Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #406
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

At Be Our Guest we were... wait for it... putting their service to the test. Ahem. For Bryan, this is one of the highlights of the whole wedding experience. What we wanted the most from our guests was for them to see WDW through our eyes. "You're going... again?" our friends and family say when we tell them we're planning a Disney vacation, because they're wondering how many times we can ride roller coasters at an amusement park. We wanted our guests to see the theming, the storytelling, the high level of service, and overall attention to detail that goes into the best Disney experiences, to which Be Our Guest most assuredly belongs.

When we walked into the restaurant, my bridesmaids jaws dropped, because they were walking into the Beast's castle. More than any other place in the parks you are a part of the movie; for a Disney fan, there's no more immersive experience. On the other hand, Bryan's BM, who's not a Disney fan, was able to enjoy the experience from a purely gastronomic perspective, because the food was very good and they even had one his favourite beers available. For the first time since we got to Disney, everyone was having a good time, sharing the same Disney experience. It was definitely an extra cost to get all our guests into the parks, but we have no regrets; it really is the perfect rehearsal dinner venue.

A bit of odd experience: For those who haven't been to Be Our Guest for dinner, the three dining rooms (the ballroom, the west wing and the gallery) are open for seating, and the servers openly encourage you to wander into the various rooms and take photos. My dad took them up on their suggestion and went to the west wing for some photos of the rose. An irate guest dining in the west wing got into my dad's face for taking photos of the room, because he felt his dinner was being disturbed by all the extra traffic. I can see how strange people weaving around the tables can be a nuisance, but if you want a quiet private dinner with your family, Be Our Guest isn't the place to have it, so I have very little sympathy for this gentleman. Not to mention that our server encouraged us to go take a look at the other rooms and snap some photos. So take it up with management, jerk.

Anyway, it was an excellent meal topped up with a heaping plate of the "Grey Stuff" for all of us to share. I think we were all well and truly enchanted and I am so glad I could make Be Our Guest the site for our rehearsal dinner. It was perfect!

Night-night Be Our Guest! But we'll be back...

We were a little late getting out of the restaurant, and weren't able to make our way to our usual fireworks spot. We didn't even make it past the hub and spilled out in front of the castle after the parade.

It was a good spot for the pre-Wishes castle projection show. It's such a concentrated dose of Disney nostalgia that both of my BMs cried. That set up some more waterworks during Wishes. We've seen a lot of Disney fireworks spectaculars in our travels, but Wishes is still the tops.

MOHs and I hugged at the end, mascara streaming down their cheeks.

In spite of the long, gruelling day, we still had the energy to go on a few more rides.

Think tea! This is our go-to ride photo pose--hold up your teacup and saucer ladies!

And on our last foray through Space Mountain the CMs spotted our buttons and gave us a copy of our ride photo as a gift.

Think tea!

Before leaving, though, we were finally able to secure the Photopass cards for our guests from the Town Square Theatre, which we planned to give out to our guests at the meet and greet party the next day.

Up next: I make an early morning escape, the Meet & Greet and then finally the nerves really hit.
2013 WDW Wedding: BWV & GF | 2013 DCL: Fantasy 7-Night | 2013 ABD: BSM
LittleKittyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #407
1EvilQueenfan
Mouseketeer

I'm enjoying your TR! Where did you get you bride button from??

Thanks Jodi
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #408
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1EvilQueenfan View Post
I'm enjoying your TR! Where did you get you bride button from??

Thanks Jodi
I got the bride and MOH buttons from Icing or Claires. Not sure which one it was specificially, I think Icing.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #409
1EvilQueenfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKittyMarie View Post
I got the bride and MOH buttons from Icing or Claires. Not sure which one it was specificially, I think Icing.
Great thanks. I'll look at both
Old 08-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #410
Kaylars
Mouseketeer

Yay, still glued so far, I'm taking notes off to the side for our honeymoon there next year (WDW first timers). I can't believe that guy for saying something, what a jerk. Your Space Mountain photo is hilarious, at first it almost looks like you guys are "smokers" still pretty funny (hope you don't mind me saying that lol)
You guys looked so happy and truly can tell you we're having a great time.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #411
charliegirl76
Mouseketeer

I am really enjoying your TR!!! It really looks like you all had so much fun! Your girls are great, I love that they managed to get you into all the "FastPass" lines at Universal.....I love WWoHP!!!! I will be making another trip there after they finish the expansion. I could go on and on about it...so much fun!

The guy in the restaurant was a jerk! I can't believe people react that way...he needed to get over himself. Where does he think he is anyway? People take pictures *everywhere* at Disney so, it's not that unexpected to see someone taking a photo in a restaurant.

Honestly, I want to comment on everything, but it's just too much....just know that you're doing an excellent job of reporting and we're all having fun getting to re-live your trip with you!! BTW, I love, love, love the dual-perspective....keep it up!!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #412
Mel*Pie
Mouseketeer

I love your TR so far! It looks like you girls had so much fun. Your MOHs are so sweet.

The Groom POV was cool! It's nice to read about the day from another perspective.

So happy for you guys! Looking forward to future installments.
Mel*Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #413
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylars View Post
Yay, still glued so far, I'm taking notes off to the side for our honeymoon there next year (WDW first timers). I can't believe that guy for saying something, what a jerk. Your Space Mountain photo is hilarious, at first it almost looks like you guys are "smokers" still pretty funny (hope you don't mind me saying that lol)
You guys looked so happy and truly can tell you we're having a great time.
I know I can't believe a guy in WDW would be complaining about people taking photos. I mean, c'mon! I bet he took photos of the ballroom when he walked in too, so it's just silly. about the photo, I never thought of that, but after you mentioned it it kind of looks like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl76 View Post
I am really enjoying your TR!!! It really looks like you all had so much fun! Your girls are great, I love that they managed to get you into all the "FastPass" lines at Universal.....I love WWoHP!!!! I will be making another trip there after they finish the expansion. I could go on and on about it...so much fun!

The guy in the restaurant was a jerk! I can't believe people react that way...he needed to get over himself. Where does he think he is anyway? People take pictures *everywhere* at Disney so, it's not that unexpected to see someone taking a photo in a restaurant.

Honestly, I want to comment on everything, but it's just too much....just know that you're doing an excellent job of reporting and we're all having fun getting to re-live your trip with you!! BTW, I love, love, love the dual-perspective....keep it up!!
Thank you so much!

Yay for WWoHP love! I'm definitely going to have to make another trip over for the expansion too. Sigh, they know how to get my money!

Yeah, that guy in Be Our Guest was ridiculous. I'm glad my dad was able to just laugh it off, because it really ticked me off to hear it at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel*Pie View Post
I love your TR so far! It looks like you girls had so much fun. Your MOHs are so sweet.

The Groom POV was cool! It's nice to read about the day from another perspective.

So happy for you guys! Looking forward to future installments.
I never realized when DH said he wanted to help with the TR he meant writing full reports from his own POV. It's going to be good once we get to the wedding day I think, for myself to even read his perspective. I'm looking forward to reading my own TR at this point too, who knows what it'll say.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #414
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

So today is our At-Home Reception. This past week I have been going absolutely bonkers trying to get everything together and finish up all the tasks that were still on my to-do list. It was like starting the wedding planning process all over again. I think it will be fun, but for any future brides planning an at-home reception, I recommend keeping it as small and casual as you can. This feels like a bigger production than my Disney wedding, but this time there's no planner and fabulous team to take care of all the nitty gritty and make sure everything runs smoothly. Just me.

Anyway, I will depart for today's events with a TR update.

Day Four
Sunday, July 21, 2013
Wedding Eve: Meet and Greet

Sunday was supposed to be an easy day after a long day spent at the parks, but I woke up before dawn. In the days before we left for Disney, it seemed as if I was waking up an hour earlier each day and the tradition was carrying on despite exhaustion. I ended up messaging DH at 7:30 a.m. After some back and forth, we agreed that we hadn't had a chance to have some time together, just the two of us. We snuck out of our rooms and met in the lobby for a morning stroll along the Boardwalk. Well... the three of us, even though I'm pretty sure everyone I know knows that Bryan and I carry around our little Yeti mascot around for amusing photos, we didn't actually want to do it in front of them.

If the hotel itself is unremarkable, there's no doubt that the Boardwalk is a great feature for guests. On this morning alone, we ran into DH's parents and aunts, out enjoying the Boardwalk as we were.

We decided to try to go to Kouzzina for breakfast. We didn't have an ADR, but it was later in the morning, so it was only a little bit of a wait for a table. We weren't in any kind of a hurry. At another table were my mom's friends, and we exchanged pleasantries. We'd been to Kouzzina for dinner before, and it was unspectacular. Breakfast, on the other hand, was pretty darned good. Bryan had the Kouzzina breakfast and I had the waffles. We brought our pal Yeti with us, and our friendly server offered to bring him a dish of cream! She was so sweet to us!

Classic Golden Waffle with Whipped Mascarpone Cheese, Honey, and Chopped Pecans and side of Chicken Sausage

Stacked Kouzzina Breakfast - Two Poached Eggs, Kalamata Olive Toast, Artichoke Spread, and Sweet Potato Hash with side of Chicken Sausage

Breakfast over, there was business to be gotten down to: meet 'n' greet time! We stopped by the Screen Door General Store on the way back to the rooms for a few more supplies: some juice for punch, more chips and Mickey-shaped pretzels. As a DVC resort, the General Store is fairly well-stocked with a better selection of everyday goods than a regular gift shop, though you're definitely paying a premium for their wares.

Back at the room, Bryan and Ryan set to work prepping the food for our Mary Poppins-themed meet and greet party - cutting vegetables for a crudites platter, and heating up frozen hors d'oeuvres. The spread also included Florida orange wedges, wafer cookies and chips. To drink, we had sangria, punch and beer. And the girls and I set up the various decorations, mostly them. I was so stressed out I don't even remember what I was doing at this point to be honest. Or actually, I think Ashley blew dried my hair for me. Honestly, I was useless. I did the planning... good enough, right?

We patched in Mary Poppins to the TV from DH's iPad and piped in the soundtrack in instrumental form from my iPad. (My carefully planned playlist was MIA thanks to issues I had with iTunes the day before we left. Unfortunately it was only at this moment that I realized it.)

With thirty guests spread out over four hotels, we weren't sure who would show up. Our welcome bags had instructions on how to get to the Boardwalk from each hotel, but it was impossible to know if they'd read the instructions or received the welcome bags at all. We were glad, then, that almost all our guests found their way to the party. It was a great way for the guests to meet each other, and we were able to don our travel agent hats and give our guests some WDW advice.

The party wrapped around 4:00, and after cleaning up, the wedding party splintered into its various parts. The wedding was less than sixteen hours away.

Groom here.

After the Meet 'n' Greet, my BM and I went back to our room to rest and prep our tuxes for the wedding the next day. We'd both rented from a place in Toronto and brought the tuxes down to Florida in our suitcases, so they needed some serious ironing. Nicole told us that the wool coat would need a piece of fabric between it and the iron to prevent it from becoming shiny, so we had that covered. Nevertheless, both the iron and the ironing board in the room were much the worse for wear (the iron was weak and the board uneven) and they made the task of ironing each garment incredibly difficult.

Here we discovered a faint-but-still-very-noticeable stain down the front of my white dress shirt, like someone had spilled red wine on it, and then it had been washed--poorly. Thanks a lot, Andrew's Formals. We called the front desk and asked if they did emergency laundry on site (they didn't) and if there was a place to purchase a new white dress shirt nearby (not on a Sunday evening in Disney World.) Anyway, we discussed the various options before us: 1) just wear the thing and not open up the jacket, or 2) wear a regular white button-up shirt I'd brought. Ryan then offered up a third option: I'd wear his clean shirt and he'd wear the dirty shirt. That's a true friend for you--the shirt off his back, literally.

If you see the pictures, he's a lean, tall guy, but his shirt actually fit me and vice versa. The big difference was the neck size (my neck is thicker) so his shirt came across as a bit too big for him and a bit tight for me. In any case, crisis averted!

As my last meal as a bachelor we decided (somewhat reluctantly, due to the rain) on Big River Grille, which was fairly mediocre. I'm fine with that: it meant I had better food to look forward to in married life. As we sat by the window, we reflected on the at times unexpected courses our lives had taken, and the inevitable surprise ahead. I watched another wedding go by along the Boardwalk; it looked like the reception was happening at Atlantic Dance Hall because a limo was pulled up to the door.

(Bride interruption: Have you guys noticed how my DH knew and was even excited about writing this TR since before the trip, but didn't actually manage to take any photos of the stuff he did? Boys. If it had been me I'd have taken a stealth photo to find out if this was a DISbride wedding.)

On the way back to the room, we ducked into the General Store so I could get a card for Nicole's wedding gift: an antique Victorian padlock locket made of gold and jade. Never mind that I'd had months to buy a card. In any case, I searched around the store for an appropriate card and found only postcards. Moments before settling on a postcard with Mickey and Minnie on the front, I spied what turned out to be a fridge magnet set with Minnie and a speech bubble saying, "Isn't It Romantic?" Talk about a moment of serendipity, because "Isn't It Romantic" is the song Nicole and I were going to dance to for our first dance. I bought the thing, taped it to the gift box and knew that Nicole would know the significance.

My very last task before the wedding complete, Ryan and I retired back to the room and spent the rest of the night watching Arrested Development off Netflix. Not exactly your wild bachelor party, but, hey, it's who I am, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Back to the bride:

After the party-goers left we packed away the welcome party materials, my cousin Kevin who had arrived the previous day and was now also staying in our room went off to hang out with my aunt, and us girls started preparing for the next day. I had had a call that morning from Carolyn Allen's asking if they could come in an hour earlier to steam the dresses, at 5:00pm instead of 6:00pm, and pretty soon they had arrived.

It was a man and woman team, I confess I can't remember their names. The man was hilarious making jokes and chatting with the girls, it helped temporarily lighten my nerves. While the lady was steaming my gown she noticed that some of the netting had not been properly cut back on the hem of my dress. I always carry small sewing scissors with me so I did a quick snip, snip and got rid of that quickly. Of all the things, doing alterations to my dress the night before my wedding actually centered my nerves for a moment.

My dress on the ironing board all ready to go for the next day.

Focusing on things. I should have made more tasks for myself to focus on that day. I felt basically sick and nauseous all evening and night. Not because I was nervous about getting married, it was just so much hard work was about to all come together and there was so much potential for it not to work out. I had Disney taking care of it so I know I needn't have worried, but still, you can't help your nerves.

Vanessa did my nails. We'd picked out a pale sparkly pinky-champagne type colour and she had gotten Mickey Mouse head vinyl nail decals. I hate to even write this, but she probably did my nails about six times that night. I was so edgy that I kept ruining them before they'd dried. I could not sit still and be calm and wait long enough for them to dry. It was ridiculous. A couple of the nails she actually had to finish up the next morning because we just had to get to bed! I snacked on dry cereal that night. I was not hungry at all, but they made me. All the while we watched Newsies, which was perfect. And the Disney World episodes of "Full House" and "Sabrina the Teenage Witch." I had come prepared. I also wrote my card to Bryan. I had such a hard time focusing my thoughts I wish I'd written it before I'd left, but eventually I managed to collect myself enough to write my thoughts.

Around 8:00pm or 9:00pm we got a call from my cousin's girlfriend, saying they'd lost Kevin! What the heck! I was like, how could they do that but also I was like, you guys figure it out, I've got my own issues right now. Someone else can deal with that. Around 10:00pm there was a knock on our patio door. They'd brought Kevin back. The losing Kevin call had been a "Home Alone" reference. Ashley dealt with them (Kevin is her brother). I was like whatever, go away, I have to wake up at 3:00am.

Up next: The big day is finally here!

Last edited by LittleKittyMarie; 09-07-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #415
Kaylars
Mouseketeer

Oh I like the double TR POV going on, really good idea. Yay wedding day up next. I hope you have a great time at the home reception, it's a gorgeous location.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #416
MrsSpratt
I've got a Bazooka full of Pixie Dust, and I'm not afraid to use it!

I hope your at home went swimmingly and I cannot wait to read about your day!

The "Bueller" Family hits the world, with Auntie Spratt reporting Pixie Dust LIVE!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2215281
MrsSpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #417
charliegirl76
Mouseketeer

Sounds like the Meet and Greet was a success!! I can't wait to hear about your big day!! Pictures!!

I hope the at home reception went well!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #418
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylars View Post
Oh I like the double TR POV going on, really good idea. Yay wedding day up next. I hope you have a great time at the home reception, it's a gorgeous location.
Thank you, I'm lucky my DH enjoys writing (and reliving our honeymoon too!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpratt View Post
I hope your at home went swimmingly and I cannot wait to read about your day!
The at-home went very well, although it's impossible to top our DFTW so you know... it was great considering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl76 View Post
Sounds like the Meet and Greet was a success!! I can't wait to hear about your big day!! Pictures!!

I hope the at home reception went well!
The Meet & Greet definitely was great, and it was really nice to see everyone before ... walking down the aisle I guess. It was what I was hoping for anyway, so I'm very happy with how it turned out! And don't worry, there will be photos abounds for the wedding day! You'll be sick of seeing us.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #419
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

The Wedding Day -- Bride POV: Hair & Make-Up

Day Five --
Monday, July 22, 2013
The Big Day

Bride POV:

Ladies first, since I was up hours earlier than Bryan. I woke up before the alarm and I was close to having a nervous breakdown. My tossing and sighing evidently woke up Vanessa. I was felt like I was going to be sick with so much pent up nervousness, and I told her flat out I need to cry or I don't know what will happen. Well, she starting saying all kinds of sappy stuff about how Bryan was my soul mate and he was such a great guy and all this, and it worked. I had a giant bawl fest until our 3:00am alarm went off. I was still a little shaky, but as we tidied up and I stuffed all my leftover belongings in my suitcases, that by the time Beaute Speciale knocked on the door I was fine.

Beaute Speciale sent over two ladies to take care of myself, my MOHs and my mom. Bisi (I apologize, I'm pretty sure this is her name) who did our hair and Jenny who did our make-up. (Jenny also showed up twice more later on that week to take care of my hair and make-up for our MK and DHS bridal portraits.) I showed them my inspiration images which they both perused for a minute or so and then they set to work.

I had planned a whole playlist of our favourite music while growing up to play while this was all going on, but thanks to the same iTunes debacle that ruined my Mary Poppins playlist, I didn't have any of it. Luckily Vanessa had the Songza app on her iPhone, so she set up a Disney playlist and this worked out really well. The MoHs tried to guessed which songs were from which movies and the girls from Beaute were very impressed by our knowledge. Anyway, both girls from Beaute were excellent, really great to talk to and did great work making us look beautiful. After waking up at three (and earlier) and having a cry fest, the before photos are quite... horrific. Mine, anyway.

Vanessa was up first for hair and Ashley for make-up.

Ashley's was next up for hair and my mom for make-up.

As I waited for my turn, both Vanessa and my mom were mollycoddling me, feeding me fruit and cereal and various drinks whether I liked it or not.

My turn for hair and Vanessa for make-up.

Ugh! This is so unflattering. But hey, it proves these girls do good work!

Then it was double teaming on hair and make-up:

Veil time:

Once my hair was done, I moved to the make-up chair and it was my mom's turn for hair and finishing touches on the girls' hair.

While my make-up was being done my bouquet arrived. It was gorgeous and just as I had hoped it would be, and the girls' bouquets were gorgeous too. But was I supposed to tip the guy that delivered our bouquets? It's something I'd totally forgotten about. Around this time my dad also called Bell Services to drop my bags over at GF, and they were whisked away without me even noticing.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #420
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

The Wedding Day -- Bride POV: Photography Arrives!

Also while my make-up was being completed, my eyes were shut but I heard a female voice call out, "Good morning Nicole!" It was Cricket, our Disney photographer. Trinity had also arrived and began shooting. Now it was all really happening! (And more importantly better photos for the TR from now on! Yay!)

Just around this time something magically appeared in my hands, a little box with an "Isn't it Romantic" conversation bubble. I opened it up in front of everyone and inside was a little heart shaped locket from Bryan. From what he told me, it's Victorian, gold and jade with a little hidden compartment for a secret message or something. He knows what I love.

While make-up was being completed, my wedding items were taken away and photographed and video-taped.

Time to post an update to the Disbrides FB page!

Had to get one in! (Dean is hilarious, he took this photo and he also made it black and white and all formal looking, which made me laugh out loud when I saw it.

Then everyone left the room while I put my dress on and then came back in so that they could photograph it being laced. The girls only got through the top couple laces before the photos were done. Then we did a couple portraits and getting ready shots, my dress still not fully laced.

These portraits out of the way, everyone departed to go to Morocco and capture the boys.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: