Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #571
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneefun View Post
Liked last night's episode, but the set up for the season finale seems weak to me. It looks like it'll be, "Will she take the job, or won't she?" But that wouldn't have to end their relationship, because he's a writer and can work anywhere. His daughter's in college, so he's not tied to New York except for Martha, and she's a grown woman with her own life. He's got plenty of money, so relocating isn't even a financial hardship.

I don't know. Unless there's something else... Just doesn't seem like much of a cliffhanger, or something that would be made a big deal of in real life. If he loved her, he could just pack up his laptop and go with her.

I'm guessing that you don't hang out with a lot of native Manhattanites? There is a certain species of New York City native that is absolutely lost anywhere else, and it could be a good comic spin to make that one of Castle's hangups.

Seriously, you are correct, of course; he can relocate anywhere for her with little inconvenience to himself, but presumably, having her become a federal agent would mean no longer WORKING with her on a regular basis. The feds are not nearly as tolerant of hangers-on as a municipal dept. might be; even one as large as NYPD. (Unless of course, Castle can get himself licensed as a defense contractor; THAT seems to be rather simple if you throw enouch money at your local elected representative -- oh, wait; their local elected representative is Bracken! )

I think that the idea of their working partnership as the source of their chemistry is probably the basis for the cliffhanger -- can their romantic partnership survive long-term without the constant adrenaline rush that they both crave, and that they get from working together in the field? I'm guessing that they will be afraid that it cannot. (And that there will be jokes about the difficulty of getting decent pizza in DC, LOL)
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #572
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why
Fell for it on 17th birthday
Can't travel in old underwear and socks!
Stop eating with food in your mouths!

Interesting news:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/abcs...season-pickup/
Kate: The moment that I met you, my life became extraordinary. You taught me to be my best self, to look forward to tomorrow’s adventures. And when I was vulnerable, you were strong. I love you Richard Castle and I want to live my life in the warmth of your smile and the strength of your embrace. I promise you that I will love you, be your friend, and your partner in crime and in life. Always.

Rick: The moment we met, my life became extraordinary. You taught me more about myself than I knew there was to learn. You are the joy in my heart. You’re the last person I want to see every night when I close my eyes. I love you Katherine Beckett. And the mystery of you is the one I want to spend the rest of my life exploring. I promise to love you, to be your friend and your partner in crime and in life. Till death do us part, for the time of our lives.

Kate: This has been an epic year, Life's been full of joy & tears. Solving crimes & catching killers, Just like Castle's favorite thrillers. We share a passion every day, As partners go, we're here to stay
Missy1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #573
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy1961 View Post
Wow! 2 seasons! That's great!

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #574
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesmurfs View Post
Wow! 2 seasons! That's great!
Also darned-near unheard-of in US network TV. The overseas syndication rights must be fetching a REALLY nice price for ABC to make this kind of advance commitment.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #575
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

It's officially been renewed....no mention of 2 yrs but that still may be coming.

http://tvline.com/2013/05/10/abc-ren...dal-nashville/
Kate: The moment that I met you, my life became extraordinary. You taught me to be my best self, to look forward to tomorrow’s adventures. And when I was vulnerable, you were strong. I love you Richard Castle and I want to live my life in the warmth of your smile and the strength of your embrace. I promise you that I will love you, be your friend, and your partner in crime and in life. Always.

Rick: The moment we met, my life became extraordinary. You taught me more about myself than I knew there was to learn. You are the joy in my heart. You’re the last person I want to see every night when I close my eyes. I love you Katherine Beckett. And the mystery of you is the one I want to spend the rest of my life exploring. I promise to love you, to be your friend and your partner in crime and in life. Till death do us part, for the time of our lives.

Kate: This has been an epic year, Life's been full of joy & tears. Solving crimes & catching killers, Just like Castle's favorite thrillers. We share a passion every day, As partners go, we're here to stay
Old 05-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #576
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

sneak peek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgaCDMKhTh4

Not a happy one, that's for sure.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #577
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

Another serious one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwgE3WGJlWs

Old 05-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #578
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

sneak peek #3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lirp3FcQZhE

Old 05-13-2013, 01:32 PM   #579
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

sneak peek #4:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_Tow8etYUg

Old 05-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #580
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

I have a feeling it's going to be a very interesting show tonight. I do know that Martha & Jim will both be in the episode, and Alexis will need Rick for something.

The folks that get to view episodes in advance were given copies minus the last few minutes of the episode, so obviously something big happens then. Some are predicating break up, some are predicating marriage proposals, some are even predicating a pregnancy.

Me? I keep going back and forth between break up (with a make up in the fall) or Kate proposing to Rick. I don't think they'd do a baby, but you never know! Marlowe did say that Season 6 is going to be "full of complications" so a baby would fit that bill. Or could Castle or Kate be sick?

Old 05-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #581
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy1961 View Post
I have a feeling it's going to be a very interesting show tonight. I do know that Martha & Jim will both be in the episode, and Alexis will need Rick for something.
Word is that Alexis is going to address the subject of the kidnapping, finally.

Quote:
The folks that get to view episodes in advance were given copies minus the last few minutes of the episode, so obviously something big happens then. Some are predicating break up, some are predicating marriage proposals, some are even predicating a pregnancy.
There is simply no way that Marlowe is going to do two pregnancies in one season, so that is out, IMO. I'm sure that the "pregnancy" that will be discussed is Jenny's -- Kevin is going to go public with it.

Quote:
Me? I keep going back and forth between break up (with a make up in the fall) or Kate proposing to Rick. I don't think they'd do a baby, but you never know! Marlowe did say that Season 6 is going to be "full of complications" so a baby would fit that bill. Or could Castle or Kate be sick?
The Canadian promo includes a scene with Kate discussing the offer with Gates, but it doesn't really give anything away. However, it *could* dawn on Kate that Gates would not be able to maintain plausible deniability if marriage is on the table; if they want to marry, either Kate leaves or Castle does. My own wild guess after seeing the previews is that perhaps they are going to use the summer as the cliffhanger: Kate takes a leave of absence from the NYPD in order to go to Quantico for training; leaving her final decision until the end of summer.

I've been thinking about costs, and what it would mean to relocate the show to DC. As we know from Bones, setting a show in DC means filming a LOT of establishing shots on location, because the architecture is so iconic. I can't see that being in the budget that ABC allots for Castle; they famously shoot it on a shoestring. If Kate does take the job (and my hunch is that she eventually will decide not to), then my bet is that she will be assigned to work in a NYC field office, primarily so that they don't have to spend a lot of money on a "relocation" -- location filming, new permanent sets, repainting all of the NYPD props, etc.

Naturally, if Kate leaves NYC for three months, she probably will give up her apartment or sublet it -- which of course, paves the way for moving in with Castle when she comes back.

PS: I just thought of an option that WOULD add an enormous number of "complications" -- a clandestine wedding. However, while I *can* see Kate going for getting married by a JP in the loft with only Jim, Martha, and Alexis present (and perhaps Dad?), I can't imagine Castle being able to successfully hide the truth for very long. (And that would go double if they actually eloped -- can you see them trying to hide a marriage from Alexis and their parents?)

Oh, well ... just a few hours now. I can't wait to see how badly I guessed, LOL!

Last edited by NotUrsula; 05-13-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:31 PM   #582
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
Word is that Alexis is going to address the subject of the kidnapping, finally.

There is simply no way that Marlowe is going to do two pregnancies in one season, so that is out, IMO. I'm sure that the "pregnancy" that will be discussed is Jenny's -- Kevin is going to go public with it.

The Canadian promo includes a scene with Kate discussing the offer with Gates, but it doesn't really give anything away. However, it *could* dawn on Kate that Gates would not be able to maintain plausible deniability if marriage is on the table; if they want to marry, either Kate leaves or Castle does. My own wild guess after seeing the previews is that perhaps they are going to use the summer as the cliffhanger: Kate takes a leave of absence from the NYPD in order to go to Quantico for training; leaving her final decision until the end of summer.

I've been thinking about costs, and what it would mean to relocate the show to DC. As we know from Bones, setting a show in DC means filming a LOT of establishing shots on location, because the architecture is so iconic. I can't see that being in the budget that ABC allots for Castle; they famously shoot it on a shoestring. If Kate does take the job (and my hunch is that she eventually will decide not to), then my bet is that she will be assigned to work in a NYC field office, primarily so that they don't have to spend a lot of money on a "relocation" -- location filming, new permanent sets, repainting all of the NYPD props, etc.

Naturally, if Kate leaves NYC for three months, she probably will give up her apartment or sublet it -- which of course, paves the way for moving in with Castle when she comes back.

PS: I just thought of an option that WOULD add an enormous number of "complications" -- a clandestine wedding. However, while I *can* see Kate going for getting married by a JP in the loft with only Jim, Martha, and Alexis present (and perhaps Dad?), I can't imagine Castle being able to successfully hide the truth for very long. (And that would go double if they actually eloped -- can you see them trying to hide a marriage from Alexis and their parents?)

Oh, well ... just a few hours now. I can't wait to see how badly I guessed, LOL!
Well, the job in question is with the US Attorney General, thus the Dept. of Justice, not the FBI so there wouldn't be training at Quantico.

But there is almost no way she's taking this job - even if it meant working in NY. I doubt Marlowe wants to mess with success - we don't get to see Lainie all that much now, and if Kate isn't a cop anymore, we'd almost never see her. And the chemistry between Javi & Kevin, and the guys & Kate & Rick wouldn't be the same either.

I knew the stuff with Alexis & Rick was about the kidnapping. And I knew he wouldn't do a Kate/Rick baby yet.

I've thought on this some more -we'll know that the job is hers if she wants it. And we'll know she's seriously thinking about it. We won't know for sure what she's doing, and I really think the cliffhanger is going to be a proposal. Maybe Rick tells her he'll go to DC with her if she wants the job, and then propose. Then we''ll find out what she did next fall. Like we're all guessing, she won't take the job. (I don't think they'll have her quit or take a leave, especially after the one day resignation after Season 4) Then the engagement will be the complication. Alexis may be OK with them dating, but marriage may be a whole different thing for her. Does Martha continue to live with Rick, and thus Kate? Do Rick & Kate get another place to live? And the fact that he would probably want to pay for a new place but Kate wouldn't want him to and that could cause problems. I don't know about an elopement of a clandestine marriage (why would they keep it a secret?) but I bet they'll both assume the other wants a fancy wedding when all they both want is a simple ceremony with the 'family'- Martha, Alexis, Jim, the guys, Lainie, Jenny & the baby.

I just gave Marlowe & co. a whole lot of complications, free of charge.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #583
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

I'm off to get ready........

Old 05-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #584
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

Gonna take me a while to decide what I think about that.....

Old 05-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #585
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Well, I was right about the pregnancy, so that's 1 for 3.

FWIW, nearly all LEO's who work for the US Dept. of Justice train at Marine Base Quantico at some point. While the DOJ training facility there it is most closely associated with FBI Academy, that isn't all that they do. They also train quite a few state, local, and even foreign LEO's, who participate in the Academy's advanced seminars. It is very likely that Kate would end up there for tactical training if she joins the DOJ, or even if she just moved to the Counterterrorism Bureau at NYPD.

Anyway, I ended up with a stomachache after watching this ep, because I'm 22 years on from the same sort of decision, and sometimes the "what if's?" still get to me. When I got married I torpedoed my career advancement prospects (b/c prestigious jobs in my field require frequent relocation, while DH's requires a license, which he holds in only a few states.) At the time I consoled myself that he had much higher earning prospects, which was true, and I also got a promise that we would relocate nearer to a coast, which has not happened, and at this point, probably never will. I've mostly made peace with my choice, but every now and again I meet someone who is where I once planned to be, and a little bubble of resentment will float up and perch on my shoulder for awhile.

So, while I think that she's all kinds of an irritating fool for being so dense and skittish, I understand why Beckett did what she did. She was sure that if she pushed Castle he would deflect and defend the status quo, so she opted not to risk it; and in her usual defensive posture did instead what her dad suspected she would do -- only this time, the tactic failed. She's the one up against the wall now, and Castle is not going to let her crawfish out easily. That line about scratching and clawing for every inch was very telling: he knows what he wants and he is now willing to do whatever it takes to get it. (It will be interesting to see if Beckett puts as much weight into a trusted parent's advice as Castle did.)

It's going to be a long summer with those words hovering in mid-air.(However, I did get a bit of a grin out of Marlowe and TEM *literally* leaving us hanging.)

And, because I'm feeling nostalgic, it seems apropos to quote Jimmy Webb:

The end has come and found us here
With our toys scattered all around us here
The puzzle that we never found an answer for
Still asks us, darlin', just what all the games were for
And here we stand, in a box of sand

Where's the playground, Susie?
You're the one who's supposed to know her way around
Where's the playground, Susie?
If I don't stay around?

The carousel has stopped us here
It twirled a time or two and then it dropped us here