Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #181
Jennygt
DIS Veteran

Well I did not even like the movie so I am not into this at all. The acting and the story were weak but the visuals were good so perhaps it will make a goodd ride, but this is not exciting to me at all. My initial reaction is bad choice disney.

Jennygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #182
WorldWacky
DIS Veteran

I was so happy to hear the positive thoughts from Pete on the podcast. I understand that you can't please everybody all of the time, but I was getting so frustrated with the lack of enthusiasm with this news. Afterall, before this, as far as we knew, nothing was in the works for AK. Remember how disappointed everyone was when nothing was announced at D23? I, for one, am convinced that if any company can work their magic, it's Disney.
WorldWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #183
Mouse Skywalker
The Force is strong with this Podcast Correspondent

Hi Everyone, Disney released a video of Bob Iger, Tom Staggs, and James Cameron discussing the project, and I added it to our original article that you can find via the link below.

DIS Unplugged: Disney Announces Avatar Themed Land Coming to Animal Kingdom

2010 WDW Half Marathon; Mickey's Halloween 5K; Wine&Dine Half Marathon
2009 WDW Half Marathon; Muddy Buddy Orlando 2008 Inaugural Exp Everest Chall
2007 Marine Corps Marathon 4:28:50 PR (Thanks again WISHers!)
2007 WL WDW Marathon 5:05.08 (Thank you WISH Racing Team!)
Mouse Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #184
sellsje
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloweenqueen View Post
Avatar would make a good attraction, but not an entire section of AK. I enjoyed the movie, but I don't think it has the makings of a classic, like Indy or Star Wars.
I totally Agree. 1 ride would be good enough. With the amount of money they are throwing at this New Land, it would be better spent on:

1. Fix Dinoland!
A. Replacing Triceratops Spin with a better Dino themed coaster similar to Crush's Coaster in Paris.
B. Refurbishing Dinosaur to bring it up to par w/ Indiana Jones at Disneyland.
C. Add a stage show in prehistoric themed coliseum modeled after the "Walking with Dinosaurs" arena show.
http://www.dinosaurlive.com

2. Upgrade Asia
A. Extend Kali River Rapids to bring it up to par with Grizzly River Run.
B. Add a Dark ride based on Mulan
C. Add a new unique outdoor tree top ride based on The Jungle Book.

3. Accentuate Africa
A. Build a new Mountain coaster based on Mt. Kilimanjaro. Everest needs some company!
B. Add the new Lion King show building!!!
C. The Nile Floom Ride... Theming I'm not sure of but something could work.

When these much needed refurbs were done, then add anew land!!! Fix what's broken first.
Planning DLR - Oct '12
sellsje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #185
Goofypop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellsje View Post
I totally Agree. 1 ride would be good enough. With the amount of money they are throwing at this New Land, it would be better spent on:

1. Fix Dinoland!
A. Replacing Triceratops Spin with a better Dino themed coaster similar to Crush's Coaster in Paris.
C. Add a stage show in prehistoric themed coliseum modeled after the "Walking with Dinosaurs" arena show.

2. Upgrade Asia

3. Accentuate Africa
A. Build a new Mountain coaster based on Mt. Kilimanjaro. Everest needs some company!
C. The Nile Floom Ride... The ming I'm not sure of but something could work.

When these much needed refurbs were done, then add anew land!!! Fix what's broken first.
Those things either aren't broken or aren't built in order to refurb. Nothing to fix there. What you mean to say is "Disney isn't doing what I want them to with the money so they are fools." They've been doing pretty good for 56 years.
Goofypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:58 PM   #186
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellsje View Post

1. Fix Dinoland!

2. Upgrade Asia

3. Accentuate Africa
C. The Nile Floom Ride... Theming I'm not sure of but something could work.

Ummmmmmmm, good list, but # 1 should be ...... FIX THE YETI!!!!!!!!
It was one of my first thoughts when I heard about Avatarland. Leave out a couple blue aliens and use the money on Yeti please.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:43 AM   #187
gracy_hm
Mouseketeer

I understand

I understand peoples thoughts of how the money could have been used but in truth it can't be and won't be diverted. Now even if you dislike the film I think it is impossible to deny the aesthetic power of the planet Pandora. I also think it would be out of sheer stubbornness to deny that even if the film was not to your liking that the world may be to your liking. My example is Wizarding World; I can't stand Harry Potter. The books, the films I just don't enjoy them but Wizarding World was SO much fun.

I am not denying anyone feelings because those are personal perspective and no one should try to change that. I just want to express the view that no matter your feelings towards the film the planet will be breathtaking. With more attractions available to tend with crowds this will allow for other attractions such a Everest to have longer refurbishments and still keep capacity balanced. I am just thankful they are not adding another Chester Hester

I think as time goes on and people actually step foot into this 12 acre land much of those negative feelings will melt away. I am so excited to see what they will create. All discussion seems to make it clear that this is less about the film and more about expanding on the universe Cameron had created. It will separate from the films and exist in it's own right. As others have mentioned with Splash Mountain it is unnecessary to love or even like Songs Of The South to enjoy the attraction. Avatar will bring a new demographic into the parks and will ultimately appease. There will never be enough to appease the world as our demands are ever changing and so varied depending on who you speak to.

Love

gracy_hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #188
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofypop View Post
Those things either aren't broken or aren't built in order to refurb. Nothing to fix there. What you mean to say is "Disney isn't doing what I want them to with the money so they are fools." They've been doing pretty good for 56 years.
I think sellsje stated his thoughts pretty well and doesn't need anyone to re-interpret them.

I think what you mean to say is "I don't agree with what you are saying".

Personally.....I think these are some great ideas and would compliment AK very well.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:25 AM   #189
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #190
Goofypop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I think sellsje stated his thoughts pretty well and doesn't need anyone to re-interpret them.

I think what you mean to say is "I don't agree with what you are saying".

Personally.....I think these are some great ideas and would compliment AK very well.
The point I was attempting to make is that it is very annoying to watch people criticize Disney for this move just because other things need to be fixed or refurbished. Disney knows what they are doing and have proved it pretty readily for 56 years now. I suppose my point was kind of lost on my slightly sarcastic answer but I seriously doubt Disney has only a handful of Imagineers working for them and has them all stuck on two projects, New Fantasyland and Pandora. More likely Disney will be fixing all of the things that need to be fixed but just because they do not make a grand announcement that they are going to be fixing things people get angry and assume that Disney is ignoring the problems. Disney is very aware of the many design and repair issues in the parks but they aren't going to be announcing these repairs to the general public unless it requires them to shut down a ride for them. And even then the public may not get much advanced notice. And as for the Yeti... Disney has already said that a repair for him is unlikely to happen since they would need to tear out a good size chunk of the EE mountain to get him out, fix him, and then put him back in again then hope that he doesn't break his supports again. But just because Disney isn't doing that it doesn't mean that they are apathetic toward the feelings of their guests.
Goofypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #191
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
The point I was attempting to make is that it is very annoying to watch people criticize Disney for this move just because other things need to be fixed or refurbished. Disney knows what they are doing and have proved it pretty readily for 56 years now. I suppose my point was kind of lost on my slightly sarcastic answer but I seriously doubt Disney has only a handful of Imagineers working for them and has them all stuck on two projects, New Fantasyland and Pandora. More likely Disney will be fixing all of the things that need to be fixed but just because they do not make a grand announcement that they are going to be fixing things people get angry and assume that Disney is ignoring the problems. Disney is very aware of the many design and repair issues in the parks but they aren't going to be announcing these repairs to the general public unless it requires them to shut down a ride for them. And even then the public may not get much advanced notice. And as for the Yeti... Disney has already said that a repair for him is unlikely to happen since they would need to tear out a good size chunk of the EE mountain to get him out, fix him, and then put him back in again then hope that he doesn't break his supports again. But just because Disney isn't doing that it doesn't mean that they are apathetic toward the feelings of their guests.
As I stated before....this is a discussion forum where everyone is entitled to their opinion, provided they follow Dis guidelines.

If hearing opinions different than yours annoys you, this might prove more and more difficult.

The Dis and the Dis Unplugged podcast are based on the sharing those opinions whether they be good, bad or indifferent. If you have ever listened to the podcast, I'm sure you are aware that we often state what we think Disney is doing well and not so well.

My hope is that we can continue to share our opinions on this and other topics.

As you can see.....there is not 100% agreement on this topic and that has made for some lively discussion.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #192
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
Ummmmmmmm, good list, but # 1 should be ...... FIX THE YETI!!!!!!!!
Ok. I have a question. I suppose I should know this but I don't. What is wrong with the Yeti? What is it supposed to do that it isn't currently doing? We rode Everest 2 or 3 times last month and I watched it each time and don't know what it is I'm missing.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #193
lorax123
DIS Veteran

wow... so many comments. I've only glanced through a few, but i'm glad other people are just as 'meh' on this as I am. I am still coming to grips that this movie made more money than any movie in history. It was just such a typical action/adventure script. Other than the spectacular effects, the plot, story and characters were forgettable.

I'd rather have seen the money spent towards the rumored Beastly Kingdom, but that would cost just as much and wouldn't garner all the press.

Nothing's right, nothing's wrong, nothing's good, nothing's bad.
lorax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #194
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Ok. I have a question. I suppose I should know this but I don't. What is wrong with the Yeti? What is it supposed to do that it isn't currently doing? We rode Everest 2 or 3 times last month and I watched it each time and don't know what it is I'm missing.
Several posts in this thread, including Aaron's (ADP) explain the sad history: of the Yeti. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677560
Old 09-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #195
book_junkie
DIS Veteran

Scare the Bejeezus out of You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Heya-
It's supposed to move and grab you as you shoot around it on the coaster. Right now, depending on what VIP is in the park, it is either in disco mode (flashing lights for appearance of movement) or completely dark with just the roar. Hubby and I were lucky enough to ride it when it was actually working, and it completely scares the bejeezus out of you because it looked like it was reaching down and grabbing you.

If you go on youtube I'm sure you can find videos... Right now I've got one bookmarked but it doesn't have the yeti moving- instead it's got a disappearing person in a car which has my "kids" convinced that the yeti eats someone each time the train goes through...

Past Trips: Oct 14 Cruise & Land; Nov-Dec 2013; May 2013 WDW; Oct-Nov 2012 WDW; Oct 2011 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct/Nov 2010 WDW; Oct 2010 WDW Mother/Daughter Getaway; Oct 2009 WDW; June 2008 DL ; Nov 2007 WDW Clan Reunion; Nov 2004 WDW; June 1994 WDW Family Trip; March 1986 WDW Family Trip
book_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: