Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons > Planning our Happily Ever After
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
LadyD
Mouseketeer

A magical RCG and SBP Disney wedding

Hello all!! Renee and Diana here! We just officially booked our Disneyland wedding for this December. While we have wanted to get married for a while now, we have dubbed this our nightmare before Christmas wedding, due to the little time we have to plan it . A little background on us first.

Diana and I met in college as lab partners. Lab partners quickly turned into a wonderful friendship that became something more. I knew pretty quickly that Diana was the one I wanted to spend my happily ever after with, though it took a little while longer to convince Diana. Eventually, on the eve of our first trip to Disney World, Diana agreed that she wanted to spend the rest of her life with me as well . Though we could legally get married in the state we were living at the time, we both wanted to wait until there was greater federal recognition since we were not sure where we were going to end up and didn’t want to deal with any legal headaches.

A lot has happened since last summer. This past September, we made the cross-country trip with 3 dogs, 2 cats, and 1 fish to move to California (my home state). With the toppling of part of DOMA this past summer, getting married became an option for us. We have been riding the should we or shouldn’t we have a Disney wedding roller coaster for many years. Living much closer to the resort has made it a highly appealing option, but with family drama and the cost, we weren’t sure if we wanted to go through the hassle of a big wedding. Ultimately, we realized the only way we wanted to start our marriage was with a little help from the Mouse and some pixie dust at the happiest place on earth with our friends and family .

Now that the contract is official, we are starting our whirlwind planning adventure! Neither of us is exactly sure what we want the day to be like yet (we better figure that out fast!!), but we do know we want to plan an awesome celebration filled with wonderful memories. Any experienced brides (or grooms) are more than welcome to chime in with their experiences, things they’d wished someone had told them, or any tips to help with the planning process. Any suggestions or friendly advice is much appreciated .

Last edited by LadyD; 12-01-2014 at 06:44 PM.
LadyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:05 AM   #2
Serendipityblah
Earning My Ears

Oh wow that date is coming up fast! I'm sure the experts at Disney will be helping you every step of the way.

Whats your theme? I look forward to seeing your planning process! I've got a little less than a year until my big day. Will be fun to see how quickly yours comes together
Serendipityblah is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
NeeNeeBell25
Earning My Ears

WooHoo!

Super excited for a Nightmare before Christmas wedding!! So glad about the new laws too, my grandmas just got married and I couldn't stop crying from happiness. Can't wait to read more about your planning!
NeeNeeBell25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
andeesings
DIS Veteran

I loved reading your story and I'm so happy for you guys! I can't wait to follow along with your Disneyland wedding!!!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
elphie101
Left my heart in Tomorrowland

Lovely story!! Here's hoping the wedding boards will increase now that DOMA is gone Can't wait to hear more about your plans!

DH Me
WDW: '91, '92, '94, '01, '06 (offsite)* 7/11 Pop* 8/11 AS Music* 9/11 AS Sports* 12/11 CBR* 6/12 Pop* (TR Here!) 11/12 AS Movies* 1/13 Pop* 9/13 Pop* 5/14 Pop* 10/14 BCV*
DL: '03 (day)* 4/13 Fairfield Inn Anaheim* (TR Here!) DCL: 10/14 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean*

Star Command, over and out!*Hellllllooooooo Humans!*It's a great big BEAUTIFUL tomorrow!

Current TR: Our Disney Wedding & Honeymoon TR***Dining Review***Our Disney Wedding Planning Journal
elphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:12 AM   #6
LadyD
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all the positive responses! Both Diana and I look forward to reading over your planning journals to see your wonderful ideas and plans that you have in store . We are quite excited and feel so fortunate that we can legally be married now! Diana and I are both still in a bit of shock we are actually going to have our Disney wedding since for so long it seemed like it just wasn’t going to happen.

On with the details (that I realized we completely left out in our previous post )! We are having a wishes wedding and our wedding ceremony will take place in the Rose Court Garden, followed by a pre-reception on the Adventure Lawn, and a reception at the Sleeping Beauty Pavilion. Initially we had thought about doing a reception in the Brisa Courtyard, but we found out that they can’t really do music very loud or put a dance floor down, and that was a bit of a deal breaker for us. Diana’s family members are HUGE dancers at weddings. However, the Sleeping Beauty Pavilion is beautiful, so we are very thankful that it was still available for our date.

We’ve been debating a theme and tossing around décor ideas for a while now, and while we strongly considered a Nightmare Before Christmas themed wedding, we eventually decided against it. At this point, we’re leaning toward having a Beauty and the Beast inspired wedding. With the Rose Court Garden not being in bloom in December, we’re thinking that decorating with red and white roses would really help make the ceremony pop and match the inside of the Sleeping Beauty Pavilion well. Beauty and the Beast just so happens to be one of our favorite Disney movies from both of our childhoods .

We’ve also been looking over the food menus and discussing them. Neither of us eat meat, so we’re not quite sure how we’re going to pick a meal option. After looking over the menu options and thinking about our reception venue and our guests, we’re thinking about doing a plated service rather than a buffet. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge with the menu options and opinions on the meat dishes they would like to share with us? Our general experience with Disney food is everything is essentially super delicious, but neither of us has had their meat dishes since we were children.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #7
elphie101

Ohhhhhhhhh the Sleeping Beauty Pavilion. I swear, if I could have gotten my family and friends to fly to California for us I would have pushed for a DL wedding JUST for that venue. It's gorgeous! And the Rose Court is also stunning - probably what I would have picked for my fantasy DL-ceremony venue

I'm not sure how things work over on the other coast, but do you get to do a menu tasting? Maybe you can bring along a carnivore friend/family member who's opinions you trust to help you pick meat dishes?

DH Me
WDW: '91, '92, '94, '01, '06 (offsite)* 7/11 Pop* 8/11 AS Music* 9/11 AS Sports* 12/11 CBR* 6/12 Pop* (TR Here!) 11/12 AS Movies* 1/13 Pop* 9/13 Pop* 5/14 Pop* 10/14 BCV*
DL: '03 (day)* 4/13 Fairfield Inn Anaheim* (TR Here!) DCL: 10/14 Fantasy Eastern Caribbean*

Star Command, over and out!*Hellllllooooooo Humans!*It's a great big BEAUTIFUL tomorrow!

Current TR: Our Disney Wedding & Honeymoon TR***Dining Review***Our Disney Wedding Planning Journal
Old 07-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
EleishebaNacht
Earning My Ears

Congratulations! Your wedding sounds fabulous so far! I can't wait to hear more!
EleishebaNacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
Mindyjoy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyD View Post

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge with the menu options and opinions on the meat dishes they would like to share with us? Our general experience with Disney food is everything is essentially super delicious, but neither of us has had their meat dishes since we were children.
Congrats on your Disneyland wedding! Disney offers a lot of vegetarian and vegan options. Personally I have tried the Ratatouille (vegetarian), and the Lemon Meyer Tofu (vegan). There are several other options. Disney will bend over backwards to make sure you have the best day (and the best meal!)

Check your PMs because I sent you a message.
Mindyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #10
LadyD
Mouseketeer

Those vegetarian and vegan dishes sound amazing, especially the tofu! Thank you for the information. We were thinking about bringing a carnivore to try the meat dishes for us, but the most recent information I received said the tasting was for the couple only. I'll have to double check with them to see if it would be possible to have someone come in and try the meat for us. It would be great if we could do that and make us feel much more confident in our menu selections
Old 07-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #11
Mindyjoy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyD View Post
Those vegetarian and vegan dishes sound amazing, especially the tofu! Thank you for the information. We were thinking about bringing a carnivore to try the meat dishes for us, but the most recent information I received said the tasting was for the couple only. I'll have to double check with them to see if it would be possible to have someone come in and try the meat for us. It would be great if we could do that and make us feel much more confident in our menu selections
Our tasting was over two years ago, but we had the option to pay to bring extra people. We brought both sets of parents and our outside wedding planner. So we just paid for them to join us. Not sure if that's still an option. The cost would depend on what type of food you're trying (filet and lobster is more expensive than lemon tofu, I imagine!).
Old 07-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #12
LadyD
Mouseketeer

This past weekend was a fun filled weekend of wedding planning and ideas for Diana and me! Armed with our planning pages, we've been hastily trying to get a better idea of what kind of day we want.

Since our wedding is in December, sunset is right around our ceremony time. We're trying to keep that in mind for our ceremony decor ideas. We really like the idea of lining the aisle with some kind of light element and draping the front of the gazebo. They also have an option to have a chandelier hanging from the gazebo and we are definitely considering that. Here is a picture I found giving a little bit of an idea of what we would like.

Since it is December and not exactly the best season for floral selections (at least in terms of price), we would really like to stick with red and white roses for floral decoration.

Our reception is at the Sleeping Beauty Pavilion and they have an option to drape the room with chiffon and lights. We really like how that looks

This weekend we plan on continuing to get a better idea of how we want the day to look. It is also a big weekend because we're going wedding dress shopping ! Both Diana and I are going to wear dresses for the wedding. Ideally, we would like one of us in a black dress and the other in a white dress. It will be challenging to accomplish, but I have high hopes!

Neither of us is going to have any kind of wedding party. We're already planning this wedding so fast and don't want to put any extra stress/pressure on anyone else (many of the people we're close to are already in a few weddings this year and/or are attending destination weddings). We're going to be over the moon if most of our guest list is able to make it as is.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #13
elphie101

Ooooo the sunset ceremony lighting is just going to be gorgeous. I'm sure it'll make for great pictures. And that lighted draping in the pavilion? Be still my heart.

Yay for dress shopping!!! Depending on the style you're looking for maybe one of you could find a black dress you like in a designer's bridesmaid dress line - though if years of TLC have taught me anything it's that there are plenty of wedding gowns with black in them in the wedding world

DH Me

Old 07-15-2014, 11:31 PM   #14
Mindyjoy
DIS Veteran

The nice thing about the RCG and SBP is they are so organically pretty that you don't really need to do much extra with them!

We also did not have bridal attendants we constantly say it's the best decision we ever made. I am proof you can manage without them and still have a lovely and stress-free wedding.

I'm sure you will have no problem finding dresses for both of you. Both Davids Bridal and Alfred Angelo have lots of gowns in different colors, including black. Bridesmaids gowns (even in Ivory) are a good and affordable solution. Good luck with the shopping!
Old 07-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #15
LadyD
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindyjoy View Post
The nice thing about the RCG and SBP is they are so organically pretty that you don't really need to do much extra with them!

We also did not have bridal attendants we constantly say it's the best decision we ever made. I am proof you can manage without them and still have a lovely and stress-free wedding.

I'm sure you will have no problem finding dresses for both of you. Both Davids Bridal and Alfred Angelo have lots of gowns in different colors, including black. Bridesmaids gowns (even in Ivory) are a good and affordable solution. Good luck with the shopping!
All of the grounds at the Disneyland hotel are just so gorgeous! So rich and green! That is great to know about David's Bridal and Alfred Angelo. This is going to be our first time looking. We're actually going to a charity event that sells gently used second hand gowns and donated gowns from boutiques/designers for the purpose of donating the proceeds to supporting and educating families dealing with breast cancer. If we come up empty handed, we'll definitely have to check out the other stores! Thanks for the info .

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: