Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #151
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
A [LOTR] theme park would NEVER be OK'd as long as Christopher is head of the estate.
Actually, I think there is a LOTR theme park, it is just called New Zealand.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #152
fromscratchmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpossible87 View Post
You know what I think? They will make Journey to the center of the earth from Tokyo disney and theme it with Avatar...just something that was crossing my mind. Wasnt JTTCOTE a possibility already to come to AK?

I do think its crazy that they already have rights to Lucasfilm stuff and theres not a whole star wars land somewhere or either one of Disneys indianna jones rides.(which both would fit into AK IMO)
All of this really gets my imagination going. Too bad that I don't have the engineering skill set to go with it!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #153
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
Good point.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #154
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromscratchmom View Post
And question number 2: What do y'all think about them making new attractions that don't have to cost millions and use the simpler magic of some of the best older rides?
Unfortunately, it seems that the vocal majority wants thrill rides. The whole appeal of Disney parks used to be (as Walt intended) that it was a place where the whole family could have fun together. More and more, however, family rides are getting outnumbered by thrill rides with a laundry list of warnings that young kids, older folks and people with health issues can't ride. That's where the big money is getting spent. Just look at WWOHP and Forbidden Journey. Months and months of hype for a ride that lots of people can't get on or is too intense for many who can get on it. Neither my wife nor daughter will ride it again. But a low-tech ride like Winnie the Pooh we will ride every chance we get.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #155
jimpossible87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Unfortunately, it seems that the vocal majority wants thrill rides. The whole appeal of Disney parks used to be (as Walt intended) that it was a place where the whole family could have fun together. More and more, however, family rides are getting outnumbered by thrill rides with a laundry list of warnings that young kids, older folks and people with health issues can't ride. That's where the big money is getting spent. Just look at WWOHP and Forbidden Journey. Months and months of hype for a ride that lots of people can't get on or is too intense for many who can get on it. Neither my wife nor daughter will ride it again. But a low-tech ride like Winnie the Pooh we will ride every chance we get.
i def agree. i wish they would make more attractions for the whole family not things I have to go on alone or just with my dad. i remember when i was a kid going with my family and my mom and dad and me and my sister rode everything together with just a few exceptions (space mountain) but thats what disney is all about to me enjoying something with your whole family. you can go to an amusement park in anywhere USA and go on a roller coaster
jimpossible87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #156
WDW Obsessed
Mouseketeer

+1 I hope they keep it family oriented for sure. Yeah we all like thrill rides, but it's about bonding with the fam, not thirll rides, especially for Disney. I think as long as they keep it more like a play area with a few rides it'll work out. *shrug*
WDW Obsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #157
fromscratchmom
DIS Veteran

I agree with these opinions on the need for attractions for the whole family and I guess what I'm hoping for in the future is a mix of the two kinds of things. Lots of whole family with still a sprinkling of thrill rides coming along
Old 09-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #158
baby1disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpossible87 View Post
Why do some people on this board think that the peple that dont like Avatar dont like change and dont support Disney and new attractions? I dont get these comments. I LOVE new stuff, thats why I follow these boards so I can read about new things. I just hated that movie. Why do people have to like it? People who dont like something you like are ignorant and stupid?
I'm not saying people who don't like what I like are stupid and ignorant. That was a saying I've always been told since I've been little. If everyone liked the same things, this world would be boring. It's in the same context of people who don't like a certain race/culture because they don't understand them/it. It's in the same context who won't give someone a chance because they have tattoos all over them so people assume that they're mean and bad. These are not my own opinions, but stereotypes from all around. It is known that when people don't like something..don't like change..the first thing they do is complain and buck about it. I've done it and then once I've gotten to know someone or tried whatever it was, I either liked them/it or I didn't.

All I'm saying is that people need to give something a chance before try start bashing it and saying that it won't work especially when it hasn't even been created yet or shown yet. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I can appreciate that. But sometimes, we humans, tend to complain a bit too much before understanding something we don't know about and that is new to us.
OKWw/DF and DS and inlaws--October 2007
AKV w/DH, DS and inlaws--March 2009
SSR w/Inlaws--October 2010
baby1disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #159
nll007
Earning My Ears

This rates a big meh. I thought the movie was overrated and have no plans to watch the rest of the trilogy. Is this supposed to be Disney's answer to WWOHP? And like one poster mentioned, my kid could care less about this.

But I have to give Disney credit for one thing, they will probably do a great job with the theming. But since AK closes around 5pm, won't be be missing one of the best visuals on the movie the fantastic dark affects? The glowing trees and such could be amazing to see...if the park opened late enough for us to enjoy.
nll007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #160
fromscratchmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nll007 View Post
But since AK closes around 5pm, won't be be missing one of the best visuals on the movie the fantastic dark affects? The glowing trees and such could be amazing to see...if the park opened late enough for us to enjoy.
... But... Disney is so great with the "dark rides". It can be a crazy hot and bright day outside and the crowds can love the coolness and dark of the attraction.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #161
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

I thought this was an April Fools joke, but it's not April....hmm....

Really? Avatar? Come on, there are many better choices out there.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #162
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #163
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-hi..._b_973615.html An interesting article on the new deal from everybody's favorite, Jim Hill.

What I find interesting is the mention that WDI was most intrigued by things like the creatures of Pandora and the world of Pandora after dark. They also mentioned the possible use of technologies such as projections and holography to help bring the world to life.

That got me to thinking.... Imagine how awesome and immersive the new land could be if they integrated the same tech used to bring us the Magic Memories and Me Castle show at the MK into this new land to create the atmosphere of Pandora at night.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #164
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
I thought this was an April Fools joke, but it's not April....hmm....

Really? Avatar? Come on, there are many better choices out there.
My thoughts exactly! While I usually enjoy hearing about anything new coming to the parks, I just don't understand this at all.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #165
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromscratchmom View Post
... But... Disney is so great with the "dark rides". It can be a crazy hot and bright day outside and the crowds can love the coolness and dark of the attraction.
So they would make an outdoor world an inside attraction at Animal Kingdom? That would kinda defeat the purpose of putting it there wouldn't it?
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: