Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
TheDoleWhipper
The tiki room is NEVER complete without a dole whip!

Did we plan enough days???

Hello! I just joined the DIS yesterday and have a few questions. We will be going to Disneyland for the first-time (never been to any disney park) from June 15th to 19th 2015, staying at the Disneyland Hotel (we have already booked). But there is one thing I am stressing about... I do not know if we will have enough time! This is our first and only visit as a family and we plan to take advantage of EMH and fastpasses, and also mid-day breaks. The people who will be going are my mom and dad (who have no interest in extreme rides or roller coasters) my brother, and I (teens/preteens). My brother and I want to ride almost every ride, see quite a few shows (not all of them, though) and have no interest in characters (except for maybe one character breakfast).

So... here is our plan

Day 1: Monday June 15th: Get the earliest flight possible, arriving around 11 am, then spend the rest of the day at parks/pool/Downtown disney
Day 2: Tuesday June 16th: Spend all day at DL (we have have non-park-hoppers)
Day 3:Wednesday June 17th: DCA
Day 4: Thursday June 18th : DL again
Day 5: Friday June 19th: DCA again, all day until whenever we feel like leaving. That day we will leave DLR and check in to the KBF hotel, but really, we can stay all day until the park closes if we want to.

So we have 4 nights and 4 1/2 days at DLR... Does that sound good, or will we need to rush and go commando to get everything done? Thank you for all your imput!
TheDoleWhipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

It's not that much more expensive to purchase 5-day tickets compared to 4-day tickets, so I'd consider getting a 5-day ticket and going into the parks on your arrival day (Monday). The parks should already be on their summer operating schedule, which means late closings (midnight at DL and 10:00 pm at DCA).

I think you'll have enough time to get a lot of things done, but two days per park may not necessarily be enough to get everything done. Longer hours means more time to do things, but it is summer time, so I would expect higher crowds. I think you'll have a harder time finishing DL in two days than you would DCA.

I would also seriously consider getting park hoppers. The two parks are only 110 yards a part, so it's very easy to get across. I do a lot of split days (start in one park and then hop to the other park). In the summer, this can be very useful because DL is often open an hour or two longer than DCA. So after DCA closes, I "hop" over to DL for a few hours.
figment_jii is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
YukonMommy
Mouseketeer

I would consider getting 5 day park hoppers. It will be summer and that means summer crowds, but later summer hours.
I would also point out at this moment your parents may have no interest in extreme/thrill rides, but that may change once you get there! Something about being at Disney makes you feel like a kid again, so much so my Mom (who was 63 at the time) ended up riding everything (including the thrill and roller coasters!!)

Have a magical time!

Disneyland trips 1982, 1989, 2011, 2013,2014, planning March 2017
YukonMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
thewelts
Mouseketeer

It is the perfect length of stay!
5-day Hoppers for certain
Aulani * December 2011 * DVC
Disneyland * March 2012 * Disneyland Hotel
Disneyland * May 2013 * Grand Californian DVC
Disneyworld * December 2013 * Grand Floridian DVC
Disneyland * December 2014 * Grand Californian DVC
thewelts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
TheChapman6
DIS Veteran

I would upgrade to hoppers too. Also while walking back to the dlh you will have to walk through downtown Disney anyway so stop in a few shops each time instead of doing it on arrival day. Add the 5th day on your tickets you will be glad you did

DLH May 2013, PPH Feb 2014, GCH Sept 2014
TheChapman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
RemainSeatedPlease
Earning My Ears

I would recommend spending your arrival day in the parks. As mentioned above, you will need to walk through Downtown Disney each day to get to/from the parks and your hotel, so you don't necessarily need to set aside dedicated time for it. I might also save the pool time for another day when you are ready for a mid-day break from the parks.

For a first time visit, I would recommend a minimum of 4 days. Although the parks seem small, there is a remarkable number of things to do and see. Although there are some key attractions in DCA, there are more attractions in DL, so you will likely want to spend more time there. For this reason, if possible I would suggest getting park hoppers - I usually set aside 2 days for DCA as well and then find myself hopping back to DL sometime on the 2nd day. If you have a choice between a 5th day in the parks or park hoppers...I think I might actually go for the park hoppers. This way you can maximize the time you do have in the parks.

Have fun! You seem savvy (you signed up here, didn't you ), so I'm sure you will read around and find some great tips for your trip. My personal suggestion is to ride Star Tours as many times as possible.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
Blue32
DIS Veteran

I would also say go to the parks on your arrival day if possible. We don't normally do this, but we also spend a full 5 days in the parks. Even if you don't decide to get the hoppers, you can't go wrong with more time in the parks...especially DL. Have a great first trip!
Blue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
luulu1999
DIS Veteran

The more the better!! You should be able to get a lot done in what you already have planned but the more the better, we did 5 days in July and got SO much accomplished and make good use of FP's and that will help a lot....you will be hooked and want to go back over and over!! It is AMAZING

TRIP REPORT STARTED:http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post52056072
DS(6) DD (5) DBF Me

Christmas 2012-1st Disneyland trip-hopefully many more to come
Summer 2014-Disneyland Summer trip
luulu1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
gottalovepluto
Mouseketeer

Five days is great for DL. You'll be able to do everything you want. Park Hoppers are a must. With adults/teens/preteens you may find the kids wanting to head back into parks late at night & the parents taking the night off their feet. That way if you did DCA that day (which closes a couple hours before DL) the kids can head in to DL to do Indy or some of the roller coaster DL rides. You can also spend your last day hitting your favorites from both parks. We found we hopped so much more then we ever expected especially staying onsite.

Another note, you'll be hitting a couple grad nites. There is lots of info on that here on the boards and differing opinions. But basically to me this means a large influx of high schoolers into DL especially at night from around dinner until their party starts in DCA at like 11pm. Meaning you may find yourselves spending the day in DL moving to DCA at night and heading back to DL for closing.

These were examples of the main reasons my family was so happy we did park hoppers when we did a similar trip with similar age ranges to you.

The park hoppers will give a lot of flexibility and definitely worth it when there for 5 days.
gottalovepluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
TheDoleWhipper
The tiki room is NEVER complete without a dole whip!

Thank you everybody! It seems like it is best to spend a day in the parks when we arrive! Still not sure about park-hoppers... we will see. Thanks again for all the quick responses!
TheDoleWhipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
farmfresh
DIS Veteran

Go with the park hoppers! Now that the FP system has changed they are not quite as useful, but in terms of planing dinners, parades, shows etc they are invaluable. Also remember that some of your party may enjoy some rides more than others - the hoppers give you flexibility to pursue the things you really want to see. And they do still work with rides with long FP times. You could be in DL in the am, then pop into DCA before your break to grab RSR or TOT passes for later in the day.

I also second the 5 day pass. When you are there there will be fireworks, Fantasmic and WOC at night. You may want to spread your park nights out to fit them all in.

You will really enjoy the DLH and the access it gives you to EMH. Have a great trip...and keep planning!
farmfresh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
corinne76
Mouseketeer

Like other have said, do 5 days!! Last June we did 2.5 days at DL and 2 days at DCA. I probably could have gone more

You can get a lot done in that half day, especially if you stay til closing.

Have a great time!
corinne76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #13
Kristina4109
Saying which Disney destination is better is like asking a Mom which kid she loves the most

Five days is a luxurious amount of time to spent at the DL Resort. You will have enough time to thoroughly enjoy both parks, DTD, your hotel, and even pop into the other 2 hotels if you feel like it. Since everything is so close to each other and within walking distance, popping out of a park to spend time in DTD is no big deal.

I absolutely think you should get park hoppers if it's in your budget. Park hopping is EASY in DL. You go through security on your way to the entrance to both parks. So once you're in DL Park, you can hop to CA Park without going through security again, and vice versa. We don't hop often in WDW because of the travel time, but we do it all the time at DL!
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Kristina4109 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #14
thewelts
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmfresh View Post
Now that the FP system has changed they are not quite as useful,
What, what what?????
Hoping to clarify... How has the FP system changed and when? Are both parks connected now?

Example: We would normally pull a FP exiting DL at lunch. As we walk through DCA --returning to the Grand Californian -- we would pull another FP. We would do the same in the evening -- Hit DCA for a FP and then onto DL for another.

Please tell me this hasn't changed. I love bouncing back and forth between parks!
Aulani * December 2011 * DVC
Disneyland * March 2012 * Disneyland Hotel
Disneyland * May 2013 * Grand Californian DVC
Disneyworld * December 2013 * Grand Floridian DVC
Disneyland * December 2014 * Grand Californian DVC
thewelts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #15
ClaraOswald
Mouseketeer

I would 100% get park hoppers. You can just walk back and forth between the parks as much as you want. It's super easy and close.

ClaraOswald is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
days, disneyland, disneyland hotel, first-timer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: