Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #196
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by book_junkie View Post
it is either in disco mode (flashing lights for appearance of movement)
That's really interesting because when we rode it, I would have sworn it was moving. That's why I wondered what all the fuss was about. I'll have to pay extra close attention the next time we go (not until next summer unfortunately).
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #197
sellsje
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofypop View Post
Those things either aren't broken or aren't built in order to refurb. Nothing to fix there. What you mean to say is "Disney isn't doing what I want them to with the money so they are fools." They've been doing pretty good for 56 years.
No, actually I like to pretend I am an Imagineer! Actually Animal Kingdom is my 2nd favorite park and I love most of what Disney does. I my favorite thing about the park is the trails but the rides are pretty scarce and it needs to be a full day park.

I dont think Avatar is a good fit. Meh. It's a pretty violent movie and isn't very Magical. That's what makes it a better fit at Universal.
Planning DLR - Oct '12
sellsje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #198
SydneyFalco
Stop asking ME about YOUR stuff... just ask me about MINE! That's what the Internet is for!

Ugh.

I mean, even past the movie itself--which I don't think contains ounce of anything memorable or that will stand the test of time--the idea that the aesthetics of the Pandora world are enough to make the new land worthwhile seems ludicrous to me. It's a pretty rote CGI concoctions, cobbled together from much a dozen different and much more iconic film and fantasy sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofypop View Post
They've been doing pretty good for 56 years.

I'd say they did amazing for about thirty years, coasted pretty well up until and including Animal Kingdom, and have been sliding steadily for about a decade now. This Avatar move is keeping in line with the downwards trend, in my opinion.

With time-tested and truly classic IPs as yet fully untapped, and not to mention the idea of a Beastly Kingdoms drawing on truly timeless myths, this idea just feels forced and corporate and shallow. When I think of what would have happened if the Pirates Of The Caribbean movies (similarly meh entertainments) had come first and the Pirates Of The Caribbean ride had been derived from those movies, instead of the other way around, I know for a certainty in my heart that the charm of the Pirates ride would not exist in any way shape or form. What you would have got would be a Universal ride. Maybe great, maybe horrible, but a Universal ride of gloss and glitz. Not a piece of Disney magic. And that's what I fear with this.

Avatar, for all its standout components, was an assault on charm. And this will probably be too.
SydneyFalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #199
sellsje
Earning My Ears

Thank you Disney Kevin!
Planning DLR - Oct '12
sellsje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #200
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyFalco View Post
I'd say they did amazing for about thirty years, coasted pretty well up until and including Animal Kingdom, and have been sliding steadily for about a decade now. This Avatar move is keeping in line with the downwards trend, in my opinion.

With time-tested and truly classic IPs as yet fully untapped, and not to mention the idea of a Beastly Kingdoms drawing on truly timeless myths, this idea just feels forced and corporate and shallow. When I think of what would have happened if the Pirates Of The Caribbean movies (similarly meh entertainments) had come first and the Pirates Of The Caribbean ride had been derived from those movies, instead of the other way around, I know for a certainty in my heart that the charm of the Pirates ride would not exist in any way shape or form. What you would have got would be a Universal ride. Maybe great, maybe horrible, but a Universal ride of gloss and glitz. Not a piece of Disney magic. And that's what I fear with this.

Avatar, for all its standout components, was an assault on charm. And this will probably be too.
This ^

I just don't understand Disney's apparent need to compete with Universal "in kind" - as in a "pop culture" cool kinda way. This is not Disney's draw. I do not think they are fools, but I do think they are trying too hard to get into the cool kids club. (see American Idol Experience) Universal performed a coup in getting Harry Potter. It is a unique property with a fan base akin to Disney's. This is not at all the case with Avatar. I have faith in Disney's Imagineer's...but this is potentially Tom Skagg's DCA, only time will tell.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:44 PM   #201
Goofypop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
As I stated before....this is a discussion forum where everyone is entitled to their opinion, provided they follow Dis guidelines.

If hearing opinions different than yours annoys you, this might prove more and more difficult.

The Dis and the Dis Unplugged podcast are based on the sharing those opinions whether they be good, bad or indifferent. If you have ever listened to the podcast, I'm sure you are aware that we often state what we think Disney is doing well and not so well.

My hope is that we can continue to share our opinions on this and other topics.

As you can see.....there is not 100% agreement on this topic and that has made for some lively discussion.
I never said that he should agree with me.
Goofypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #202
OrangeCat04
You may have noticed that im not all there myself ~ Cheshire Cat

This is wonderful news. I love Avatar and the movie has amazing and stunning visuals. Also, the environmental message behind the movie is awesome. Really fits in with the ideas that Animal Kingdom promotes, living in harmony with our world. Well done Disney!
Old 09-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #203
WaltD4Me
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
That's really interesting because when we rode it, I would have sworn it was moving. That's why I wondered what all the fuss was about. I'll have to pay extra close attention the next time we go (not until next summer unfortunately).
If you have seen Yeti when he is fully functional, you can definitely tell the difference between that and the strobe light effect. He does look like he is moving with the strobe lights, but when he really moves you think he going to grab you right out of your seat.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
Old 09-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #204
Goofypop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
If you have seen Yeti when he is fully functional, you can definitely tell the difference between that and the strobe light effect. He does look like he is moving with the strobe lights, but when he really moves you think he going to grab you right out of your seat.
We went to EE for the first time in October of 2007 and he was static then as well. Apparently Disney id planning on giving the Yeti some movement but he will never be back to the full "swing" of things. Maybe think of it like a hip replacement. He's still the Yeti but in a diminished capacity. LOL

http://thedisneyblog.com/2010/08/01/...bles-explored/
Goofypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #205
snowy76
I do a panic dance
OMG I looooved my K Tel records!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
Universal performed a coup in getting Harry Potter. It is a unique property with a fan base akin to Disney's. This is not at all the case with Avatar.
Lord of the Rings or Narnia would have been a better fit for Disney (though not necessarily at AK). Those stories have endured for decades. Disney messed up with Narnia big time, though.

CR 12/82 ... CR 12/84 ... Offsite 7/89 ... Swan 8/03 ... AKL 6/04 ... BWV 6/05 ... POP 10/08 ... DTD Hilton 10/09 ... Offsite 8/11 ... DLR 7/12 ... DLR 8/13
snowy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #206
KittyHellstrom
huglife

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwscout View Post
I just thought this was amusing in light of the fact that your signature picture includes Stitch AND a Star Trek t-shirt.

And now, back to the topic at hand.
I know right? I am actually not a fan of Stitch or Star Trek, but Kitty likes them
Trip 3: Animal Kingdom Lodge 10/31 - 11/7 2011
KittyHellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #207
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellsje View Post
No, actually I like to pretend I am an Imagineer! Actually Animal Kingdom is my 2nd favorite park and I love most of what Disney does. I my favorite thing about the park is the trails but the rides are pretty scarce and it needs to be a full day park.

I dont think Avatar is a good fit. Meh. It's a pretty violent movie and isn't very Magical. That's what makes it a better fit at Universal.
I think those are some awesome ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowy76 View Post
Lord of the Rings or Narnia would have been a better fit for Disney (though not necessarily at AK). Those stories have endured for decades. Disney messed up with Narnia big time, though.
Narnia was a big blunder to lose/sell.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #208
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me

Just saw an interview with James Cameron where he revealed a few details about Avatarland at DAK.

Basically, the goal of the land is to put you in Pandora. The land will occupy 12 acres with multiple attractions and offer a complete experience. He goes on to mention this maybe a 1/2 day experience.

12 acres seems large...The only 2 areas I could see for a 12 acre expansion would be removing Camp Minnine Mickey and taking up the rest of the open space behind it, or the area cleared out behind Asia, however that spot sits close to the Kilamanjaro Safaris attraction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=086tOrvi9UE
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #209
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Aaron is probably right but I can't help but observe (wishful thinking) that Dinoland is roughly 12 acres ():

Old 09-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #210
WaltD4Me
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
Aaron is probably right but I can't help but observe (wishful thinking) that Dinoland is roughly 12 acres ():

Interesting. Looks like the perfect size and shape for Avatarland to me.

I read an interesting blog yesterday about Avatarland, he talked about James Cameron being a bit of a control freak and maybe not being so easy to work with. I had heard that before, I hope Joe Rhode is ready for him.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: