Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #46
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDr. View Post

Our Den trip to the firestation yesterday. The kids loved it and the firefighters put on a show for us with the water cannon. That thing has quite a range!
Very cool.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
stopher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #47
DisDr.
Caution: Doors Open Automagically Toward You

Successful rain gutter regatta this AM, won his first race... And had fun the rest of the time.

Then helped with clean up and made Christmas cards for soldiers.

DIS Dad's Club Member #475 DISDads Facebook Group Member

DisDr. is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #48
Bo Duke
(Jason) l You can NEVER make everyone happy, but You can make everyone miserable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDr. View Post
Successful rain gutter regatta this AM, won his first race... And had fun the rest of the time.

Then helped with clean up and made Christmas cards for soldiers.

Good to see your son looks very happy.

Now just a question I have to compare to...
The kids that didn't get 1-3 place, what did they do for them if anything?

March 1996 (HS band trip) Offsite(that was scary!), May 2011 CBR, Jan - Feb 2012 CBR, Jan - Feb 2013 POR, Jan-Feb 2014 POP

Bo Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #49
DisDr.
Caution: Doors Open Automagically Toward You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Duke View Post
Good to see your son looks very happy.

Now just a question I have to compare to...
The kids that didn't get 1-3 place, what did they do for them if anything?
They had trophies for 1-3 place and best in show for each level (tiger, wolf, bear). Everyone who participated got a medal.

We won 1 race, lost 2... Double elimination.... So we weren't last!
Everyone seemed to have a good time.
DIS Dad's Club Member #475 DISDads Facebook Group Member

DisDr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #50
brattosa
Mouseketeer

At our pack meeting tonight, our scouts screen printed their own class B shirts. Each feather in the design has a unique word: Klondike, pinewood, Shootoree, Blue & Gold, service and camping.

May '78-Offsite • June '95-Offsite • May '97-ASM & Contemporary (Honeymoon) • Nov '98-POFQ • June '99-ASM • May '02-ASM • May '05-Pop • May '08-Pop & Contemporary • June '10-SSR • Nov '12 SSR • May '14 SSR

DVC SSR Member
brattosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #51
stopher1

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattosa View Post
At our pack meeting tonight, our scouts screen printed their own class B shirts. Each feather in the design has a unique word: Klondike, pinewood, Shootoree, Blue & Gold, service and camping.

Very nice!

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 11-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #52
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattosa View Post
Very creative! I wish we had more energetic & creative parents in our Pack/Troop!
Chris DisDad#403
Me DW DS(15) DS(14) DD(12)

As Kid: 1978 & 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel -
Dec 2008 GF/Poly - Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF -
June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT - Feb 2012 AKL -
Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Mar 2015 GF VC
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:08 AM   #53
Bunch24
Mouseketeer

Glad I found this thread. My oldest has been in Cub Scouts for two years now (currently a Wolf) and loves it. Because my old job kept me busy pretty much 24/7, I didn't get to do a lot with him last year. This past weekend, I went on my first campout with him and he absolutely loved every second of it. Last year, he went with my dad and enjoyed it, but I think having his dad with him this year made it even more special.

I'd love to get more involved in his pack, but I'm new to the area and don't know any of the dads. This weekend, I spent most of the weekend just watching him play and do his activities. I didn't talk to many of the parents, outside of general chit-chat. I guess I'll warm up to them as I attend more meetings, which I plan on doing once football season ends.

I got the camping fever this weekend and I'm hoping he and I can do a monthly camping trip together. I was in scouting when I was younger, but had to stop after my first year in Boy Scouts because our den dwindled down to two boys and the nearest den to us was 30 miles away (ugh). I'm hoping he can stay interested in it, because I think it's teaching him a lot.

I look forward to learning some tips that I can maybe bring to our den and pack meetings.
DIS Dad's Club Member #467

Magical Moments
4/27/2002 - Honeymoon in Disney - Caribbean Beach
12/15/2005 - Christmas in Disney - FW Cabins
7/12/2009 -- Pirating in Disney - Pop Century
5/12/2012 -- Mother's Day Getaway - All Star Sports
6/8/2012 -- Dole Whip Frenzy -- Pop Century

Bunch24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #54
DisDadDoc
DDC #403
Galactic Hero & Proud Aspie Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunch24 View Post
Glad I found this thread. My oldest has been in Cub Scouts for two years now (currently a Wolf) and loves it. Because my old job kept me busy pretty much 24/7, I didn't get to do a lot with him last year. This past weekend, I went on my first campout with him and he absolutely loved every second of it. Last year, he went with my dad and enjoyed it, but I think having his dad with him this year made it even more special.

I'd love to get more involved in his pack, but I'm new to the area and don't know any of the dads. This weekend, I spent most of the weekend just watching him play and do his activities. I didn't talk to many of the parents, outside of general chit-chat. I guess I'll warm up to them as I attend more meetings, which I plan on doing once football season ends.

I got the camping fever this weekend and I'm hoping he and I can do a monthly camping trip together. I was in scouting when I was younger, but had to stop after my first year in Boy Scouts because our den dwindled down to two boys and the nearest den to us was 30 miles away (ugh). I'm hoping he can stay interested in it, because I think it's teaching him a lot.

I look forward to learning some tips that I can maybe bring to our den and pack meetings.
Excellent! Scouting is an excellent way to spend time with your boys!

Approach your cubmaster & tell him you'd like to be involved. Most packs are dying for help! Your local district will also have some good training programs that should give you good ideas (we just had our fall Pow Wow)

Good luck!
Chris DisDad#403
Me DW DS(15) DS(14) DD(12)

As Kid: 1978 & 1980 Polynesian - 1985 Off Property
As Dad: Apr 2006 Nick Hotel - Feb 2007 Nick Hotel -
Dec 2008 GF/Poly - Oct 2009 BLT - May 2010 GF -
June 2010 BWV - April 2011 BLT - Feb 2012 AKL -
Mar 2012 YCR - Jan 2013 OKW - Feb 2013 BLT -
Oct 2013 Contemporary - Mar 2015 GF VC
DisDadDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #55
stopher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDadDoc View Post
Excellent! Scouting is an excellent way to spend time with your boys!
Yes, yes it is!

I'm so proud of my eldest right now (moreso than usual)... as you might recall, my boys are in the Boy Scouts (haven't been in Cubs for more than 2 years now) - and we're part of a very large Troop - 137 registered Scouts, 98 registered Adult Leaders. We had our biannual Troop election Monday night for the Troop leadership (we are a Boy-Led troop as Scouting was intended), and Harrison was elected Senior Patrol Leader. So for the next 6 months, he's the big cheese. Pretty cool. He tried for the position 6 months ago and lost, but this time, he won. That was pretty cool. I led and closed out the standing O he got when his named was announced by the Scoutmaster. There were 8 candidates, and he won. There's lots of happy in our household this week because of that huge confidence boost for him.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #56
DisneyDadC
Dis Dad Member #187
time to order me up a bag of dole whip mix

I have some pics of our fall camporee just need to post them,also just did our food drive for the red cross. will get them up and share ,maybe this weekend
Dis Dad's Club Member #187 Dis Dad's Facebook Club Member
Tickets $,Travel $, Rooms Costs $,Putting a smile on a childs face=Priceless Keep up the Magic

DisneyDadC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #57
PhillyMc
Mouseketeer

I'm very exicted to see this group started. Has anyone ever taken cub scouts or even boy scouts to Disney? I know staying on property even camping would be expensive but maybe a local camp ground or even a FL scout camp?

A little about me:
An orginal Tigar Cub -Webelos-Eagle Scout-High Adventure Post
Vigal Honor Member
3 year Den Leader of 11 Bears at this time.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #58
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

So, when we kicked off our popcorn sales earlier this year, I told my den that if they hit a certain goal, I would provide an unspecified treat for the entire den. It was a sucker's bet - I expected to lose, and I wanted to lose.

And yep, I lost. (I knew I should have set the goal higher - they crushed it with ease.)

So, at Wednesday's meeting, I unveiled the surprise - I gave each boy a model rocket, and we spent the meeting building them (and painting some Christmas ornaments). Today, we met again to take their rockets out and launch them. Judging from the response, it sounds like I have inadvertently started an unofficial model rocket club. And that's a good thing.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 PM   #59
nickkweber
Earning My Ears

After reading many of the posts on this thread I feel like I have the same experience as many of you. I have been a little disappointed in how my son's troop has been progressing. As a former scout I want the same experience for my own kids, so I am taking over his Tiger Cub Den. How often do some of you meet with your den's? Right now they have been meeting once a month for a den meeting and once a month as a whole troop. Do any of you have more than one den meeting a month?
nickkweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #60
Bo Duke
(Jason) l You can NEVER make everyone happy, but You can make everyone miserable.

I always met twice a month as a den and once with the pack.(plus committee meetings) For the tigers there isn't a lot of in depth stuff to work on so games and extra activities will be needed to keep their interest.

Now on another note. I finally got one of the parents in my Tiger den of 13 to step up and take over for me so I can put more focus on the Pack as a whole. I can't believe how many parents just show up because they "have" to. I have been asking for a volunteer for several months now and just now got one. It is just unreal. (mini rant over)

March 1996 (HS band trip) Offsite(that was scary!), May 2011 CBR, Jan - Feb 2012 CBR, Jan - Feb 2013 POR, Jan-Feb 2014 POP

Bo Duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: