Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 AM   #16
DRAGRACER67
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up Priano vs Big Brand Name's

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
i just checked Mueller's, Barilla's and Ronzoni's websites. All use durum wheat semolina in the making of their products.

Mueller's, Barilla and Ronzoni are gmo free. In fact, durum wheat has not been genetically modified, so a gmo version of durum wheat is not available to be used by any manufacturer in making durum wheat semolina pasta.
Those are big name brands that will cost more than Aldi's Priano brand for sure...I 2 went to all 3 sites & 2 claimed to be GMO free that I found & they were Ronzoni & Mueller's & I found that info in the FAQ section...when in Barilla's site they avoided talking about there pasta containing GMO's and instead said their sauce was GMO free... "something to hide about there pasta maybe" also on Barilla's site they say that they use all American product's in there pasta's here in the USA, unless labeled a product of Italy!!!

As for my comment on GMO's I did not say that Wheat had GMO's!!! I personally like the stuffed pasta's like Cannelloni/Manicotti, Tortellini, Tortelloni & Ravioli's...That is where you can get the GMO's because of the Soy, Canola, Corn & Cotton Seed Oil's...&...Sugar Beets that are from GMO crop's grown in the USA & also Dairy & Animal product's because animals are fed grain's that contain GMO's as well as the horror that Monsanto created called "Posilac" now owned by Eli Lilly that is injected into most Dairy Cows...But you won't find any of that in Italy!!! Where in the USA over 90% of all Soy, Canola, Corn, Cotton & Sugar Beet's are GMO product's...

I hope this clears up what I was meaning/trying to say about GMO's... If it was misleading in anyway by insinuating that it was from the Wheat I humbly apologize...
DRAGRACER67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #17
DRAGRACER67
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up Priano vs Big Brand Name's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
I just checked Mueller's, Barilla's and Ronzoni's websites. All use durum wheat semolina in the making of their products
"I forgot to reply to this sorry, look at the quote from Wikipedia"

"Outside Italy, dry pasta is frequently made from other types of flour (such as wheat flour), but this yields a softer product that cannot be cooked al dente the same way."

Meaning some pastas also use enriched bleached soft wheat flour & other soft variety's of Wheat besides Durum Wheat Semolina that make it too soft to be cooked aldente...
DRAGRACER67 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2012, 06:36 AM   #18
sherry7
DIS Veteran

Last time they had Italian week, I bought the vodka sauce, Alfredo sauce, boxed risotto, refrigerated and frozen ravioli and tortellini. All of them were good. The pizelles are also good. They also have canned Italian style diced tomatoes this week. Those are yummy.

I went to Aldi yesterday, and they had 8 oz packs of fresh mushrooms for 49 cents. They also had 2 packs of green peppers for 49 cents.

I shop at Aldi regularly, and have only bought 2 things that I didn't care for. IMO, that's a pretty good track record.
sherry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
dhuba
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwitch View Post
Been meaning to try Aldi's. How long is Italian week? End Saturday?
Aldi's weekly ad for Italian week should end the 28th because the new ads always start Wednesday.
dhuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #20
Straitlover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuba View Post
Aldi's weekly ad for Italian week should end the 28th because the new ads always start Wednesday.
Yes, but they just won't stock more of the items. They will just sell what's on the shelves until they're gone.

I have tried the frozen meat tortellini. They were good! I bought some of the vodka sauce last night, but I haven't tried it yet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: