Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #391
1EvilQueenfan
Mouseketeer

That's awesome that you got some pixie dust when needed ! Looking forward to more of your TR!

I can't remember but did you use Disney Fine Art Photography? If so who was your photographer? Would you recommend them? Did you do a MK bridal shoot?

Thanks
Jodi
Old 08-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #392
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you had a long first day, I don't blame you getting stressed! And your bridesmaids sound awesome - seems like they were right there when you needed them. Yay!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #393
Mel*Pie
Mouseketeer

Welcome back! Great first installment of your TR. Looking forward to the next one!
Mel*Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:46 AM   #394
alyaki
Mouseketeer

So far, it sounds like an interesting first day for you guys. I can't help thinking "awwww" about what your friends did for you with going out and getting the pins and candy.

Looking forward to reading more about your time down in Disney for your wedding!
alyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #395
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitch324 View Post
I'm so excited you started your trip report!! And I love that you are planning to include lots of details and pictures so you can have the memories recorded...because that means we all get to experience your trip vicariously!!

Your bridesmaids sound AWESOME, that is so terrific that they not only managed to hunt down the I'm Celebrating buttons, but that they managed to snag two of the coveted "Just Married" buttons. Sounds like they were really worth the "extra" you spent on their gifts...

Sorry to here that you had to deal with a lot of rain...and yes that ride from Downtown Disney to Boardwalk is ridiculous. It's so close!!! One of the many reasons I always have to have a car, I can't cope with not getting where I want to go when I want to go there (yes, I'm a brat )

Looking forward to seeing what happens next...

Brooke
Thank you! My bridesmaids really are amazing and they make quite a bit more magic for my on the trip too. I couldn't have asked for better girls to share my wedding with!

During the trip DH drove around WDW in a car and then he spent the rest of the trip telling me how much faster the way the bus wasn't going would be . We're even talking about doing a roadtrip down for our next visit, so looks like someone agrees with you about the car situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegirl76 View Post
Yay! Welcome back! I love the coffee table idea. I started reading, but will have to finish and comment when I get to my computer...too hard to comment on my phone. Yay, again!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Happy to see you are reading along! I need to get back and catch up on your PJ too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutejellybeen View Post
Congrats on your wedding!! So looking forward to reading all the details big and small!!!!
Yay, thank you so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1EvilQueenfan View Post
That's awesome that you got some pixie dust when needed ! Looking forward to more of your TR!

I can't remember but did you use Disney Fine Art Photography? If so who was your photographer? Would you recommend them? Did you do a MK bridal shoot?

Thanks
Jodi
Yes, we did use DFAP. For our main photographer we had Cricket, who was absolutely amazing. We loved working with her and we really love the photos she took. On the wedding day we also had Dean as an assistant photographer. There isn't a lot of mention of Dean out there as a Disney photographer but he was really fabulous. He was so fun, carrying around my dress and making jokes. And more importantly he took some really great photos too! I would definitely recommend them both, and especially Cricket who we requested for our wedding, she caught some really unique photos of us and she got all the photos I requested (but for the most part I just let her do her thing and experiment and it worked out really well!) I will definitely be posting my Disney photos soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
Sounds like you had a long first day, I don't blame you getting stressed! And your bridesmaids sound awesome - seems like they were right there when you needed them. Yay!
They really were right there doing their thing when I needed them, and then some! I knew then that I definitely had good friends by my side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel*Pie View Post
Welcome back! Great first installment of your TR. Looking forward to the next one!
Thank you! Next part should be up soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyaki View Post
So far, it sounds like an interesting first day for you guys. I can't help thinking "awwww" about what your friends did for you with going out and getting the pins and candy.

Looking forward to reading more about your time down in Disney for your wedding!
They really worked their own Disney magic finding those pins for me, it totally made all the stress worth it and reminded me that I should calm down and remember to enjoy it!
2013 WDW Wedding: BWV & GF | 2013 DCL: Fantasy 7-Night | 2013 ABD: BSM
LittleKittyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #396
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Day Two -- Groom POV

Day Two -- Groom POV
Friday, July 19, 2013
Operation Wedding Drop-Off and the Cuban No-Go

Groom here.

Whilst the ladies were engaging in enchanted frivolity at HPW, there was manly, testosterone-fueled work to be done back at the hotel: delivering welcome bags. BM and I got up early and walked to the Dolphin, where we, unwisely, had breakfast at Picabu. The surprise is that Picabu is both slow and expensive. They must have been hosting a Gullible Millionaires of Central Florida convention, because for whom else would $14 for a plate of eggs, bacon and hash browns be a reasonable thing? It also took twenty minutes to arrive at our table. By contrast, my post-wedding breakfast with Nicole at Kona Cafe was a comparable price with better service, and that meal involved pineapple, macadamia nuts, a delicious obscenity they call "Tonga Toast," and booze. Don't go to Picabu is what I'm saying.

Dine with millionaires daily at Picabu!

Why all the fuss, then? The Dolphin has rental cars buried deep in its belly, and we needed one to deliver our welcome bags to the resorts our guests were staying at: Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Pop Century and Polynesian. We were also stopping by Franck's to drop off items for the wedding day. The Alamo/National desk is just off the Dophin's main lobby, and the valets pull the car up and park it upon return. It's a good system.

We drove our rental Fiat back to the Boardwalk to pick up the welcome bags, and made our first delivery on foot to the concierge desk at the Boardwalk. With seven guest rooms booked at the Boardwalk, it was by far the most popular resort on our room block. The woman at the desk told us that a new policy mandated a $2 fee for each bag to be delivered to each room. It was a bit of a shock, but what could I do but agree to it? Apparently, the mandate was so new that no other resort we went to charged a similar fee, and each one gladly offered to deliver the bags to our guests, no fees and no questions asked. (Seriously, these concierge folks were psyched to help out with our wedding.) It could be that the Boardwalk is a convention hotel, and the gratis delivery of convention materials to hotel rooms simply could not stand, but you can make of that what you will.

Driving around WDW is a new experience for me, and a worthwhile one. It's not too confusing once you get the hang of it, and I now have a better sense of how the resort is laid out and the awesome scale of WDW. For example, our first two stops were Caribbean Beach and Pop Century. These two resorts are essentially across the street from the Boardwalk and adjacent to each other, but they're so big it takes five minutes to drive from one to the next. My BM was a capable navigator and we made quick work of our EPCOT resorts and made our way to the Magic Kingdom, to the Polynesian and then Franck's.

The delivery of our ceremony programs, favours, guest book and other wedding day miscellany was packed in a box, labelled with our names and our wedding planner's. It was as simple as handing the box to the secretary at Franck's, and everything ended up right where it needed to be on the wedding day. We were done our deliveries in under two hours. Phase 2 of Operation Wedding Drop involved us getting some authentic Cuban food--a near impossible find in Canada. After some research, we decided on Padrino's Cuban Bistro, which came highly recommended by the Orlando Sentinel and numerous internet sites. It was... disappointing. Very heavy and bland. Moving on to Phase 3.

Here's a hot tip: If you're running errands around Orlando for whatever reason--picking up a marriage license, renting a tuxedo or what have you--the best advice I can give you is bring quarters, because you'll definitely run into some tolls. We were... unprepared for the first one, and had to... creatively... avoid... it. Bring quarters!

In our efforts to make our guests' stay at WDW as comfortable as possible, we offered to get some groceries--milk, cereal and fresh fruit so that they didn't have to go out for breakfast every day. For a lot of our family, a Disney vacation is not their idea of how a vacation works. Vacation is camping, where they pack the car full of everything they need, and basically eat out of their hotel room. We drove to a Super Target and stocked up on plenty of supplies. Shopping for groceries was a bit of a chore, though. Things just kept getting piled into the cart. The hardest part was bringing the groceries to the room. The next time, we just get them delivered.

On the way back to the resort, we drove down the W. Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway. Nicole and I never ventured beyond Disney's comfortable hermetic bubble, so I'd never seen the strip of motels and gifts shops that line the southern gateway into Disney World. It also has the greatest concentration of chain restaurants one could possible dream of (or have nightmares of, depending on your opinion towards loaded potato skins): Denny's, Denny's , Denny's (there are three on the same street!), Perkins, Waffle House, Waffle House (aww, just two), IHOP, IHOP, Olive Garden, Ponderosa, Longhorn, Red Lobster, Bob Evans, Bob Evans, Black Angus, Applebee's, Ruby Tuesday, Cracker Barrel, Cracker Barrel, Chili's, TGI Friday's--you name it, they've got it. I think I got a full house, Dennys over IHOPs.

Just to break up the franchised monotony, Irlo Bronson Highway has a selection of wondrously gaudy "themed" businesses--buildings made to look like other things:

By Merlin's beard, what enchantment is this? It's a gift shop shaped like a wizard.

This place has everyone's daily intake of vitamin C. I wonder if a "fruit gift" is just a gift-wrapped piece of fruit, or a gift you give to fruit, like a box of sunshine.

There's a real fine line, I think, between what Disney does and what these enterprising folks are doing down in Kissimmee, because you could just as easily lob insults like "tacky," "tourist trap" and "poor taste" at some of the stuff that's being done in Disney World. But I also think that the fundamental difference in the care behind the theming, design and attention to detail comes through on the Disney side as well. Again, it was fascinating to see.

My BM and I are both avid cooks, so we thought it would be fun to cook a meal for the wedding party in the kitchen of the large DVC room my in-laws had rented. We settled on chicken jambalaya as a safe group meal, and bought the necessary groceries. The kitchen in the DVC room was adequate for the task, with a four-range electric stove, a large, heavy pot and a cutting board for prep. There was also enough glass dinnerware and metal cutlery in the room to serve all seven of us. The chef's knife was dull, however, and my BM had a bad time with the onions. Still, we managed to find some authentic andouille sausage (also hard to find in Canada) and the jambalaya was a rousing success. For me, it was one of the high points of the trip, because I had a lot of fun cooking with my BM, and the in-room meal helped the wedding party relax, chat and get to know each other. We also had unexpected guests who came knocking at our door, I guess Donald let them know we were in town. With food!

DUCKS!

This party of ducks were literally knocking on the door trying to get into our room.

While we were cooking Nicole's dad noticed the phone message light blinking. It was a message from Mickey and Minnie congratulating us on our upcoming nuptials. It was a welcome bit of Disney magic.

After dinner, the folks stayed in the room, and the bridal party strolled the boardwalk to Jellyrolls for some dueling piano action.

Last edited by LittleKittyMarie; 08-16-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #397
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Day Two -- Bride POV

This is the only day that requires a two part POV, mostly because DH was doing wedding things, but our girls day out was more interesting.

Day Two -- Bride POV
Friday, July 19, 2013
Girls-Only Hogwarts Express

Anyway, day two started off bright and early because I wanted to get to Universal by 8:00am. I saw Harry Potter World at midday on my first visit and I did not want to get denied entry to the park under any circumstances. As I quickly learned, trying to start my days off that early was seriously wishful thinking. We did not do too bad in these early days, my girls were excited enough to go for it. That being said three girls, one bathroom, plus Harry Potter-ish themed outfits and such... I'm really lucky we did so well.

Attack of the Hermione hair!

We made it out of the room at 8:00am. Again, not what I hoped for, but after dealing with the rest of my family later on in the trip, I'm amazed we were able to make it happen.

We skipped up to the lobby and had Bell Services us call us over a cab. The ride over was animated, we were totally excited, and conversation fluctuated between our (their - I was mostly just laughing at them) Disney cartoon crushes and our to-do lists for the trip.

Once we reached Universal we zoomed through the stairs and moving sidewalks, it was almost 9:00am and already there were hoards of tour groups gathering and marching into the parks. I wanted to go around them as quickly as possible and into Harry Potter World to at least get a chance at seeing the last vestiges of a crowdless park at opening.

No time to take good photos guys! Just keep walking! Keep left!

We power-walked into Islands of Adventure, no time to slow down and take a good photo.

Through Suess-land where the girls really started to get excited.

Into... Greek myth world? Where I had to remind them not to get distracted and finally... into The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Ravenclaw! (DH edit: More like Craven-flaw, amirite? Hufflepuff FTW!)

After a good amount of wide-eyed, mouth ajar oogling and photo-taking, we headed straight towards Hogwarts to get into a magical 75 minute line for Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. Well, what are you going to do, right?

This is gonna be the most magical 75 minutes of the day! Whoo!

We wound our back behind the castle through the area below the greenhouses discussing our excitement and taking an excess of photos of the castle and the scenery.

When we finally made it into the building, the first employee - it feels weird to write employee now, since I usually write CM... so, let's say, Hogwarts student - the first Hogwarts student was a Gryffindor and began heckling Vanessa about her Slytherin tie. She told him that she was really a Ravenclaw in disguise, so shh! and don't give her away. The Gryffindor shouted up to the next student, a Slytherin, not to trust her because she was really a Ravenclaw. Vanessa and the Slytherin girl high-fived or something for fooling that Gryffindor, and then the Hogwarts student saw her Maid of Honour button, and Ashley's MoH button and my bride button. "You guys are celebrating your bachelorette here? That's so cool! Head over and put your stuff in the lockers and then come back and see me."

Honestly I thought nothing of that. We plowed our way into that ridiculously crowded locker area, threw our stuff in (wondered how they prevent people for waiting in the 15 minute line outside by not just sneaking in through the locker exit in the shop) and then went to go back in the line. Getting the locker took so long I think we forgot about the Slytherin. Luckily she didn't forget about us! Hey guys, come over here and see me, she shouted before we got too far out. And then a really magical thing happened. She let us in through the line you use to just see the castle and not ride the ride... but to ride the ride! She had just skipped us in front of the 75 minute line and we didn't even realize it until we were halfway there! We are all looking at each other in bewilderment, like: what just happened? Did that just happen? It totally did!

Forbidden journey was a huge hit with the girls. We spent a bunch of time in the shop afterwards. Ashley decided she wanted to get a Gryffindor pin (her outfit slowly transformed into a Gryffindor uniform over the course of the day) and the line at that moment was huge. Usually I wouldn't bother mentioning how we spent time in the gift shop, except Vanessa was up to trouble while Ashley was paying and I was browsing. She decided to ask one of the Hogwarts students how they were assigned into their houses. She stops a guy and he tells her that they're sorted by the sorting hat of course, but just between him and her they got to decide which house they wanted to be in. From what I was later told, this conversation didn't end there. Long story short, the guy told Vanessa to bring us back later and he would get us onto the ride without waiting in the line. Trust me, by the end of this trip report you're going to want to make Vanessa your bridesmaid and bring her around with you.

Amazed by this (but I'll be honest, reluctant to believe it) we went off in search of more fun in Harry Potter world. We headed next to Flight of the Hippogryff. You can see Hagrid's hut in this line! Anyway, have you guys heard of Express Pass? Universal's version of Fastpass that you can buy (or get if you stay in a Universal resort hotel). Well... Vanessa went up to the Express pass line and asked the Hogwarts student if there was any way we could go through the express pass line, because we were celebrating a bachelorette party. And... he said yes.

What?! I have to be honest I'm totally flabbergasted by this day. What's the Universal Studios equivalent of extra pixie dust? Jurassic powder? Krusty creme? Whatever it is, we had some. Our bride and maid of honour buttons were about $3.50 each and express pass for a day is about $89 on top of park admission. I'm doing math here, balancing the odds, and just whoa!

Flight of the Hippogryff is a kiddy coaster, I guess? I thought I was actually filming our ride on it, but turns out the red light on my video camera means it's not filming? Boo! Anyway, it was fun! And we didn't wait in line!

After Hippogryff we decided to up the ante and go on the Dragon Challenge coaster. I'd never been on one of those coaster where your feet dangle (though I won't say I haven't had opportunity), so I was really freak out. Luckily I had less time to freak out because... you guessed it... our buttons got us into the express pass line. We veered toward the Chinese Fireball (red), and moments later I was sitting on my shoes in the ride car, freaked out and cursing my friends for getting me on it. All in good fun, of course, because it was truly thrilling!

Next more shopping, Ashley went for a Hogwarts sweater and tie so that we were all well and truly Hogwarts students now. And lucky for her, I'm quite proficient at tying ties.

I decided we'd better head into the Three Broomsticks for lunch. I was convinced it would be packed, but it was actually pretty empty. I was surprised. Why? Because we'd already done all of Harry Potter world I was convinced it must be after the lunch rush, 2:00pm perhaps? It was only 11:00am! The Three Broomsticks had just opened!

I tried to keep it as British and light as possible and ordered the Shepherd's Pie and a frozen butterbeer. (A pie made of ground beef, gravy and mashed potatoes and a frozen cream soda is considered British light, because they hold the black pudding.) The girl who gave us our food was totally psyched that we were having our bachelorette party at Universal and she wanted me to describe how handsome my husband-to-be was. Vanessa decided to play MOH and MOB and pulled out a photo of us kids to show off. It was all very entertaining.

We tucked in to our meals and butterbeers and for awhile really felt like we were in the Three Broomsticks and not just fangirls pretending, it was great!

Drinkin' butterbeer jus like Ron and 'arry!

After lunch Vanessa led the trek back to the Hogwarts castle gift shop to find this mystery student who was going to get us onto Harry Potter's Forbidden Journey again. Well, he didn't disappoint. He and another Hogwarts student came out and led us back into the skip-a-line express, and as we walked they gave us a tour of Hogwarts castle. Did you know J.K. Rowling made the builders reconstruct Hogwarts castle three times before she was completely satisfied? Did you know in the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom there are movie props to represent each of the DADA teachers? There are a lot of movie props in the queue and themeing!

Moments later we were on the ride again! And to commemorate we got our photo (and conveniently cropped out the fourth rider), yay!

To round out our Hogwarts experience we ventured into the line at Ollivander's, because Ashley as a newly outfitted Hogwarts student also needed a magic wand. Duh! I followed her around nodding as she did all this, because it is exactly what I did on my first trip to WWoHP! We waited an hour for this I think. But we met more nice people in the line, and got more butterbeer (carbonated this time--frozen is better), so it was all fun! I was really hoping they would pick either Ashley or Vanessa for the wand demonstration, because Hogwarts student out front tipped us on how we should like look excited in order to be picked. Our hopes were dashed when they picked a girl (about the same age as my MoHs too) who looked not at all excited and as it turned out didn't speak any English. Oh well! Exit through the gift shop. As Ashley searched for her wand I heard a father exclaim: "I waited an hour for that?!" I know sir, I know. I've done it twice! If you are a big HP fan it's kind of cool and you should do everything in HP world if you can, but it's really not worth an hour long wait.

We rounded out our visit with some shopping in Honeydukes and Zonkos, and a character photo op. with the Hogwart's Express conductor, why not!

Mmmmm!

Yummmm!

Errr...

Bye-bye Harry Potter World! Bye-bye midday summer crowds!

With Harry Potter behind us, we ventured back to the world of Greek myth... I never got a park map, so I really have no idea what this is called. The huge building with ruins and waterfalls looked like a really good ride, so we hit it up. Vanessa did her thing. We got in the express line. I was really shocked the whole day how this kept happening and I kept telling them not to press their luck, but I mean it was their call to let us through, right? Okay, so apparently this thing was called Poseidon's Fury.

Have you all noticed my welcome bag being put into action yet? I'm thrilled at how many of our guests used them on their trips!

If you've been IoA and been on this, then you know it is not a ride. We didn't know. I kept waiting for this to be a ride. It's a show... or like a walk-thru show, because the show moves through multiple rooms. Maybe if I had known this was going to be a show I would have enjoyed it more, as it was... it's pretty lame. Sorry Poseidon you need to amp up the Fury before I wait in a 60 minute line for this one. And I didn't even wait in the 90 minute line, so... seriously.

Backtracking through Seuss-land we decided to try riding The High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride". There was something like 10 minute wait? I told them, don't do it! Don't do it! And they did it. They flashed the buttons and the guy not only let us into the express line, he led us over to the elevator and let us up through the handicap line. I hope I'm not getting any employees in trouble here, it was truly magical (err... jurassical? Krustical? I know! Seussical!) that they let us do these things!

The trolley was another ride my video camera red-lighted but didn't film. Bugger!

Last edited by LittleKittyMarie; 08-16-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #398
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

We had our fill of Seuss, so we headed toward Marvel-land. What is going to happen to Marvel once Disney's ownership fully kicks in and Universal's licensing agreement expires? Who knows, as it is, Universal's version of Marvel has a lot of comic book imagery but also stuff from the new movies? Like life-size mannequins of Chris Evans as Captain America and Chris Hemsworth as Thor. Weird.

This looks strikingly familiar to some Disney merchandise I've seen before... Hmm...

I'm a Marvel girl myself, so I love it all.

But especially Rogue. She's my favourite!

We decided to head over to the Incredible Hulk ride. And by we, I mean my MoHs. I knew this ride had some kind of insanity record. I looked it up later and it apparently used to have the world's tallest cobra roll. Sounds crazy.

We went over, the line wait was something like 100 minutes and Vanessa tried her best with the bride buttons, but finally our luck had run out and we went into the regular standby line. I was kind of happy this had finally happened, I'm a very by the book girl, what can I say! Weeeelll... not two minutes later an employee from the front came up and said, "You girls are celebrating, right? Follow me." And yep, express line. I was shocked. I'm still shocked. When I got back to our hotel that night and told the story about how we waited in NO LINES, I was literally shaking from shock. It's astounding!

And speaking of shaking. That Hulk ride was so intense I had to actually pry my hands off the handlebars when we got off, because rigor mortis had set in and they were set to stay that way.

After Hulk while our things we still safely stowed in our free Hulk locker we hopped onto Storm Force Accelatron. Yes, it's seriously called that.

It's basically the Mad Tea Party ride over at WDW, except, Stormy and Marvely. This would have been a pretty standard ride through, except for the old man who decided to stand up in his Storm-themed-not-tea-cup-accelatron vehicle just as the ride started moving. Well, as it turned out he lost his wallet but he seemed very reluctant to get off the ride to go look for it. So, we waited a good while for the man to finally decide to exit the ride to go look for his wallet.

I forgot to mention, Ashley is a big Jurassic Park fan, so we were really on the hunt to make it back over to the Jurassic Park area. As it turns out, Jurassic Park is really close to WWoHP but we walked all the way around in the opposite direction to get to it! Oh well! There is of course one stop on the way to Jurassic Park, and it is... old newspaper comic strip... uh... ville? Yeah. That is really weird. They've got some rides there just begging for a retheme? Or do they not do that at Universal?

How tall are the average guests at Universal? ...

It was getting pretty hot so we decided to hit up Popeye and Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges. Is it just me or could some of these ride names use some editing down? There was a long line at the barges, so the employee told us he couldn't let us through express. And then a second later he said what the heck and let us do it. Amazed, really!

I've been on a couple water rides before at Disney and elsewhere, but I have never been so thoroughly soaked before and in my white blouse no less. As we rocked our way through around Popeye's boat kids were equipped with water guns to blast unsuspecting riders. Vanessa made the mistake of shouting don't hit me... guess who they all immediately aimed for!

Really and truly wet, we were the bilge-rats for the rest of the day.

Did you know Universal has giant dryers you can walk into and I guess the blow all over you and dry you off after their insane soaker rides? It costs $5. No wonder they want to get you so wet!

It was then that we finally made it to Jurassic Park. Cue the music.

Heads up guys! They've got a T-Rex loose in there! Ahh!

We decided to head over to the Jurassic Park ride. Yes we did express. And since this was our last ride of the day, I might as well just say we didn't wait in line for any rides and the only thing we did actually wait in line for all day was Ollivander's, I still really can't believe it, still. Really.

The Jurassic Park ride is both weird and cool. It's exactly like the movie, except it's a water ride. In some ways it makes Dinosaur over at Animal Kingdom feel like a more authentic Jurassic Park experience. The actual audio-animatronics on Dinosaur are cooler too, but it's hard to compete with Disney in that department. Anyway, it was great fun, but we ended up wet again and we got huge backlash on the final drop.

As we exited the gift shop it was after 5:00pm and we could see a huge black storm cloud rolling in on our perfect day, so we decided to make a dash back to the entrance to catch a cab before the masses started departing. Just as we got to the taxi stand it started dumping buckets on us. There was already a decent line for cabs, but apparently they were all waiting for vans or something because we were immediately called over and we were soon on our way back to Boardwalk, our girls day out complete!

And as Bryan wrote, we got back, ate his jambalaya and headed out to Jellyrolls.

At Jellyrolls they did the same thing they did to us last time at Atlantic Dance Hall. Denied us entry without our passports. I still think it's ridiculous to ask people to carry their passports into a nightclub, and they told us they have to do it because the ADH has that rule. (Obviously people would get denied over at ADH then get into Jellyrolls so they had to change all the rules for everyone, but not necessarily for the better.)

It was nice to hang out us young folks, and I'd say the Jellyrolls experience went over well with most of our party. The important part was we got a wedding shout out from two of the pianists (including my favourite) and they played Spice Girls. Totally satisfied bride.

Next up: Rehearsing the wedding, our first day at Disney World and a tearful end...
Old 08-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #399
MrsSpratt
I've got a Bazooka full of Pixie Dust, and I'm not afraid to use it!

I love the dual perspective of the report!

I can't get over how AWESOME WWoHP was for you and your girls - what a perfect day!

Love the details, keep it up!

The "Bueller" Family hits the world, with Auntie Spratt reporting Pixie Dust LIVE!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2215281
MrsSpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 AM   #400
cutejellybeen
Earning My Ears

you;re days were so different but so interesting to read!!! Hopefully after your last experience you guys all had your passports and didnt have to go back to get them? I agree though - I don't travel with my passport - that stays in the room safe!!
cutejellybeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #401
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Wow, I can't believe they charged you to deliver the welcome bags at the Boardwalk. Something definitely sounds off there. But the two of you just sound like super sweet, amazing people - stopping to pick up groceries for all of your family and friends and delivering all of those welcome bags!

You girls look so fabulous in your Harry Potter outfits! And wow, holy pixie dust or whatever Universal has! I bet Universal employees got more excited about your buttons because I'm sure a lot less people celebrate things like weddings there than they do at Disney... so it's extra special! I'm also slightly jealous of the little tour and fun facts you got about HP world. And yeah, I agree that Poseidon's Fury is pretty lame. But the Hulk is awesome!! One of my absolute favorite roller coasters. It sounds like you had a pretty amazing day!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #402
Kaylars
Mouseketeer

This is the BEST! I'm so happy you had a wonderful time and I'm really enjoying reading through your journey.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #403
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpratt View Post
I love the dual perspective of the report!

I can't get over how AWESOME WWoHP was for you and your girls - what a perfect day!

Love the details, keep it up!
Thank you! I can't believe our WWoHP day... every time I think about it, it's just so crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutejellybeen View Post
you;re days were so different but so interesting to read!!! Hopefully after your last experience you guys all had your passports and didnt have to go back to get them? I agree though - I don't travel with my passport - that stays in the room safe!!
Oh yes the passports... no we didn't have them. DH and the BM graciously ran back and grabbed them all for us because it was pouring rain and some of us ladies were in heels. They were in our safes, where they should be Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarygeek View Post
Wow, I can't believe they charged you to deliver the welcome bags at the Boardwalk. Something definitely sounds off there. But the two of you just sound like super sweet, amazing people - stopping to pick up groceries for all of your family and friends and delivering all of those welcome bags!

You girls look so fabulous in your Harry Potter outfits! And wow, holy pixie dust or whatever Universal has! I bet Universal employees got more excited about your buttons because I'm sure a lot less people celebrate things like weddings there than they do at Disney... so it's extra special! I'm also slightly jealous of the little tour and fun facts you got about HP world. And yeah, I agree that Poseidon's Fury is pretty lame. But the Hulk is awesome!! One of my absolute favorite roller coasters. It sounds like you had a pretty amazing day!
Yeah, I don't know about the charging for the welcome bag deliveries. I don't think I've ever heard of that happening to anyone else... but I also wasn't there, so I couldn't really do anything.

I agree with you about the Universal employees, and it's a good thing we had just standard buttons. I bet they wouldn't have been so friendly if we just wearing straight up Disney buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylars View Post
This is the BEST! I'm so happy you had a wonderful time and I'm really enjoying reading through your journey.
Thank you for reading!

I just wanted to quickly say that my TR is a little backed up because of all the stuff I didn't realize I still have to do for our at-home reception. It's in a week and a half and I still have a ton of details to finish up, so it's really taken away from my TR time. But I have definitely not forgotten or given up, so I will be more back on track shortly!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #404
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Day Three - Let's Rehearse this Thing! + DHS, MK & Be Our Guest Rehearsal Dinner

Day Three
Saturday, July 20, 2013
In which We Rehearse both our Wedding Ceremony and Leading a Large Group Around the World

Rehearsal day.

We were scheduled to all meet at the International Gateway at 8:45 a.m. along with Bryan's parents, who'd arrived the day before, and Rev. Glynn Ferguson. We arrived a little late, because my MOHs had forgotten their park passes and then while they were running back my dad went back to get the sunscreen. My mom and I stressed and fumed (the latter was my mom fuming at my dad) in the lobby while we waited. Then we booked it over to International Gateway arriving at 9:00am. Technically this was our rehearsal start time so we weren't that late, but we had all agreed on an 8:45am arrival. Honestly my dad always makes me late and so it wasn't even surprising. Once we got to International Gateway, it turned out we didn't need the park passes to get in, even though we were told we would need them. The guide just led us all through the gate with her lightsaber-guide-paddle. Oh well!

We immediately liked Rev. Ferguson, who was very polite, funny and affable with a charming southern drawl. He was easy to converse with and never made it feel like he was there on business or in a rush to be somewhere else. He's a former Disney cast member, so he knew exactly where to go and what to do for the rehearsal and later the ceremony. Our Epcot guide was similarly nice, and we all strolled into the World Showcase chatting and laughing, buoyed by the positivity surrounding us.

World Showcase hadn't yet opened to the public, and it was roped off just inside France with a cast member guarding the rope. You would not believe the feeling of reassurance when the cast member smiled and unhooked the rope as we approached: he knew we were coming. It's a small gesture, but it demonstrated the kind of coordination it takes to pull off a wedding in a busy theme park, and I was hopeful that same coordination would carry on to the wedding day itself.

Inside Morocco, we got our first glimpse of the Spice Road Table construction scene that would be just behind the ceremony venue: a tall beige wall barely obscuring an even taller beige tarp. The wall was lined with pots of flowers, but it was still a bit of an eyesore, no doubt about it. I was not impressed, my mom was making comments to me about being not impressed, DH was probably similarly unimpressed. Our bridal party probably thought nothing of it, since none of them had been to Disney in at least 20 years, if ever.

Once in Morocco proper we were met by Michelle, our wedding planner. If you've been following along, you know that she wasn't able to be with us for our planning session, so this was our first time meeting face to face. I don't know any wedding planners, and I probably never will, but can I say that Michelle is exactly the type of person I'd want to plan my wedding, so it's a good thing she did. After so much long distance planning with only our emails and a handful of images to make our vision a reality, plus our distinct lack of wedding experience (I'd only been to two weddings ever before my own!) we needed reassurance that someone knew what was going on. Smiling, soft-spoken, professional Michelle Wenzler-Dorr was this someone. She took our party and walked us through the ceremony, all the while telling us that two days from now, if we all arrived at point A, she'd make sure that she'd take us through points B, C, D and through the whole alphabet if necessary. It was exactly what we all needed to hear. My MOHs later told me they and my dad were already getting emotional at the rehearsal.

Rev. Ferguson had some advice for us, too. He told us to look at each other while he was talking instead of looking at him, even if it felt rude, because it makes for a better photo; it was great advice and I wish DH had remembered it during the ceremony. He also said to count "three alligators" (not spell! ) during our kiss--again, for better photos. It's nice to know he has the couple's priorities well in mind!

For the rehearsal, the venue was a basic set-up with a table underneath the archway as the altar and two rows of our requested white wedding folding chairs with an aisle down the middle. The interesting thing about the chairs was that they were the chair I expected, but they weren't wood. They were plastic. Is that how these chairs always are and I just assumed they were wood? A water station filled with ice water stood off to the side as well.

Nevertheless, Michelle took Bryan and I into the Fez house just to show us a second possibility for the ceremony. I considered it for about ten seconds, but we both agreed that the archway was a more open and brighter space. The fountain they have inside the Fez House is also louder than the one next to the archway. Also, out in front there was an actual chance of catching a breeze.

All told, the walkthrough lasted fifteen minutes, and before we knew it we were walking back to the International Gateway. Again, Rev. Ferguson stayed with us the walk back to the hotel; when my MOHs stopped to take some photos of the World Showcase, he stopped and waited with us. I wouldn't have blamed him for scurrying off to another "appointment" but he stayed with us and chatted with members of the bridal party the entire time. I am very glad we chose him as our officiant and can't recommend him enough.

With the day's wedding stuff out of the way, it was onto the more taxing business of park hopping with seven people. We boarded the boat to HS, bound for old-time Hollywood thrills.

DF had "Getting Hitched" written on his I'm Celebrating button

Normally, DF and I tour on our own, and it can be lonely at times as a frequenter of the single rider line, so I was excited to go on my favourite rides with other people who were not strangers. The large group, however, did present some problems. For one, it was already 11:00 a.m. by the time we arrived and HS was already packed. If we'd been on our own, we'd have been done most of the rides and getting lunch. Also, people get distracted easily, and it's WDW's business to distract with shiny, colourful, fun, cute things.

Once inside the park, DH collected everyone's tickets and raced to Tower of Terror for fastpasses while I led the group to Star Tours (my MOHs are big Star Wars fans, so it was a must-do.) Along the way I had to make a stop in DHS's photopass store to get our Photopass Plus card. We decided to do photopass plus because I figured we'd recoup our money on ride photos alone. We did. Unfortunately the photopass center in DHS's sign is so small that despite the giant old-timey camera that is the facade we all walked by it three times. We even asked a old-Hollywood police officer where we could find it... and a few walk-bys later Ryan spotted it and saved the day. Phew! Inside the CM was oddly passive aggressive towards Ryan because she assumed he was the groom and then when he said he wasn't, she turned on me for not having the groom nearby. It was a little uncomfortable...

And then as we were finally on our way we were accosted by Lone Ranger button pusher, and she forced a bunch of Lone Ranger buttons on us. This was the bridal party's first experience with Disney CM friendly service, so they all settled in to chat while I was trying to lead a charge over. Sigh. And then, bathroom break! Double sigh.

Needless to say, DH got the fastpasses and made it across the park to Star Tours and was expecting us to be done our ride any moment when in reality we hadn't even reached the ride's entrance yet.

Star Tours was a great hit with everyone! But there was still time before our TOT fastpasses so we decided to hit a ride my mom could go on with us in the meantime. As we walked DF and I fiercely debated Great Movie Ride or Backlot Tour? Ride or Tour? Movies or Backlot? We chose Great Movie Ride, it's on the way!

Well, we had some bad luck with delays that day: there was a long delay when we were in line for the Great Movie Ride. If the ride goes down who causes it, the ride mechanics or the CMs who do the spiel? Anyway, that ate up a lot more time than expected. By the time we got out we were ready for ToT and I was psyched! Everyone walked through including my mom and DH who had no intention of riding.

This is my exhausted bride version of "totally psyched"

This is the closest my mom is ever getting to riding ToT. Not bad, actually!

Our rooms are ready!

It was really thrilling to share my favourite ride with my friends, a real highlight of the trip for me. And my MOHs who are usually way more daring with the rides than me gave me shocked looks as we exited. I think Vanessa was mad because her skirt may have flown up? Not my fault.

This taught me to request the front row on our next ride...

Next up a fair lunch for all at the outdoor QS stands on the Sunset strip. I was trying to save room for dinner at Be Our Guest, so DH and split an Italian sandwich from Catalina Eddie's. It was probably one of the best QS meals I've had in DHS, although that isn't exactly high praise, I suppose.

My mom stopped and bought a giant chocolate muffin that was the size of a small cake. She was able to cut this sucker into seven pieces and we all got a decent taste. Also, apparently we were all really engaged in this decision. I don't know if this sounds ridiculous, but since I am a frequenter of the Disney Food Blog, it was really cool to have my mom buying Disney snacks like a WDW pro or something. Anyway....

Ooh, photopass!

And that was pretty much it for Hollywood Studios. Before we left, we stopped at guest services to convert our paper tickets (and my annual pass) to plastic cards.

Last edited by LittleKittyMarie; 08-28-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #405
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

A hop on the bus, a skip to the TTC and a jump to Magic Kingdom for a bit of fun before our eventual rehearsal dinner at Be Our Guest.

Again, DH (and Ryan this time) ran for hard-to-get fastpasses (in this case, Space Mountain) while we stopped to watch the three o'clock Celebrate a Dream parade.

This was really magical. We got a great spot right at the rope, for whatever reason there was nobody waiting in that area. So many characters and performers came up and congratulated us, it was like nothing else! Suzy and Perla grabbed my hand and ooh-ed and aww-ed over my engagement ring. Woody came up and kissed my hand. Bert practically had a conversation with me about how he wants to marry Mary Poppins but she isn't ready yet. It was hilarious! All the princesses waved and said congratulations and the fairy godmother made a heart with her hands in our direction. Amazing!

We then headed for Pirates of the Caribbean, but got predictably way-laid by a spur-of-the-moment desire by the bridal party to ride the Flying Carpets. We figured a character experience to be an essential WDW experience, so we lined up to wait for Aladdin and Jasmine. As we waited, it started pouring rain and what should have been a twenty minute wait stretched to an hour and a half. Why? Because Aladdin and Jasmine, who pose under a covered shop, are considered an outdoor attraction and all outdoor attractions go down until all lightening has dissipated from a seven mile radius. Why it is safe for us to all stand where they are during rain and lightening and not Aladdin and Jasmine? The real kicker though was when the flying carpet ride started up a good fifteen minutes before the prima donnas reappeared. But at that point it felt like, any moment they're going to come out so we can't leave. Ugh!

Quick nap circle!

The wait really was the low-point of the whole trip, so I suppose it could have been worse. Still, it was the only day that two of our bridal party had in the parks, so I regret the inefficient use of time. Can I just say that the Aladdin we met was the best Aladdin I've ever heard, and perhaps the most accurate character we've met in any Disney park. He had the face, the voice and the personality. A real... wait for it... diamond in the rough! So oh well.

Oh did I mention Aladdin asked me which of my MOHs was number 1? If Jasmine's look could kill....

We all were able to get on Pirates of the Caribbean, and pretty quickly. Huge hit with everyone, of course!

We took the train from Frontierland over to Fantasyland and then split up again while the thrill-seekers in our party handed in their fastpasses for Space Mountain while the meeker members took a leisurely stroll to Be Our Guest.

On the way, we received word my aunt, uncle, two cousins and cousin's girlfriend were stuck in Atlanta because their flight had been cancelled. It put everyone on edge for a few hours while we waited to see if they could get on another flight. Luckily, they were able to make it to Orlando later that night (it sounded like a real nightmare).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: