Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #31
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Will revenues from "Pandora-land" be used to fix the Yeti?

k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #32
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh View Post
i just knew you would open that box.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #33
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
Pun intended!

k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #34
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
groan....
Old 09-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #35
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by k5jmh View Post
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #36
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

If we aren't careful, the next rumor will be about an Angelina Jolie action movie being the next land at AK, right next to the Festival of the Lion King.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #37
SIMJUN
Mouseketeer

I am surprised at the lack of enthusiasm by some posters.

Whether or not you like the movie, most agree it was visually stunning and who better than Disney imagineers to bring Pandora to life? It is a perfect fit for Animal Kindom.

I can't wait!!!

Now, if only they would team up with the BBC and bring Dr Who to Hollywood Studios!!
SIMJUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #38
steve76
Mouseketeer

Wow, I did not see this coming! I think it's great that AK is getting some attention, however I did not expect it to be Avatar!

They've got some really interesting design challenges, though. I've never seen Avatar (and to be honest, have never had the desire to). With most Disney properties you don't really need to have seen the film to 'get' the attraction - for example, I've never seen Cars, but I know it's about a bunch of talking cars so I'm still excited for Carsland. With Avatar, all I know is it's about a bunch of blue creatures (animals? aliens?) so making it appeal to people who haven't seen it may be a challenge.

Secondly, where to put it? It seems that the only obvious place would be Camp Minnie-Mickey, in which case there would have to be some other serious changes at AK to allow this to happen. Alternatively, between Camp Minnie-Mickey and Africa, on the left-hand side. But that would be a weird transition...

For Avatar, the ride that anchors the land would have to be an 'E' ticket - I'm not sure they could get away with anything less. I just hope it's not a 3d film. Was there any aspect of the film that lent itself to a ride concept?

Finally, how to make it fit in with AK? At first sight, it seems like it's not an obvious fit - DHS or Universal, maybe, but AK? How do you bring in such a big property without compromising the theme of the whole park?

Finally, I wonder where the other lands would be? I can't see it in DL or DCA, so I'm guessing maybe Shaghai? Anyone know if Avatar was a hit over there?

I'm optimistic that Disney will make this work... all I'm saying is that it's going to be really interesting to see what they do!
steve76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #39
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
If we aren't careful, the next rumor will be about an Angelina Jolie action movie being the next land at AK, right next to the Festival of the Lion King.
I'd rather see that than Ellen's Energy Adventure. oh wait. That's in EPCOT. So why is something as futuristic as Avatar not in the world of tomorrow area?

Meanwhile, back at Animal Kingdom, I wouldn't mind at all if they got rid of Primeval Whirl or the Triceratop Spin.

I too wondered if the $$$ brought in by the Avatar land would be used to fix the Yeti.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #40
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
Secondly, where to put it? It seems that the only obvious place would be Camp Minnie-Mickey, in which case there would have to be some other serious changes at AK to allow this to happen. Alternatively, between Camp Minnie-Mickey and Africa, on the left-hand side. But that would be a weird transition...
There's also a clear plot of land just north of Asia. It's been cleared off for quite some time. If you ever look at an overhead map of DAK it's very noticeable and just waiting for some sort of expansion.
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:54 PM   #41
smitch425
DIS Veteran

I didn't see the movie, but

I can tell you that my kids will have ZERO interest in this. They have kept every McDonald's happy meal toy they have ever gotten except for Air Bender and Avatar. They think the people are "creepy looking" (their exact words). I get that the film was visually beautiful, but that type of attraction would be best suited at DHS. Animal Kingdom should stay focused on nature-- REAL nature. To my knowledge, their are no real blue people. I think the whole idea is terrible, but I respect those who think the idea is great. Only time will tell if it becomes successful, but I highly doubt my family will take the time to see it. Never got into the Narnia stuff either and now it's gone. Can't say it bothers me, but I'm sure some people will really miss it. To each his own, right?
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #42
jimpossible87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelan6 View Post
I'd rather have a Titanic ride at the Magic Kingdom.
OMG that made me laugh Mike

I had to come over to the boards too to see what everyone thought after seeing this pop up on fb...I really was not a big fan of Avatar. great effects but really booooring and corny IMO. I think it wuold def play well to becoming theme park attractions but I dont think I am a big fan of the idea of it being part of AK. I get how they could fit it in but Id rather not go to tomorrowland in the AK.
Some ppl were saying about star wars not being Disney and I agree its fine for them to acquire the big properties and good for business but I think the movie themed things seem to belong at the Studios.
Im back and forth on this only because I know it will be spectacular and I love AK already but I just really dont like Avatar. It will be exciting to get the details as they come. I just hope they arent counting on Avatar to be some timeless classic. i know i have no interest in going to see sequels to that movie.
I prefer Disney to be more Disney....you know do something more with Tarzan the lion king, the jungle book, the jungle cruise even...IDK it makes me nervous, sounds like a hasty plan to try and outdo Harry potter.
(This avatar stuff was supp to be at Universal before right?)
Love hearing what everyone else thinks...very exciting
jimpossible87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #43
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I can tell you that my kids will have ZERO interest in this. They have kept every McDonald's happy meal toy they have ever gotten except for Air Bender and Avatar. They think the people are "creepy looking" (their exact words). I get that the film was visually beautiful, but that type of attraction would be best suited at DHS. Animal Kingdom should stay focused on nature-- REAL nature. To my knowledge, their are no real blue people. I think the whole idea is terrible, but I respect those who think the idea is great. Only time will tell if it becomes successful, but I highly doubt my family will take the time to see it. Never got into the Narnia stuff either and now it's gone. Can't say it bothers me, but I'm sure some people will really miss it. To each his own, right?
I think that the Narnia series would have made a better mythical backdrop than Avatar. If only they hadn't sold their share off....
Old 09-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #44
jimpossible87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADP View Post
Hahaha...That is one of the first things I thought of when I absorbed this announcement.
LOL if I could spell blasphemy id say that!!
jimpossible87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #45
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

I suppose this means we'll actually have to see the movie. None of us have seen it or had any interest in seeing it.

Since I know little to nothing about the film, I really can't comment about whether or not it could fit in AK but it sure isn't my idea of AK. I know there was supposed to be a beastly kingdom with mythical creatures but I'm not sure if this fits that description.

I love AK the way it is, or at least the way it used to be. As they've made more and more changes to appeal to the folks who just didn't get it, it has gradually changed what AK was meant to be. I guess this is just one more step in that process. Kind of sad.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: