Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #586
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
Well, I was right about the pregnancy, so that's 1 for 3.

FWIW, nearly all LEO's who work for the US Dept. of Justice train at Marine Base Quantico at some point. While the DOJ training facility there it is most closely associated with FBI Academy, that isn't all that they do. They also train quite a few state, local, and even foreign LEO's, who participate in the Academy's advanced seminars. It is very likely that Kate would end up there for tactical training if she joins the DOJ, or even if she just moved to the Counterterrorism Bureau at NYPD.

Anyway, I ended up with a stomachache after watching this ep, because I'm 22 years on from the same sort of decision, and sometimes the "what if's?" still get to me. When I got married I torpedoed my career advancement prospects (b/c prestigious jobs in my field require frequent relocation, while DH's requires a license, which he holds in only a few states.) At the time I consoled myself that he had much higher earning prospects, which was true, and I also got a promise that we would relocate nearer to a coast, which has not happened, and at this point, probably never will. I've mostly made peace with my choice, but every now and again I meet someone who is where I once planned to be, and a little bubble of resentment will float up and perch on my shoulder for awhile.

So, while I think that she's all kinds of an irritating fool for being so dense and skittish, I understand why Beckett did what she did. She was sure that if she pushed Castle he would deflect and defend the status quo, so she opted not to risk it; and in her usual defensive posture did instead what her dad suspected she would do -- only this time, the tactic failed. She's the one up against the wall now, and Castle is not going to let her crawfish out easily. That line about scratching and clawing for every inch was very telling: he knows what he wants and he is now willing to do whatever it takes to get it. (It will be interesting to see if Beckett puts as much weight into a trusted parent's advice as Castle did.)

It's going to be a long summer with those words hovering in mid-air.(However, I did get a bit of a grin out of Marlowe and TEM *literally* leaving us hanging.)

And, because I'm feeling nostalgic, it seems apropos to quote Jimmy Webb:

The end has come and found us here
With our toys scattered all around us here
The puzzle that we never found an answer for
Still asks us, darlin', just what all the games were for
And here we stand, in a box of sand

Where's the playground, Susie?
You're the one who's supposed to know her way around
Where's the playground, Susie?
If I don't stay around?

The carousel has stopped us here
It twirled a time or two and then it dropped us here
And still you're not content with something about me
But what merry-go-round can you ride without me
To take your hand? How would you stand?
Well, to totally hijack the thread, I felt the same way. I did something similar -- I was on track to be a school band director, but DH moved around so much that I had trouble keeping up with licensing. Each state we moved to, I just got the first job I could get, up until our last move 15 years ago. So now I'm 15 years in to an association management career, and he's job searching AGAIN (tenured university faculty let go because they're eliminating the department).

I'm having a lot of trouble now that he's looking, because unless he stays in Chicagoland or moves to NoVA/DC, I'm going to be in the same position I was in 15 years ago, looking for a career. And I make 1/3 more than he does.

Back to Castle, I LOVED Martha's sit down with him. It was one of the most mature discussions I can remember on the show with them.

Removing all of the technical/financial show issues, from a storyline point, if she does turn down the job, she will need to have some resolution of the career growth problems or it will become an infection through the show and their relationship.

When the computer lady was talking to Javier and Kevin, I had a brief thought that they were going to break-up, Kate was going to take the job and leave, and they would bring in a new person to take Kate's place on the show. VERY brief, very, very brief.

Gonna be a long summer.......

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #587
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Yes, I loved Martha's scene as well; Susan Sullivan nailed that. PJJ tweeted that the ep was about trust, but I would say that it was more about fear -- and how it can rule our lives and lead us to do things to our detriment if we don't face it.D

Last night as I was watching Kate struggle, I kept hearing a voiceover in my head of Castle's long speech back in "Knockout" -- when he accused her of using her mother's death as an excuse not to risk ever losing anyone again.

You know, thinking of Jimmy Webb made me think of another lyric of his, one that think is one of the most poignant lines ever written in a love song, and one that I think sums up how the character of Castle feels about Beckett. The line is, "And I need you more than want you, and I want you for all time." Castle simply cannot give up on her, no matter how badly he sometimes wants to, to save himself the pain that she keeps inadvertently inflicting out of fear. (You know, I've observed in the past that even though popular culture likes to insist that only women are romantic, my own experience tells me that men often love much more deeply than we do and for reasons that are not always the most obvious ones. I think that Marlowe taps into that very well.) Even though Castle KNOWS that being with her is always going to hurt on some level because she is an emotional cripple, he just cannot walk away.

OK, spoiler in the next paragraph:

Was I wrong in coming away with the impression that what Becket is really afraid of re: the job, is resenting Castle if she chooses NOT to take it in order to stay with him? It seems to me that in her mind, the question was rather black & white: "do I leave him to take the job on the task force?" or "do I continue to work with him at NYPD and pass up the job on the task force?". I didn't get the impression that she was leaving any room open in her mind for "Do we move to DC together so that I can stay with him AND take the job on the task force?" That remark to her Dad about the 5-year dance seemed to me to primarily reference WORKING with Castle, not so much being in love with him. It seems to me that what she is most afraid of in the end is what will happen to the rest of their relationship if they leave behind the working component of it. Will there still be any chemistry if they can't build theory and chase bad guys together? If you think about it, that is an argument in favor of her actually taking the DOJ job but staying romantically involved with Castle, so that she can find out once and for all if her fascination for Rick is real, or just a side-effect of the "dance". (Also, was that the most terror-stricken marriage proposal ever, or what? Fillion rather convincingly looked like he might be sick with the anxiety of worrying about getting a refusal.)

I was thinking earlier today about one fun "complication" that her working at DOJ could open the door for: having Beckett encounter Castle's Dad in a professional capacity. He's quite a wild card, and I don't think it was ever definitely established which branch of the Federal Govt. that he actually works for. There could be a lot of fun possibilities for his Dad to get in between Rick and Kate by turning up on the same case as Beckett in some capacity.
(As for Caskett being secretly married if Beckett stays at NYPD, the reason for that would be Gates: she can maintain plausible deniability about their intimate relationship so long as they don't get married, but once they start filing paperwork listing one another as legal next of kin, then that horse is out of the barn.)

PS: I wonder if the timing of the release of the new Nikki Heat novel could be a plot point in terms of the whole business of whether or not she takes/keeps the DOJ job. The notoriety of her "being" Nikki Heat could presumably cause problems in terms of being taken seriously as part of this special investigative team.

Last edited by NotUrsula; 05-15-2013 at 10:18 AM.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #588
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why
Fell for it on 17th birthday
Can't travel in old underwear and socks!
Stop eating with food in your mouths!

Well, I've had a few days to think that over....I wasn't shocked by the proposal as I had guessed that. Overall, it was a really good episode.

I loved:

Rick's scene with Martha. Love how she was the voice of reason.

Kate's scene with Jim. Love Jim Beckett, hope we get to see a little more of him in the future.

Loved Javi's reaction to Kevin thinking Kate was pregnant. And his complete turnaround when he found out that Jenny is pregnant.

I even liked the scene between Rick & Kate when he found the boarding pass. And that is the 3rd argument in her apartment during season finales. And now we understand why Rick said "the end of our relationship" in the promo - after she withheld the info about the job and the interview, I see what he meant.

loved the Rick/Alexis scenes. They are always great together, but those scenes really worked.

And of course, the scene on the swings. The proposal was a little bit too serious, but overall I really liked the scene.

I do think Beckett was going to take the job after she talked to her dad. But I think she had an epiphany while interrogating the suspect - she realized the work she does already is important, that she's great at it, and being in NY with her "family" is important to her too. I think she's learned to balance work & fun, because Rick helped her. (remember back in season 2 - Sucker Punch? she told him then he made her job more fun)

Now what do I think happens next? I don't know! If you asked me right after it was over, I would have thought she going to say no. But about 5 minutes later, I thought she might say "not now", then I thought she'd say yes. I lean toward "not now", and that she'll tell him we need to work on some stuff first. And she still could be the one who actually proposes sometime next year. Maybe. Ask me again in 5 minutes.......
Castle Every morning I bring you a cup of coffee, just so I can see a smile on your face. Because I think you are the most remarkable, maddening, challenging, frustrating, person I've ever met. And I love you Kate

Castle: Everything Iíve ever done, every choice Iíve ever made, every terrible or wonderful thing thatís ever happened to me, itís all led me to right here, this moment with you.

Beckett: I need you to know that our partnership, our relationship, is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. You're an amazing man and I love you with all of my heart. Always.

Beckett: I found the tape. I found it. It's over. Senator Bracken, you are under arrest for conspiracy, fraud and the murder of my mother, Johanna Beckett.

Castle: She's proud of you. Wherever she is, she's proud.
Missy1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #589
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

By the way, I bought the Derrick Storm book, Storm Front, for my Kindle and read it last week. To me, it read like a mystery novel rather than a spy novel. It was pretty good, a fast read. And there were lots of familiar names in there. Derrick deals with: Timothy Demming, Wilhelm Sorenson (both of them in very interesting ways), Capt. Roy Montgomery (that was cool), and for fun - Nikki Heat and Jameson Rook. Not a bad story.

And the paperback of "Frozen Heat" is out. It has chapter 1 of "Deadly Heat" and that certainly whetted my appetite. I do hope they remember to include Eunice!
Castle Every morning I bring you a cup of coffee, just so I can see a smile on your face. Because I think you are the most remarkable, maddening, challenging, frustrating, person I've ever met. And I love you Kate

Castle: Everything Iíve ever done, every choice Iíve ever made, every terrible or wonderful thing thatís ever happened to me, itís all led me to right here, this moment with you.

Beckett: I need you to know that our partnership, our relationship, is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. You're an amazing man and I love you with all of my heart. Always.

Beckett: I found the tape. I found it. It's over. Senator Bracken, you are under arrest for conspiracy, fraud and the murder of my mother, Johanna Beckett.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #590
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

I'm kind of leaning toward, "Rick, I ... wait -- how long have you had that?"

Seriously, I'm thinking that initially, she'll dodge the question a bit, but in his mood, he's going to insist on some kind of answer, so after a few minutes, she'll give him one, and I think that the answer is going to be that she will accept the ring but insist on a long engagement. (I seriously hope that they have the first scene of 6-1 in the can already, because it will be really hard to re-create the tension on their faces if they have to pick up right in the middle of that scene -- not to mention that the foliage in the park won't match if they wait until August to film it!)

I had a little fun going frame by frame through Kate's expressions during Rick's speech. At first she looked apologetic and nervous, then puzzled, then her lip started to quiver a bit when he got to "I've decided that I want more", then she was visibly gulping back tears when she ground out "I agree", and was about to go into stiff-upper-lip territory when he dropped, at which point she went to deer-in-headlights.

Based on her face when she sat down, I think that she was going to tell him that she was not going to DC, but then resolved to run away after all when he got to the "I want more" line -- until he floored her by taking that knee. I think that right at this frozen moment, she has no clue what the heck to do.

(PS: I have to say that I'm with Espo on the name thing, now that I've read Storm Front. Graham Cracker? Seriously? It's like James Bond names weren't silly enough, we had to go one better. Alas, poor Demming -- Castle *really* hates the poor guy, doesn't he? ((I'm going to love it if Kate teases Castle about what he did to Demming in the book.))

Last edited by NotUrsula; 05-23-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #591
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

spoiler about the answer here:

http://tvline.com/2013/05/21/revenge...ngsscoopsalert

Old 05-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #592
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

Molly Quinn, Tamala Jones & Susan Sullivan talk:

http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/Castle...-Video/9111448

Old 05-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #593
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

TV Guide:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mega-Buz...s-1065969.aspx

Old 05-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #594
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

A few new quotes from Marlowe re. Season 6

http://cartermatt.com/63706/abcs-cas...esposito-fans/
Old 05-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #595
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
I'm kind of leaning toward, "Rick, I ... wait -- how long have you had that?"

Seriously, I'm thinking that initially, she'll dodge the question a bit, but in his mood, he's going to insist on some kind of answer, so after a few minutes, she'll give him one, and I think that the answer is going to be that she will accept the ring but insist on a long engagement. (I seriously hope that they have the first scene of 6-1 in the can already, because it will be really hard to re-create the tension on their faces if they have to pick up right in the middle of that scene -- not to mention that the foliage in the park won't match if they wait until August to film it!)

I had a little fun going frame by frame through Kate's expressions during Rick's speech. At first she looked apologetic and nervous, then puzzled, then her lip started to quiver a bit when he got to "I've decided that I want more", then she was visibly gulping back tears when she ground out "I agree", and was about to go into stiff-upper-lip territory when he dropped, at which point she went to deer-in-headlights.

Based on her face when she sat down, I think that she was going to tell him that she was not going to DC, but then resolved to run away after all when he got to the "I want more" line -- until he floored her by taking that knee. I think that right at this frozen moment, she has no clue what the heck to do.

(PS: I have to say that I'm with Espo on the name thing, now that I've read Storm Front. Graham Cracker? Seriously? It's like James Bond names weren't silly enough, we had to go one better. Alas, poor Demming -- Castle *really* hates the poor guy, doesn't he? ((I'm going to love it if Kate teases Castle about what he did to Demming in the book.))
Yeah, when I rewatched it I had fun watching Kate's face. Lots of fun.

Of course, it's possible that they filmed the answer already. But if they didn't I don't think too many fans are going to be looking at the foliage. I know I won't. If the answer is yes, I doubt I'd even notice, LOL. And part of me thinks they may not even show us the immediate answer - if the answer is yes, they'll show it, but otherwise they may not. I thought Molly Quinn had a fun way to open season 6 - showing Castle making breakfast, so you're not sure if it's for him & Alexis or him alone or him & Kate.

And as for a secret wedding, I've always felt that they had a way out of the no partner dating rule - he's not an official member of the NYPD - he doesn't get paid and he signed all kinds of waivers way back when. They knew Gates didn't like him (she had booted him out when Kate was recovering from being shot) so they figured she'd use the rule against him if she had a chance. And now they know that she's known for a while (I think she's known from the beginning) and she let him stay.

It should be interesting no matter what!

Old 05-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #596
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

top 10 scenes YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTig9...em-subs_digest

Old 05-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #597
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

No episode airing tonight on ABC. They will be showing "Swan Song" on Saturday, June 1 at 10 PM. They did the repeat thing on Saturdays the last few summers, and even a few times this year. There are also a few episodes on TNT today from 8 - 11 PM.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #598
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

I hope they at least get past the NY-DC nonsense.

1) Lots of people do it. It's amazingly easy to traverse the Northeast Corridor.
2) Rick is a writer. And rich. He can live anywhere. Heck, he can live in both places if he wants to.

Or is it just that they won't be working on cases together?

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #599
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post
I hope they at least get past the NY-DC nonsense.

1) Lots of people do it. It's amazingly easy to traverse the Northeast Corridor.
2) Rick is a writer. And rich. He can live anywhere. Heck, he can live in both places if he wants to.

Or is it just that they won't be working on cases together?
Well, when he proposed he did say 'whatever you decide", in other words, he'd go to DC with her. Because that wasn't his problem with her interviewing for the job - it was that she didn't tell him anything. And he does have his insecurities too. Think about it- he knows that a big part of the thrill for them is solving cases together. Building theory turns them on. If they don't have that, he's worried that they'll fall apart. And that worries her too - she told her dad that she was scared that all they had was the chase, and now that was over, what does that mean for their relationship?

But I have never felt that she was taking the job - it would change the show too much. There is no way you move Ryan & Espo too. And the show is really about relationships - not the murders. It's about the Castle/Beckett relationship, the relationship between Rick & his mom, Rick & Alexis, Beckett & the guys, the guys & Rick. And now we can throw in Gates & her relationship with Kate & even her relationship with Rick. The cast works very well together - there is almost no way they are breaking them up. I even feel that if Kate & Rick ever broke up, it wouldn't be permanent.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #600
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

cute YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRMyuOfmDr0

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: