Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

The trip where everything tastes amazing, ESPECIALLY the F&G booths!-"Best of" Awards

So one of the things that I'm most excited about when returning from a Disney trip is being able to write a dining review! That's not weird, right? Well, I'm going to assume you all won't think so since you're reading this review

This trip was me and my husband going with my parents. We arrived on Sunday April 21st and left Saturday April 27th. We stayed off site at a timeshare, bluegreen's The Fountains. I'll get to a little bit about us in a sec, but I think I know what everyone really wants to know about first...

Where We Ate
T-REX
Columbia Harbor House
Sleepy Hollow
Be Our Guest
Tomorrowland Terrace Fireworks Dessert Party
Backlot Express
Mama Melrose
Flower and Garden - Fruits by the Glass
Flower and Garden - Jardin de Fiestas
Flower and Garden - Lotus House
Flower and Garden - Bauernmarkt
Flower and Garden - Primavera Kitchen
Flower and Garden - Hanami
Flower and Garden - Taste of Marrakesh
Flower and Garden - L'Orangerie
Flower and Garden - Pineapple Promenade
Rose and Crown
Three Broomsticks
San Angel Inn
Yak and Yeti
Earl of Sandwich
Tables in Wonderland Analysis
"Best" Awards

About Us
Now that that's out of the way, I can tell you a little bit about us!

I'm Becky, 25 years old and the big Disney fan. In terms of food I like seafood a lot. I tend to gravitate toward "healthier" foods like fish, fruit, salads, etc. - but I also enjoy a good dessert!

My husband, Jason, is 23 and a software developer. He enjoys Disney but doesn't love it in the way I do. He's also a big seafood fan but he also enjoys any food that is "unusual" - something new and different that he can try. He's a big fan of international cuisine like Japanese, Indian, etc.

My Dad is an architect and hadn't been to Disney since 2005 when we took a father/daughter trip. He loves to eat but can be a tiny bit on the picky side. He also absolutely loves desserts, especially ice cream (that's where I get my love of desserts from!).

My mom hadn't been to Disney since 1996, when we took our big family trip when I was 8! She's willing to try almost anything food-wise, though she is definitely not a dessert eater. Maybe that's why she and my dad get along so well, because he can eat all her desserts!

Thanks for anyone reading this so far, and I can't wait to start sharing all of my food reviews with you!

Last edited by librarygeek; 06-22-2013 at 11:59 PM.
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

I'm in...and I'm first
wilma-bride is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to your reviews!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
nutz2notz
Mouseketeer

Joining in.

June 2013: OKW
December 2012: SSR June 2012: OKW
March 2011: OKW First Solo
Janaury 2011: SSR then AKV Kidani
January 2010: Grand Californian
December 2007: SSR
January 2007: SSR
January 1996: Offsite
nutz2notz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

I am in!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Looks like a fun trip!

Jill in CO
Old 05-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
shalom
DIS Veteran

With the exception of Mama Melrose and San Angel Inn, those are all places I've eaten at or hope to next time. I'm looking forward to your review of the Wishes Dessert Party in particular. Finally talked myself out of that last time, but I think I'm going to have to give it a shot next time we're there.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
skatalite
Anybody interested in grabbing a couple of burgers and hittin' the cemetery?

Heck yes. Looking forward to this. You have some great restaurants there. Looking forward to the pics and your thoughts! Cheers!
skatalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
SusieBea
DIS Veteran

I'm riding along, too!
Off-site '75, 82, 85; 89: CBR; 92: PO: 93: Disney Inn; 94: OKW(2); 95: OKW(2); 96: HHI & OKW(2); 97: VB & OKW; 98: OKW(3); 99: OKW, DCL, & BW; 2000: OKW & VWL; 01: HHI & OKW; 02: Ft. Wild. cabins; 03: OKW & GF; 05: OKW, SSR, & Yacht Club; 06: OKW; 07: OKW; 08: Grand Californian; 09: OKW; 10: OKW(2) & OKW Grand Villa! 2011: AKV (2) & OKW (3); 2012: OKW (2) & OKW Grand Villa; 2013: OKW (3); 2014: BLT & Kidani; UPCOMING TRIPS: - 2014: GFV & OKW - Sept; SSR & OKW - December
SusieBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
I'm in...and I'm first
Welcome! And yay first@

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
Looking forward to your reviews!
Thanks, and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz2notz View Post
Joining in.
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
I am in!
Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Looks like a fun trip!

Jill in CO
We had a blast! Thanks for following along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
With the exception of Mama Melrose and San Angel Inn, those are all places I've eaten at or hope to next time. I'm looking forward to your review of the Wishes Dessert Party in particular. Finally talked myself out of that last time, but I think I'm going to have to give it a shot next time we're there.
Awesome! I definitely recommend trying the dessert party at least once

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
Heck yes. Looking forward to this. You have some great restaurants there. Looking forward to the pics and your thoughts! Cheers!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieBea View Post
I'm riding along, too!
Great, welcome along!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
Disney_Mama
DIS Veteran

I'm in. Can't wait.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

T-REX

T-REX was our first restaurant of the trip, where we headed after having landed in Orlando just a few hours earlier!

When we arrived at T-REX it was pouring outside, so we were quite happy to get in from the rain! We had a reservation at 6, and checked in around 5:40. It was so unbelievably crowded right there at the podium, with tons of people trying to get a walk-up and everyone trying to get into the store or under the ledge to get out of the rain. I wasn't given a beeper or anything, and we weren't sure what to do. When I asked at the counter they said to just wait, even though a line was forming to be seated. Finally we went up to the people that were actually seating and they said with a reservation they could seat us right away, and took us past the line and directly to a table. I'm glad we asked because it was such chaos up there I wouldn't have been surprised if we got lost in the shuffle!

I wasn't sure what my parents would think of the place. I booked it back when I thought my brother would be joining us because he likes dinosaurs and can be a picky eater (and he's 23 ). But they were absolutely blown away by the atmosphere. They adored it and thought it was so much fun. I'm glad, because I really like it too.

My dad was particularly excited that he got to sit right next to a dino, and that his dino friend "talked" to us every once in awhile. It made the meal really hilarious, because we kept joking about how the dino was joining in our conversations! He would roar, and we'd be like, "Oh, he definitely disagrees with you on that!"

For drinks, DH and I stuck with soda and lemonade. My parents decided to share a beer. I knew that all of the portions were large here, but they even made the beer look huge!

We decided to start our meal with all four of us sharing the Colosso Nachos - (Seasoned beef, pico de gallo, black beans, green onions, cheddar cheese, queso sauce and sour cream)

Can I just say - yum. These were some of the best nachos I've ever had. It was a nice surprise. My mom and I both give them a 9 out of 10, and DH gave them an 8 out of 10. As my mom said, she expected your typical generic nachos with the fake yellow cheese and skimping on the meat and the good stuff. This pile of nachos was huge, with real cheese and lots of everything else. She also liked that it uses the multicolored chips and not just yellow chips. We devoured this.

For meals, because we shared the appetizer and we knew the portions would be large, the couples each decided to split a meal. DH and I had the Paleozoic Chicken Sandwich - (Fried pizza dough with grilled chicken, lettuce, bacon, pepper jack cheese, avocado, tomato and lemon aioli):

We'd had it last time we were here and still loved it. I can't get over how well all the flavors in this sandwich work together. I give it an 8.5 out of 10. DH gives it an 8 out of 10, and commented that he really appreciates the uniqueness of the sandwich. In a place like T-REX where you might expect the food to be geared mostly toward kids, with just chicken fingers and burgers and the like, a sandwich like this is special. It's not something you can get just anywhere, but it tastes really good. Plus it's huge, easily enough for the both of us (with the appetizer), so at $15 between two people it's a great bargain. The fries are good too, though you need to pay a bit more to have them in place of chips.

Mom and Dad shared the Boneyard Buffet ( Fire-roasted Rotisserie Chicken and Mega Mes-O-Bones served with waffle fries and a side):

I think my dad really enjoyed it, though I still have to call him up later to get comments on the food My mom gave it a 7.5 out of 10. She said that it's not something she would've normally ordered, just got it because my dad was interested, but she enjoyed it more than she thought she would. It was delicious and all of the meat was very moist.

Overall we give T-REX a solid 8 out of 10. It was a fantastic way to kick off the trip, and T-REX does a great job of combining good food with a really fun atmosphere. This was my second time here and I'm sure I'll be back again.

We also used a Landry's card here. It costs $25 to sign up but then they give you a $25 credit, so that kind of negates it. Then for your birthday month they give you another $25 credit. Since my dad's birthday was in April we were able to save $25 on the meal! I highly recommend you get this card if anyone in your party is celebrating a birthday, it's an easy way to save a good chunk of change!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
partyof2
Colette

That chicken sandwich looks so good! I've been intrigued by it on the menu for a while so I'm super excited to have finally seen a picture of it!

Thanks for the tip about the Landry's card. It sounds like something we might be interested in, we visit in November and my boyfriend's birthday is then. We're planning on eating at Rainforest Cafe, T-Rex and Yak & Yeti.
Visit #2 >> Nov 2013 - POR
Visit #3 >> Nov 2014 - Pop
Visit #4 >> Oct 2015 - We're getting married!

partyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #14
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Great start!! I loved your honeymoon reviews, so really looking forward to this one!!

I also agree about TREX-- great food and atmosphere. I think it's far superior to Rainforest.
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #15
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

T-Rex always seems to get mixed reviews when anybody asks about eating there but we've always really enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Yes, it's loud, there's no disputing that - but it's good fine and the food is great for the price. We signed up for a Landrys card whilst we were in Vegas (at Claim Jumper) last month so I will have to remember the $25 discount for your Birthday since we will likely be going to T-Rex in March (when my Birthday is).

Great start to your 'Disney' meals - loving it so far.
wilma-bride is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: