008 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2008 June - Cypress Pointe, 2009 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2009 June - Marriott's Sabal Palms, 2010 February/March - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2010 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2011 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2012 December - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2013 March - Westin Lake Mary Orlando North
Detailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

417 is the easy route and takes about 30-35 minutes. Stay off I-4 it can be a congested nightmare.

Plus if you need to make a grocery stop there is a Super Target at Orange Blossom Rd. which is one stop from the Disney exit on 417. Exit 417 and turn left go about 1/4 mile and Target is on the right.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
aikidoky2
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailor View Post
I agree with taking SR 417 as it's about 5 miles shorter and traffic moves along a bit quicker than on SR 528, though the tolls are a little higher (I think it's $1.75 from the airport to I-4 using SR 528 and $2.50 on SR 417 from the airport to exit 6).

Here's how I'd go..
Take the South Exit from the airport to the access road to SR 417 south toward Disney.
Go about 10 or 11 miles to Exit 6 (International Drive) - there are two $1.25 toll booths along that route.
At the end of the exit ramp go straight onto SR 536/World Center Drive.
Continue about 2 1/2 to 3 miles to the exit ramp to Epcot Resort Area (this will be the second right turn opportunity after you pass under the big Walt Disney World arch).
At the end of the ramp you'll be on Buena Vista Drive.
Immediately get over into the left lane and turn left at the traffic light onto Chelonia Parkway.
Then just follow the road to Wyndham Bonnet Creek.

Dick Taylor
I'm renting a minivan from Dollar Rent A Car from the Airport. In the fine print is:

Please note: There are toll roads within this area that have converted or will be converting to all-electronic tolling or cashless tolling. In these areas, there is no option for a rental car to stop and pay the tolls in cash. If your travels will take you on a toll road in an area where there is no option to stop and pay cash for the tolls, Pass24 is the perfect solution. If you choose not to select the Pass24 pre-paid tolling option and do travel on one of these all-electronic toll roads, and do not have your own tolling device in the vehicle, the applicable toll will be paid for you and an administrative fee of $25.00 will be added to each toll utilized.

Does this route involve all-electronic or cashless tolling ?
aikidoky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Detailor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikidoky2 View Post
I'm renting a minivan from Dollar Rent A Car from the Airport. In the fine print is:

Please note: There are toll roads within this area that have converted or will be converting to all-electronic tolling or cashless tolling. In these areas, there is no option for a rental car to stop and pay the tolls in cash. If your travels will take you on a toll road in an area where there is no option to stop and pay cash for the tolls, Pass24 is the perfect solution. If you choose not to select the Pass24 pre-paid tolling option and do travel on one of these all-electronic toll roads, and do not have your own tolling device in the vehicle, the applicable toll will be paid for you and an administrative fee of $25.00 will be added to each toll utilized.

Does this route involve all-electronic or cashless tolling ?
No. The intention is to expand cashless tolls throughout the state but I believe that the only place that this exists today is in the southeastern part of the state (to both the north and south of Miami, I think). There are currently manned, cash basis toll booths along both SR 528 and SR 417.

Dick Taylor
1961 New Years - The Disneyland Hotel, 1977 February - someplace on I-Drive that doesn't exist anymore, 1997 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 1998 February - Cypress Pointe, 1999 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2000 February - Vacation Villas at Fantasy World, 2001 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2002 March - Hilton Grand VacationClub at Sea World, 2003 March - Sheraton Vistana Resort, 2004 March - Orange Lake Country Club, 2005 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2005 June - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2006 February - Pool House in Davenport, 2006 June - Tampa Doubletree, 2007 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2007 July - Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort, 2008 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2008 March - Marriott's Grande Vista, 2008 June - Cypress Pointe, 2009 February - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2009 June - Marriott's Sabal Palms, 2010 February/March - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2010 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2011 December - Sheraton Vistana Villages, 2012 December - Marriott's Cypress Harbour, 2013 March - Westin Lake Mary Orlando North
Detailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

We have always used the 528 to I-4 route and never had a problem. I mean the on/off ramp is right there at the terminal and you literally exit and hang a left and right and return your car. We also use I-4 to go shopping etc, so I'm not really intimidated by the interstate.

(my father lived in south of Houston and we are frequently in Dallas so I do a lot of Texas interstate driving. I've also driven in CA, Memphis, OK, NOLA and all the way to the east coast on I-40, there's some pretty crappy driving in those places as well, but nothing much scares me after driving in TX )

528 comes up on GPS as the easiest, quickest, most direct route according to their software and I'm fine following it. However I have heard lots of people rave about the southern route as well, it just seems to me that when I manually eyeball it there is lots of enters/exits/city street with stoplights/kinda circle around this ways in it and I will almost always take a little traffic on an all interstate route over having to round about the scenic route, so I'm biased.

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
staceywj
Mouseketeer

Any good places to eat along the way?
staceywj is offline   Reply With Quote