Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 04:08 PM   #46
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMJUN View Post
Now, if only they would team up with the BBC and bring Dr Who to Hollywood Studios!!
But the times on the standby line would never be accurate.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #47
jimpossible87
Mouseketeer

I do definitely think AKs ideas of conservation fit in very well with Avatars whole green save the environment message...but still doesnt make me want to go see blue people rides or fly on ugly lizard bird things. or look at floating light up jellyfish. IDK can I be honest and say I hate Avatar? I just really LOVE AK and Im gald its getting new stuff but I just dont want to see blue people on stilts walking around all day in there. I was trying to be nice b4 but I dont like it. there...I said it. Im sure in 5 years when it opens I will be saying wow what an incredible place that was supposed to be from Avatar and is now whatever they change it to by then.
jimpossible87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #48
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me

Here's a question. Who thinks the Avatar brand/franchise will have enough longevity even after the 2nd and 3rd films to maintain a themed land for 20 or 30 years down the road? The Star Wars and probably Potter films certainly have, but will Avatar be able to maintain a presence that far in the future? Will guests walk into Avatar "Land" 25 years from now and say..."What was this movie about?" I think this is the risk of jumping in early to create a land based on the film. I know this is way forward-thinking, but was just curious what others thought.
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #49
jimpossible87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADP View Post
Here's a question. Who thinks the Avatar brand/franchise will have enough longevity even after the 2nd and 3rd films to maintain a themed land for 20 or 30 years down the road? The Star Wars and probably Potter films certainly have, but will Avatar be able to maintain a presence that far in the future? Will guests walk into Avatar "Land" 25 years from now and say..."What was this movie about?" I think this is the risk of jumping in early to create a land based on the film. I know this is way forward-thinking, but was just curious what others thought.
well IMO i dont think the 2nd and 3rd films are going to be as big as the 1st since the first was a snooze but maybe they know that?
I was saying the same thing tho. I dont think my nieces are going to grow up and say I want to go to Disney to remember Avatar
jimpossible87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #50
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post

For Avatar, the ride that anchors the land would have to be an 'E' ticket - I'm not sure they could get away with anything less. I just hope it's not a 3d film. Was there any aspect of the film that lent itself to a ride concept?
You could pretend to put the guests into a form of hypersleep, and then when they wake up they have to fly a ship and land it. You could even simulate g-force effects.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #51
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

I for one really liked Avatar, and so did my kids. It was a visually stunning movie.

That being said, I just don't know how you fit it into Animal Kingdom. Why not the Studios? They could get rid of the Backlot Tour.

WDW better hope the sequels to Avatar are huge or this will be a big waste of money.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #52
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADP View Post
Here's a question. Who thinks the Avatar brand/franchise will have enough longevity even after the 2nd and 3rd films to maintain a themed land for 20 or 30 years down the road?
Not at all. I don't see any evidence that interest in Avatar remains even today. I think it will be long out of people's memories by the time they open any Avatar-themed attractions.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #53
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

As long as it gets the crowds out of line for the rides I want it's good with me.

I thought the movie was terrible. I made a point of watching it in 2D because I wanted to judge it on the story and not the 3D technology which I don't really like anyway. It was just not a good story. I plan on skipping any squeals.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #54
Merry Mousketeer
I've got a lot above my ears
We never miss them when we visit DL

When I first heard the announcement I thought it was a leftover April Fool's Day spoof. This is probably the first plan I have heard from Disney that has left me profoundly disappointed.

I do not understand why they seem to have abandoned the original Beastly Kingdomme concept which has a lot of possibilities for attractions and merchandising. Even Narnia would have provided a good mythological land for AK. Both of these would also provide educational opportunities, both different than Avatar of course. I don't see how a science fiction style mythological environment works as effectively. And will there be a second tree as a centerpiece in AK? But I do hope there will be a blue Mickey and Minnie in the meet-and-greet area!

And, of course, my biggest gripe is that this was not announced at the D23 Expo a few weeks ago where big announcements by the company were supposed to be made.
Merry Mousketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #55
wishspirit
When you wish upon a star!
I am a shy girl who loves to laugh!
Im just greedy i suppose!

I will wait to judge. I have never seen Avatar, and I don't currently plan to, but a new land might tempt me to borrow a copy.

Harry Potter has been in the public concious since 1997, has 7 books and 8 films, and is still as big as ever. Avatar has been around since 2009, with one well received film. I don't really feel Avatar has firm enough ground to stand on.

wishspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #56
Merry Mousketeer
I've got a lot above my ears
We never miss them when we visit DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33 View Post
I for one really liked Avatar, and so did my kids. It was a visually stunning movie.

That being said, I just don't know how you fit it into Animal Kingdom. Why not the Studios? They could get rid of the Backlot Tour.

WDW better hope the sequels to Avatar are huge or this will be a big waste of money.
Look for Carsland coming to a Backlot Tour near you!
Merry Mousketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #57
AllisonG
Good thing the TF is multi-lingual!

Thumbs down

I am hoping this is a giant hoax.
if not, ICK!
97,98,99x2,00x7,01x4,02x3,03x4,
04x4,07x2,08x2,09x4,10x1
AllisonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #58
Goofypop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpossible87 View Post
well IMO i dont think the 2nd and 3rd films are going to be as big as the 1st since the first was a snooze but maybe they know that?
I was saying the same thing tho. I dont think my nieces are going to grow up and say I want to go to Disney to remember Avatar
And Dinosaur was such a hit?

I say give it a chance. I think it will be awesome but who knows, I could be wrong and it could stink something fierce. But then others here could be wrong and it could be one of the biggest draws AK will ever have. The point is, right now, no one knows how successful this will be but there are a bunch of people here in this forum condemning it before it even happens. What ever happened to people thinking positively about Disney? I swear, a person can see so much negativity in the forums these days. Instead of being happy that they have a wonderful set of parks to go to they want to hate, gripe, and armchair engineer the parks.

While I think it will be very cool, this whole thing could blow up in Disney's face and then everyone can sit back and thrash Disney over it. Be honest, they could literally transport you to Pandora, for real, and there would still be people that have nothing good to say about it.
Goofypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #59
wasabi girl
Mouseketeer
I can't get in the shower if the shower curtain is already wet

I am also not an Avatar fan. I sort of hoped this was a joke. One of my daughters told me after seeing Avatar, "I liked this better when it was 90 minutes long and called Fern Gully"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMJUN View Post

Now, if only they would team up with the BBC and bring Dr Who to Hollywood Studios!!
That would be totally awesome!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #60
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofypop View Post
And Dinosaur was such a hit?
That was just a weak marketing move when they changed the name of the ride after the movie came out. I suppose Dinosaur was easier for people to remember than Countdown to Extinction, the original name. And at least Dinosaur was a Disney movie.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: