Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #406
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why
Fell for it on 17th birthday
Can't travel in old underwear and socks!
Stop eating with food in your mouths!

Beckett:

http://us-mg1.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch#mail
Kate: The moment that I met you, my life became extraordinary. You taught me to be my best self, to look forward to tomorrow’s adventures. And when I was vulnerable, you were strong. I love you Richard Castle and I want to live my life in the warmth of your smile and the strength of your embrace. I promise you that I will love you, be your friend, and your partner in crime and in life. Always.

Rick: The moment we met, my life became extraordinary. You taught me more about myself than I knew there was to learn. You are the joy in my heart. You’re the last person I want to see every night when I close my eyes. I love you Katherine Beckett. And the mystery of you is the one I want to spend the rest of my life exploring. I promise to love you, to be your friend and your partner in crime and in life. Till death do us part, for the time of our lives.

Kate: This has been an epic year, Life's been full of joy & tears. Solving crimes & catching killers, Just like Castle's favorite thrillers. We share a passion every day, As partners go, we're here to stay
Missy1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #407
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
Gina Torres stars in a delightful series called "Suits." Domineering. . .in a good way.

SPOILER FOLLOWS! (I know it says "spoilers welcome" but just in case )

As for the part 2 episode that just aired, I for one thought it jumped the shark. There, I said it. I love "Castle," enjoy Fillion (since his days as Mal), and think there's life left in the series. But, really? France? Spy stuff? A blind guy who can identify specific sounds in a city of millions? A Russian dude who just happens to own a cage in which to keep a human hostage in the middle of his high-rent penthouse? It was just too much to swallow.
You have some valid points, and my DH also used the dreaded "shark" phrase, but I think that a lot of it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek homage, both to past episodes or to films. I think it was supposed to be a gift to the show's fan base -- however misguided that may have been.

Obviously, Paris was a nod to Taken, as I think also was having Christopher Heyerdahl wear that particular style of hair and beard, which strongly resembled the style Neeson wore in Batman Begins. "Dad is a spy" goes way back in this show, to the time in (I think the second season) that Alexis asked if he ever regretted not knowing, and Castle tells her that not knowing means that he can pretend anything he wants to, including that Dad is a master spy. The whole thing with the church and the church bells is probably a Hitchcock homage to The Man Who Knew Too Much -- not coincidentally, a story of a man who is mistaken for a spy searching for his child who has been kidnapped by a ring of spies. As for the cage, that was the kind of cage that is used in apartment building basements to lock tenants' possessions, they ship flat, so it would be the easiest way to build a temporary prison cell if you wanted one.

Marlowe said they could only do that once -- meaning putting Alexis in danger and also spending the money to finance filming abroad. In future, I recommend that they stay away from both of those things.

What I've noticed this season and in part of S4 is that Castle has become nearly completely Kate-centric, and it is watering him down. What happened to the guy who had mysterious friends all over the place? Love shouldn't make him THIS much of a dull dog.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #408
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
You have some valid points, and my DH also used the dreaded "shark" phrase, but I think that a lot of it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek homage, both to past episodes or to films. I think it was supposed to be a gift to the show's fan base -- however misguided that may have been.

Obviously, Paris was a nod to Taken, as I think also was having Christopher Heyerdahl wear that particular style of hair and beard, which strongly resembled the style Neeson wore in Batman Begins. "Dad is a spy" goes way back in this show, to the time in (I think the second season) that Alexis asked if he ever regretted not knowing, and Castle tells her that not knowing means that he can pretend anything he wants to, including that Dad is a master spy. The whole thing with the church and the church bells is probably a Hitchcock homage to The Man Who Knew Too Much -- not coincidentally, a story of a man who is mistaken for a spy searching for his child who has been kidnapped by a ring of spies. As for the cage, that was the kind of cage that is used in apartment building basements to lock tenants' possessions, they ship flat, so it would be the easiest way to build a temporary prison cell if you wanted one.

Marlowe said they could only do that once -- meaning putting Alexis in danger and also spending the money to finance filming abroad. In future, I recommend that they stay away from both of those things.

What I've noticed this season and in part of S4 is that Castle has become nearly completely Kate-centric, and it is watering him down. What happened to the guy who had mysterious friends all over the place? Love shouldn't make him THIS much of a dull dog.
Well reasoned, and based on said arguments and my own enjoyment of the show, I'm willing to forgive them as it was, indeed, a very "misguided" episode. I'm surprised Marlowe mentioning the cost since it was obvious most of the scenes were nowhere near Paris. I completely agree with the watered down Castle so far this season (though, ironically, this 2-episode arc righted that ship somewhat). Let's hope the remainder of the season is stronger.

sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #409
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well reasoned, and based on said arguments and my own enjoyment of the show, I'm willing to forgive them as it was, indeed, a very "misguided" episode. I'm surprised Marlowe mentioning the cost since it was obvious most of the scenes were nowhere near Paris. I completely agree with the watered down Castle so far this season (though, ironically, this 2-episode arc righted that ship somewhat). Let's hope the remainder of the season is stronger.
With the exception of the forest, all of the "Paris" exteriors were shot in Paris with a locally-hired second unit crew. Molly Quinn let it slip in a Twitter post that three people from the show went to Paris: Molly, Paul Scott (Fillion's stunt double), and director Rob Bowman. They were there for five days. Entire Castle episodes normally are shot on an 8 day-schedule.

I found it odd that Fillion didn't go himself, because the stunts really were not that dangerous at all (well, at least they wouldn't have been without Molly's spike-heeled boots!), but I suppose that liability insurance and travel costs for him would have been twice as expensive, and there was always the chance that Fillion would be recognizable enough to stop traffic, which would have caused delays and inflated the costs even more.

The "unoccupied 18th century mansion" that the Russians were squatting in was actually an empty house in Beverly Hills, and the office building and underground "mole lair" were built on-set. (For those interested, here are more photos of the mansion as it looks when not hosting a film crew: http://www.planitserver.com/host_104...d8=&id9=&id10=)

Last edited by NotUrsula; 02-27-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #410
sleepydog25

Quote:
With the exception of the forest, all of the "Paris" exteriors were shot in Paris with a locally-hired second unit crew. Molly Quinn let it slip in a Twitter post that three people from the show went to Paris: Molly, Paul Scott (Fillion's stunt double), and director Rob Bowman. They were there for five days. Entire Castle episodes normally are shot on an 8 day-schedule.

I found it odd that Fillion didn't go himself, because the stunts really were not that dangerous at all (well, at least they wouldn't have been without Molly's spike-heeled boots!), but I suppose that liability insurance and travel costs for him would have been twice as expensive, and there was always the chance that Fillion would be recognizable enough to stop traffic, which would have caused delays and inflated the costs even more.

The "unoccupied 18th century mansion" that the Russians were squatting in was actually an empty house in Beverly Hills, and the office building and underground "mole lair" were built on-set.
I should have been more specific--it was clear in some scenes with Fillion that they were not actually in Paris. I generalized when what I meant was him, in particular, so I'm not surprised to find he didn't go based on your comments.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #411
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
I should have been more specific--it was clear in some scenes with Fillion that they were not actually in Paris. I generalized when what I meant was him, in particular, so I'm not surprised to find he didn't go based on your comments.
It actually looked a lot like blue screen (green screen?) behind him.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #412
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Yes, they used a green screen in a couple of scenes, most obviously in the one where he answers Martha's phone call with the Eiffel visible behind him -- the fade from the green screen still to the moving location footage was unfortunately very noticeable. When I saw that I wondered why they didn't choose to set up that establishing shot from the opposite perspective. It would have worked much better to have had him answer the phone inside a doorway with the interior shot behind him and then have him "turn" in the opposite direction to use footage of Scott's back with the Eiffel visible that way.

BTW, ABC just confirmed that Castle has been officially renewed for a sixth season.

Last edited by NotUrsula; 02-27-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #413
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

spoilers:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mega-Buz...s-1061957.aspx
Kate: The moment that I met you, my life became extraordinary. You taught me to be my best self, to look forward to tomorrow’s adventures. And when I was vulnerable, you were strong. I love you Richard Castle and I want to live my life in the warmth of your smile and the strength of your embrace. I promise you that I will love you, be your friend, and your partner in crime and in life. Always.

Rick: The moment we met, my life became extraordinary. You taught me more about myself than I knew there was to learn. You are the joy in my heart. You’re the last person I want to see every night when I close my eyes. I love you Katherine Beckett. And the mystery of you is the one I want to spend the rest of my life exploring. I promise to love you, to be your friend and your partner in crime and in life. Till death do us part, for the time of our lives.

Kate: This has been an epic year, Life's been full of joy & tears. Solving crimes & catching killers, Just like Castle's favorite thrillers. We share a passion every day, As partners go, we're here to stay
Old 02-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #414
sleepydog25

Quote:
Yes, they used a green screen in a couple of scenes, most obviously in the one where he answers Martha's phone call with the Eiffel visible behind him -- the fade from the green screen still to the moving location footage was unfortunately very noticeable. When I saw that I wondered why they didn't choose to set up that establishing shot from the opposite perspective. It would have worked much better to have had him answer the phone inside a doorway with the interior shot behind him and then have him "turn" in the opposite direction to use footage of Scott's back with the Eiffel visible that way.

BTW, ABC just confirmed that Castle has been officially renewed for a sixth season.
Good to hear.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #415
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

spoilers:

http://tvline.com/2013/02/28/once-up...edium=facebook

And I'm kind of curious where you saw the official word of the renewal. I follow ABC on Twitter and Facebook and didn't see anything. I know a TV website rated Castle's renewal as a "sure thing" but that's the most I've seen.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #416
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

My apologies, it seems that I mis-spoke. It came from someone I trust to be reliable, and I got the impression that it was a more official thing than it actually was. I still think the intel is solid, but it is not official; that was a misunderstanding on my part.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #417
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

Quote:
My apologies, it seems that I mis-spoke. It came from someone I trust to be reliable, and I got the impression that it was a more official thing than it actually was. I still think the intel is solid, but it is not official; that was a misunderstanding on my part.
No worries. I just couldn't figure out how I missed the official word since I follow Marlowe, Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic, etc. on Twitter, and I had been on ABC's website too, plus postings on Facebook.

I do agree that they are a shoe-in for renewal. They just got their highest ratings ever for the 2 part episode (as well as good reviews). But until we hear the official word.....

Old 03-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #418
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

Pictures from episode 17:

http://www.wetpaint.com/castle/galle...facebook.com#1

Old 03-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #419
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

The "cake spoiler" from the 100th episode hints that it is going to be another Hitchcock homage of sorts. Hint: someone hurts a knee.

(To see the cake spoiler, google Castle 100 cake" and check out the photos.)
Old 03-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #420
Missy1961
Knows who did it and why

The kiss from "Always" in black and white:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApCgM...em-uploademail

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: