Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #16
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryinginaustin View Post
Does everything with AFVC work on short notice?
With AFVC you search the region you want for the time frame you want to see what is available. Every time I have looked for Orlando I have found many options available. You then decide which one you want and book it from there.

When the resort comes up it shows how many people the room sleeps and whether it has a full or partial kitchen. http://www.afvclub.com/ is the website so you can search and see. You can then search tripadvisor for reviews and look for the website to see what that particular one offers.

If it is available than it will work with short notice.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #17
kirrrby
We're all mad here....

This is how we're doing our December trip. We have two members with military i.d.'s in our party. Mine is a spouse i.d. from my pending divorce (we're in separation at the current time) that's still valid. The other is my boyfriend whom has an i.d. also.

Tickets
: 4 day park hopper promotional tickets, 2 tickets per person (thus getting the maximum allowed per i.d. = 6 (3 people) and then the other person buys 2 on his i.d.
6 day tickets:
Tickets with Military promo = $1,104 (NO TAX!, if bought at ITT or SoG)
Stars and Stripes tickets = $1,396 (but includes water park fun and more tickets)
Regular WDW tickets at Rack rate = $1,256 (park hopper only)

We chose the promo tickets because it was easier to buy two sets and use them back to back instead of buying one set and then a two day ticket.

This is our final option that we decided to go with in December.

Two value rooms at All Star Sports
(includes KTTW card, free parking, EMH, and all WDW perks. Military discount for Value resorts = 30% possibly 35% (that's what we got).
Total for room = 922.00 (with tax) 66.50 for weeknights, 73.50 for weekends.
Try to go during the week, weekend rates are higher!!!

The two rooms was a better deal because of the type of party we have, it's four adults and we like our space. Versus one room at SoG for 105 a night, or two rooms at SoG for 210. PLUS the parking.

and purchase tickets at SoG upon arrival. If you choose to purchase the military promo tickets at the gate you will pay tax on them. If you purchase at ITT or SoG you will not pay tax.

Also, if you're going to fly. Delta and Southwest have military discounts. (I would talk to your ITT about that though)

Military discounts for Resorts go like this = 30-35% Values, 35% Moderate, 40% Deluxe. You don't get much difference in space except a few more sqft going up in classes. Mostly just about location. Also, book ahead in time, resorts have a limited number of military discounts they can give out.

Not sure about DDP, never used it. We like paying OOP for meals.

Hope this helps.

"Yo ho, yo ho a Navy life for me"

I've eaten at 183 out of 241 restaurants at Walt Disney World (76%)

kirrrby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #18
chiefmickeymouse
DIS Veteran

Don't forget to consider the fact that you won't pay tax on your room or food at Shades. It's a considerable savings. Shades has always been better for us, but we are only a family of 4. The extra fold out bed in the rooms is perfect for us since we have two teenagers, a boy and a girl. One gets the bed, the other gets the fold out. It' s a comfortable one too. I guess you need more space, though since there are six of you. I would definitely consider the Armed Forces Vacation Club unless you are stuck on staying on-site. I hope you have a great trip!
chiefmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #19
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

Can anyone tell me what the discount on tickets is with a military ID? I'm only doing two days, no hopper.
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #20
tryinginaustin
Earning My Ears

I am not sure of the 2 day pass...i know the four day military salute pass is $138 which may in fact be cheaper than the 2 day pass. Don't forget to buy on base or at SoG to avoid tax!!v
Old 09-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #21
uk_wildcat
Mouseketeer

The website for my ITT office shows that a 2 day base ticket is $173. It is a better deal to just get the $138 4-day park hopper unless there is another discount I am not aware of.
uk_wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #22
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_wildcat View Post
The website for my ITT office shows that a 2 day base ticket is $173. It is a better deal to just get the $138 4-day park hopper unless there is another discount I am not aware of.
Yes, the Military Salute/4-day park hopper is a much better deal than any of the "base" tickets normally sold by ITT.

If you are considering purchasing the promotional deal from your local ITT, make sure you give yourself a little advance time, as the ITT has to order those passes directly from Disney (since SoG is already on-property, they will have the passes in stock).
Old 09-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #23
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddies Mama View Post
Having said that though, I personally find a lot of magic in the huge money savings, as long as they don't put me in a dump LOL. There is plenty of magic to be had at the parks.

I completely agree!
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #24
kirrrby
We're all mad here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lttlmc3 View Post
Can anyone tell me what the discount on tickets is with a military ID? I'm only doing two days, no hopper.
If you get the promo ticket for 138$ you'll significantly save and to my understanding you'd still have two days left on the ticket that you can use between September 30th, 2011 to September 30th, 2012. So if you decided to go back during the same promotion you'll still have two days left on your ticket.

"Yo ho, yo ho a Navy life for me"

I've eaten at 183 out of 241 restaurants at Walt Disney World (76%)

kirrrby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #25
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

If I was only staying 3-4 nights, I wouldn't choose AFVC, although you don't have to stay the full 7 nights, you have to consider that you would still have to pay for parking at the parks and you would miss out on Extra Magic Hours, which is a big deal for us, we love the evening EMH's

I think 2 rooms at a Value Resort.

The Bonnett Creek Resort is on the AFVC website, but I believe it is more than the $369 but is still reasonable and it is technically on Disney Property, although you still pay for parking unless you use their shuttle.

The $138 for tickets can't be beat.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #26
tryinginaustin
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSuzanne View Post
If I was only staying 3-4 nights, I wouldn't choose AFVC, although you don't have to stay the full 7 nights, you have to consider that you would still have to pay for parking at the parks and you would miss out on Extra Magic Hours, which is a big deal for us, we love the evening EMH's

I think 2 rooms at a Value Resort.

The Bonnett Creek Resort is on the AFVC website, but I believe it is more than the $369 but is still reasonable and it is technically on Disney Property, although you still pay for parking unless you use their shuttle.

The $138 for tickets can't be beat.
Excellent response! Thanks! I didn't know that about the Bonnett Creek Resort!!!
tryinginaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #27
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryinginaustin View Post
Excellent response! Thanks! I didn't know that about the Bonnett Creek Resort!!!
Go to the AFVC website and click search at the bottom and put in Wyndham Bonnet Creek or Property ID # 6369 and it will pull up the resort for you.

If you are on Facebook, "like" them and every couple of months, they offer a $299 for 7 nights, that is a steal.

I talked to somebody that said that Silver Lake was a really nice resort and it isn't far from AK
Old 09-20-2011, 08:49 AM   #28
mel100204
Earning My Ears

Floridays Orlando Resort was our best option. For a 3 bedroom with the military discount it came to 111/night before tax. SOG ends up being more expensive because of rank for us too. We need the separate bedrooms.
mel100204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #29
princessfionasmom
DIS Veteran

Do you have to use a TA to get military discount on SW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrrby View Post
This is how we're doing our December trip. We have two members with military i.d.'s in our party. Mine is a spouse i.d. from my pending divorce (we're in separation at the current time) that's still valid. The other is my boyfriend whom has an i.d. also.

Tickets
: 4 day park hopper promotional tickets, 2 tickets per person (thus getting the maximum allowed per i.d. = 6 (3 people) and then the other person buys 2 on his i.d.
6 day tickets:
Tickets with Military promo = $1,104 (NO TAX!, if bought at ITT or SoG)
Stars and Stripes tickets = $1,396 (but includes water park fun and more tickets)
Regular WDW tickets at Rack rate = $1,256 (park hopper only)

We chose the promo tickets because it was easier to buy two sets and use them back to back instead of buying one set and then a two day ticket.

This is our final option that we decided to go with in December.

Two value rooms at All Star Sports
(includes KTTW card, free parking, EMH, and all WDW perks. Military discount for Value resorts = 30% possibly 35% (that's what we got).
Total for room = 922.00 (with tax) 66.50 for weeknights, 73.50 for weekends.
Try to go during the week, weekend rates are higher!!!

The two rooms was a better deal because of the type of party we have, it's four adults and we like our space. Versus one room at SoG for 105 a night, or two rooms at SoG for 210. PLUS the parking.

and purchase tickets at SoG upon arrival. If you choose to purchase the military promo tickets at the gate you will pay tax on them. If you purchase at ITT or SoG you will not pay tax.

Also, if you're going to fly. Delta and Southwest have military discounts. (I would talk to your ITT about that though)

Military discounts for Resorts go like this = 30-35% Values, 35% Moderate, 40% Deluxe. You don't get much difference in space except a few more sqft going up in classes. Mostly just about location. Also, book ahead in time, resorts have a limited number of military discounts they can give out.

Not sure about DDP, never used it. We like paying OOP for meals.

Hope this helps.
2/02 ASSp - 5/03 offsite -5/04 Pop - 9/04 DCL - 5/06 Pop - 3/07 SOG - 12/08 SSR/POP - 10/09 BLT/OKW - 06/10 BWV/BLT 01/11 BLT - 1/2 Marathon 09/12 celebrate DH's recovery from BMT & 15 yr wedding anniversary! 05/13 Expedition Everest 5k w/DS 10/13 GFV Adult only W&D Next up 11/14 BLT for W&D 1/2 marathon
princessfionasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #30
tryinginaustin
Earning My Ears

Do I "like" AFVC or Bonnett? I do "like" AFVC.

Tags
budget, family, military

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: