Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #196
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think
 
disneysteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 11,021

Quote:
Originally Posted by book_junkie View Post
it is either in disco mode (flashing lights for appearance of movement)
That's really interesting because when we rode it, I would have sworn it was moving. That's why I wondered what all the fuss was about. I'll have to pay extra close attention the next time we go (not until next summer unfortunately).
__________________
Steve
32 WDW trips since 1978 - 8 onsite, 23 offsite, 1 split on/off ; 1 Disneyland trip in 2005 - offsite (Fairfield Inn)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #197
sellsje
Earning My Ears
 
sellsje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Blaine, MN
Posts: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofypop View Post
Those things either aren't broken or aren't built in order to refurb. Nothing to fix there. What you mean to say is "Disney isn't doing what I want them to with the money so they are fools." They've been doing pretty good for 56 years.
No, actually I like to pretend I am an Imagineer! Actually Animal Kingdom is my 2nd favorite park and I love most of what Disney does. I my favorite thing about the park is the trails but the rides are pretty scarce and it needs to be a full day park.

I dont think Avatar is a good fit. Meh. It's a pretty violent movie and isn't very Magical. That's what makes it a better fit at Universal.
__________________
Off Prop - Sept. '02
Off Prop - Oct. '07
POP/AK-Jambo - Jan/Feb. '10
Planning DLR - Oct '12
sellsje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #198
SydneyFalco
Stop asking ME about YOUR stuff... just ask me about MINE! That's what the Internet is for!
 
SydneyFalco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gatineau, QC
Posts: 834

Ugh.

I mean, even past the movie itself--which I don't think contains ounce of anything memorable or that will stand the test of time--the idea that the aesthetics of the Pandora world are enough to make the new land worthwhile seems ludicrous to me. It's a pretty rote CGI concoctions, cobbled together from much a dozen different and much more iconic film and fantasy sources.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofypop View Post
They've been doing pretty good for 56 years.

I'd say they did amazing for about thirty years, coasted pretty well up until and including Animal Kingdom, and have been sliding steadily for about a decade now. This Avatar move is keeping in line with the downwards trend, in my opinion.

With time-tested and truly classic IPs as yet fully untapped, and not to mention the idea of a Beastly Kingdoms drawing on truly timeless myths, this idea just feels forced and corporate and shallow. When I think of what would have happened if the Pirates Of The Caribbean movies (similarly meh entertainments) had come first and the Pirates Of The Caribbean ride had been derived from those movies, instead of the other way around, I know for a certainty in my heart that the charm of the Pirates ride would not exist in any way shape or form. What you would have got would be a Universal ride. Maybe great, maybe horrible, but a Universal ride of gloss and glitz. Not a piece of Disney magic. And that's what I fear with this.

Avatar, for all its standout components, was an assault on charm. And this will probably be too.
SydneyFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #199
sellsje
Earning My Ears
 
sellsje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Blaine, MN
Posts: 44

Thank you Disney Kevin!
__________________
Off Prop - Sept. '02
Off Prop - Oct. '07
POP/AK-Jambo - Jan/Feb. '10
Planning DLR - Oct '12
sellsje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #200
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess
 
WaltD4Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 9,729

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyFalco View Post
I'd say they did amazing for about thirty years, coasted pretty well up until and including Animal Kingdom, and have been sliding steadily for about a decade now. This Avatar move is keeping in line with the downwards trend, in my opinion.

With time-tested and truly classic IPs as yet fully untapped, and not to mention the idea of a Beastly Kingdoms drawing on truly timeless myths, this idea just feels forced and corporate and shallow. When I think of what would have happened if the Pirates Of The Caribbean movies (similarly meh entertainments) had come first and the Pirates Of The Caribbean ride had been derived from those movies, instead of the other way around, I know for a certainty in my heart that the charm of the Pirates ride would not exist in any way shape or form. What you would have got would be a Universal ride. Maybe great, maybe horrible, but a Universal ride of gloss and glitz. Not a piece of Disney magic. And that's what I fear with this.

Avatar, for all its standout components, was an assault on charm. And this will probably be too.
This ^

I just don't understand Disney's apparent need to compete with Universal "in kind" - as in a "pop culture" cool kinda way. This is not Disney's draw. I do not think they are fools, but I do think they are trying too hard to get into the cool kids club. (see American Idol Experience) Universal performed a coup in getting Harry Potter. It is a unique property with a fan base akin to Disney's. This is not at all the case with Avatar. I have faith in Disney's Imagineer's...but this is potentially Tom Skagg's DCA, only time will tell.
__________________
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #201
Goofypop
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 911 miles from my OTHER home! :(
Posts: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
As I stated before....this is a discussion forum where everyone is entitled to their opinion, provided they follow Dis guidelines.

If hearing opinions different than yours annoys you, this might prove more and more difficult.

The Dis and the Dis Unplugged podcast are based on the sharing those opinions whether they be good, bad or indifferent. If you have ever listened to the podcast, I'm sure you are aware that we often state what we think Disney is doing well and not so well.

My hope is that we can continue to share our opinions on this and other topics.

As you can see.....there is not 100% agreement on this topic and that has made for some lively discussion.
I never said that he should agree with me.
Goofypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #202
OrangeCat04
You may have noticed that im not all there myself ~ Cheshire Cat
 
OrangeCat04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lavender Fields...
Posts: 561

This is wonderful news. I love Avatar and the movie has amazing and stunning visuals. Also, the environmental message behind the movie is awesome. Really fits in with the ideas that Animal Kingdom promotes, living in harmony with our world. Well done Disney!
__________________
~The Wonderful World of Disney~
OrangeCat04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #203
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess
 
WaltD4Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 9,729

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
That's really interesting because when we rode it, I would have sworn it was moving. That's why I wondered what all the fuss was about. I'll have to pay extra close attention the next time we go (not until next summer unfortunately).
If you have seen Yeti when he is fully functional, you can definitely tell the difference between that and the strobe light effect. He does look like he is moving with the strobe lights, but when he really moves you think he going to grab you right out of your seat.
__________________
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #204
Goofypop
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 911 miles from my OTHER home! :(
Posts: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
If you have seen Yeti when he is fully functional, you can definitely tell the difference between that and the strobe light effect. He does look like he is moving with the strobe lights, but when he really moves you think he going to grab you right out of your seat.
We went to EE for the first time in October of 2007 and he was static then as well. Apparently Disney id planning on giving the Yeti some movement but he will never be back to the full "swing" of things. Maybe think of it like a hip replacement. He's still the Yeti but in a diminished capacity. LOL


http://thedisneyblog.com/2010/08/01/...bles-explored/
Goofypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #205
snowy76
I do a panic dance
OMG I looooved my K Tel records!
 
snowy76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 3,298

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
Universal performed a coup in getting Harry Potter. It is a unique property with a fan base akin to Disney's. This is not at all the case with Avatar.
Lord of the Rings or Narnia would have been a better fit for Disney (though not necessarily at AK). Those stories have endured for decades. Disney messed up with Narnia big time, though.
__________________
DH Me DS20 DD18 DS8

CR 12/82 ... CR 12/84 ... Offsite 7/89 ... Swan 8/03 ... AKL 6/04 ... BWV 6/05 ... POP 10/08 ... DTD Hilton 10/09 ... Offsite 8/11 ... DLR 7/12 ... DLR 8/13
snowy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #206
KittyHellstrom
huglife
 
KittyHellstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwscout View Post
I just thought this was amusing in light of the fact that your signature picture includes Stitch AND a Star Trek t-shirt.

And now, back to the topic at hand.
I know right? I am actually not a fan of Stitch or Star Trek, but Kitty likes them
__________________
Meg (Kitty) & Dave (Hellstrom)
First Disney trip @BWI 8/16-8/21 2010
Trip 2 @ Pop Century 2/11-2/18 2011
Trip 3: Animal Kingdom Lodge 10/31 - 11/7 2011
KittyHellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #207
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet
 
jeanigor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan
Posts: 14,625

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellsje View Post
No, actually I like to pretend I am an Imagineer! Actually Animal Kingdom is my 2nd favorite park and I love most of what Disney does. I my favorite thing about the park is the trails but the rides are pretty scarce and it needs to be a full day park.

I dont think Avatar is a good fit. Meh. It's a pretty violent movie and isn't very Magical. That's what makes it a better fit at Universal.
I think those are some awesome ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy76 View Post
Lord of the Rings or Narnia would have been a better fit for Disney (though not necessarily at AK). Those stories have endured for decades. Disney messed up with Narnia big time, though.
Narnia was a big blunder to lose/sell.
__________________
__
You may call me Todd. Tiara Todd.__________I am fairly certain that if given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world. One sequin at a time.
jeanigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #208
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me
 
ADP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 8,946

Just saw an interview with James Cameron where he revealed a few details about Avatarland at DAK.

Basically, the goal of the land is to put you in Pandora. The land will occupy 12 acres with multiple attractions and offer a complete experience. He goes on to mention this maybe a 1/2 day experience.

12 acres seems large...The only 2 areas I could see for a 12 acre expansion would be removing Camp Minnine Mickey and taking up the rest of the open space behind it, or the area cleared out behind Asia, however that spot sits close to the Kilamanjaro Safaris attraction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=086tOrvi9UE
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #209
jcb
always emerging from hibernation
 
jcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: In view of the Smoky Mountains
Posts: 3,716

Aaron is probably right but I can't help but observe (wishful thinking) that Dinoland is roughly 12 acres ():

__________________
Jack
jcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #210
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess
 
WaltD4Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 9,729

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
Aaron is probably right but I can't help but observe (wishful thinking) that Dinoland is roughly 12 acres ():

Interesting. Looks like the perfect size and shape for Avatarland to me.

I read an interesting blog yesterday about Avatarland, he talked about James Cameron being a bit of a control freak and maybe not being so easy to work with. I had heard that before, I hope Joe Rhode is ready for him.
__________________
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.