Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
DINKDisneyAddict
Mouseketeer

Southwest Airlines - same sale, same time, every year?

Does Southwest Airlines run sales at the same time year after year? or is it just hit and miss? If there are sales at the same time year after year, does anyone have that schedule? We are not 100% sure on our dates for a January trip, but we don't want to let this sale go by if there won't be another one before then!

TIA!
DINKDisneyAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
MrsJackSparrow4Life
DIS Veteran

Well the last three years I have been able to get really good prices on flights during their birthday sale...it is only good for fall dates though. I don't remember any huge sales for dates in January but that doesn't mean they don't do them.
MrsJackSparrow4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
carebee21
DIS Veteran

Southwest seems to have sales every month or so. But, I couldn't tell you if some are better than others or if they're all about the same (they all seem about the same to me, but that could also just be the airports I'm looking at, and could change depending on where you're flying from?). However, the sale going on right now doesn't even extend into Jan. It says •Travel through December 14, 2011.

We're watching for January fares, and we haven't seen any airlines offering sales extending into January yet. They all stop shortly before Christmas. I would expect the sales to start hitting about mid Oct, based on our experiences the past few years with January travel.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
brekin67
DIS Veteran

Southwest always has their annual birthday sale the 3rd week in June.
brekin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebee21 View Post
We're watching for January fares, and we haven't seen any airlines offering sales extending into January yet. They all stop shortly before Christmas. I would expect the sales to start hitting about mid Oct, based on our experiences the past few years with January travel.
We purchased our tickets for January when SW first announced the dates. Yesterday, they went down by $50, so we rebooked and are using the credit for our Disney Cruise in June. I check every Tue and Thur to see if fares go down and change our reservations if they do.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
DisneyCowgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyOHFan View Post
We purchased our tickets for January when SW first announced the dates. Yesterday, they went down by $50, so we rebooked and are using the credit for our Disney Cruise in June. I check every Tue and Thur to see if fares go down and change our reservations if they do.
Thanks for posting this--I jsut checked and one leg of our flight went way down. Are Tuesdays and Thursdays the days they change the rates?
DisneyCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCowgirl View Post
Thanks for posting this--I jsut checked and one leg of our flight went way down. Are Tuesdays and Thursdays the days they change the rates?
That is great. I am glad you found a lower rate. I typically see the rate changes on Tue and Thur, but have also found them on a Friday. So, it appears there isn't a real science to it
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
eyor44
DIS Veteran

The past couple of years, it seems I was able to get a fare reduction for my January flights in October.
eyor44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Svhadden
Mouseketeer

I'm also watching SW rates for Jan travel.

We've never flown to Orlando before, so I have no idea what the rates will do. It doesn't really make sense to me...I mean, why is it cheaper to fly from Midway (where my friend flies from) to Orlando than from New Orleans (where I live) to Orlando???

So I just keep watching watching watching and hoping that my fam of four can fly cheaper than $1100. Ouch.

Always dreaming about our yearly September trip .
Svhadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

I've been watching Southwest's January fares for a few months now and found them to be the lowest they've been this week. I agree that Tuesdays through Wednesdays have the best fares. I went ahead and booked our flights since they were $79 each way and I doubt they will go lower than that.
You can always book, and like others have said, if the fares go down, rebook and use the credit toward other flights.

Southwest's fares are great right now, few other airlines have what their fares are if you include bags fly free. Love them!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
Svhadden
Mouseketeer

Wow, I'd be THRILLED for $79 each way lol. I just don't get how fares are priced. It's $133 each way from New Orleans right now. It's not like I'm flying out of some obscure airport...Southwest has regular flights from NO. Grrrr. Just gotta keep watching.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #12
alyssa810
It's much more fun on the boat
Must have creme brulee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINKDisneyAddict View Post
Does Southwest Airlines run sales at the same time year after year? or is it just hit and miss? If there are sales at the same time year after year, does anyone have that schedule? We are not 100% sure on our dates for a January trip, but we don't want to let this sale go by if there won't be another one before then!

TIA!
Hi Ellen
We're in the same boat, patiently waiting for rates under $114 for the same time as you. I've checked for the whole month, and that's the lowest rate we've seen (for us), but most of the schedules we've been looking at have rates of $129 which stinks.
annual trips since 1997! some highlights: 1st trip Feb 1985**1st onsite WL 11/2002: ENGAGED @ MK**Honeymoon @ DLP- NB 4/2004**DVC members and our OKW love affair begins 12/2004**29th b-day@DLH 8/2005**Joel's 1st trip 12/2007 CBR**back to DLP-SL 6/2010**GCV 9/2011 Happy 4th B-day Joel!***ASMu & BCV 9/2012***OKW1/2013***GCH & GCV 2/2014***OKW 2/2015 40+ trips and counting!!

8 Parks in 9 Months (part II)TR here! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2439987
8 Parks in 9 Months (part III)TR here! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post37117909
alyssa810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svhadden View Post
Wow, I'd be THRILLED for $79 each way lol. I just don't get how fares are priced. It's $133 each way from New Orleans right now. It's not like I'm flying out of some obscure airport...Southwest has regular flights from NO. Grrrr. Just gotta keep watching.
We are thrilled with that price, I've been patiently waiting~ Columbus to Orlando seems to be a solid route so once in a while we get a good bargain.

$133 is actually not a bad price with SW...is that a direct flight? Keep watching! Or book and then you can rebook if the price comes down. Your bags are included in that too, so it's all relative. Hoping for some pixie dust for you!
Old 09-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
Candlz
PartyLite on VMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svhadden View Post
So I just keep watching watching watching and hoping that my fam of four can fly cheaper than $1100. Ouch.
Ouch - wouldn't it be cheaper to drive?

DH ME DD21 DS9 DS1 and DD1

Proud Mama of a Coastie
Candlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
Svhadden
Mouseketeer

$133 is actually not a bad price with SW...is that a direct flight? Keep watching! Or book and then you can rebook if the price comes down. Your bags are included in that too, so it's all relative. Hoping for some pixie dust for you![/QUOTE]

Thanks, Minniebeth, and yes, that's a direct flight that would put us in Orlando by 11:00am, which is wonderful! And yes, our bags are included with SW, which is a huge plus. I just squirm at having to allocate so much of our budget to travel lol.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: