Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #31
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessfionasmom View Post
Do you have to use a TA to get military discount on SW?
No - you can also do it by calling Southwest, directly...
Old 09-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #32
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Military discount airfares are usually much higher than the regular discount fare. I wouldn't bother.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #33
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryinginaustin View Post
Do I "like" AFVC or Bonnett? I do "like" AFVC.
"Like" AFVC.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:09 AM   #34
kirrrby
We're all mad here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
Military discount airfares are usually much higher than the regular discount fare. I wouldn't bother.
That depends on what part of the country you're coming from, and what time of year. The Military discount through Delta has always been cheaper than any other fare we've found. This was flying from RDU (raleigh durham airport) to MCO (orlandos airport). We got a base fare of 125 round trip. This was back in April, after spring break, before the memorial holiday. So we were in between peak airline fares. I have personally never flown with Southwest, but if the fares are good debate on whether having no baggage fees is good too. Some airlines charge up to 50 bucks per extra bag. If you're like me, I fly with more than one suitcase and a carry on because of my medical supplies, but they still make me check it.

"Yo ho, yo ho a Navy life for me"

I've eaten at 183 out of 241 restaurants at Walt Disney World (76%)

kirrrby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #35
Local_Girl
DIS Veteran

I would also recommend checking out AFVC, as we've gone with them or Skyauction for condos a few times (they have similar inventory). It really depends on when you're going as to what the availability will be like though. If you're planning to go during a busy week such as Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter or during the summer months, you might be out of luck. Their best inventory is for slower times of the year. And you really do need to do your homework about which resorts are better so you don't get stuck in something less desirable. We've stayed at Hilton Grand Vacation Club, Cypress Pointe, Orange Lake, and Silver Lake and have had good experiences at all of them.

BTW, PrincessSuzanne, thanks for the tip about Bonnet Creek on Facebook! I'd love to snag a stay there!
Local_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #36
PrincessSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local_Girl View Post
I would also recommend checking out AFVC, as we've gone with them or Skyauction for condos a few times (they have similar inventory). It really depends on when you're going as to what the availability will be like though. If you're planning to go during a busy week such as Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter or during the summer months, you might be out of luck. Their best inventory is for slower times of the year. And you really do need to do your homework about which resorts are better so you don't get stuck in something less desirable. We've stayed at Hilton Grand Vacation Club, Cypress Pointe, Orange Lake, and Silver Lake and have had good experiences at all of them.

BTW, PrincessSuzanne, thanks for the tip about Bonnet Creek on Facebook! I'd love to snag a stay there!
It's actually AFVC on Facebook that regularly offers the $299 for a 7 night stay and I don't think Bonnet Creek is part of that.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #37
andi220
Earning My Ears

If you don't mind staying off property, you can try the armed forces vacation club. Very cheap and nice rentals not far from disney. We still bought our tickets and such at SOG.
andi220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #38
PrincessSuzanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by andi220 View Post
If you don't mind staying off property, you can try the armed forces vacation club. Very cheap and nice rentals not far from disney. We still bought our tickets and such at SOG.
That is what we have been discussing
Old 09-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #39
wed100105
Mouseketeer

We are military and owners at Wyndham Bonnet Creek so we stay there. There are often owners like myself who rent out 2 bedroom deluxe units for $100 a night, $700 for the week. I'd highly recommend renting through an owner instead of going through something where you don't know what you'll get. This year we're trying to trade into DVC and I am actually thinking I might not want to. When I total up that the DDP isn't as big of a savings for 2012 as it was in year's past and that I'll have to pay for internet, I'm starting to reconsider. We love Bonnet Creek and if you have a car, it really can't be beat!

I use my timeshare and stay at Bonnet Creek. Here was our budget for last March. HTH

Park Tickets $138 x 2 (DH and myself; DD was free)
Food $800 (ate several TS, some CS, made two grocery runs, HDDR)
Flights $280 x 3 (DD was 2 so she needed a ticket)
Souviners/Snacks $300 (didn't spend nearly that much)
Rental Car/Gas/Parking $300

~ $2500 for 2 adults, one free child (but not free souvenirs, etc!), 2 bedroom deluxe (not counting my points though) during a busy spring break week

We also went to Sea World for the day since they had free tickets once a year for military. We really enjoy Sea World.

We actually ended up staying 8 nights and it was much better since our flight DEPARTS at 8:10 am. (It's a very early morning for us, but we're home by 10:30 AM our time.)

HTH!
Old 09-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #40
DisneyMomma81
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSuzanne View Post
It's actually AFVC on Facebook that regularly offers the $299 for a 7 night stay and I don't think Bonnet Creek is part of that.
I found BC on getravelop.com

I "liked" them - so hopefully they'll post similar deals. I work for the treasury.
DisneyMomma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #41
Local_Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to check out AFVC on Facebook when we have some plans in the works.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #42
kirrrby
We're all mad here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wed100105 View Post
We also went to Sea World for the day since they had free tickets once a year for military. We really enjoy Sea World.
Just thought i'd clarify this... If you've used the Anheuser Busch Here's to the Heroes "free salute" ticket anytime during the year you won't be able to get the free tickets for Sea World. It's once per the promotion to any of their parks. Busch Gardens VA, Busch Gardens FL, Sea World, Water Country USA, Sesame Place or Adventure Island. Otherwise, you can get up to 4 free tickets per eligible ACTIVE DUTY person. Spouses with i.d. will be linked to the Eligible service member.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #43
Local_Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrrby View Post
Just thought i'd clarify this... If you've used the Anheuser Busch Here's to the Heroes "free salute" ticket anytime during the year you won't be able to get the free tickets for Sea World. It's once per the promotion to any of their parks. Busch Gardens VA, Busch Gardens FL, Sea World, Water Country USA, Sesame Place or Adventure Island. Otherwise, you can get up to 4 free tickets per eligible ACTIVE DUTY person. Spouses with i.d. will be linked to the Eligible service member.
I think it's great that AB has this promo. Wish it included retired military as well so we could use it, but it's still a great opportunity for the active duty folks.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #44
kirrrby
We're all mad here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local_Girl View Post
I think it's great that AB has this promo. Wish it included retired military as well so we could use it, but it's still a great opportunity for the active duty folks.
If i remember correctly, when the promotion was originated back in 2007-2008, it did allow retired/veteran military. But people were forging the paperwork that showed Honorable Discharge and veteran status. No one knew how to check these. So people were getting in free, even if they never served. That was just rumor though.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #45
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Go to the AFVC website and click search at the bottom and put in Wyndham Bonnet Creek or Property ID # 6369 and it will pull up the resort for you.

If you are on Facebook, "like" them and every couple of months, they offer a $299 for 7 nights, that is a steal.

I talked to somebody that said that Silver Lake was a really nice resort and it isn't far from AK
We went through AFVC and stayed at Wyndham Cypress Palms, it was very nice. We have also stayed in 2 rooms at Pop several times.

Tags
budget, family, military

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: